Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Beginning Witchcraft, what did you start with? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

theannacracker

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:25 pm
For a few months I've been reading, listening, and researching all I can about witchcraft and paganism in it's many different forms. I'm by no means anything more than a beginner, maybe even less than that, but I've been extremely pulled to a path as a witch. It's extremely surprising to me, to say the least.

Ive been receiving so much information in the short period of time I've been researching the craft, and I'm getting pretty bogged down and overwhelmed. I want to start practicing, but with rituals, spells, tarot cards, numerology, different gods and goddesses, herbs, incense, tools, etc, I have no idea what to start with.

How did you guys start when you were younger and dove into your craft? What do you suggest I start with? Is diving in better than baby steps? Halp?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:45 pm
Before anything else, I would suggest taking all the worry over tools, deities, and rituals, and put it on hold. Those are all supplemental and you can pick them back up and get into them when you're more comfortable with where you stand.

I started where most people start, but it's hard for me to give tips because I also had family history and things to help me out. Instead, I would suggest for you to start with different types of witchcraft. Learn about them, don't try to practice them, just get a feel for the history and what they involve.

That's my suggestion anyway. And you can always come back here with questions if you're confused.

I can say to stay away from some things. Like Silver Ravenwolf, the Frosts, and generally anything that falsely claims Wicca.

Also, don't confuse Wicca with witchcraft. They're not synonymous, so that there will help you weed out the bad stuff 3nodding  

oOGarrettOo

Greedy Conversationalist

theannacracker

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:20 pm
oOGarrettOo
Before anything else, I would suggest taking all the worry over tools, deities, and rituals, and put it on hold. Those are all supplemental and you can pick them back up and get into them when you're more comfortable with where you stand.

I started where most people start, but it's hard for me to give tips because I also had family history and things to help me out. Instead, I would suggest for you to start with different types of witchcraft. Learn about them, don't try to practice them, just get a feel for the history and what they involve.

That's my suggestion anyway. And you can always come back here with questions if you're confused.

I can say to stay away from some things. Like Silver Ravenwolf, the Frosts, and generally anything that falsely claims Wicca.

Also, don't confuse Wicca with witchcraft. They're not synonymous, so that there will help you weed out the bad stuff 3nodding

Hey, thanks for the help,I really appreciate it.

I'm definitely not interested in Wicca, though I have looked at it and it's influences on modern day paganism. It's not for me, personally, but I am interested in witchcraft. I might find a witchcraft centered religion or belief system that works for me in the future, but for now I'm somewhat of an eclectic pagan or just a witch. smile

Other than research and looking into things, what do you suggest? I guess I'm just looking for junior exercises, to see if this path really gels well with who I am inside. I've come across many different schools of thought when it comes to beginning practice of the craft, some say that you learn through experience, others say that you have to research for months before any spells or rituals.
I myself am nowhere near ready to cast spells or think of what tools I should use in my practice, but I am a bit unsteady when it comes to how I will get to the point where I am ready.

Thanks again for the help! It really helps smile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:24 pm
The problem is really that it's not really one path, or one craft. How you do it is up to you, so my witchcraft might not appeal to you AT ALL, and someone else's might be a good fit for you also. It's up to you to construct a craft of your own, or to find a pre-established one that works for you.

"Embracing the Moon" by Yasmine Galenorn has some energy exercises at the beginning that you might find useful. (The first half of the book is good, but the second half not really so much. So read critically, and remember, responsible Paganism! biggrin ) ABC of Witchcraft by Valiente is great, but it's all info (some of it quite outdated) and not much in the way of help regarding practises. I may have more recommendations for you later when I get through reading a few more books on my reading list.

There's also a bit of a disconnect between witchcraft and Paganism. There are some forms of Paganism that are also religious witchcrafts, but a lot of people practise their craft and their religion more or less separately. Most of the books on the market are about religious neo-pagan witchcraft, so you may need to separate the religion from the craft when you're reading it, depending on how you personally choose to practise. It also means that when it comes to recommending books, we need a little more info on what you're interested in, because the better the book, the more specific the path they're related to.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:24 pm
theannacracker

Other than research and looking into things, what do you suggest? I guess I'm just looking for junior exercises, to see if this path really gels well with who I am inside.

I don't know what to suggest- there are so many different kinds of witchcraft. sweatdrop Maybe if you told us a little about what brought you into witchcraft it would narrow down the kind of witchcraft and people might make suggestions?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:36 am
I was horribly disjointed when I started learning. I was pretty much a "jump in and hope not to drown" type.

If I were to suggest a practice (and not study) for someone starting out, I almost always lean towards meditation. Especially meditations that focus on holding one particular image in great detail. To my mind, this is a skill that will benefit pretty much anyone regardless of their path.  

kyndryana3

10,550 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Hygienic 200

theannacracker

5,400 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:05 pm
Esiris
theannacracker

Other than research and looking into things, what do you suggest? I guess I'm just looking for junior exercises, to see if this path really gels well with who I am inside.

I don't know what to suggest- there are so many different kinds of witchcraft. sweatdrop Maybe if you told us a little about what brought you into witchcraft it would narrow down the kind of witchcraft and people might make suggestions?

What I've been drawn to are pagan beliefs that are based on Wicca and traditional witchcraft. (that's STOL a bit vague, I'm so sorry)

I want to, in the future, get to a point where I can use magic and ritual to better my life (mentally, physically, and spiritually), connect with the higher power (no matter what deity/deities I find work(s) well with me), connect with nature through deity, and have something that I can work on developing for the rest of my life.
The type of witchcraft that I see myself doing is a lot like the rituals i hear about in Wiccan circles. However, I would like to reach out and research manny different crafts and see if they work with me.

