Welcome to Gaia! ::

-:: Multilingualism ::-

Back to Guilds

Want to learn another language? Come on in and see if we can help you. 

Tags: Language, International 

Reply -:: Multilingualism ::-
What is your opinion on people who say they know a language Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Submit

I Am A Mountie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:53 pm
and they don't.

Y'know people say "OMG I SPEEK _____ FLUENTLY, WANNA CHAT? I'LL TEACH YOU!"
Annnnddddd all they really know is, "Hello" and "My name is ____" and "Goodbye."
smilies/icon_confused.gif

I'm talking about this: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/gaia-international/japanese-3-come-chat-in-english-i-ll-translate-2-english/t.62195951_1/

Ok, I'm not just talking about weaboos, like that ^^. This can apply to anyone who says they know (meaning fluent, in most cases) a language and when know a few basic words and sentences.

Say what you think.
I'd like to know.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:49 pm
I remember there was a thread not too long ago where the thread title was "I know Japanese, ask me anything". Ironically, the OP knew what she was talking about and could actually speak Japanese. However, she seemed to think that there was one specific way of saying things, and so she criticized the Japanese on my About Me section of my profile page and ripped apart what my Japanese professors (who are Japanese themselves) had taught me. smilies/icon_gonk.gif

But lol, I was in that thread (the one you posted). That person made me rage. And who was this teacher the OP referred to? I don't know whether she made him up or if she's serious. If it's the latter, she should seriously stop taking lessons with him.

Anyway, I know Vietnamese, but at the same time, I don't really know it. I mean, I can understand it when I hear it being spoken (I guess it's due to my family speaking in Vietnamese around me and each other), but I cannot speak, write, or read it at all, if you get what I'm trying to say.  

Sakura Latte

Kawaii Shoujo

19,650 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200

Maria is Absent

Timid Werewolf

9,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:03 pm
And this is why I never claim to be fluent in French. XD I can ask questions, talk about the time of day, and other things like that, but I'll never be 'fluent'. XD
Questing Demonic Anklets. :3 98k//lmp

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:49 pm
well... i just ignore them ._.

also *withastrangeitalianaccent*
mamma mia!  

te con pastel

6,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50

Ukryu

6,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:06 pm
lmao, when I saw the title of this thread I knew this was about that specific thread. smilies/icon_xd.gif

Seriously though she couldn't have been studying Japanese for more than a month if any. I don't get why absolute beginners these days think they can translate anything. I didn't even begin thinking about translating until I knew I was past a beginner level. And I had a note in my siggy saying that I was a beginner and that people should correct me if I went into Japanese chatting threads. I seriously don't get people like this ._. At least, I gotta admit she's better than people that do this and then use google translate. Better, but still pretty bad.

Also, I rofl'd when I saw her teacher's name.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:49 pm
O.o; People like that make me cry. They're the type of people the world needs to watch out for. xD Or at least the type people with a low BS tolerance should stay away from, and vice versa. owo  

Kiyo Murasama

I Am A Mountie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:00 pm
Ukryu Wrote:
lmao, when I saw the title of this thread I knew this was about that specific thread. smilies/icon_xd.gif

Yeah... but it brought up a good topic that'll reach about 3 pages.

My opinion:
I strongly dislike people like that. It shows they're stupid because they think learning a language is easy. No. Shut up. I really hate people who think they have some language learning super power.
smilies/icon_mad.gif  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:00 pm
I almost know nothing about Japanese but one thing is for sure - what she wrote there ("tsudo en dorinku chuu, en suro-appu") was not Japanese.
Pretty silly making up sentences in Japanese in an anime-based websites and not expecting someone to find out.

People like this are annoying. She's one of those people who know some basic words and sentences, have no vocabulary and no knowledge in grammar or syntax of a language and then claim to know it, "I speak 10 languages lol!".  

Im A Little Pea

I Am A Mountie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:11 pm
Im A Little Pea Wrote:
I almost know nothing about Japanese but one thing is for sure - what she wrote there ("tsudo en dorinku chuu, en suro-appu") was not Japanese.
Pretty silly making up sentences in Japanese in an anime-based websites and not expecting someone to find out.

People like this are annoying. She's one of those people who know some basic words and sentences, have no vocabulary and no knowledge in grammar or syntax of a language and then claim to know it, "I speak 10 languages lol!".

I know a girl in real life who is like this. Heck, she doesn't even know any sentences!
Her: "I speak Italian!"
Me: "Say something, ten."
Her: "Parmesan ciabatta!"
Me: "How many words do you even know?"
Her: Like 10, 20."
Me: "Wow. "

The sad part was she was serious and this actually happened.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:12 pm
Why do people even try to pull this crap off...?

It's annoying how they believe languages are so easy to learn and don't have any complexity to them. And being a beginner, I don't get why she would even attempt translating. Although I am glad that she at least had the decency to not use Google Translate.

@Vanilla- And that is why people shouldn't even say "I speak _____" without at least being able to formulate a decent sentences of their own.  

Lord Fon Fabre

I Am A Mountie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:28 pm
Lord Fon Fabre Wrote:
Why do people even try to pull this crap off...?

It's annoying how they believe languages are so easy to learn and don't have any complexity to them. And being a beginner, I don't get why she would even attempt translating. Although I am glad that she at least had the decency to not use Google Translate.

@Vanilla- And that is why people shouldn't even say "I speak _____" without at least being able to formulate a decent sentences of their own.

Shut up, Fabre.
But yeah. Thats exactly how the girl is, she thinks learning languages is simple and easy. Dummy. smilies/icon_talk2hand.gif  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:56 pm
This annoys me to no end. smilies/burning_eyes.gif

They're just immature (or stupid)....hopefully they'll get over it eventually. ><  

Henneth Annun
Vice Captain

Nosuri

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:15 am
smilies/icon_xd.gif I found that thread funny. You know, even if you get angry at her, I think she'd find another thread/site to flaunt her supposed knowledge of Japanese. It's just something people do to appear different/special/more knowledgeable than others. Especially younger people that need to build an identity for themselves.

If people trust her translations, it's okay. They'll eventually learn the true translation later.

I also don't get people who ask for a sentence to be translated in another language when they don't plan on studying the language, but that's another story. smilies/icon_biggrin.gif  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:07 am
This girl I know, she's like, "I speak Spanish!" So I asked her to say something and I'm going to spell this phonetically. Understand her pronunciation by saying it the English way. "EL-la ES rooBEEA." She was trying to say "the girl is blonde."  

linda1796

4FK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:26 am
It's sad when someone tries then everyone discourages/bashes them, even if they claim knowledge, I think that's perfectly acceptable to say anything you want because<< at least they know some stuff. >>

I don't know if that made any sense
smilies/icon_confused.gif  
-:: Multilingualism ::-

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas