Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:56 pm
I personally go for the Mexican Spanish accent as opposed to Catalan...

Because I the soft th sound they use instead of c or z. Plus it's more useful where I live, which is basically Mexico. Except for a few wording differences. Like, zacate versus cesped.

And there used to be the day when I would type those sounds in x-sampa or ipa, but that day has long passed. As has my use of accents and capitalization. :/  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:17 pm
For German I use a High German version of pronunciation.

Honestly, that's the only language for which I can pinpoint a regional accent.... ><

For French though, my teachers have been from Belgium or southwestern France, but I don't know which one my pronunciation is more like.  

Henneth Annun

lili of the lamplight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:01 pm
Doppelgaanger
I personally go for the Mexican Spanish accent as opposed to Catalan...

Because I the soft th sound they use instead of c or z. Plus it's more useful where I live, which is basically Mexico. Except for a few wording differences. Like, zacate versus cesped.

And there used to be the day when I would type those sounds in x-sampa or ipa, but that day has long passed. As has my use of accents and capitalization. :/

Catalan is not an accent or dialect of Spanish. It is a distinct language spoken by people who call themselves Catalan and live primarily near the border of France and Spain. Catalan sounds different, is written differently, and is legally recognized in Spain as being a separate language from Spanish. If you mean the dialect (or more accurately, the family of dialects) of Spanish spoken in Spain, the word is Castillian.

As far as my pronunciation goes, it varies. I learned most of my Spanish in Spain, which is very clear in my accent (I do the lithpy thing), I've picked up a few artifacts from one of my professors who's from Chile, but I'm trying to learn to switch back and forth between a more generic Latin Spanish and Castillian Spanish.

German is the easiest for me as far as dialects go - I basically use Hochdeutsch, but am able to copy the pronunciation of certain dialects, if not the entire lexicons (although I'm working on that too!). The thing is, even if a German speaker is speaking Hochdeutch, his/her pronunciation and lexicon usually still reflect a regional dialect in everyday conversation.  
The Foreign Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff