Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Tarot? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nines19

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:48 pm
This is a topic/question(s) that's been brewing in the back of my mind for a while now. I was brought back to the thought of it today by my friend returning a deck of cards to me that I'd almost forgot I'd lent her.

I was wondering if the "standard deck" of Tarot cards is the only common deck? Are there any unusual decks with interesting cards you've come across or heard of? What are some opinions on making your own sets and/or coming up with your own card designs?

(The idea of "alternate" or different cards than are "standard" has appealed to me ever since I finished Stephen King's The Gunslinger. I'm not entirely certain as to why.)  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:20 pm
What do you mean by standard? The Rider-Waite deck is usually what comes to mind, and just about all tarot decks follow that format of suits and arcanas, though the art varies widely. Decks with different suits and such are usually sold as Oracle decks or something of the sort, without the T-word attached.

My go-to deck for general inquiries is the Victoria Regina by Sarah Ovenall and Georg Patterson, because it's very good at being blunt and telling me exactly what I need to hear. I'm looking for another, more gentle deck for different kinds of questions, and I'm thinking about going for a non-standard deck since I want it for non-standard purposes.

I love the idea of making one's own deck. As a witch, I love to personalize or make my tools whenever I can, because I think when you alter or make something you influence more than its physical nature. A deck that's made to answer your questions, if you make it well and willfully, will "try harder" or be more "powerful" than a store-bought deck, even if just because it means more to you.

edit: link added  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:48 pm
I recently won a Mage: The Awakening deck.
It's nicer than the Robin Wood.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:30 pm
I just saw this one and decided that I must have it.  

FlySammyJ

Liberal Dabbler

dittolovebug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:59 am
I've ordered a few decks from this place http://www.buytarotcards.net/.

I prefer my Rider-Waite deck though which is was my first Tarot set.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:18 am
I don't like my Rider-Waite deck. It doesn't fit in my hands well. I"m using it as a started deck as the books I'm using as refrence use that deck. I hope to make my own or at least find a deck that suites me better.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

dittolovebug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:27 am
I used to use this deck Pocket Rider-Waite the cards are only 2 1/4 by 3 1/2 inches which fits smaller hands it's the same one I am using to teach my son who is only 4 (tiny hands).  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:30 am
Hmm, I may have to look into that. I really do need a generaly smaller deck. Mine hurts my hands to shuffel crying  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:41 pm
Tarot originated as a game, correct? If so, where could one find instructions on how to play?  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:10 pm
I have a Revelations Deck that I use every now and then, And a deck of plain playing cards that I use regularly.

Namikikyo

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:25 pm
I have small hands - gorgeous hands, but small nonetheless. I use a Medieval Scapini deck that is just a tad larger than regular playing cards.

I refer to the book pretty regularly, but I'm starting to not need it so much. They're "awake" so to speak, and pretty vocal.

I see a lot of decks, one which I thought was interesting replaced the Major Arcana with figures from Russian folklore.

I would be more inclined to make my own deck if I had the artistic ability. As it stands, I would end up with glorified stick figures. xp As far as my own mind and tradition is concerned, there wouldn't be any difference between a deck you buy and a deck you make - it's all paper and ink and whatever else until it's "woken up" anyhow.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:07 pm
Aino Ailill
Tarot originated as a game, correct? If so, where could one find instructions on how to play?

Tarot is a divination tool not a 'toy' despite the use of simple playing cards at times instead of one of the more elaborate decks.

To Learn how to use a Tarot deck and and the picture meanings within can be done with many books out there (you can usually find a deck that has it's own book) but as I mentioned above it isn't a toy and if used as such will not work properly you would at best get confused results and or simply a neat party trick to play on your friends.

Tarot takes time and patience and an open mind in order to use the standard interpretations in the book and your own "intuition" to elaborate on the cards arranged before you. Otherwise you'll be telling your best friend "She'll be running off with a dark haired man tomorrow and swimming in tomato soup that weekend."  

dittolovebug

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:14 pm
dittolovebug
Aino Ailill

Tarot is a divination tool not a 'toy' despite the use of simple playing cards at times instead of one of the more elaborate decks.

Actually, tarot cards did originate as playing cards (toys!). It wasn't uncommon in the Renaissance to use playing cards for divination.

That said, Aino, I don't know what game/s they played with them.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:18 pm
dittolovebug
Aino Ailill

It can't be both?  

Nines19

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:50 pm
Nines19
dittolovebug
Aino Ailill

It can't be both?

Considering that you can use a plain deck of 52 playing cards for both Divination and Go-fish. I think so.

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff