Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Moral Dillema

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GO with the plan, or Find another story
  Go with it
  Fnd some other idea
View Results

Saturdays Tierce

Witty Informer

7,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:03 pm
So, I go to a competition for a local youth organization, and share what It means to me. The Staff there were some of the first ones to help me with coming out, and really saved me a lot of trouble.

Back to the competition, for next year my mentor wants to use this, and make a comparison to the teens who committed Suicide last year.

Now, to me, It feels Shallow. Very Shallow, but these competitions mean scholarship money, something I may have trouble getting else where.

I just wanted some input, I know that ultimately its my choice, but I'm still not quite sure  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:08 pm
As long as you don't manipulate information or stretch the truth, it doesn't seem to be morally wrong. You're just finding a way to use your past to your advantage, right? If you're more worried about your motivation for doing something like this, I wouldn't. Wanting to avoid debt isn't a crime. Plus, if this sort of thing inspires someone, you're hitting two birds with one stone.

(Am I understanding the situation correctly?)  

Atrum_Anima

Saturdays Tierce

Witty Informer

7,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:11 pm
Atrum_Anima
As long as you don't manipulate information or stretch the truth, it doesn't seem to be morally wrong. You're just finding a way to use your past to your advantage, right? If you're more worried about your motivation for doing something like this, I wouldn't. Wanting to avoid debt isn't a crime. Plus, if this sort of thing inspires someone, you're hitting two birds with one stone.

From what I can tell, yes, though I'm more worried about taking a tragic event, the boys dying, and using it to my advantage  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:13 pm
No one can tell you what to do, because morals are subjective.

It all comes down to if you think it's worth the cost.

(sorry if this doesn't sound like actual advice)  

Pent and Ten

Moonlight Shapeshifter

Atrum_Anima

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:17 pm
Saturdays Tierce
Atrum_Anima

From what I can tell, yes, though I'm more worried about taking a tragic event, the boys dying, and using it to my advantage

Well, that's a little more complicated. sweatdrop
Really, it comes down to your own ethics.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:18 pm
Tragedy inspires people. It isn't morally or ethically wrong at all. It isn't like you are trying to gain sympathy votes or anything.  

Ryoko Earth

Dapper Genius

Thirteenth_Floor

Friend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:19 pm
Saturdays Tierce
Atrum_Anima

well, if you think of it more as an informative part, like you're setting the stage for what you have to say, then the moral dilemma should ease. of course, it does present a shock factor and is powerful either way, but it can still be like presenting a reality that people prefer to ignore and putting it so it can't be ignored, kinda like making every aspect clear before you move on, i guess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:45 pm
Pent and Ten
No one can tell you what to do, because morals are subjective.

It all comes down to if you think it's worth the cost.

(sorry if this doesn't sound like actual advice)
I agree with this. Society has a game we have to play in order to be successful, and our morals are our only limits. We could give you opinions if you wanted, but if you need the money, do what you will.  

The Green Apple 101

1,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Full closet 200

Nightshade Beauty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:39 am
Okay sorry but I just gotta say this before I go on, morals and ethics may seem the same but they are two different things.....okay now for what I think, I think you should do it because we all face hardship in our lives and hardly anyone speaks up about them. But you have a chance to speak up and give a voice to the people that are silent and let them know they are not alone in there struggle and they have people they can turn to to help no matter what it is.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:33 pm
Morals up top  

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash