Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)
Tarot cards, how do they work? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

unseen shadow moon

Beloved Hunter

8,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:23 pm
i was wondering how tarot cards work? i'd love to learn how to do it but im not sure how it works, can anyone explain ^_^.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:04 pm
I'm wondering this too. I have never had a chance because my parents have already told me that they absolutely do not want any in our house. (My friend brought some over once and forgot my parents don't know that I am considering my path)  

Danny Cheltyka

Invisible Ladykiller

7,650 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:13 pm
What is it you mean exactly by "how do they work"?

I mean, if you're asking how they "know" things, that depends who you ask. Some say it's your subconscious mind expressing itself through your reading of the cards, others think the cards have a sort of animistic consciousness of their own. Others might say they are a tool for tapping into a universal wotsit and reading that through the cards.

Who knows?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:49 pm
In addition to the ones those already mentioned, some people call on specific spirits or gods to guide the reading.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

unseen shadow moon

Beloved Hunter

8,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:21 am
cool ^_^ but i was wondering how to do it as in how to actually use them ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:34 am
I read tarot because I don't know if I'll ever be able to read Ifa.

I purify myself, then ask for guidance and truth in a little ritual and then I shuffle and lay out the cards.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

VidenLight

2,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:24 pm
i was jus attracted to the different spreads and the way the energy is used to purify the cards and seek the truth  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:38 pm
So say your friend wanted to learn how to use them? What would you suggest for, perhaps not in specifics for how you use them, but at least something basic that could get them started?  

Danny Cheltyka

Invisible Ladykiller

7,650 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

unseen shadow moon

Beloved Hunter

8,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:10 am
since i posted this i researched it further and found one that sounds right but could anyone tell me if this is right.

1.get a deck that suits you/calls to you<>
2.cover your deck with a cloth to protect it.
3.get to know your deck.<4. ready to start.
5. shuffle the deck<>
6.place mixed cards on the table.
7.if your the one with a question,ask it while cutting the deck.if its someone else,let them ask the question and cut the deck.
8.put 4 top cards on the table in a diamond shape.flip the cards over from the side<>
9.if card is facing the right way up its more positive reading but if the card is reversed<> it is more of a negative reading.
10.during or before your reading you can ask a certain god/goddess for guidence if you wish.

this is a very basic version of the steps i've noticed but im just wondering does this sound right? ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:29 am
For someone that's right.

For me, I was given my deck as a birthday gift, so it's not like it called to me, but my sister knew I was into Celtic things and the Celtic Tarot deck does call to me. I guess I didn't get to know my deck before I started. What I did was read through the descriptions of the cards as I worked with them. I even spent a summer doing a tarot horoscope for my day *sort of* by doing this card a day to see how my day would be.

I don't know about protecting the deck with a cloth, but I keep mine wrapped in a scarf that was also a gift and in a box to keep my deck safe. Though I want a new box... Yu-Gi-OH! just doesn't feel right rofl

And I don't call upon deities to help with my readings. I go about what either the book says and take what feels right from that, or look for what the card is telling me.

I'll go for any spread that feels right for the question or just lay them out spontaneously that feels right and go from there. And depending on what I'm doing with the cards, I use the upright (Dignified) and reversed (Ill-dignified) method and a significator card that I use to channel the personal energies of the person asking the question.

Depending on who you ask, you'll get a variety of what to do with the cards.  

Viz_22

Beloved Prophet

unseen shadow moon

Beloved Hunter

8,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:00 pm
ty^_^ your post helped alot ^_^.

lolz YU-GI-OH! lol i miss that, reminds me of random matchs during class XD.

i heard that you can put it in a box aswell ^_^ but wasnt sure if that was right or not ^_^, i guess i'll try to figure out a system that works for me ^_^  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:04 am
unseen shadow moon

2.cover your deck with a cloth to protect it.

I know people who keep theirs in a box. I also know a woman who rests her deck on a large piece of amethyst.

Quote:
3.get to know your deck.<
I'm not sure sleeping with it is really getting to know it. If you were using some kind of sleep magic or something maybe. But if it's just about being in it's presence- why not take it everywhere you go?
What else could you do to "get to know them"? I think this rests on the animistic ideas that Sang mentioned earlier.
Would it even be necessary if you don't have that belief?

There are lots of spreads- the diamond is just one of them.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Viz_22

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:11 am
unseen shadow moon
ty^_^ your post helped alot ^_^.

lolz YU-GI-OH! lol i miss that, reminds me of random matchs during class XD.

i heard that you can put it in a box aswell ^_^ but wasnt sure if that was right or not ^_^, i guess i'll try to figure out a system that works for me ^_^

Yeah, I wanted to keep it in something that would keep my cards safe. And all I had was a Yu-Gi-OH! box with the Dark Magician Girl on it~ While I like the box, I'd rather find something else, just because I find it funny that I'm using that box.

So find what works for you *nods* And as for spreads, lay them how you want or find a book that has spreads in it - I have one with 122 spreads, and I'll give the book title once I find it :3  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:15 am
lolz i havent got a deck yet<> but i have a box in mind that i got recently, just a sun and moon type box ^_^.

lol thank you ^_^  

unseen shadow moon

Beloved Hunter

8,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Citizen 200

Viz_22

Beloved Prophet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:04 pm
My deck was a gift from my sister, and my Mum didn't exactly approve, but figured I'd be interested (it's my first deck and I've had a vague interest before owning it). I love it, just wish the associations fit more. The cards themselves call to me, but the associations, not so much. However, I'm looking into a dragon deck that I feel will be a better match as my personal deck.

And I'm jealous of your box! It sounds awesome~!  
*~Sanctuary~* (answers and advice)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff