Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
I wanted to come out this year but... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Eleiza0250

Shy Genius

12,950 Points
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:53 pm
I would say it doesn't really matter unless you're in a relationship. A couple of my friends know, but only for the point that we talk about cute guys/girls, or like I said that it'd be awkward for me to see Equus, you know stuff like that. But otherwise I'm not in a relationship so no one else really needs to know. It's not like I'm not telling them; if anyone asks, I would. It's just that there's no real reason to come out.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:13 am
Honestly I would wait. Because it's never going to be easy or comfortable coming out, but you'll probably have it a little easier mentally when you realize you've got a college to go to, and you'll find people there who understand, even if it goes badly.

But I would spend the time until college doing a little snooping. I know someone else mentioned politics which is always a good starting point. You could bring up a book or movies you know about and see how the react to that as well. On occasion, realizing what they consider 'wrong' now effects them, and that you're a perfectly good person might snap some sense into them...but...eh.

Personally, I'd just quote some scripture back at them, but that's just me.

And semi off-topic, but I swear it fits...when you do come out...leave things lying around. Books like Thinking Straight by Robin Reardon and the God Box by Sanchez (or even quotes from them) might make them think a little...(I also recommend reading them just for fun...)  

MiraNoir

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:53 pm
I think I get a feel of what my mom thinks of homosexuality...
I was watching degrassi while she was on teh computer right beside the TV. (it was the ep. when Fionna comes out as lesbian). She was all, "*smacks teeth* Oh lord...is that what this show all about? Gays and Lesbians and what not? That's all i hear whenever this is on - __-..." I wanted to start a little debate with her but I was afraid...that she might start gettin ideas...  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:08 pm
@TorpidoKoi:::
I loved that episode, it descibed my situation - liking my best friend - but I know my mother would be the total opposite of that.

Anyways---
wait until college where you can start anew, but go into it being open. Its harder to "come-out" into a situation where friendships and social groups are already set and you have to take a risk losing them. You're more likely to attract people who will accept you from the start, even if you get some negativity from others.  

Kelai_Caberin

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:28 am
User Image

Based on what you've told me, I definitely recommend you to keep it secret for now. As some posters pointed out, high school can be a hostile environment to come out in depending on where you are. And on top of that your parents don't sound very tolerant. Don't underestimate the effect rejection can have on you. Some teens have gone to self-mutilation and/or even suicide after coming out/forcibly coming out and rejected by their families. (Famous example Bobby Griffith (see movie Prayers for Bobby)). And just because your family loves you and is proud of your achievements right now is no guarantee that they won't reject you after you came out. Some people were confident their parents would not throw them out but ended up getting practically ostracized from the neighborhood after coming out.

Let me explain just how careful you should be with coming out. When I was coming out to my friends and my brother, I thought too that it would not be a problem coming out to my parents. I even planned to do it when I turned 18 to go to college. Now, I'm talking about atheistic and agnostic parents here who don't believe in God or the need for a supreme being to teach them morals. I'm talking about parents who've gotten their degrees from a pretty good college (I'm not gonna say where) and have consistently shown me in my upbringing their intelligence, curiosity and open-mindedness about other things. BUT, but, some conversations with my mother made me change my mind and push the coming out to until I've found a stable job and can support myself. I considered it very seriously and made that choice because of comments she made.

Maybe I'm paranoid about losing my parents, but if even my parents can make me rethink about coming out to them, I'm not so sure what's gonna happen to you when you come out to yours. I would say, seriously reconsider about coming out.

Now I go to UC Berkeley, and I'm happy here because it's so liberal here (we can practically dress ourselves up as pink chihuahuas eating rainbow cupcakes on the street and it'll still be okay). People are so accepting and I feel at home, like I'm in a big family. My mom was like, "it's a more hippie school so it's probably more suitable for you than [my intended college]". I sometimes wonder if she knows I'm queer. I get a feeling she somehow knows secretly but hasn't pointed it out. Either way I'm not coming out any time soon to my parents. I've been coming out to everyone else who deserves my trust, though.

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:23 am
I am so confused on what happens at church!!

AstridMiriam

Party Browser

13,100 Points
  • Runway First Vote 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers