Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ergates

Conservative Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:10 am
Not sure where to post this, move if necessary biggrin

About computers. I got my first one when I was 40, that's 14 years ago. Windows '98 blaugh I just escaped having to know DOS. I had it for 8 years! My current PC is Windows XP, on it's 3rd mouse, 3rd printer, 2nd monitor, 2nd disc drive (which I installed myself cool , and almost ready for the bin. I'll miss it. Next stop will be very soon, Windows 7 I suppose, new bells and whistles to get used to. I think I've done very well to have only 2 PCs in 14 years!

What's your computing story? Are you anciently techie or technically challenged? I've learned a lot, but some of it is obsolete now.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:15 pm
I guess I'm anciently techie. whee I've been using computer for about 15 years now too. I've worked hard to amass knowledge about them and stay current. I'd be lost without mine.  

purpleravenhawk

Ergates

Conservative Dabbler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:52 am
purpleravenhawk
I guess I'm anciently techie. whee I've been using computer for about 15 years now too. I've worked hard to amass knowledge about them and stay current. I'd be lost without mine.

Staying current with technology in general is getting more difficult gonk It's so fast! And I'm slowing down xp rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:10 pm
That's true. 3nodding There's something new on the market every day. It's impossible to keep up with everything in detail. I keep wondering when we'll hit a wall.  

purpleravenhawk

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:37 pm
I started with a TI-99/4A when I was about 3 or 4, I played games on it. smile

Next my dad brought home a Tandy 1000 SX, I played games with that one too but I learned a lot of DOS.

Then he got a Bondwell B310, a heavy laptop with a whooping 2 megs of RAM and a whole 40 meg drive.

We progressed though the time with a new computer with lighter and smaller pieces, to way more powerful machines. As I'm getting older, I find it harder to keep up with latest technology as Liadan says.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:01 pm
Nei1

Next my dad brought home a Tandy 1000 SX, I played games with that one too but I learned a lot of DOS.

Then he got a Bondwell B310, a heavy laptop with a whooping 2 megs of RAM and a whole 40 meg drive.

We progressed though the time with a new computer with lighter and smaller pieces, to way more powerful machines. As I'm getting older, I find it harder to keep up with latest technology as Liadan says.

I've never even heard of those things lol although I do have a faint memory of playing Pong on a friends tv screen, so I guess Atari was the first for me. Not even colour tv then xd

Oh, I changed my username, by the way. Was An Liadan.  

Ergates

Conservative Dabbler

Nei1

Toxic Punk

24,350 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Toy Drive Tycoon 400
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:25 am
Ergates
Nei1

I've never even heard of those things lol although I do have a faint memory of playing Pong on a friends tv screen, so I guess Atari was the first for me. Not even colour tv then xd

The Ti99/4a looked sort of like this.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Tandy was this.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And the Bondwell ...User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:21 pm
Nei1
Ergates
Nei1

The Ti99/4a looked sort of like this.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The Tandy was this.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

And the Bondwell ...User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Oh wow. Just........wow! xd  

Ergates

Conservative Dabbler

Mayu-Makita

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:31 pm
I still have my atari, I need a need adapter so I can hook it up again......

I remember my parents talking about computers, but my first time as 2001 when I started college at 27yrs old. I'm accidentally a techyish. I think. My friend swear I understand and can do more than he who was raised on one can. I just refuse to work on anything that will use electricity, a bit fear, but mostly bad experiences

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:59 pm
I am so new. Never had a full pc. My first was/is my laptop. redface  

Penny Parker

Adventuring Gaian

12,000 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Dark Maverick423

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:01 am
My first counsel was that old NES the big cube one

but since we are talking bout PC mine was a Mac. i was about 6 or 7 yrs old when i got it and have been surrounded by computers ever since. Hmm lets see that makes it about 17 or 18 years of having my own compy. of course updating as time went on

Hmm my fav game back in the old day was System Shock. that game was scary fun!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iZMD_eCpEo one of the game's most famous quote XD

Good at Dos, when i was in high school i would mess with teachers by sending them Texts via DOS straight to their computer. the look on their face when they got a message from me Ooooo priceless XD they would freak out. i miss highshool at times XD  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:18 pm
I guess I must be tech saavy. I began using computers back in the days of DOS in high school. I learned more about computers through helping in a microsoft grant lab in my childrens elementary school. I then began working for the school district after all my children were either in middle or high school and received a good amount of training for my job. Then I enrolled in college via online courses. This all keeps me on the computer continuously.  

Witchiepoo0

9,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200

FireSpark
Crew

Aged Citizen

8,100 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:34 pm
The first computer I was "old enough" to manage on my own was the ubiquitous Commodore-64, back in 1986. The first cmoputer that was "mine", was an Amiga 1000(another Commodore product for those that are curious), that had served as the family computer from 1988 - 1993, and was then given to me. And that thing could still run pretty good too. By the time I graduated from high school in 1997, the family computer was upgrading again, and I was given a newer Mac-thing, while the old Amiga was handed off to a younger brother.

The last I saw of it was back in 2002, and as far as I know is still in someone's attic. I wonder if I could find it again? Just to see if it would boot.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:04 am
Mine was in 1985, when I was 5 and my dad was insistant on me learning DOS. He didn't really have anything a 5 year old would be interested in but I liked making folders and text documents. Later, down the road I would end up getting Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a nonsensically difficult Rescue Rangers game for it.  

B A S T A R D

6,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Brandisher 100

Queen Flutterby

Beloved Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:16 pm
I got my first "laptop" about 5 years ago. When I was in high school, I saw my first PC, I think, and we were learning DOS I guess. Didn't get much out of that but I remember when my husband got us all our first PC and we were playing "Police Quest". The one where you type in what you want him to do. Then there was "King's Quest" and then a few years later before there was an internet, we had a "Bulletin Board" and we would use our phone line and hook it up to our modem to hook up with other people who had "Bulletin Boards". So we had the first form of the internet before it WAS the internet. Our phone would ring and then you could see other people browsing around on your bulletin board and spy on them!. razz My family would ask why they would get that funny sound in their ear when they tried calling us sometimes. That makes me feel so old to think about!  
Old Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff