*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
What color was Jesus? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Submit

Big_Wave_Legacy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:50 am
Well, I was in a debate with a friend, and well Ive always thought he was white? Any scriptures?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:04 pm
There aren't any Scriptures that describe details of Jesus' physical appearance. We don't know his height, weight, hair color, eye color, skin color, or anything like that. We do know that he was of Middle Eastern Jewish descent, so he probably just had typical features for that ethnicity. We also know that he wasn't particularly attractive: "He had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him." - Isaiah 53, a prophecy about Christ.

The Bible never goes into detail about his appearance because it isn't really important; what is important is who he was and what he did.

So the common image of him that appears in Western society today, with light hair and white skin, is probably inaccurate. But there's nothing terribly wrong with that; people in any culture tend to imagine him appearing like themselves. As long as we understand that it's only a portrayal, and that appearance isn't what's important.  

Crimson Raccoon

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:53 am
I think the Bible does give a description of what Jesus looked like. You just don't know where to look Crimson. Looking at where he lived, chances are he didn't have white skin. His skin would be a more olive color or a tan color. He would be more Middle Eastern, because Jerusalem was located in a desert. It's quite impossible to have a pale white man living in the desert without getting a tan. Try living in Yuma or even Death Valley. You would tan within a few days of being out in the sun.

The image we see in paintings and what not, was the image the Church wanted to convey. If the image of a Middle Eastern man were to appear in paintings, people would have a fit.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:01 am
-xXLady RaiXx- Wrote:
I think the Bible does give a description of what Jesus looked like. You just don't know where to look Crimson. Looking at where he lived, chances are he didn't have white skin. His skin would be a more olive color or a tan color. He would be more Middle Eastern, because Jerusalem was located in a desert. It's quite impossible to have a pale white man living in the desert without getting a tan. Try living in Yuma or even Death Valley. You would tan within a few days of being out in the sun.

The image we see in paintings and what not, was the image the Church wanted to convey. If the image of a Middle Eastern man were to appear in paintings, people would have a fit.

As usual, -xXLady RaiXx-, you respond to me without even reading what I wrote. Most of what you just said is a repeat of what I already said in my post. So you've really not brought up anything new, but you thought you were arguing with me. I guess you only read the first sentence or two of my post before deciding to reply. If you had just managed to get to the third sentence, you would have read, "We do know that he was of Middle Eastern Jewish descent, so he probably just had typical features for that ethnicity." But I guess anything more I write here now is pointless: you've already given up reading this I'm sure. But in case anyone else can muster up the stamina to read two paragraphs, I'll continue. =P

The Bible does tell us the location in which he lived, but that doesn't count as a "description of what he looked like." It's one fact about him, from which we can make broad assumptions about what his appearance might have been like. That's not a description; and besides, all I said was that "there aren't any Scriptures that describe details." Also, your claim that people would have a fit if the image of a Middle Eastern man was used for Jesus, is totally baseless and ridiculous. The appearance of Jesus has never been a doctrine of any mainstream denomination. Most people don't really care about his appearance anyway. A play at my college had the part of Jesus played by a black guy. Nobody cared. As I said in my last post, it's never been what is important.  

Crimson Raccoon

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:34 am
Maybe if you kept your posts short simple and to the point, I wouldn't feel the need to skim it for important info.

And how is Jesus being Middle Eastern baseless? Where the hell do you think Israel is located? Is it Africa? Umm I dun think so. smilies/icon_neutral.gif  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:42 am
-xXLady RaiXx- Wrote:
Maybe if you kept your posts short simple and to the point, I wouldn't feel the need to skim it for important info.

And how is Jesus being Middle Eastern baseless? Where the hell do you think Israel is located? Is it Africa? Umm I dun think so. smilies/icon_neutral.gif

haha. you're still arguing against things I never said. I was actually the first one here to say Jesus was Middle Eastern. I never said it was baseless.

My posts are written to answer the questions of those who ask them, not to cater to a short attention span.

If you don't want to read my posts, then don't. But it would be a good idea to read them if you want to argue with them, otherwise you'll continue to embarrass yourself.  

Crimson Raccoon

divineseraph

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:54 pm
-xXLady RaiXx- Wrote:

Seriously, terrible first argument. It's HIS fault that he made a detailed post that you skipped over haphazardly?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:25 am
divineseraph Wrote:
-xXLady RaiXx- Wrote:

Seriously, terrible first argument. It's HIS fault that he made a detailed post that you skipped over haphazardly?
Don't you have anything constructive to say? smilies/icon_neutral.gif  

Neferet -House of Night-

divineseraph

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:12 am
-xXLady RaiXx- Wrote:
divineseraph Wrote:
-xXLady RaiXx- Wrote:

Teaching you to be less bad at debating is constructive, to you at least.

But I notice that you just brushed off the fact that you failed to understand his argument and logically made it HIS fault. That's not good.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:51 am
divineseraph Wrote:
-xXLady RaiXx- Wrote:
divineseraph Wrote:
-xXLady RaiXx- Wrote:

Teaching you to be less bad at debating is constructive, to you at least.

But I notice that you just brushed off the fact that you failed to understand his argument and logically made it HIS fault. That's not good.
Really? Because it looks to me that a) you're a bad teacher or b) 95.6% of the time I come here to debate, I'm typically tired, and can't read long posts. It's sometimes better to read shorter posts that way I don't get overwhelmed.  

Neferet -House of Night-

Xahmen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:04 am

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:01 am
how long have jews been considered white? for the last 50-60 years

how long have those of "middle eastern" decent been considered white? this is rather new...less about 10 years.

I was supprised to see the "middle eastern" ethnisity checkbox dissapear from standard forms

I can't remember what I was going to say
I guess it really shouldn't be anything at 3 in the morning  

lordstar

ferret658

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:55 am
I'm going to agree with what Crimson Raccoon said in his first post.

There are no scriptures that give a detailed description of what Jesus looked like other than implying that he probably wasn't the prettiest Messiah the world has ever known...

I'd also like to clarify that the skin color of people from Middle Eastern descent hasn't changed much over the last 1,976 years. If you take a look at what Middle Easterners look like, you have a basic concept of what Jesus resembled.

On a joking matter, I think the real question to be asked here is whether or not Adam and Eve were that dark, did they have belly buttons, and is God himself that dark?

Once again reiterating, the paragraph above is a joke.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:30 pm
Jesus was white.  

Xahmen

Kupo-Sama

Welcoming Lunatic

7,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:17 pm
Does it even matter? He died for the sins of humanity so whether he has white, black, brown, tan or purple, he did an incredible thing.

Give it a rest.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games