Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Teaching Gay History in public schools? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Atrum_Anima

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:24 am
Maybe I missed it, but I never saw anything in the article that said that it had to be an actual class. I saw it as, while going over civil rights and the 1900's, there would be some notes over gay rights activists and whatnot. I think that this would be an awesome idea, because it would give students a bit more perspective on the "issue" of the lgbt community.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:26 pm
Visual Brian
Even I don't care about gay history. neutral

I remember watching the news once and seeing a "gay museum" was being created. I was just like, "Really? A museum."

This should be an elective if anything at all.

That's exactly the paradox the LGBT community is stuck in.
The fact that there is a debate over this sort of topic, and "gay museums" may seem like being more open to some people, but that, in itself is a form of homophobia (for want of a better word). It's the same with sexism.  

Mistress Le Gasp

HandsomeStanly

Sparkly Gekko

9,100 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:31 pm
Gay history should be more just a part of the ciriculum, you know part of a unit on human rights? not a whole coarse, thats over kill.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:33 pm
I've got a few contradicting opinions on this.

For one, having a separate class for it would be sort of saying it's something different from everything else. On the other hand, I've seen a Hawaiian History class, and thought, well, doesn't that apply to that? But Hawaiian culture is different from American culture and has a diverse history, doesn't it? So does gay history -- or LGBT history, maybe. So that's where I'm stuck thinking...huh.

Also, having a class on something like that, and people signing up for it and getting bad grades, might cause hatred or irritation towards the LGBT community in general. In my Japanese class, the kids who did badly kept bad-mouthing Japanese language/culture in general, and I can't help but worry that that might happen. It's like getting a bad grade in Science and hating the class forevermore, and being prejudiced against science. Plus, it's more fun to learn about it without worrying about a grade, right?

In all, it'd be best to integrate it into the regular history curriculum, in my opinion.

chadolbaegi

Fatcat

FeenixPhyre18

Tipsy Smoker

6,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:40 am
I just think they should integrate gay history, along with tolerance and understanding, into the regular history classes. Hell, they teach evolution in science classes so the overly religeous parents can't say much about that. I think it would be wonderful. heart Fear and hate is born out of not understanding crying  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:14 am
So now their just not placing one thing but now their separating gay people from history into it's own subject?They need to teach more tolerance to their students.  

Niko Narshe

Rich Wife

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:34 am
I like the idea

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2