Welcome to Gaia! ::

Learn To Speak Japanese!

Back to Guilds

A Guild for learning how to speak Japanese on a daily basis! 

Tags: Learn, Japanese, Nihongo, Speak, Japan 

Reply Guild Home
Some one know Kanji?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Charismatic Prince

Gracious Tycoon

9,600 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm
I already know the Hiragana and Katakana, but I still dont understand Kanji. Can somebody teach me?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:50 pm
I've studied Japanese for 2 years, and I know probably only 70 or so kanji.
That's highschool of course.
www.renshuu.org helps a lot, but kanji is- I'll be real with you- the gayest.
Good luck braski.  

Amyroth

Dapper Dabbler

Shiko The Death Child

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:06 pm
I guess this is why they say I'm lucky to be a Chinese...

Well, maybe learning chinese as a backup? If you know the meaning then it should be easier, like, 秘密警察 means secret police in chinese, and since you now know meaning of it, secret = himitsu, police = keisatsu.

Something like that.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:25 am
Learn some of the radicals, and it might help you understand some of them better.  

Battlestar Anorexia

Miyu_Aizawa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:22 pm
kanji is difficult. but there are lots of sites and books available for learning.
Knowing 70 characters isn't highschool level.
I know more than 200, it's not that much.
By the time a Japanese person reaches highschool they know about 2000 characters which is about as much as you need in order to read basically anything.
BUT there are more than 10thousand characters in Japanese.
The average japanese adult probably can write at least 5 thousand characters and read much more than that.
If you know less than 1000 you are elementary level.
Common characters to start with are the numbers 1-10, 100, 1000, 10000, yen, days of the week. etc.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:13 pm
Kanji is Chinese right? But it would be more difficult for me since I'm also Chinese and learn Chinese. Because it would get you mixed up. Like 心 Chinese is xin1 while japanese is kokoro.  

Vemily

Greedy Lunatic

Illegitimate Princess

Intellectual Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:59 pm
I use the kanjidamage order (google it) and Heisig's RTK method (make mneumonics) to create flashcards (anki or any SRS will work or just homemade paper ones)
I know maybe 40-ish kanji and have been at it for only a few days.
Hopefully I don't become a 三日坊主 (miika bouzu) or a three day monk ^.^
I think doing about 10-20 kanji a week is reasonable.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:27 pm
Vemily
Kanji is Chinese right? But it would be more difficult for me since I'm also Chinese and learn Chinese. Because it would get you mixed up. Like 心 Chinese is xin1 while japanese is kokoro.

Kokoro is the Kun reading of 心 in japanese but the On reading ("chinese" reading) is shin. so the same pronunciation. A lot of kanji, the on-reading is at least similar to the sound in chinese. the Kun reading however is purely japanese.  

Miyu_Aizawa

Miyu_Aizawa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:08 pm
Ryuu The Dragon Spirit
I already know the Hiragana and Katakana, but I still dont understand Kanji. Can somebody teach me?

I don't know how far you have come with learning kanji thus far, but it doesn't seem like anyone who's posted has been helpful at all. except for the Renshuu link. That looks entirely helpful.
How is that going for you? I haven't really checked the site out yet myself.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:00 am
Miyu_Aizawa
Ryuu The Dragon Spirit

I don't know how far you have come with learning kanji thus far, but it doesn't seem like anyone who's posted has been helpful at all. except for the Renshuu link. That looks entirely helpful.
Seriously? Nobody uses Kanji Damage?  

Illegitimate Princess

Intellectual Lunatic

Miyu_Aizawa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:00 am
kay2kay
Miyu_Aizawa
Ryuu The Dragon Spirit

Seriously? Nobody uses Kanji Damage?

I had looked into that once and wasn't so interested but looking at it again now I think I will give it a shot.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:47 pm
I love heart this website jisho . As long as you can understand the basic hiragana then this website is easy to navigate cool . I use it daily in level four. I came here pick up missing things in the language that I am missing. Not best student emo but I love the language. rofl  

moonlight hime

Miyu_Aizawa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:29 pm
moonlight hime
I love heart this website jisho . As long as you can understand the basic hiragana then this website is easy to navigate cool . I use it daily in level four. I came here pick up missing things in the language that I am missing. Not best student emo but I love the language. rofl

I second that. I love Jisho also. ^_^  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:52 pm
Charismatic Prince

I have a Kanji dictionary. I recommend getting on as well as using the internet to learn. I also recommend simply learning them as you use them. It is far too difficult to try and remember thousands of Kanji characters, especially if you might never use most of them. Try paying attention to what you usually say to friends and such and then practice the kanji you would need to say those things in Japanese smile  

JunkFoodForZombies

Guild Home

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff