Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!
October 2009

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:32 pm
User Image

Blessed_Scribe
We are in need of writers for the following sections:
Animal Totems, Astral Projection, Author of the Month, Book Review, Divination, Kitchen Witches, Meditation, Pagan Art and Pagan Music

If you're interested, please head on over to this thread to pick up the application. Once you've filled it out, please send it to Blessed_Scribe.

It's a paying job (Gaia gold only), so it's well worth it! biggrin

Blessed_Scribe
If you've enjoyed this issue of the newsletter, or have any suggestions, please feel free to post some feedback!

Table of Contents

-Introduction
-Guild Happenings
-Members Section
-Abilities
-Advanced Practitioners
-Crystals & Gemstones
-Current Affairs
-Herb Garden
-Kitchen Witches
-Mythical Creatures
-Pagan Humor
-Game Room
-Classified Ads  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:48 pm
User Image

-We are currently giving away 50,000 gold in our Guild Lotto. Tickets are only 100 gold each, and if you buy 10 tickets, you get 5 free!

-We celebrated Mabon/Ostara in the Moonlight Market! Voting ends on the 4th.

-We got two new crew members: Ich Bin Q and x Haruhi in Wonderland x

-Keep an eye out for our Samhain/Beltane party. Coming soon!

| Introduction | Guild Happenings | Members Section | Abilities | Advanced Practitioners | Crystals & Gemstones | Current Affairs | Herb Garden | Kitchen Witches | Mythical Creatures | Pagan Humor | Game Room | Classified Ads |  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:56 pm
User Image

Please welcome our new members! biggrin

SammyInsanity, Ipocrita in the Rising, Minoma Tears, Rena Ishtar, neko wyndy wytch, vampire_mistress1412, Zerr0, DarkDaughter, coldwater25, Blood Saga, Melanchoy of an Angel, Phoebe4448, lil fae of seelie sidhe, Shizuma Sama Etoile, gemherbal, Ara Rose, VorianTatura, Michael Jetfire, -Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden, Draculas-Mistress, Morb13, stregaqueen, Alicia_Raven, p o c k y x p e n g u i n, Soruko chan, blazelily, Alphawolf640, Ethealda_Green, akire1024, Ninjaness16, Koren-the-Phoenix, starlee2, Mellez, Rozalyn_Aoyama, iSandbox, Victor_Black256, lCobaltl, Cooley Fair, xMoonlitShadowsx, Asher Nightclaw, Autumn Nightclaw, Slevara, Drollive, Azia Rose, nhe321, DarkRose072687, temper616, Rosa Coronada, gothprincess1017, mommys little vampire, Shorana-iceheart, Marie_Raine, redtearsblackwings, Taya Mockingbird, superpsychogirl, sunni_nikko1, Alky, That Missing Pikey, Crimson Tears Tobi, Shadow Raika, Ezise, anime_wiccan_chick, Amethyst_Craft, Rainy-Desu

Please wish these members a happy birthday for the months of October and November!

October 1st - - Airdweia and SilverGreyWolf
October 2nd - - _Hy5t3r1a_
October 3rd - - foxtailfairy
October 4th - - Abbie913
October 5th - - wiccan of the moon and Dark Anathema
October 6th - - Fieryhexe
October 7th - - run.away.screaming
October 8th - - tabiatha, MiladyMidnight and Morb13
October 9th - - Hikari_Saito
October 11th - - Jamie of Spades
October 14th - - baluk15, DehShadow-ness, Lus-cloud, shivanti, SowiloWitch, and virgo2591
October 15th - - Lanarah
October 16th - - Amendria
October 17th - - broken_tormented
October 21st - - DarkDaughter
October 24th - - akire1024 and Alky
October 25th - - Neurotripsy and The Spawn of Cookies
October 26th - - Korealia
October 27th - - yashaki
October 29th - - The Pirate Kuei
October 30th - - Ariel Moose
October 31st - - IMA_BI_hehehe

November 3rd - - MorganeLeFaye
November 4th - - Vashesgal, Tawnybmw12 and Crimson Eyed Scholar
November 6th - - Jenny Artucio
November 10th - - Ninjaness16
November 11th - - loveblackbutterflies
November 14th - - Hayate of the Wind, The Loneliest Acromantula and NightzRain
November 15th - - the-jo87
November 18th - - doistu and courtney murder
November 19th - - Amethyst_Craft
November 20th - - Ross Mohan
November 22nd - - x badabing
November 28th - - Eros Conoirus

User Image

Congratulations to Ich Bin Q!

User Image

Blessed_Scribe: What initially sparked your interest in Wicca/Paganism?
I think it was a blend of two things that turned me on to Wicca. First, I was young and rebellious. I wanted to distinguish myself and be a pillar standing against social norms. Wicca and Witchcraft just seemed an easy, accessible, and mostly peaceful snub to the everyday world. Doesn't make me proud to admit that, but it's the truth. The second thing that influenced me to learn about Wicca is that I was just generally, very, spiritually hungry. There was so much I wanted to feel and know, to understand and be a part of, and I just wasn't getting it by "conventional" means. Again, Wicca seemed to be an easy, accessible, and peaceful place to start that journey for spiritual fulfillment.

Blessed_Scribe: How long have you be studying Wicca/Paganism?

Off and on for ten, eleven years? Not continuously, mind. There was a brief stretch in there that I was focusing more of my brainpower on studying eastern religious philosophies, and let my pagan studies fall to the wayside (except for herbalism... I always did keep up with that). But even that contributed to my current path and practice, so hey.

Blessed_Scribe: What has kept you interested in Wicca/Paganism for that length of time?
Again, two things. At first, what kept me interested was the self-empowerment. Has your situation gone down the crapper? You can change it. At your wits end with this pizza addiction of yours? You can heal it. Have a friend whose heart is hurting? You can do more to help them. I never felt particularly "powerful", but knowing that I had some element of control helped me to not feel like I was completely powerless, which I believe is a huge problem in society today.
Second, it's the knowledge of things which I cannot ignore. Once I started recognizing energy consciously, and became aware of just how complicated and alive the very air around us is, how full of life and energy and potential everything is, I knew I could never turn my back on it. I have an awareness that I just can't switch off. Thanks to that, I'd say I'll always keep at least one finger on the pagan pulse, in some way or another.

Blessed_Scribe: What is your favorite area of study and why?

My big love has always been herbalism. I suppose this is because herbs and botanicals have very noticeable and immediate effects on the human mind, in aromatherapy. Feeling depressed? Lavender. Feeling anxious? Lavender. Feeling lovesick? Well... lavender, darnit! I also like knowing the medicinal properties of herbs (lavender is a good antiseptic, calms stings and burns). Okay, scratch all that. My favourite area of study is lavender.
Seriously though, just about any spell I work relies heavily on the use of herbs and botanicals, because they just make sense in my mind. It's my psycho-spiritual trigger.

Blessed_Scribe: Which element do you feel the strongest connection to and why?
I started studying as a Water element, but later moved to being a Fire. I think this is because, at the time I began studying, I was highly emotional and craved nurturing. I had a need to give and receive a soft, soothing love. As years went by, though, I became much stronger in myself, not needing to lean on the energy of water, no longer having my more fiery qualities dampened. It's definitely something I had to grow into. Now, I ground fastest in fire, work faster with and have more control over fire energy, and am extremely passionate about everything I do, no matter how "small" it may seem.

Blessed_Scribe: Have you ever experimented with any form of divination? If so, what's your favorite form and what's one of your most memorable experiences while using it?
I've toyed with runes and pendulums, but my favourite method of divination is the tarot. I've had many decks over the years, but my main two are The Witches Tarot (for practical readings), and the Gummy Bear Tarot (for fun and optimism). My favourite memory in reading was this crazy little character known as the Prince of Cups, constantly showing up in my spreads, with all of the rest of the reading hinting at "new beginnings". A few months later, I got a shiny, new Piscean boyfriend. And even now, whenever the Prince of Cups comes up, I know it's talking about him.

Blessed_Scribe: Have you ever tried casting a spell? Did it work? Why do you think it did or didn't work?
Most of my first ones were utter fail. There was one in my first years of study that did actually work... it was a love spell, and I did get a new companion. It was a stray cat. Not exactly what I had in mind, but I didn't specify what sort of "love" I was looking for, either.
Recently though, after years of practice, my spells work more often than not. I know the last one I did was successful, to keep someone I know from getting involved with someone I know to be emotionally abusive.

Blessed_Scribe: If you could have any type of "special" power, what would you choose and what would you do with it?
Not really "special" since some people do have this ability, but I would like to travel astral. I am very much grounded to this world and this reality... no matter how hard I try (and don't "try"), I can't get my feet off this ground. As for what I would do with the ability, I'd just go and visit familiar faces and places.

Blessed_Scribe: What one book would you recommend to anyone new to Paganism; and why?
Believe it or not, the best, most complete book I've found on both spiritual theory and magical practice has been the Witch School: Lessons in the First Degree book. It has the basic elements of theory, in better detail than any Cunningham book I've read, with less of an attitude than Buckland, and excludes "fantasy" elements that authors like Conway, Ann Moura, and McCoy seem to lean on. The areas of the book that focus on energy work are as solid as a good Penczak book, too. So for anyone who is brand new to the pagan path, I'd recommend this.
I'll fudge a bit here and recommend a second one: after reading the first book, I'd recommend The Goodly Spellbook by Lady Passion and *Diuvei, which hammers out a great deal of ritual components and practices in high detail, so you understand why spells work, rather than just blindly expecting them to work without understanding the mechanics. The spells, which are actually less than 1/3 of the actual content of the book, are also very practical, and cover a wide variety of needs.

Blessed_Scribe: How does being nominated for Member of the Month make you feel?
Very surprised and honored as well. This guild is one of the most active, level-headed, and spiritually supportive neopagan communities I have found on the Internet at large, not just on here on Gaia. So being picked out by such a rad group of people feels really neat.

----------

Member's Art

If you'd like to have your art featured here, just PM Blessed_Scribe. You'll get gold for anything that you submit.
(Art is defined as poetry, short stories, excerpts from a novel, photography, sculptures, graphic design, painting, drawings, collages, etc).

| Introduction | Guild Happenings | Members Section | Abilities | Advanced Practitioners | Crystals & Gemstones | Current Affairs | Herb Garden | Kitchen Witches | Mythical Creatures | Pagan Humor | Game Room | Classified Ads |  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:14 pm
User Image

Abilities – Clairvoyance
Written by Melancholy of an Angel

Clairvoyance: a category of abilities in which the clairvoyant sees things not normally visible to the naked eye. It is most commonly thought of as being able to see the spirits of the deceased but also encompasses such abilities as: seeing auras, visions of the future, scrying, and others. In magickal and psychic practice it is a very useful skill with a variety of uses. I’ve met people who used clairvoyance to see the dead they are contacting, to clairvoyance to scry the future, and even things such as remote viewing. Clairvoyance is by far one of the most useful abilities I have ever encountered.

There are many different ways to develop Clairvoyance. The one that I have found the most useful is clearing and connecting the third eye chakra. These seven steps should help you do just that:

1) First affirm yourself, “It is safe for me to see.” Say this affirmation repeatedly, and if you sense any tension or fear while doing so, breathe deeply. With each inhalation, imagine you are blowing out all your concerns about being clairvoyant.
2) Take a clear quartz crystal and hold it in your dominant hand imagining a beam of light coming from above and going into your crystal. Hold the intention that this white light is clearing your crystal of all negative energy it may have absorbed.
3) Raise the crystal, still in your dominant hand, until it’s just slightly above the place between your two eyebrows. Move your middle finger until it’s pointing through the crystal and to your third eye.
4) Then place the middle finger of your non dominant hand at the highest point and the back (not the top) of your head.
5) Imagine a powerful bright lightening bolt coming from your dominant hands middle finger, going through your third eye, and ending ant your non dominant hands middle finger. As the power runs through your head, it’s clearing psychic debris and awakening your third eye.
6) Next, put your hands above your ears, still holding the crystal in your dominant. Imagine a white light circuit just like the lightning bolt one. Though instead of clearing, this time you’re excavating a five inch tunnel, connecting your third eye to your brain.
7) The final part is to put your middle dominant finger on the crystal over your third eye. Begin lifting any barriers over your third eye that has been blocking your vision. Do this by coaxing them up with light feathery movements until there is nothing in your way.

This process should clean, charge, and connect your third eye. There are many other methods out there but this is my personal favorite. Afterwards you should try opening and closing your third eye. Once you make sure it’s open go out into the world and see something!

Gods bless and Good luck,
~Kai
-----

Sources:
How to Hear Your Angels, Doreen Virtue
The Complete Guide to Psychic Development: 100 Ways to Tap into Your Psychic Potential, Cassandra Eason

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:29 pm
User Image

Advanced Practitioners – Reconsidering Tools
Written by Starlock

No matter your path within contemporary Paganism, chances are you utilize some sort of tools in your practice. As such they are often discussed at length as items of importance to our ways. Topics might include how to go about choosing tools (or crafting your own), how to properly dedicate them for ritual use, or perhaps a commentary on how the only tool that is really necessary is the practitioner themselves.

There is a perspective on tools, however, that I don't see addressed very often. That is how Animism - a perspective held by many Neopagans - informs a practitioner's relationship with their tools. Recall that Animism is the belief that all things are ensouled or have a unique essence. Through this essence all things have clear powers of their own as well as a will.

When we think of what the word "tool" means, it seems to imply automatically the antithesis of this Animistic perspective. If something is a tool, it has no soul or spirit and certainly has no will of its own. It only lends assistance to whoever happens to be using it. There are those who believe tools are nothing more than implements.

Yet at the same time, if we believe that tools have some sort of power that is their own - which can enhance what we're doing - does that not imply some sort of characteristic essence or soul? Particularly if you are an Animist, to call the materials we work with "tools" is an insult (as it would be if you called a fellow human beings one)!

So what is a practitioner to do? If we hold to an Animistic perspective, what should our relationship be to our "tools" if we even call them such? Should we treat them merely as soulless objects that respond to our will alone? Should we instead treat them as companions in magic similar to a spiritual guide or familiar? How does our choice change the way in which we work ritual and spells?

The answer that you come to is your business and yours alone, but I challenge you to deeply consider for a moment your relationship to your tools as well as what you think tools really are.

Explore, experiment, and enjoy!

-----

Sources:
I have no specific references for this article, in part because I honestly cannot remember where I first read about the idea of treating tools as companions, save that I think it was in something Neoshamanic.
I would like to credit the Native Americans, however, as when I have attended their ceremonies, they very clearly treat their "tools" with tremendous respect and as sacred, ensouled objects.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:37 pm
User Image

Crystals and Gemstones - Bloodstone
Written by Brett KoZakku

User Image

* Common Name: Bloodstone
* Found: India, Australia, United States, Germany, Scotland, Brazil, China, Czech Republic, and Russia.
* Also known as: Heliotrope
* Appearance: Green, speckled with reds and golds
* Element(s): Fire

Bloodstone used to be used as an amulet in the belief that it could stop bleeding and cleanse the blood stream. It was supposed to give the wearer clairvoyance while preserving his health. In ancient folklore, bloodstone was said to give off audible sounds as a guide, though I have never experienced this. It gives one the ability to banish evil and negativity of all kinds. Bloodstone corresponds to the first Chakra -at the base of your spine. The name Heliotrope is derived from the Greek words meaning "sun" and "turning" because of the idea that when the stone is immersed in water it would turn the sun red. It can have either a glassy or a waxy luster, the glassy being the more sought after.

In ancient mythos Bloodstone was thought to have the ability to stop haemorrhages by merely touching the stone. Ancient warriors often carried a Bloodstone amulet which was intended to stop the bleeding when applied to a wound. In the Middle Ages, special powers were attributed to Bloodstone because it was believed to have been formed when some drops of Jesus' blood fell and stained some Jasper at the foot of the cross. From that time on, this stone was used in sculptures representing flagellation and martyrdom, leading it to be dubbed "The Martyr's Stone." Believed to have great healing powers, the stones were crushed into powder and mixed with honey and egg whites; a concoction believed to cure tumors and to stop bleeding. Alchemists used Bloodstone to cure blood poisoning as well as draw out the poison from venomous snakebites. Engraved Bloodstone was used by the Babylonians in divination, and both they and the ancient Egyptians used it to magickally defeat enemies, usually by employing the stone's abilities to increase personal strength and yet make one "invisible" when they wanted attention focused strategically elsewhere. The Leyden Papyrus declared that "The world has no greater thing than bloodstone," it opens all doors for its owner, breaks down the walls of prisons and averts many disasters. Also known as a Mother Goddess stone, it is associated with images of Isis and Horus and the Black Madonna.

Bloodstone is used in weather magick. It can also be a good charm for athletes who require added strength. It can be used to dispel bewilderment and clarify obscure thought. it is connected to the astrological signs of Pisces and Aries.
Other magickal uses for bloodstone are that it Increases physical strength, centers and grounds, Calms anxieties, Invisibility, Guards against deception, past life exploration, increases self-esteem and self-appreciation, promotes love of family, enhances wealth, legal matters and business, gives physical aid in treating: blood disorders, anaemia, and circulation, detoxifying, strengthens immune system, relieves menstrual and menopausal symptoms, liver, kidneys, bone marrow and intestines, and Heart
problems. **

**-Do not, however, think that you should just get a bloodstone to heal yourself instead of going to a doctor!

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:39 pm
User Image

Current Affairs – Seasonal Down Time?
Written by doistu

Both the Autumnal Equinox and Samhain are pretty much just around the corner, the days are getting shorted and the weather is getting colder. Many people close to me dislike this time of year; summer is over and they all have to go back to work or school and the damning routine that shackles us all is back with vengeance! It’s really quite a negative and sad time for a lot of people. In fact, some people even suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), which often causes depression and negative feelings as the warm, sunny weather deteriorates.

Among my pagan friends I’ve known many to complain about the cold, rain and snow but as pagans do many of us not claim to worship and honour the seasonal cycles? The Autumnal Equinox and Samhain are the latter harvest festivals and Samhain is classically a time to honour what has passed before us into another realm.

We know the darker days are coming so why don’t many of us embrace that and prepare? Make jams and preserves to get into the spirit of welcoming winter. At this time I make a lot of biscuits and cakes to use up left over ingredients and collect foods that will last longer during the winter months.

I won’t lie; autumn and winter are my favourite times of the year. I adore the changing colours of the world. I collect the yellows, reds, oranges and gold’s and make things with those colours. I’m thinking of making a wreath this year! So you could consider me to be a bit biased.

However, as these darker days approach lots of pagans are alone as the solitary pagan path is very large, the ability to gather and enjoy the arrival of a new season isn’t really there for a lot of people. Perhaps it’s time we started gathering together more and seeking out those similar to us just to have the support that a lot of us need in these times.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:59 pm
User Image

Herb Garden - Cinnamon
Written by doistu

User Image

Cinnamon or Cinnamomum zeylanicumis an extremely common herb found in all supermarkets around the world. In many places you find it more during the winter season. Cinnamon is found in apple pies and crumbles, mulled wine and all sorts of other seasonal goodies!

Cinnamon actually comes from the inner bark of a tropical evergreen. Thus, it more often grows in hotter climates. In ancient times cinnamon was much sought after due to its taste and medicinal properties. This led it to be very expensive and valued.

For some reason it has a wonderfully warming quality and, in spellwork, is used for protection, healing and love. When the winter months approach I hang cinnamon sticks over my front door for protection!

Though cinnamon is warm and strong both its scent and flavour rarely overpower the main flavours of a dish. Instead it compliments them, adding a little bit of a kick. This is unlike many other warming herbs, like chillies, which I often find become the centre focus of a dish.

When buying cinnamon it comes either as a powder or a stick. Cinnamon sticks are extremely easy to spot because they look like brown, rolled up paper. If you desire the powdered version you have to look really carefully at all the labels. I’ve often picked up what I believed was cinnamon and ended up being paprika or cumin.

Due to its heat it is believed that cinnamon affects the blood, blood flow and can control some issues with the blood (i.e. high blood pressure). It is also often used to treat nausea and flatulence.

A gorgeous little video I found online included a vast amount of cinnamon and the end result was so fun so I will pop a link to it at the end of the article. First, to explain the video, in it the video maker makes things called Spell Stars. They can be used as pot pourri, protection amulets, Yule decorations or anything else you can think of! You basically make dough using apple sauce and cinnamon, cut shapes and let them dry over a few days. But don’t eat them!

Note: Seek professional medical advice before using any herb medicinally.

-----

Sources:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GFJw1gPibM

http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/cinnamon.html

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:46 am
User Image

Kitchen Witches - Cinnamon
Written by AmyK02

This month I’ve been using lots of cinnamon to help with some health problems I’ve been having and as the fall season is starting to fall upon us in the Northern Hemisphere it seemed to me to be a great spice to cover this month.

I knew cinnamon was yummy and helps with blood circulation, but I’ve been astounded with recent knowledge about how much else it can help with. Just today my Grandpa told me he has been using it to help promote weight loss and after doing some googling I found many people that agree with him as well as some recipes.

Along with weight loss it can help ease the pain of a menstrual cycle, helps regulate blood sugar in type 2 diabetics and when mixed with honey can help with arthritis pain. There are claims that simply smelling cinnamon can help improve memory. See sources below for more information on the top 10 health benefits of cinnamon.

Lose Weight Using Cinnamon Powder and Honey
The recipe for this alleged weight loss aid is very simple. Combine one teaspoon honey with one-half teaspoon cinnamon powder and boil in one cup of water. After the mixture has boiled, filter it into another cup. Divide the mixture into two half-cup quantities to be consumed one-half hour before breakfast and one-half hour before going to sleep at night. By following this regimen, it is suggested that a dieter may easily lose weight without changing anything else within his or her diet.

Cinnamon Rolls:

1/2 cup warm water
2 pkg. active dry yeast
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 3 1/2 oz. pkg. instant vanilla pudding
2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
8 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
1+ cup sugar
1/4+ cup good quality cinnamon

In a small bowl, combine water, yeast, and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Set aside.
In large bowl, make pudding mix according to package directions. Add butter, eggs, and salt; mix well. Add the yeast mixture; blend. Gradually add flour and knead until smooth and elastic.
Place in very large greased bowl. Cover and let rise until double (about 1 hour). Punch down and let rise again (45 minutes).
On a lightly floured surface, roll out to a 1/4 inch thick rectangle, 21 inches in its smaller dimension. Note: you may wish to divide the dough in halves and roll out two rectangles. You may have to partially roll it out, then cover it with a damp cloth and let it rest before finishing. Spread 1/2 cup melted butter over surface. Mix cinnamon and sugar together, and spread evenly over surface, leaving a 1-inch margin along one of the long edges. Roll up tightly, starting from a long side. Press together along the edge not covered with cinnamon sugar.
Slice at ~1 1/4 inch intervals. Place on greased baking pan, ~2 inches apart. Cover and let rise until double again.
Bake at 350oF for 15-20 minutes. Remove as soon as they turn golden. Frost warm rolls if desired.

Hot Mulled Cider:

1/2 cup of brown sugar
1 quart of apple cider
1 quart of cran-apple juice
1 teaspoon of allspice
1 teaspoon of cloves
3 sticks cinnamon
Dash nutmeg

Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 30 minutes. Serve hot.

-----

Sources:

http://diet.lovetoknow.com/wiki/How_to_Lose_Weight_Using_Cinnamon_Powder_and_Honey

http://health.howstuffworks.com/cinnamon-herbal-remedies.htm

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-cinnamon.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:55 am
User Image

Mythical Creatures - Dragons
Written by Brett KoZakku

User Image

The dragon is a mythical beast, usually represented as a huge, winged, fire-breathing reptile. For centuries the dragon has been prominent in the folklore of many peoples; thus, its physical characteristics vary greatly and include combinations of numerous animals. The dragon has often been associated with evil. In many legends a dragon had the ability to wreak havoc upon a land and therefore had to be either propitiated by a human sacrifice, or killed; it was also often the guardian of a treasure or a maiden. The highest achievement of a hero in medieval legend was the slaying of a dragon, as in the story of St. George. King Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, also killed a dragon. The giant red dragon of the Apocalypse gave rise to the use of the beast as symbolic of Satan in Christian art and literature. In ancient China the dragon was associated with fertility and prosperity.

An alternative name for dragons is wyrm, a word clearly related to "worm". This name is more commonly used for serpentine, water dwelling dragons but can be used for any of them. Dragons are sometimes said to breathe and spit fire, poison, and/or ice. They are commonly portrayed as serpentine or reptilian, hatching from eggs and possessing feathered or scaly bodies. They are sometimes portrayed as having large yellow or red eyes, a feature that is the origin of the word for dragon in many cultures. They are sometimes shown with a row of dorsal spines or bat-like wings. Winged dragons are usually portrayed only in European dragons while Oriental versions of the dragon resemble large snakes. Dragons can have a small to large number of legs: none, two, four, or more when it comes to early European literature. Quite a big jump in numbers, but then again they Do have stories from so many different countries that it's not surprising that there is such a gap. Also, some dragons in Greek literature were known to have millions of legs at a time. Modern depictions of dragons tend to be larger than their original depictions, which were often smaller than humans, but grew in the myths and tales of man over the years.

Many pagans/wiccans like to practice "dragon magick" which "teaches you to work in harmony with dragons and with draconic energies, how to befriend draconic entities, and how to blend this with your current way of worship. You don't have to change your path but you do have to be willing to adapt it in order to work with dragons. Dragons become more than just 'co-magicians’; they are valuable working partners that should be treated as equals." There is, of course, more to it than that, but you should look it up on your own to see if you are really interested in it.

-----

Sources:
http://www.fox-moon.com/dragon.html

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:01 am
User Image

Pagan Humor - Why did the chicken cross the road?
Provided by koudelkaW

Alexandrian/Gardnerian: To reveal this would be to break my oath of secrecy. I can say, though, that it -really - is an ancient rite, dating far back in time, back even before 1951, and I have learned it from an unbroken lineage. As Gerald said, it takes a chicken to make an egg.

-Asatru: First, we don't believe in a -One Chicken - or a -Hen and Rooster We believe in many chickens. Second, crossing the road is part of the three levels, or worlds, and the chicken simply crossed from one level to another. Hail to the Chickens

-British Traditional: The word chicken comes from a very specific Old English word (gechekken), and it only properly applies to certain fowl of East Anglia or those descended therefrom. As for the rest, I suppose they are doing something remotely similar to crossing the road, but you must remember that traditional roads are not to be confused with the modern roads....

-Celtic: In County Feedbeygohn on Midsummer's day, there is still practiced St. Henny's Dance, which is a survival of the old pagan Chicken Crossing fertility rite. Today, modern pagans are reviving the practice, dedicated to the Hen and the Green Rooster.

-Ceremonial: Crossing the road is a phrase that summarizes many magical structures erected and timed by the chicken to produce the energy necessary for the intention of the travel across the road. For example, the astrological correspondences had to be correct, the moon had to be waxing (if the chicken intended to come to the other side of the road) or waning (if the chicken intended to flee to the other side of the road), and the chicken had to prepare herself through fasting and proper incantations.

Note: certain forms of invocation (summoning an egg inside your chicken self) can produce abnormal or even dangerous eggs and should only be conducted inside a properly erected barnyard.

-Chaos: Thinking in terms of roads and crossings is simply looking at the formal, typically perceived structure of chicken crossing space-time.

We, instead, focus on the possibility of chicken crossing itself what appears to be a random act is thus actually the norm - it is the road which is the freak of chance. Indeed, quantum mechanics now demonstrates what we knew all along: two roads can simultaneously exist in the same place at the same time. Thus, by attuning ourselves to the dynamic energy (called crossing), we can manifest the road. Of course, to the unknowledgeable, this appears as a chicken crossing the road.

-Dianic: The chykyn (chicken is a term of patriarchal oppression) sought to reclaim for herself the right to be on the other side of the road, after it had been denied to her for centuries. By doing so, she reawakened the power of the Hen within herself.

-Discordian: c**k-a-doodle-doo

-Druid: To get to the sacred grove, of course keep in mind that of everything written about chickens-crossing-the-road is pure hogwash, based on biased sources. Yes, there were a few unfortunate chicken sacrifices in the past, but that is over now...

Eclectic: Because it seemed right to her at the time. She used some Egyptian style corn and a Celtic sounding word for the road and incorporated some Native American elements into her Corn-name, Chicken-Who-Dances-and-Runs-with-the-Wolves.

-Faery: In twilight times and under sparkling stars, those properly trained can still see the chickens crossing the roads. Reconnecting with these -fey-fowl as they cross is crucial to restoring the balance between the energies of modern development and living with the earth.

-Family Traditional: Growing up, we didn't think much about crossing the road. A chicken was a chicken. It crossed the road because that was what worked to get her to the other side. We focused on what worked, and we worked more with the elders of the barnyard and less with all this guardians of the chicken coop business. We didn't get our concepts of chickens or the other side from Gardner, either. You can choose not to believe us since we did not scratch down on paper what was clucked to us orally (which, at certain times in history, was the only way to avoid becoming Easter chicken soup), but that doesn't change the facts: -there -were real chickens, and they really did cross the road

-Kitchen Witch: The chicken crossed the road to get food, to get a rooster or to get away from me after I decided to have chicken for dinner

-Left Hand Path: White, fluffy chickens prancing across the road Do you think that is all there is to crossing the road? Do you dare to know the dark side of crossing the road and the other path to self-development?

-New Age: The chicken crossed the road because she chose this as one her -lessons to learn in this life. Besides, there was so much incense and bright, white corn to explore on the Other Side.

-Newbie: well, 'cause I read in this really kewl book that said, like, chickens are supposed to cross the road, right?

-Posting on an Online Discussion Group: What do you mean why did the chicken cross the road???? Haven't you read -any of the previous posts? We've been expletive deleted debating every word of that question, painstakingly trying to come to some kind of answer. I know you wrote all I wanted to know was why chickens cross the road, I'm not -looking for any chicken spells but I'm fed up with newbies who can't -even bother to REEEEEEEEAAADDD the posts on that very topic No, this is not a flame. But, I and several others here have the maturity to -properly explore and respond to this question, and we were properly trained we didn't just read a book and think we were full-fledged chickens.

Whew,-feeling much better after ranting...

- Solitaire: The chicken didn't want to be part of a coven or an oven.

-Shaman: Crossing the road is a way to reconnect with the healing, visionary lifeways of the past. Chickens have long known this, but increasingly the Rooster's Movement is adding more roosters to the crossings too.

-Snert: Hey, are you guys really chickens? Can you give me a spell that will make a chicken cross the road?

-Wiccan: The chicken crossed the road because she felt like she was finally coming home. She could do it alone or with others, but she -had to call to the Guardians of the Watchtowers of the Barnyard first ...

-uhm, after casting the circle.

How Some Pagan Authors Might Respond:

-Margot Adler: The recent chicken resurgence, it can be argued, is directly based on a response to the suburban middle class experience. While I found that chickens-who-cross-roads who responded to my survey are of a wide range of ages and backgrounds, I discovered some trends in the why of crossing the road. For some it is freedom. For some it is chickenism. Many chickens told me they crossed the road for intellectual satisfaction. One thing is clear: the growth of road crossing by chickens is expanding in the numbers of chickens and in the ways they cross the road, including at chicken festivals and for political blocking of roads.

-Isaac Bonewits: Real crossing-the-road, we have seen, is a very interwoven and complicated subject. Our conclusion could be that real crossing-the-road is the build up of chicken emotion in conjunction with chicken concepts to vary the modulation of chicken energy so as to effect the modulation of the road's energy. That's all Perhaps it is unfortunate, though, to use the word chicken in relation to it, since the word is being used now in a way it was never used before in the English language and is an utterly meaningless term without a qualifying adjective.

And this, of course, is the fault of the medieval Christian Church, through the Gothic Chickens it invented and used as the basis of persecuting men, women and chickens. The word chicken itself comes from an Indo-European root, cheeka/e meaning one who lays eggs, and it has no relation to the later Anglo-Saxon word for wise spirit of flight, as so often stated by certain contemporary Chics. An'Chk'Rrhod (Our Own Chickens on Our Own Roads), an authentic Neo-Chicken Rooster tradition, offers the best of paleo-, meso- and neo- Chickenism ...

again: we KNOW that Isaac can practice magic: He has a BA diploma for the University of California, in Thaumaturgy, no less--signed by Ronald Reagan

-Carlos Castenada: 4/10/1964 I spent 14 hours, without food or water, sitting on the dirt and under the sun in front of Don Juan's house, grinding chicken feed. I asked Don Juan if I could have a drink of water, and he told me that it was always this way, that a man who wanted to cross the road with the chicken cannot have any food or water till the chicken feed is ground. I asked Don Juan if the chicken is an ally, like the little smoke. Don Juan seemed to get angry and stayed silent. After I completed grinding the corn, I hallucinated from heat exhaustion, and Don Juan said I was ready. As I collapsed to my side, I spilled the chicken feed around me. A chicken appeared to be eating the feed around me, and I became strangely absorbed in the vision. I heard Don Juan's voice tell me, You must let the chicken cross the road into you. It is very painful, but for a man of knowledge it is easy.

-Scott Cunningham: A chicken passes between the grasses, clucking. The wind blows, and the chicken knows, knows, that this is the time. She puts her energy into taking the steps, in harmony with the gravel and the stones of the road. She is across - it is over, and the chicken stands in the field on the other side of the road. ... Natural chicken crossing -is unique among most other branches of the art of chicken road crossing.

It doesn't require years of collecting or fashioning coops, feeders or hen houses. Indeed, the most important tools of natural chicken crossing are free: the road, the chicken and you, your personal chicken power.

-You're already familiar with it. You've felt it. You are a chicken. Crossing the road is you, with your chicken need. And, you can do it on your own.

-After all, who initiated the first chicken?

-Janet and Stewart Farrar: Since so many editions of Gardner's Chicken Book of Crossings have appeared in print (some accurate, some not), we think it won't lay an egg too much if we clearly present The Chicken Crossing Rite, especially if we do so after two and half pages of well researched introduction set in six-point type. In version A of the Chicken Crossing Rite, we find many pseudo-archaisms (e.g., Yea, Ye Anciente Rite of Ye Chiks and Ye Rodes is a moste powerful Crafting, taking thy athame ...) however, Doreen Valiente notes (in version C, which is -what we present), and we agree, that underlying it all is a basic ritual for summoning the astral road through the spirit of the Chicken (drawn down in the person of the High Priestess, holding the black handled feed bin of course, a second degree may assist or perform the rite when....

-Llewellyn's Practical Chicken Magick Series: To some people, the idea that chickens crossing the road is practical comes as a surprise. It shouldn't. The whole idea of Crossing the Road is practical for chickens.

-While Crossing the Road is also, and properly so, concerned with spiritual growth and psychological transformation -- the why of crossing the road-- every chicken's life must rest firmly on material roads. Crossing the Road is the flowering of chicken potential. And the profits from publishing all those books on how to do so? Well, that ain't chicken feed...

-Starhawk: The chicken crossed the road to reclaim the crossing experience, the experience of being fully alive, with streams and earth and rocks and road, in the fullness of her chickenhood after thousand of years of roosterarchy. The chicken crossing the road --not a chicken laying eggs, not a chicken being roasted and eaten-- a chicken strong and free, crossing the road, this is something I can believe in. We chickens, as chickens, can reclaim this in harmony with the Earth who gives life to all chickens and Who has been terribly scratched by roosters.

-Exercises:

-Dance the Spiral Chicken.

-Doreen Valiente: Old Chicken really did exist, and she really did cross the road. Gerald talked about her often, but she didn't cross the road till before I began studying with Gerald. Still, there are records of Old Chicken which confirm her reality. As for all the comments that Gerald had a thing for chickens, that is simply not true. The reason we worked with chickens is really quite simple: it worked -

-Silver Raven Wolf: Although many times people have asked me why exactly the chicken crossed the road, I often wonder myself. My point is that every chicken comes to the road in a different way, and there is no one correct way for the chicken to get to the road to be crossed. The study of crossing the road is hard work if the chicken is going to develop any degree of proficiency. It is not something where you can just cluck yourself across the road. The first time my chicken crossed the road was for my chicken's friend, whose rooster was being abusive. The chicken worked the steps for crossing the road after carefully considering all the reasons for crossing the road and all the steps she would have to take. Finally, my chicken just started clucking and flapping her wings and started across the road. When she reached the other side, her friend's rooster was respectful. Afterwards, the chicken ate some corn to ground herself.

-----

Sources:

http://www.katinkahesselink.net/arch/gb3.htm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:09 am
User Image

Game Room

Word Searches
I suggest that you save the puzzle to your computer and then open them in paint (or some other program like that) and mark where the words are.

Once you've found as many words as possible, send me your completed word search. You will receive 1,000 gaia gold for each completed puzzle you turn in (25 gold will be taken away for each word not found).

User Image

User Image

The Rules
- Be sure to title the PM "Newspaper Games", and send them to Blessed_Scribe please.
- You cannot post your answers for others to see or share them with any other member anywhere or at anytime. Doing so will forfeit your prize.
- No cheating, don't ask others where the answers are .
- We will only accept the answers to these puzzles during the month of October 2009.
- Have fun!

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:30 am
User Image

This is the spot where you can advertise just about anything you want.

Want to advertise your quest? Do you want to advertise something you're trying to sell? Or maybe you're looking for a mentor.

Whatever it may be, this is the place to do it!

It's completely free. All you have to do is send a PM to me, Blessed_Scribe, with your ad and which months issue you'd like it to be in. It can be as many months as you'd like, not just one.

-----

Blessed_Scribe
We are in need of writers for the following sections:
Animal Totems, Astral Projection, Author of the Month, Book Review, Divination, Meditation, Pagan Art and Pagan Music

If you're interested, please head on over to this thread to pick up the application. Once you've filled it out, please send it to Blessed_Scribe.

It's a paying job (Gaia gold only), so it's well worth it! biggrin

The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games