Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!
May 2009 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:47 am
User Image

I'd like to thank all of our editors and writers for all of their hardwork! We're currently looking for some new writiers. To apply, please read this thread first.

New to the May issue:
- Art Spotlight
- Author Spotlight
- Current Affairs

To leave feedback, please go to this thread.

Table Contents
- Introduction (you are here)
- Guild Happenings
- Members Section
- Abilities
- Art Spotlight
- Author Spotlight
- Beltane
- Book Review
- Current Affairs
- The Elements
- Gods and Goddesses
- Herb Garden
- Kitchen Witches
- Pagan Humor
- Pagan Music
- Samhain
- Spells
- Game Room
- Classified Ads  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:05 pm
User Image

During the month of April 2009 we celebrated our guild's three year anniversary. The Party Scrapbook is now up with a list of all the winners.

In the end, we ended up giving away 205,530 in gaia gold and prizes! mrgreen

-----

Right now we're celebrating Beltane/Samhain. I hope to see you all there!

-----

We also added three new crew members at the beginning of April: Shearaha, Phoeona, and Mika Lockheart.  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:07 pm
User Image

Please welcome our new members! biggrin

NitefireWolf, x badabing, crowess96, Dark Angel Rai, Setsugai, Ghey Guy, shadowhunterkurohyou, Brit_Hiwatari, Schpanks, Somberaiser, hybrid demon27, The_Pheonixxx1231, a_witches_past, Crimson Eyed Scholar, Lady(Rayne), Extravagantly Yours

Please wish the following people a very happy birthday!
May 3rd - - Sylvanius
May 6th - - wizardly_warlock
May 9th - - Aurellion and riverflow692
May 10th - - Twilit Nocturne and amayayumi
May 12th - - casper2004
May 18th - - Prince of Aces
May 19th - - Ffion87
May 21st - - LifelessSong
May 24th - - llama_chic_452, and lilunseen13
May 27th - - azrielsangel and Bunny_Death_Hunter_Wiccan
May 29th - - aceschatname3
May 30th - - NiennaSayyadina

User Image

Congratulations to KillerQueen Bash!

User Image

Blessed_Scribe: What was your experience in discovering Paganism? What motivated you to look into it?
KillerQueen Bash: I took a beliefnet quiz about religion one day. I was raised Roman Catholic, and I figured I must be an atheist because I didn't believe in the Christian God. I knew there was some divine presence, but not the god of Christianity. My top result was Neo-Pagan, and I was immediately caught up in Wicca.

Blessed_Scribe: How would you describe your Path?
KillerQueen Bash: I describe myself as an Eclectic Wiccan/Neo-Wiccan in the Pagan community, but among the general population I call myself a Wiccan. I believe in the God and Goddess, I follow the Wiccan Rede, the Threefold Law of Return, I celebrate the Sabbats and Esbats, and I believe that magick is very useful and appropriate within any path. I am in a Christian household at this point in time, so I have been yet unable to practice magick. I pray and honor the God and Goddess in ritual circle as often as I can.

Blessed_Scribe: How do you feel the guild has helped you on your Path?
KillerQueen Bash: This guild has helped me so much on my spiritual journey. I have a sense of community within this guild that I crave for. Even as a solitary, I feel that Sabbats should be celebrated with other Pagans if available. I have furthered my knowledge and spiritual intelligence through this guild.

Blessed_Scribe: What Pagan author really inspired you early on in your Path? How so?
KillerQueen Bash: Scott Cunningham has inspired me the most. Many books I read early on were impersonal and in general terms. Cunningham gave more personal light on a very personal subject.

Blessed_Scribe: What is your favorite tool and why? Do you make most of your tools or purchase them?
KillerQueen Bash: All of my tools are found, made, or things I already had. If I use candles, I use little candle stubs or birthday candles. I usually use natural materials. I had a wooden athame that I really liked, but I accidentally set it on fire. I cannot purchase things, and they have to be things that a Christian wouldn't find incriminating to pagan activities.

Blessed_Scribe: What do you feel is the purpose of ritual?
KillerQueen Bash: The purpose of ritual is to attune to the earth, became closer to the God and Goddess, do magick, on some occasions, and to reach a more divine state of mind.

Blessed_Scribe: What are some Pagan-related websites that you visit or that you have found useful?
KillerQueen Bash: Too many to count! I'm unable to store pagan-related websites on my favorites, but here is my Backflip folder on Wicca primers. Being in a Christian household, it can be very difficult to browse Pagan websites, but I highly suggest about.com for newsletters on Wicca and Pagan religions.

Blessed_Scribe: What does this time of year mean to you? What are some ways you celebrate the season?
KillerQueen Bash: This time of the year is a time of growth and rebirth. I celebrate my birthday and take joy in watching things grow and develop. I plant flowers. On Beltane, I hang beaded flower garlands, made with freshly cut flowers.

Blessed_Scribe: Do you believe in astrology? Why or why not?
KillerQueen Bash: Not really. I believe that what house the moon is in and such affects us, as well as how the planets are aligned, but I don't believe in horoscopes very much. When you were born has no effect on you today, except for when you celebrate your birthday and how old you are.

-----

Member's Art
This month we have some photographs from loveblackbutterflies!
User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

If you'd like to have your art featured here, just PM Blessed_Scribe. You'll get gold for anything that you submit.
(Art is defined as poetry, short stories, excerpts from a novel, photography, sculptures, graphic design, painting, drawings, collages, etc).  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:08 pm
User Image

Abilities - Pyrokinesis
Written by Fairy Fox

Pyrokinesis is the ability to ignite and control, or manipulate fire with the powers of one's own mind. This is a VERY advanced skill, and can be dangerous to you and others if you do not know how to control it. So you need to practice. This is a skill that most people could learn how to do, but, it takes years of training and dedication.

Pyrokinesis is not accepted as a paranormal phenomenon. Although fiction is filled with numerous examples in movies, books, and TV. These include episodes from television series' like The X-Files, Beyond Reality, One Step Beyond, Firestarter, Charmed, etc. It is Stephen King, however, that first named the idea "pyrokinesis", this name didn't occur until Firestarter came about.

Parapsychologists explain pyrokinetic powers as being the ability to excite an object's atoms, increasing their thermal energy until they ignite. They say that this is "vaguely possible", but characterize it as "generally the stuff of comic books", such as Marvel Comics' Human Torch and Pyro. They claim that without some form of help from outside forces, that it is "scientifically impossible" to be able to start fires. But, some scientists aren't exactly known for believing in psychic phenomenon.

--------------------

Sources:
Pyrokinesis
Pyrokinesis 2  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:09 pm
User Image

Art Spotlight: Wicca by SelinaFenech
Written by KillerQueen Bash

User Image

This beautiful work of art was created by SelinaFenech, whose DeviantArt can be found here. It illustrates symbols of Wicca, including the God, the Goddess, the sun, the moon, and the pentacle. I find that the sheer earthiness of it embodies the spirit of Wicca and all paganism.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:11 pm
User Image

Author Spotlight: Scott Cunningham
Written by KillerQueen Bash

User Image

Background
Scott Cunningham was born June 27, 1956 in Michigan. In high school, he became interested in Wicca. Cunningham then joined an Eclectic Wicca coven. Most of the information Cunningham draws from comes from his experience in the group led by Raven Grimassi, an author. In 1983, he was diagnosed with lymphoma. At age thirty-six, Cunningham passed away. Before his death in 1993, he had written many books, the first of which was published in 1982, and the last of which was published in 1999. Most of his life was spent in San Diego.

Some Cunningham Titles
Magical Herbalism: Secret of the Wise (1982)
Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic (1983)
Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (1985)
The Magical Household, with David Harrington (1987)
Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem and Metal Magic (1987)
The Truth About Witchcraft Today (198 cool
Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner (198 cool
Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews (1989)
Magical Aromatherapy: The Power of Scent (1989)
Earth, Air, Fire, Water: More Techniques of Natural Magic (1991)
Encylopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen (1993)
Divination for Beginners (1993)
Living Wicca: A Further Guide for Solitary Pracitioners (1993)
Spell Crafts: Creating Magical Objects (1993)
The Truth About Herb Magic (1993)
Hawaiian Magic and Spirituality (1995)
Dreaming the Divine: Techniques for Sacred Sleep (1999)

Note: Some of his books, obviously, were published after his death.  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:12 pm
User Image

Sabbats - Beltane: May 1 (Northern Hemisphere)
Written by dark_angel_3289

Beltane is most commonly known as May Day to non-pagans. Other names for Beltane include Roodmas, Bealtaine, Whitsun or Old Bhealltainn, Bealtinne, Samhradh and La Baal Tinne, Rudemas, Walburga, Walpurgisnacht, Walpurgis Eve, Celtic Summer, Giamonios, Tana's Day - La Giornata di Tana , Floralia, The Great Rite, Cetshamain, and May Eve.

Beltane is one of the Greater Sabbats and is a fertility festival. It is the time that the Goddess and the God come together to conceive. It is a great time for weddings or to renew your vows. The most common ritual performed on Beltane is what's known as The Great Rite, the sacred union between a man and woman. It's also the perfect time to start new gardens.

"Beltane is the time of year when we celebrate new life, fertility and the earth's ripe abundance in all its forms. It is a time of pure joy, bliss, and playfulness" (link).

Traditional activities of Beltane include, but are not limited to, blowing horns, gathering flowers, creating and dancing around the May Pole, decorating your homes and yourselves with fresh flower garlands, stringing up greenery around your homes and places of work, sending flowers to loved ones, planting new gardens, cleaning out the cupboards and general spring cleaning, plaiting and weaving straw, creating things with wicker, and making baskets and fabrics.

Symbols of Beltane include the May pole, crossroads, eggs, butterchurns and chalices. Flowers that are representative of Beltane include roses, bluebells, marigolds, daisies, primroses, violets and lilac. Colors that are associated with Beltane are white, red, and dark green. Stones that represent Beltane are sapphires, bloodstones, emeralds, orange carnelians, and rose quartz.

------

Sources:
Beltane
Beltane2
Beltane3
Beltane4

-----------------------------

Fairy Kisses (cookies)
(Makes about 3 dozen)

Ingredients:
3 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
6 Tablespoons flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 F.

Beat the egg whites into soft mounds, then gradually add the sugar and
continue beating til stiff peaks form. Add the coconut, flour, vanilla and
salt; fold these in til well blended.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes (don’t let them brown) Leave them on the cookie sheet to cool.

-----

Altar Maypole Centerpiece

Materials needed:
A 1" thick dowel rod, about a foot long
A wooden circle, about 4" in diameter
Pieces of ribbon in various colors, about 2 feet long each
A hot glue gun

Directions:
Use the hot glue gun to attach the dowel rod to the center of the wooden circle. Once the glue has dried, you can stain or paint the wood if you choose. Attach the center of each ribbon to the top of the dowel rod, as shown in Figure 1.

Use the Maypole as a centerpiece on your altar. You can braid the ribbons as a meditation tool, or include it in ritual. Optional: add a small floral crown around the bottom to represent the feminine fertility of the Sabbat, as shown in the photo.

Finished Maypole.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:13 pm
User Image

Book Review - The Witches’ God: Lord of the Dance
Written by too2sweet

User Image

TITLE: The Witches’ God: Lord of the Dance
AUTHOR: Janet and Stewart Farrar
PAGES: 278 pages
YEAR PUBLISHED: 1989

SYNOPSIS (from amazon.com): Exploring the Masculine Principle of Divinity, this companion volume to The Witches’ Goddess re-establishes the ancient balance between God and Goddess. Part I covers the many concepts of the God examined, including: His faces throughout history; the Son/Lover God; the Vegetation God; the War God; the Anti-God; and more. Part II give a close look at 12 individual Gods of history with an appropriate invoking ritual for each. Part III presents a comprehensive dictionary of over 1000 Gods from many cultures, past and present. The Farrars are among the best-known authors on the “Craft”, and in The Witches’ God have written what is likely to become the standard work on the masculine god aspect. Over 30,000 sold!

REVIEW: With so much talk about Wicca having specific Gods (the Lord and Lady of the Isles) I was a little thrown off by this book and its soft polytheist approach, however on the whole it is an excellent resource for learning more about the Gods and their different aspects. It takes each aspect one by one, and explains it and helps to put it into historical context. The reference list in Part III is nothing short of amazing - pretty much a list of every God you could ever have an interest in (and many that you have likely never heard of before). The only real issue that I have with the book has to do with Part II. While I appreciate the getting to know more about the specific Gods that are listed, it worries me that the books encourages the reader to try to invoke said deities. There really wasn’t any in depth discussion in the book about invoking, and even in the best of circumstances (like when you have a deep understanding of the God you are invoking) - invoking can have a profound effect on one’s life. Trying to do so when you aren’t really all that familiar with the God in question, can lead to some very interesting (and possibly unpleasant) consequences. For example, one of the Gods discussed in the book is Loki. Now anyone who knows anything about Loki, knows that randomly invoking this God is probably not a good idea. However according to the book that’s just what we should do. On the whole I like Loki, but he’s probably not someone I’d invite into my life without some very careful consideration and at least a basic understanding of his mysteries. In fact, I’d have to say that would go for any deity I was trying to invoke. Overall though, an excellent reference for anyone trying to learn more about the Gods and their different aspects. Definitely one of those books (along with its companion book The Witches’ Goddess: The Feminine Principle of Divinity) that everyone should keep a copy of in their library.

ABOUT THE AUTHORS: Janet and Stewart Farrar were initiates of the Alexandrian Tradition, they have co-authored several excellent books that describe the outer-court Wiccan practices (many of which are required reading for BTW seekers).

Stewart Farrar
Janet Farrar
Teampall Na Callaighe  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:14 pm
User Image

Current Affairs
Written by doistu

As we recently celebrated our Guild’s 3 year anniversary it became clear that a lot of love and hard work had been poured into making it a good time for everyone. The wonderful preparations and consequent good fun really showed how community driven and supportive the guild is. It would make anyone proud to be a part of it!

This show of care and mutual support, in my experience, is not found only within the guild but also in other pagan sites I frequent and across the pagan community. It can be said that without exception, doubt or hesitation we, as pagans, can band together as and when we need to. I see no end to blessing/healing forums that give people a space to ask for help without fearing judgement or prejudice. They also allow those who want to help people a place to do so if they are unable to help in other ways. We have our very own Blessing Tree where problems can be shared and halved. The selflessness of people can really shine through here as they give up their own personal issues in order to resolve the hurts of another human being.

I’ve known no other path, spiritual or otherwise, that teaches true tolerance and compassion for others. Some may argue that paganism doesn’t teach this and that other paths do but I’ve yet to come across them. Though disagreements have occurred, they have occurred with respect for a difference of opinion and separate ways have been taken without any grudges being held or hard feelings felt. Personally, I’ve never been in need and not received genuine and heart-felt help from my fellow pagan. I’m sure many can say the same.

Paganism is the most diverse and accepting path I’ve ever known. If life is like a box of chocolates the look at the assortment in ours! We’ve got it all from Wiccan to Witch and Neo to Norse. All of these paths hold a variety of values but we respect each in its own right. It is this that leads us to love each other as we are and for each individual’s merits.

The bottom line? Support and respect is all around you, whether you need help writing an essay or dealing with an angry parent. From the magical to the mundane, no problem is too big (or small).  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:16 pm
User Image

The Elements - Attuning to Fire
Written by Starlock

The next few articles are designed to help you attune to the various elements through personal exercises. There are many 'parts' to each of these exercises that can be done as stand-alone activities so feel free to switch things around a bit and see what experience works best for you.

See the previous newspaper for the Air attunement.

Materials
Source of flame. A large fire works best, but a candle is fine too.
Flammable objects and flameproof container. You will be burning these, so stick to paper if you're not familiar with how something will combust.
Ceremonial tool. This tool should be one you associate with Fire. I like to use an athame; others might prefer the wand.

Methods
Find a location suitable for this exercise; a relatively quiet location where you can focus and not be interrupted. Always consider your safety when working with fire and keep water close by. If you are using candles, I suggest having one taper candle and surrounding yourself carefully with several tea lights for a fuller immersion. Yes, Starlock is telling you to play with fire, but SAFETY FIRST!
Spend a few moments relaxing, grounding, and centering. Get your fire going or light your candles, then make a statement of your intent such as the following:

Quote:
Blaze in me, 'o' Spirit of Fire,
As I learn to know thy essence.
Shine upon me, help me aspire
To know thine radiant presence.

