Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[Guide] Greek Mythology Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

oceantail

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:07 pm
Asignment III Athena:
I want you all to find a myth that features Athena (or one of her alias's I.E. Minerva)
I want you also to tell me which aspect of Athena this myth tells of, Wisdom, War, Crafts, etc. further I want you to make an educated guess at what the purpose of the myth was to the people it was told to.

I'll use the Arachne Myth as an example:
Quote:

One of the best known myths of Athena, is the story of Arachne.

Arachne was a mortal weaver who believed she was the best weaver on earth and Olympus. Athena, goddess of crafts, especially weaving, and she came down to challenge this mortal woman to a contest. Athena wove a tapestry of mortals and thier punishments for hubris, whereas Arachne wove an image of the gods and their misdeeds, Athena did not take kindly to this, and she destroyed Arachne's tapestry and cursed her by turning her into a spider where she would weave until the end of time.
The aspect of Athena this myth portrays is Athena the weaver, weaving is one of the crafts that Athena is patron of. The purpose of the story was to discourage Hubris, or over-weening pride, as Athena punished the prideful Arachne by turning her into a spider.

This project will be due no later then the 25 of June, that leaves the full moon open for you all. Have fun work hard, and make me proud.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:14 pm
I know some of you are wondering why I am extending my lessons and only posting once a week, Although some of you might notice I post on topics in this very guild more often. My reason for doing this is that I realize it is summer for most of you, and many people, me being one of them, like to go out and do stuff this season, in respect to that and I think I might have been putting out too much at a time before I am spreading the lessons out so you can follow at a more relaxed pace. I hope this helps, and if some of you feel this pace is too slow, PM me and I'll come up with stuff that will help you expand your learning.
Please remember that this is my first time teaching a class, so I will try stuff and be open to suggestions to help make this as rewarding of an experience as possible.
Athena Bless,
~Oceantail  

oceantail

oceantail

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:22 pm
Homework is due today!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:00 pm
catch-up/ new deal
I think my class might have been a little to demanding.
so now what I want instead is to post to the class work you didn't do just do the analysis like the Athena analysis on the myth I presented, if some of you want more challenge then I will supply on demand.
to be specific for each of the myths answer the following questions:
Quote:

1. What aspect of the deity does this myth represent?
2. What do think the purpose of this myth was to the people it was told to?
3. What is your reaction to this myth, any honest answer is okay, I trust you wont abuse this.

I hope to see more of all of you with these changes.  

oceantail

Ketmie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:07 pm
oceantail
catch-up/ new deal
so now what I want instead is to post to the class work you didn't do just do the analysis like the Athena analysis on the myth I presented, if some of you want more challenge then I will supply on demand.
Quote:

3. What is your reaction to this myth, any honest answer is okay, I trust you wont abuse this.

Question 1 is a good example of what I was talking about in my latest PM - about not knowing the basics. I don't know the "aspects" of any of the deities. >.<  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:20 pm
Ketmie
oceantail
catch-up/ new deal
Quote:

Question 1 is a good example of what I was talking about in my latest PM - about not knowing the basics. I don't know the "aspects" of any of the deities. >.<

When I refer to aspects it means what they do as deities and their personalities, i.e. Athena is the goddess of Wisdom, war, crafts etc. she is also the daughter of Zeus and patron of Athens these are some of the "aspects" of Athena, this might require some work.  

oceantail

Ketmie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:39 am
oceantail
Ketmie
oceantail
catch-up/ new deal
Quote:

When I refer to aspects it means what they do as deities and their personalities, i.e. Athena is the goddess of Wisdom, war, crafts etc. she is also the daughter of Zeus and patron of Athens these are some of the "aspects" of Athena, this might require some work.

Ah, well, perhaps this isn't the class for me. Please don't take this offensively, but if I'm going to learn all the basics myself through my own research, I don't really think I'm being "taught".

It's your class, and I respect your rights as a teacher to plan out and deliver lessons as you see fit. 3nodding

One tiny suggestion though, as I noticed the class is lacking participation - You might truly consider re-naming it to an Advanced course, and putting something up on the first page to the effect of, "This is for students who already have a basic understanding of Greek mythology, and are looking to expand their knowledge of myths surrounding specific deities."

Again, just a suggestion, and I mean all of this with the utmost respect. I think I am probably in the minority in this guild anyway, as far as not knowing the basics of Greek mythology, and an "advanced" title may even help you attract more students.

Best wishes! heart  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:07 pm
Classes will be postponed until new students arrive or old students return
~Oceantail
They may now resume, I will post new lessons when any student gets through the older ones  

oceantail

Athena Spring

Friendly Genius

4,550 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:53 am
too2sweet
The best place for info on the Greek Gods and Mythology is Theoi.com - very well researched site.

Thanks! That was a great site!  
The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games