Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sacred Grove

Back to Guilds

A guild for Pagans of all stripes. Spirituality and religion-focused, celebrating nature and the gods. 

Tags: Paganism, Pagan, witchcraft, Goddess, Wicca 

Reply Extended Discussion & Debate
Rune Discussion & Learning the Runes Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Submit

CalledTheRaven
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:46 am
Now there's a thing, I really need to get hold of some decent Rune Poem translations. I keep running across bits in this rune book or that but I don't have any copies of my own. That would be useful.

And now you mention it, I have seen that bit before and am equally confused. It's sort of going along all right. Riding, horses, makes sense so far. WTF blacksmith?!? Made any headway with that?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:26 am
Now apparently this sword, "the best sword", is the one given by OĆ°inn to the Volsungs and then taken off them again and broken. Regin reforged it. But that doesn't really help matters. Was it the best sword then reforged, or is it now the "best" sword, better than it was?And wtf does that have to do with anything?

OR. Oooo. Did Regin make horseshoes? Maybe the best sword is a well-shod horse. (She says, clutching at straws.)  

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

CalledTheRaven
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:10 am
I don't know, maybe some connection with traveling and journeys? Ugh. Let me think. What do I know about Regin? Must go re-read some things.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:29 am
My 2 cents for what it's worth... is that steel=strength and you need a strong foundation (strong horse) when you start on a long/hard journey. Basically if you don't have bit of steel in your veins, you won't make it to the end.

Mind you that's just sort of the first thing that popped into my head, making no real claims to having any clue what so ever. smilies/icon_xd.gif  

ncsweet

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:11 pm
What do you guys think about a possible link between Raidho and communication? In the sense of transmission or transportation of ideas.

Paxson lists a lot of varying possibilities that have much less to do with horses and travelling in and of themselves and more to do with related elements such as wheels, rhythmic action etc.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:31 pm
I can see that. For me, Raidho is about movement. It's about change and motion, and not neccessarily in a physical sense. I'm trying to think of a better way to word this because it's more complex then I'm making it sound.  

CalledTheRaven
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:52 pm
Haha, it's alright, I know what you mean smilies/icon_wink.gif I did just spend the last 45 minutes focussing on it.

Which in itself is really bizarre, because it honestly doesn't feel like that much time has gone by.

I decided that the physical sense is important too, because the sources I'm reading are tending to neglect that and it's still important to physically travel, in the sense of being a part of the world and interacting with the world as well as travelling long distances to grow as an individual. Also that the journey itself is important as well as the destination.

I'm trying to work in the horse itself more, as the rune-poems tend to stress it as being tough on the horse. So the journey, in itself, as well as where you're journeying to, and the manner in which you travel, and all that good stuff.

Gundarson mentions the horse as fylgia, taking you on a trollreid, spiritual travel.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:16 am
Oh I agree that the physical aspect is still important. I've seen it successfully used in a bind rune to reduce driving stress/ease travel a bit. It's just not the only aspect. And absolutely the journey. Travel isn't always the safest easiest thing and you have to pay attention or risk accident.  

CalledTheRaven
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:01 pm
Kenaz is gross. What's with one cheerful happy poem about fire and niceness, and then two about rotting ulcers? WTF.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:43 am
Sanguina Cruenta Wrote:
Kenaz is gross. What's with one cheerful happy poem about fire and niceness, and then two about rotting ulcers? WTF.

Have you ever had an ulcer? I had stomach ulcers as a teenager - they literally burn like fire in your belly when they're flaring up. Combined with my reflux disorder I always felt like a dragon, belching flame and acid. Ugh. I have no problem connecting ulcers to fire.

I think some people very much want to pass over the 'icky' stuff these days. Fire's much more likely to grab Random Joe Neo-Pagan's attention, and it sells books.

I have always had a hard time with Kenaz. Fire isn't some poetic symbol of "creation" or "love" or "courage". It's an elemental force we need to have for life, and yet it is deadly to life. It has no morals or thought - it merely consumes, like the ulcer. It isn't intrisically good or evil - it simply is. It takes as easily as it gives. So when people talk about using Kenaz for creative purposes, or to make something new from old, I get confused. It's like asking to be burnt out, like a torch eventually is.

Because of this I handle Kenaz warily - it devours whatever it's fed, and if you're careless you may end up giving it yourself.  

Morgandria
Crew

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:48 am
Morgandria Wrote:
Sanguina Cruenta Wrote:

Have you ever had an ulcer? I had stomach ulcers as a teenager - they literally burn like fire in your belly when they're flaring up. Combined with my reflux disorder I always felt like a dragon, belching flame and acid. Ugh. I have no problem connecting ulcers to fire.

I think some people very much want to pass over the 'icky' stuff these days. Fire's much more likely to grab Random Joe Neo-Pagan's attention, and it sells books.

I have always had a hard time with Kenaz. Fire isn't some poetic symbol of "creation" or "love" or "courage". It's an elemental force we need to have for life, and yet it is deadly to life. It has no morals or thought - it merely consumes, like the ulcer. It isn't intrisically good or evil - it simply is. It takes as easily as it gives. So when people talk about using Kenaz for creative purposes, or to make something new from old, I get confused. It's like asking to be burnt out, like a torch eventually is.

Because of this I handle Kenaz warily - it devours whatever it's fed, and if you're careless you may end up giving it yourself.

It's not so much the ulcers themselves, as the rotting charnel house and the corpses of children.

I definitely get "devouring" as it hits both fire and the concept of something rotting. WAY too many people seem to associate it simply with the OE runepoem and ignore the other ones. It's very very annoying!

I admit I didn't think about a stomach ulcer. I was thinking about an open sore going mankier and mankier. Like Henry VIII's legs. Ew, I can all but smell it.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:14 am
The open sores are to the stomach ulcer though. It eats away spreading and consuming.

I can see how Kenaz can sometimes be used for illumination and possibly for purification; burning away something that needs to be disposed; of but not really for creation. I can also see the link to passion since an uncontrolled passion, like an untended fire or an untreated ulcer, can easily consume you. It is a rune to be handled with respect and caution but can be of great benefit if harnessed properly.  

CalledTheRaven
Crew

Dapper Lunatic

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:50 pm
For Afro: here are a couple of my journal posts on Uruz. Looking back now I remember how tricky that one was and how confusing the rune-poems.

Are they getting easier to work out, or am I getting used to working through them? The rune-poems, I mean.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:53 pm
Oh thank you so much, that will help immensely. Now I just need to acquire Paxson's books. To Amazon!

Edit: Oh my goodness, so expensive. I shouldn't have put it off. I should have bought these books instead of clothes with my Christmas money. I AM SUCH A BAD HEATHEN.  

Scorpy-Sue

Distinct Conversationalist

6,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:06 pm
Afro-Dawg Wrote:
Oh thank you so much, that will help immensely. Now I just need to acquire Paxson's books. To Amazon!

I recommend buying a couple of different books to give you a good overview. My personal recommendation is Stephen Pollington.  
Extended Discussion & Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games