I'm so sorry if I sound like a total newb, it's because I am a beginner and am looking for insight. Thank you very much for your help!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:45 am
Saying ceremonial ritual appeals is helpful. It means we can recommend Wicca or other initiatory withcrafts like Feri.

It helps just to say that you're interested in religious witchcraft as many crafts are not religious.

Edit: although you say you're not interested in Wicca. When you say "based on Wicca", what are you referring to? What is it about Wicca, and about these other religions, that appeals to you?

When you say "traditional witchcraft", what do you mean? Traditional witchcraft isn't - traditionally - associated with a particular religion.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:58 am
theannacracker
I want to, in the future, get to a point where I can use magic and ritual to better my life (mentally, physically, and spiritually),
Maybe studying the psychology of ritual would help? sweatdrop

Quote:
connect with the higher power (no matter what deity/deities I find work(s) well with me),
That's a bit tricky- because what happens if the gods you like are against the use of magic?

Quote:
connect with nature through deity,

That one can be tricky again- what if the gods you're called to don't connect to nature?

Quote:
The type of witchcraft that I see myself doing is a lot like the rituals i hear about in Wiccan circles. However, I would like to reach out and research manny different crafts and see if they work with me.

Wicca is an oathbound religion, so maybe if you give us information about where you heard about the stuff you believe is Wiccan, we can help you find something that fits?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:39 pm
When I first started, I had no idea where to turn to, not even online places like gaia where I could ask for advice. I started at a site called www.spellsandmagic.com which had a lot of high magic and complicated stuff, which I tried somewhat. As I continued to read on, it was like I was going from the hard stuff to the basics, and the thing I love about that is that you start off confused and as you get closer to the basics things start clicking and you are like "Oh, that's why that works" and such and it helps you understand better. Personally, I wouldn't reccomend doing what I did, lol it may take you a while. Start with simple things like meditation first, then start with maybe smaller spells and work your way up to things like circles and more complicated rituals, energy work, divination, psychism, etc. Good luck.  

Ritual at Dusk

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:40 pm
By the way, I have a blog all about witchcraft, so go ahead and check it out. It can clear up a lot of confusion I hope. [link removed]

Mod note: Please don't advertise outside the plugging thread. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:08 pm
Ritual at Dusk
I started at a site called www.spellsandmagic.com which had a lot of high magic and complicated stuff, which I tried somewhat.
I looked over that site- it's not very good. It doesn't explin that there are different traditions, or really go into depth on the subjects and how they work- It really looks like it's more to stroke the authors ego.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Ritual at Dusk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:13 pm
Esiris
Ritual at Dusk
I started at a site called www.spellsandmagic.com which had a lot of high magic and complicated stuff, which I tried somewhat.
I looked over that site- it's not very good. It doesn't explin that there are different traditions, or really go into depth on the subjects and how they work- It really looks like it's more to stroke the authors ego.

It is good for some things, but it lacks explanation on the exercises and such. However, when I was first beginning, I didn't know whether it was good or not  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:12 am
I'm in the same boat, and just getting into reading books about the subject. It's only been a few weeks for me rather than a few months sweatdrop So I can't be much help for you but just another fellow newbie whining about how hard it is to find reliable information about the topic lol It feels almost impossible to separate wicca from witchcraft. I know they're two different things but most sources I read talk about witchcraft in relation to the wicca religion. And people have kindly pointed out on the forums, sometimes the idea of wicca in the books is inaccurate.

But personally I'm starting small. I have a set goal in mind because of real life problems, and I'm going to work on learning the basics of energy manipulation (centering, grounding, and other things >.<) I'm also interested in learning about healing magic in general and pendulum/tarot/i-ching divination. That's just me though, how about you? How did you get drawn into it if you don't mind me asking?  

Erise Crewe

Morgandria

Aged Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:52 am
Erise Crewe
I'm in the same boat, and just getting into reading books about the subject. It's only been a few weeks for me rather than a few months sweatdrop So I can't be much help for you but just another fellow newbie whining about how hard it is to find reliable information about the topic lol It feels almost impossible to separate wicca from witchcraft. I know they're two different things but most sources I read talk about witchcraft in relation to the wicca religion. And people have kindly pointed out on the forums, sometimes the idea of wicca in the books is inaccurate.

The seemingly unbreakable fusion Neo-Pagan authors have created between Wicca and witchcraft is a willful and deliberate act by many of them, egged on by publisher Carl L. Weschcke since the 60's. The two have been conflated and the lines that define them have been deliberately blurred, so as to create demand for, and sell books, to people on a false understanding of what they're buying.

So it's ok to be confused. That's what they want you to be. And it takes a while to get a good sense of what's Neo-Pagan religion, and what's witchcraft, in those books, because they have thoroughly smushed one into the other, and mislead people to believe that witchcraft itself is automatically an eclectic Neo-Pagan religion.

It all takes time. Time, you've got. It's hard when everything's new and exciting and you're pulled a hundred ways and want it all NOW...but you really do have the rest of your life to untangle these skeins and figure out which ones you're weaving with.

Erise Crewe

But personally I'm starting small. I have a set goal in mind because of real life problems, and I'm going to work on learning the basics of energy manipulation (centering, grounding, and other things >.<) I'm also interested in learning about healing magic in general and pendulum/tarot/i-ching divination. That's just me though, how about you? How did you get drawn into it if you don't mind me asking?

As for where I started, it's here:
http://www.witchscauldron.net/30daysofpaganism/pagandayone.htm

It's long, but does explain how I began.  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff