Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place where people learning languages or studying linguistics can come to discuss and hang out! 

Tags: language, linguistics, polyglot, linguist, foreign languages 

Reply The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild
New Members' Thread Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I am here for...
languages
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
linguistics
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
both
77%
 77%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 70

Mikagi-sama
Crew

1,700 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:15 pm
Welcome to the Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild! This guild is intended for anyone with a passion for learning languages or the study of languages. Here you can improve what you already know by practicing conversations, discussing and debating various topics, and helping others learn.

First, you should introduce yourself. We'd love to get to know who you are and what you are learning. By starting here, you can get to know other members with whom you may have commonalities in your journey with languages.

General Form:

*Gaia Name:
*Languages spoken:
*Languages Learning:

- * marks mandatory information
- For location, you don't need to indicate city, but knowing your country would be great
- You can add any other information you see as being necessary!
- If you are willing to teach a language that we do not yet have any threads for, please know that you are welcome to offer some lessons.

My Gaia name is Mikagi-sama, but my really name is Sheldon. I am 19 years old (born in 1991), and I live in Ottawa, Canada.

I have an obsession with languages and speak English and French. I am learning Italian and Japanese (I'm further in my studies with these languages), and am trying to learn German, Portuguese, and Korean. I want to learn many other languages, but I want to have a quality competency in these languages first.

I am a university student who is studying linguistics (hence my inclusion of the discipline in this guild). Linguistics is an incredibly fascinating field in which I find everything amazing. After I took my first course in the program I knew this was what I wanted to study and work with for the rest of my life! Not to mention, the information learned in the field helps me (and others) when learning foreign languages. I'm more aware of everything that goes on in them, and I am better able to teach myself them.

I hope you enjoy this guild and share my passion in languages and linguistics!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:12 pm
My Gaian name is Shizuka Mizu: Japanese for "calm/quiet water". (Well, almost. I know about -na adjectives and all that good jazz. It's a name, give me a break. =P) My real name is Nèron. I'm an American-born Frenchman, and I have been studying to become an interpreter/teacher, so the list is kind of extensive.

I can read, write and speak:
Japanese (quite a popular one, too)
French
Swedish
Norwegian
Greek (Hellenistic) <-- This unfortunately excludes modern Greek for now.
Latin
Old (West) Norse

I know some of:
Egyptian hieroglyphics (I can only read them and vaguely write them; I cannot pronounce them)
Modern Greek
German
Dutch
Danish (I can read and write it, but I can't speak it for beans without sounding Swedish. =P)
Chinese (Mandarin)
Russian
Portugese
Italian
Spanish (Castilian)

I aim to learn:
ALL of them!
But in the near future. =P
Arabic
Sanskrit
Indonesian
Tagalog
Malay
Myanmar/Burmese

And many more! >3

Tc Frorleivus Almus Ph
Captain

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Miss_Amora_Rose

Feline Wife

7,125 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:37 am
*Gaia Name: Amorette la rose. Amorette meaning "Little love" in French and the "la rose" meaning rose in French.
*Languages spoken: English
*Languages Learning: Well I want to learn Japanese because I want to go to Japan one day! And French because it's so romantic, and sexy and good place for a honeymoon! ^-^  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:47 am
*Gaia Name: Nikooru-Aoi {meaning Nicole Blue)
*Languages spoken:
*Languages Learning:
~Japanese
~Swedish
~Korean  

Aoi_shinzo

5,600 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100

schooldrawer

8,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:18 am
Zdravo! My Gaia name is schooldrawer, but my real name is Rea. I am 15 years old and come from Croatia (Europe, near Italy). Now, I'm surviving secondary school (gymnasium rolleyes ) and trying to find the time to learn languages.

I can speak Croatian, English, German and Italian (which I still need to practice sweatdrop )

I would like to learn Japanese, Russian, Greek, Spanish, French.... actually, I would like to learn every language (even if only the basics) sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:01 am
Gaia Name: Rudolf von Bennigsen
Languages spoken: Romanian, English, Italian ( not very good )
Languages like to learn: German  

Rudolf von Bennigsen

gravitybutton

Lonely Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:06 pm
Hi, people. A bit late coming here, I must say ninja But no matter! I shall introduce myself anyway!

*My Gaia name is His Majesty Christopher, just because.
My real name is Christopher.
*I'm 14 years old and I live in the United States, New York to be exact.
*I speak English and Spanish.
*I'm learning Russian, Ukrainian, Italian and Esperanto, but I hope to learn a whole host of other languages eventually, including but not limited to:
Lithuanian
Korean (I can read it, but can only understand a little)
French
Mandarin Chinese
Danish
Arabic (I can read it but have no clue what anything means razz )
German

I am very much an aspiring linguist (and completely and utterly obsessed with languages), and I hope to become an exchange student to Russia sometime in the near future. Russian is my favorite language ^^ But I've heard Ukrainian from my relatives since I was little.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:59 pm
Gaia Name: SlavicWolf
Languages spoken: English; Spanish
Languages Learning: Japanese; Italian; Arabic; Paiute

I have interest in a future career in International Affairs, Engineering, and Linguistics. Eh... Not much more to say really...  

SlavicWolf

4,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Conventioneer 300

Precious Mucca

7,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:55 pm
Greetings, everyone. ^_^

Gaia Name:

Precious Mucca
And yes I know Mucca means cow. Its why I named my Gaia avatar this. I like cows for some really odd reason that I don't know and my Gaia is usually dressed as a cow.

Eh won't give you my name but will give out my nickname! Its Sherwats. ^_^ Lol. Cute story how I got it. Ask if you want to know.

20. Born in 1990.

USA

Languages spoken:

English and Spanish. I used to speak French fluently but not anymore. Now I mess up a lot on its pronunciations and definitely spellings.

Languages Learning:

Relearning French since I'm going to France over the summer. I'm learning Italian because that's what my little sister is interested in and I'm also going to Italy over the summer. I would like to learn German since I was born in Germany but I haven't started yet. And I would also like to learn Japanese since I want to work there. Haven't started yet with that either.

I love making friends so feel free to talk to me anytime!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:55 pm
Gaia Name:
Tokyedo
You can call me Jordan.
Languages spoken:
English fluently, and a bit of German. It's been a while.
Languages Learning:
Most of my language-learning is taking a hiatus as I've begun my spring semester in college. But, I would really like to learn:
-Japanese (Like most people in the guild. whee I can read a bit of it, but I'm no where near fluent).
-Chinese
-Possibly Korean
-Latin
-Italian
-Possibly Arabic

I'm completing an associate's in history, and then attending a different university for either illustration, linguistics, or art history. Perhaps all three if I'm feeling crazy. I'm fascinated by various Asian cultures, and I hope to visit at least Japan and China once throughout the course of my life.  

Tokyedo

7,150 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Clambake 200

SpadeAttack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm
So, hey thare.

*Gaia Name: SpadeAttack
*Languages spoken: English, Spanish (I have rudimentary knowledge.)
*Languages Learning: Spanish (I am in the process or relearning it.)  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:48 pm
hi all smile
My Gaia name is Coccinelle Demoiselle
It comes from a french nursery rhyme that i like
I live in Australia and i would love to travel the world
I speak fluently french and spanish ( and english of course) and i can understand to some extent any current latin or germanic language since they all share roots...i hate spelling mistakes and often get told off by teachers for being a smartass pointing those mistakes out....
I loooooooove japanese language and I would like to spend some time in Japan when i finish school  

Coccinelle Demoiselle

5,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Im A Little Pea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:13 am
This place looks great. o:
I will not reveal my real name because I don't really feel like doing that for some reason...
I am a 23 years old student living in Jerusalem. Hebrew is my first language, but I've been studying English for 13 years and Arabic for 11 years. Unfortunately though, in school I only learned Classical / Modern Standard Arabic which are painfully not useless in conversation. I've been trying to study the vast and complicated world of Arabic dialects, and I must say it is... complicated. And vast. I know a bit of the local dialects (Palestinian / Syrian / Lebanese / Egyptian) and I can hold a decent conversation, but I still have much to learn.

I'm getting a B.A in linguistics (focusing on structural linguistics and Indo-European languages) and minoring in Arabic language and literature.
I've been studying Latin for two years now, and just started German recently.

I would like to one day learn Russian, too, but have to keep that on hold for now.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:13 pm
Gaia Name: VanillaMatcha
Languages spoken:
In order of fluency:
~Canadian English
~Cantonese (native tongue)
~Quebec French
~Mandarin
~Japanese
~Spanish
~Italian

I also have some experience with Mycenaean Greek (Linear B), Tagalog and Sanskrit, but I've forgotten most of them.
Languages Learning: I'm not really learning any languages at the moment, but I would love to learn Hebrew, Greek, Arabic, Maori or any other Pacific island languages.

Extra: I'm actually finishing my B.A. in Linguistics this semester, struggling to write my Honours thesis gonk I'm thinking of doing some fieldwork after I graduate, but I'm really scared of not being able to adapt to the working conditions. I would love to meet someone who's done it and can tell me more about it.  

VanillaMatcha

The Polyglot's and Linguist's Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces