Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
Abortion isn't being used as birth control.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who's surprised?
  ME!
  Stupid people who will probably just say that this study is part of the vast abortion conspiracy.
  Not me.
  Poll whores.
View Results

PhaedraMcSpiffy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:36 pm
Guys, I have SHOCKING news! rolleyes

adeleidenow.com.au | Abortion not used as birth control.

A study at a clinic in Australia revealed that 62% of patients at a clinic were using contraception when they got pregnant. Now, before we give the lifers a chance to say that that means 48% of women are having abortions instead of using birth control, check this out:
Quote:
A Flinders University study of 965 women over 30* who used Adelaide's largest abortion clinic found 62 per cent were using contraception when they became pregnant.

Nursing and Midwifery researcher Wendy Abigail said the vast majority of the remainder of women also had not wanted to become pregnant.

She said they were not using contraception for dozens of reasons such as: cultural bans, thinking they could never have children, having been raped or having had what was thought to have been "permanent" birth-control surgery.

Ms Abigail blamed primarily male politicians for perpetuating the myth that women used termination as a convenience rather than for emotional and medical reasons.

So even if she wasn't using birth control it's not like she meant to go out there and get pregnant. And the "inconvenience" thing has always bothered me. 1. It implies that pregnancy is just a mild annoyance. 2. It assumes that having an abortion is convenient.

*And before the lifers can say that this means that only women over 30 who have abortions are responsible and the the rest are selfish teen/college kid whores: 70% of those under 30 used birth control! So much for that myth.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:47 pm
amen

biggrin  

Jailbait Queen

Shy Sex Symbol

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:34 pm
The Guttmacher Institute has had some contraceptive fact sheets that pretty much show the same thing in terms of the number of women who DO use contraceptive contrary to this idea that we're all tramps who can't keep our legs closed or bother to prevent pregnancy.

Link  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:30 pm
PhaedraMcSpiffy

A study at a clinic in Australia revealed that 62% of patients at a clinic were using contraception when they got pregnant. Now, before we give the lifers a chance to say that that means 48% of women are having abortions instead of using birth control, check this out:

I considered pointing out that this would mean that 38% of abortions occurred where no contraception was used but then I remembered that lifers are, as a rule, pretty terrible at math. xP

That said. Great news. This will be an amazing assett if Eras (or his flunkies) ever shows back up and his documented hypocrisy when it comes to AGI seems inappropriate or useless. 3nodding  

Jaaten Syric

Liberal Zealot

_Morgane Fay_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:29 am
Jaaten Syric
PhaedraMcSpiffy

I considered pointing out that this would mean that 38% of abortions occurred where no contraception was used but then I remembered that lifers are, as a rule, pretty terrible at math. xP

xp
Bad Jaaten. Baaaaad.

Good source! Though I must say that I always feel annoyed when I get pushed into the defensive "but women do not "abuse" their rights!1!1!!" - if it's a right, it's impossible to "abuse". If it's a right, then it must be considered morally neutral and no-one should care if someone gets 1, 5 or 10 abortions in their lifetime. (I mean, outside of the whole it being safer if you manage to avoid unnecessary invasive surgery thing).  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:50 am
By the by, did Eras get a permaban for his incessant trolling and unwarranted, deeply personal attacks or did he simply burn out and disappear?  

_Morgane Fay_

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:28 pm
Jaaten Syric

And even that wouldn't be the whole picture because that whole group isn't playing the "oh I know I should be using something, but it's such a hassle" game. People who have been told that they're infertile, are going through menopause, were assaulted or bullied out of contraception due to intimate partner violence, etc.

Not that lifers give a damn about IPV or legitimate medical concerns, but you know...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:32 pm
_Morgane Fay_
By the by, did Eras get a permaban for his incessant trolling and unwarranted, deeply personal attacks or did he simply burn out and disappear?

Multiple permas, actually.

And the great part was he started blaming them on 'gaia's liberal moderator staff'.  

Jaaten Syric

Liberal Zealot

_Morgane Fay_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:13 am
Jaaten Syric
_Morgane Fay_

And the great part was he started blaming them on 'gaia's liberal moderator staff'.

How uncreative. And unsurprising, of course.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:17 pm
Jaaten Syric

I'd laugh, but that actually made me die a little inside.  

Munkers

6,300 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hygienic 200
Pro-Choice Gaians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items