Welcome to Gaia! ::

AND IN THE NAME OF AWESOME I WILL PUNISH YOU!!!

Back to Guilds

A guild for Sailor Moon fans that have experienced all of the mega-series! 

Tags: Sailor Moon, Bishoujo Senshi, Sera Myu, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Naoko Takeuchi 

Reply Sailor Moon Anime & Manga
[Rant] DO THE RESEARCH!!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

This bothers me
  I can tell
View Results

Lady Cressida

37,975 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Team Josie 25
  • Super Jumper 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:55 am
Ahh! But they haven't switched roles. There is a good article about debunking the two myths since many people thought the same thing >>Click<< I highly suggest reading it.

Not all the senshi's powers are based on the gods of their planets.

Venus (except her crescent beam), Jupiter (her lightning attacks), Neptune, and Uranus all have powers that associated with their deities. Mercury's lyre for her Rhapsody attack is the only thing associated with Hermes/Mercury as he invented the lyre who exchanged with Apollo for cattle.

Mercury, and Mars fires are based on Asian myths ie Mercury --> Water Star, Mars --> Fire Star, Pluto ----> Dead Star (hence her Dead Scream attack, also the debunking of Sat and Plu has more on that with greco myth)

Now I want to revive that Myth info I stared in the GSSG guild...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:40 am
Yes I've read that before, it doesn't explain why the mythology was ignored. The powers come from the Japanese names for the planets. (In Japanese the direction translation for Mars is "Planet of Fire.") I've heard it before that Naoko Takeuchi may have purposely switched the roles of Saturn and Pluto but from the look of the rest of the series...it's just wrong. You can disagree if you want, but even in Japanese translation Pluto translates to "Dead Star" and Saturn translates to "Earth Star" ....oops, another thing she got wrong. @_@

Also Uranus' trademark power "World Shaking" has just about nothing to do with any of her mythologies. (JP = Sky Star, Cealus = Sky God) And Jupiter's powers actually DO follow mythology because Jupiter = Zeus. Zeus = lightning powers.

You can make excuses or try to reason your way out of why things are certain ways but it's just lazy research. I have, however, done the research and certain things just don't make sense. The only viable excuse I will take is that she wanted to have -some- originality in there, but since I've read most of her other works...I highly doubt that.

Besides, that article is fan made. It's not official so don't follow it too closely. Don't get me wrong, I love fan articles, but they're not always 100% right. That article proves nothing.  

Kawaisa Sailor Moon
Captain

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Lady Cressida

37,975 Points
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Team Josie 25
  • Super Jumper 500
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:24 pm
I just love a good debate. Yes I find it odd why Saturn and Pluto roles are totally different from the others.

Like I said, Mercury and Mars powers have nothing to do with their deity of their planets. However Jupiter is both lightning and wood (Coconut Cyclone (manga) and Oak Evolution) Except that Mercury uses a lyre in her moves that was associated with Hermes/Mercury as I stated before. They were based off of Eastern Astrology. >>Clickie<< AND here >>Clickie<<

**note** Saturn's prototype fuku was ocher until it was changed to purple. Mars and Jupiter are the only ones that stayed true to the Chinese Astrology color of their ruling planets.

From my research, it seems that maybe Saturn is more based on Western Astrology then Greco except her Glaive is a sickle that is associated with Satrun/Cronos. Now its mind boggling about Pluto. We can't really call her a planet now ><

Now, lets look at the Astrology behind Saturn. I did my own personal research on the Astrology meaning behind Saturn.

Astronomical Data

Slowest planet, moving through zodiac in 29 years and 157 days. Mean speed is 2 minutes and 1 second per day. Greatest North latitude: 2 degrees 48 minutes. Greatest South latitude: 2 degrees 49 minutes. Rules Capricorn and Aquarius. Exalted in Libra. Fall in Aries. Detriment in Cancer and Leo.

Capricorn is Hotaru's sign

General

Saturn is the “Greater Malefic,” bringing “destruction, ruin, death, grief, mourning, weeping, crying, and ancient things.” [The Beginning of Wisdom, Ibn Ezra, trans. Epstein]. Very cold and very dry. Masculine, diurnal, earthy planet. Hard, heavy and short.

Hmm bringing “destruction, ruin" sounds like Saturn all right

Human Faculties

Thought. . Sleep. Hearing.

Skip this

Body Parts/Humor

Black bile, earth, sometimes crude phlegm. Hair, nails, skin, feathers, wool, bones, marrow and horn. The spleen. Right ear. Buttocks, podex (a**s), bowels, p***s, back, height, knees. Bladder.

Again skip this

Illnesses

Senility/debility, insanity, tremors, plague, hemorrhages, leprosy, leg disease, chronic illnesses. All cold and dry illnesses. Illnesses of the right ear, teeth, four-day fevers, consumption, palsy, vain fears and fantasies, apoplexy.

In the anime, it was stated she has strange seizures, but this also due to her being the host for Mistress 9 Sailor Stars she seems to be fine

Old age, the end of life.

Un yeah skip this. Hotaru as 5-6 in the beginning of Stars, but due to some metaphysical epiphany she returned to being a 12 year old.

Appearance

Ugly, tall, wizened, sour face, large head, eyebrows joined (the unibrow!), small eyes, wide mouth, thick nose, lips, and teeth, downcast look, much black hair (all over), short neck, coarse hand, short fingers, awkward figure, legs crooked, big feet. Foul smell. Swarthy, rough skin, between black and yellow in color. Moves slowly. Often coughing. Fat stomach, gluttonous, big shoulders.

Oriental – straight posture, medium skin tone, hairy chest, medium sized eyes. Shorter than when occidental.

Occidental - thin, straight hair, cold and dry. Black lean, less hairy.
Near extremes of latitude - fat, fleshy
Little latitude - leaner
South latitude - fleshy but quick in movement
North latitude - hairy and fleshy

She is described as a delicate, quiet, precocious and expressionless person. None of those fit.

Human Conditions

Exile and poverty, wealth acquired by trickery, failure in business, vehemence, confusion, seeking solitude and isolation, enslaving others by violence or treachery, fraud, weeping, wailing and lamentation. Sickness, affliction, poverty, death, disease of internal organs, gout. Controlling others and winning.

Um yeah. Nothing here points in hr direction except maybe sickness when she was being a host...

Info from here >>Click<<

And some interesting facts here >>Clickie<<

I will post more info soon I can find more.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:29 pm
I already explained all this forever ago here and here in this very guild. I explained further here in the Titan Senshi guild.

Also:

Quote:
Saturn (Latin: Saturnus) was a major Roman god of agriculture and harvest, whose reign was depicted as a Golden Age of abundance and peace by many Roman authors. In medieval times he was known as the Roman god of agriculture, justice and strength. He held a sickle in his left hand and a bundle of wheat in his right. His mother was Terra and his father was Caelus. He was identified in classical antiquity with the Greek deity Cronus, and the mythologies of the two gods are commonly mixed.

Quote:
In Greek mythology, Cronus or Kronos[1] (Ancient Greek: Κρόνος, Krónos) was the leader and the youngest of the first generation of Titans, divine descendants of Gaia, the earth, and Uranus, the sky. He overthrew his father and ruled during the mythological Golden Age, until he was overthrown by his own sons, Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon, and imprisoned in Tartarus.

Cronus was usually depicted with a sickle or scythe, which was also the weapon he used to castrate and depose Uranus, his father. In Athens, on the twelfth day of the Attic month of Hekatombaion, a festival called Kronia was held in honor of Cronus to celebrate the harvest, suggesting that, as a result of his association with the virtuous Golden Age, Cronus continued to preside as a patron of harvest. Cronus was also identified in classical antiquity with the Roman deity Saturn.

Kawaisa Sailor Moon
Captain

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Kawaisa Sailor Moon
Captain

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:06 pm
Quote:
Where there is light Saturn brings darkness, where there is heat Saturn brings cold, where there is joy Saturn brings sadness, where there is life Saturn brings death, where there is luck Saturn brings misfortune (and sometimes heavy consequences for bad judgment or mistakes), where there is unity Saturn brings isolation, where there is knowledge Saturn brings fear, where there is hope Saturn brings skepticism and stalling.

I think I've found what everyone is talking about. However, this doesn't justify very much. Through ALL the research I've done, this is the only European Astrology I've found originating from the Medieval and Renaissance time period. It's only a mere mention, and it still blatantly ignores ALL other forms of Mythology/Astrology/Legend/etc associated with the planet. Also, the rest of this parable doesn't follow Saturn's character all that much. You could argue the consequence for mistakes (defeating Pharaoh 90) but isolation? She's the reason why the Sailor Senshi were finally reunited as a team. To me this is like playing poker with a single card from a 52 card deck. It just doesn't complete the character design that should have gone into the Senshi.  
Sailor Moon Anime & Manga

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff