Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Miscellaneous Threads
Whats your definition of cosplay? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Saint of Swords _SoS

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:11 pm
So I was doing this 'what is cosplay' page on my site, looking up what the interwebz' definition of cosplay was etc.
But then I figured it would prolly be more interesting to ask cosplayers themselves how they define their hobby.
So if you post your opinion please add your common used username on the internet or your name if you want and your country/state.
If you don't want me to use your post on my site then say so in your post.

So whats your personal definition of cosplay?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:24 pm
Yuu-chan, cosplayer since 2008
NJ, USA

I believe cosplay is our attempt to bring our favorite series and shows to life. We recreate the character and add in our own personality to it as we identify with it. No one cosplay will ever be the same. It's about what we see in the character, because that's what ultimately comes out in our costumes.

timelessGodhead

6,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

LovelyLadyAurora

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:02 pm
-l Kanda Yuu l-
Yuu-chan, cosplayer since 2008
NJ, USA

I believe cosplay is our attempt to bring our favorite series and shows to life. We recreate the character and add in our own personality to it as we identify with it. No one cosplay will ever be the same. It's about what we see in the character, because that's what ultimately comes out in our costumes.

I agree too. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:29 am
I'm going to need more feedback though o:  

Saint of Swords _SoS

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250

Dash-The-Dog

Perfect Dog

14,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:08 pm
Cosplaying=Costume+Roleplaying
Cosplaying=ME!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:42 pm
K, L.A. California
It is a hobby, it allows u 2 become some1 that u admire. It also lets us be ourselves while being a different person at the same time.  

Extreme Cuddler
Crew

Sparkly Sex Symbol

cuvier

Fashionable Gekko

6,300 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:46 pm
Akipanda, USA.
I'd have to say that cosplay for me is just a fun thing to do. Dressing up as a different character, or becoming someone else for a change. It's also a great way to make more friends, and show off what you do best, whether it's sewing, prop-making, or video-gaming. Cosplay is a really fun way to play. Costume-play~  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:16 pm
Kaida, New York

Cosplaying for me is a way to take a break from reality and role play as a character i admire greatly. I can become someone who never existed, and no one would really care. It is also a lot of fun to see the reactions of people who have no idea what you are doing. XP  

Veretix

8,750 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Saint of Swords _SoS

600 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:12 pm
Nice posts people!
More are always welcome.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:22 pm
Cosplay is costume play when you dress up like a character from a show, video game, movie, or maybe even book.  

Teriyaki Tsubaki

1,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Sith Faced

Spacey Nymph

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:05 pm
Cosplaying to me is two things,
1; Showing my complete and udder adoration for a character so much so that I am willing to spend hours of my money and time to bring this fictional character to life, be it from video game, movie, anime, manga, or otherwise.
2; Getting a chance to be completely and 100% myself while dressed as someone else. When I cosplay, I feel like I can be as honest as I want to be, because no one else really knows who I am, or anything about me. It's a totally freeing experience.
Cosplay= heart  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:48 pm
Rishiki, Arizona

Cosplaying is a hobby that let's me be creative. It not only gives me a way to focus (or unwind) but also allows me to try to be someone without truly becoming that person (meaning I don't have to be that way every hour of he day).  

Rishiki

pitamin

Hygienic Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:59 pm
I think that cosplaying is a way for fans to become someone else. Some people cosplay as existing characters, OCs, celebrities.

Most mundane people cosplay at least once a year without even realizing it! It's on Halloween night!

I cosplay as my OCs smile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:48 pm
Ashta- Missouri, USA

To me, cosplaying is just as it sounds. I love the simple excuse to dress up and feel like a kid again. The simplicity of having fun and having a hobby that does not involve any thing illegal.
Bringing out my personal favorite characters and original characters to life and slowly slipping into their personal personality. No matter how close or work in progress to the cosplay it's self, it always bugs me when you have the "Elite" cosplayers yell at you or say rude things just because of minor details. I just tend to ignore them and enjoy having fun with my hobby.  

Ashta Nightrayne

harukokun

4,750 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:02 pm
to me cosplaying is getting to be someone your not for a day or just having fun dressing up in something you enjoy but don't get to do everyday  
Miscellaneous Threads

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff