Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Homophobic People Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ll-Mystic Rhythms-ll

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:21 pm
Is there really such thing as a homophobe that ISN'T ignorant or rude towards LGBT people?
I find the rude ones to be quite idiotic and rude, very rude. I saw someone reply to a topic on this subject somewhere saying:

"I hate them, they need to go back in the closet and stay"

and I felt pretty insulted, I even replied saying that was insulting and they said:

"I don't really care"

and I just feel sorry for that person, I mean every person has their own opinion and being homophobic is ok as long as you are not harassing a person or people just because they are gay, lesbian, bi, or transgendered.
Or is there really such thing as a nice homophobe?

What are your opinions and thoughts about homophobic people?  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:47 pm
ll-Mystic Rhythms-ll
Is there really such thing as a homophobe that ISN'T ignorant or rude towards LGBT people?
I find the rude ones to be quite idiotic and rude, very rude. I saw someone reply to a topic on this subject somewhere saying:

"I hate them, they need to go back in the closet and stay"

and I felt pretty insulted, I even replied saying that was insulting and they said:

"I don't really care"

and I just feel sorry for that person, I mean every person has their own opinion and being homophobic is ok as long as you are not harassing a person or people just because they are gay, lesbian, bi, or transgendered.
Or is there really such thing as a nice homophobe?

What are your opinions and thoughts about homophobic people?

When you say "nice" homophobe, I guess considering the homophobe's personality can be overall nice and friendly, but probably still be very against homosexuality or be disgusted by it. Otherwise, they wouldn't have a big fear of it or be called a homophobe.

My thoughts are them vary, depending on the person. Sometimes I feel bad for them, knowing they are really on the bottom of the evolutional chain (is that even a word? lol) are eventually their stupidity will catch up to them and they won't be a problem anymore. Sometimes they get on my nerves and I find them pathetic; thinking that calling me a 'gay' is a bad thing (even though I'm bi). Most of the times, I really don't give a sh** what they think or say. As long as they leave me alone, I will leave them alone.

BleedingInkXIII

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:10 pm
There is the fact that he who speaks the loudest often have the most to hide. blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:32 pm
I think there are such things as nice homophobes in the world. In fact, I know someone from my school who is a friendly person and incredibly smart, but she is a VERY strict homophobe. She despises anything to do with LGBT, including a Gay-Straight Alliance.
In my opinion of homophobes in general, I don't know. I don't like insulting anyone, but at least I can say that the stupid homophobes who harrass people for being gay or lesbian, or bi or transgendered should have their mouths ductaped. That's my opinion though. Other than that, I agree with DeathStarXII.

LillLazaru5

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100

Atrum_Anima

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:50 pm
I think that 'homophobia' is used to loosely. If so-called homophobic people were really homophobic, they would be literally scared of homosexual people. For example, a homophobic person sees someone he thinks is a homosexual, so the homophobic person bolts the opposite way and doesn't stop running until he's out of breath.

But anyway, I think that there are 'nice homophobic' people: people that are very nice, but were brought up in the wrong way. These people can usually be persuaded eventually to set aside their closed-mindedness.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:01 pm
Maybe some people are considered homophobic not because they don't like gay people but maybe because they don't understand them or that it's new to them so naturally, they try to avoid it without wanting to learn about it.  

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100

She Promised You Cookies

Proxy Guildswoman

8,450 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:30 pm
There are some nice homophobes out there. One of them is a girl I talk to online, and she's actually a nice person, she's strong too, but she doesn't like gay people. Then there's this guy at my school who is against homosexuality and abortion also, but he keeps it to himself. All the other times, he may be nice or an idiot, depending on how he feels, but of course, it's not attributed to homophobia.  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:28 am
i have a few good friends who are disgusted by homosexuality. they know im bisexual and a happy member of the glbt comunity but they ignore that part of me and i ignore that they dont like those things. some homophobes are nice as long as you dont shove your non straightness at them

just becasue your agaisnt something doesnt make you a mean person  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Ilphae

Sparkly Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:58 pm
I think it's sort of like being a racist. Yeah, you can be an okay person in other areas of your life, but it's such a glaring character flaw that it kind of makes you a crappy human being by default.  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:04 pm
I have worked with a handful of people who could be considered homophobic. They were always perfectly pleasant and civil to me, even though they believed homosexuality was wrong or a sin, and I am quite sure they knew I was queer. *shrug* I have no issue with people like that. They never said anything to me about their beliefs; it came up in conversation with others.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

TylerAnnihilate

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:51 pm
Something I don't understand is how ANYONE in the gay community can put up with homophobia. Homophobia, no matter the source, is UNACCEPTABLE.

And @Shanna66, saying that you can ignore their homophobia is tacitly endorsing homophobia. I've consistantly seen throughout this guild you saying that your LGBT status doesn't have anything to do with you as a person, but it does. You say it has as much to do with you as a person as the color of their hair, or their eye color. You can dye your hair blonde, but your hair will always be brown. You can wear blue contacts, but your eyes will always be brown. And I also think it's annoying when someone says stuff like that, ESPECIALLY when they're biseuxal because they could so easily go marry someone of the opposite gender. I think it's a cop-out.

Pretending that someone doesn't hate you and hoping that it goes away is doing the same thing as some homophobes pretend that you aren't gay, hoping that it will go away.  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:41 pm
I have a friend that I suppose can be considered a 'nice homophobe'. He's an all around great guy, but he believes that being gay is just wrong. Of course he knows I'm pansexual, and it bothers me a little when he says "I will respect it, but I think it's wrong." This doesn't mean he's a bad person. He'll still respectfully listen to what I have to say about my opinions on the LGBTQ community.  

Danny Cheltyka

Invisible Ladykiller

7,650 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:50 pm
Well, altthough homophobia is most commonly used as a description of hate, it can also be attributed to a fear of sameness/ routines.  
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:29 pm
TylerAnnihilate
Something I don't understand is how ANYONE in the gay community can put up with homophobia. Homophobia, no matter the source, is UNACCEPTABLE.

And @Shanna66, saying that you can ignore their homophobia is tacitly endorsing homophobia. I've consistantly seen throughout this guild you saying that your LGBT status doesn't have anything to do with you as a person, but it does. You say it has as much to do with you as a person as the color of their hair, or their eye color. You can dye your hair blonde, but your hair will always be brown. You can wear blue contacts, but your eyes will always be brown. And I also think it's annoying when someone says stuff like that, ESPECIALLY when they're biseuxal because they could so easily go marry someone of the opposite gender. I think it's a cop-out.

Pretending that someone doesn't hate you and hoping that it goes away is doing the same thing as some homophobes pretend that you aren't gay, hoping that it will go away.

Quoted for truth, and this goes for straight people too. If you allow homophobia in any form to go unchallenged then you are not a reliable ally. LGBT voices are already marginalized, and when they're the only ones speaking up it's easy for homophobes to spin it as "a vocal minority looking for special privileges."  

Ilphae

Sparkly Hunter

yellow_Adelle

4,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 12:49 am
those HOMOphobes
most likely had an experience
and decided to hate all gay people
but truly they love us 3nodding