Quietly watch the blaze, observing the leaping flames and the range of colors present. Feel too the radiant heat of the fire and recognize that a chemical reaction is taking place, producing heat and light. Meditatively focus on the sensations you feel from the fire: the light, the colors, the heat.
Play with the fire. We're going to watch how fire transforms things through burning. If sitting before a bonfire, simply toss the object into the flames and watch it burn. If using candles, be very careful igniting the object and place it in your fireproof container to watch it.
Use the fire to cleanse yourself. Allow either the sense of light or the warmth you receive from the flames cleanse your aura and note the sensations that arise when you do this. After using this method, try passing your ceremonial tool close to the body to cleanse in a similar manner from head to toe. This process might feel different; if so, how is it different?
Bring the essence of Fire within. Focus on the warmth and light of the flames. Feel its presence around you, and with your hands raised towards the flames, draw the fiery energy within. Feel the warmth flowing into your hands, through your arms, penetrating your entire body. Be aware of your own body's warmth generated from its own chemical reactions. Visualize the flames growing so you are surrounded in a ring of flame. Draw them inward, let them set you alight; covering your body. Let Fire's separating and determining nature speak to you; let it take you on a journey.

Continue for as long as you want but eventually return your awareness to the present moment. Spend a few moments grounding and centering; blow out your candles; if you used a bonfire don't leave it unattended and wait for it to burn down. Give thanks to the Spirit of Fire with some closing words such as the following:

Quote:
Blessed be, 'o' Spirit of Fire
For helping me learn thy essence.
Empower me, for I have aspired
To know thine radiant presence.

Extra Methods
Following are some other little practices you can do on an everyday or moment to moment basis to help you get to know Fire.
Sunbathe next time you're outside.
Don't use the AC when it's hot outside and instead experience the heat and how it effects your body.
Energy sleuth! We tend to take for granted where our energy comes from, so pay attention to those and how much of what we use on a daily basis relies on electricity and such.
Shadows, being created by light sources, are fun to get to know as well.

---------------

PRINCIPLE SOURCES:
*** The incantations are highly modified versions of part of a poem found in Circle Magazine Issue 70 by Raymond T. Anderson of Champaign, IL. I just wanted to credit this guy again. =)
It's somewhat hard for me to pinpoint sources for this article; much of this is out of my own head, but there are some books that contain similar exercises that probably inspired me somewhere along the way and that you might find interesting:
*** Hawke, Elen. The Sacred Round: A Witch's Guide to Magical Practice.
*** Lipp, Deborah. The Way of the Four: Creating Elemental Balance in your Life.
*** Starhawk. The Earth Path: Grounding your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature.  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:17 pm
User Image

Gods & Goddesses: Ares and Athena
Written by bluedragon23

Athena
User Image

Athena is the Greek Goddess of strategic war and wisdom. Ares is the Greek God of blood lust and savage war. These two children of Zeus are ones you do not want to mess with.

Athena birth is quite extraordinary. She sprung for Zeus's forehead fully grown and dressed in armor. The story goes that he impregnated another Greek Goddess named Metis (the Goddess of the ocean and known for her wisdom), and upon learning she was pregnant, swallowed her so she would not give birth to a boy stronger than Zeus. Later on he began having extremely painful headaches and went to see the blacksmith, Hephaestus, who whacked Zeus in the head with an axe and out came Athena.

It is said by some that she is motherless and others claim Metis is her mother. She became Zeus's favorite and was given keys to his thunderbolts and was allowed to wear his aegis (shield). Athena is well known for her superb strategies, fairness in trial, and excellent craftsmanship. She only fought when her homeland was threatened or to help out a hero, and never lost a battle. She believed in peace rather than war. She was often called by the other gods and goddesses to help settle a dispute. She often made well thought out decisions that had nothing to do with her personal interest. Her most famous inventions are the chariot and horse-bit which allowed men to tame horses for the first time.

The story of why the Trojan War started is as follows; two of the Greek Gods got married and did not invite the Goddess of Discord, Eris. She crashed the wedding and set a golden apple on the table and said it belonged to the fairest Foddess. No one could decide who that was so Zeus decided to let Paris, the fairest mortal decide. Aphrodite offered him to have the most beautiful woman if he chose her, Hera offered power, and Athena offered wealth. Paris chose Aphrodite and as a part of their deal he got to take Helen. Then Helen's husband launched an attack on Troy. It is said that before anyone started fighting Athena came down from Olympus and made both sides take an oath of peace. However the oath was broken when Pandarus of Troy let loose his arrow. Out of anger Athena joined the other side. The Trojan Horse was also Athena's idea.

Ares
User Image
Note: The shorts aren't actually on the statue. They were edited in to censor the artistic nudity.

Ares is son of Zeus and Hera and disliked by his father. Hera had used an herb to get pregnant in order to get back at Zeus for giving birth to Dionysus by himself. He was also disliked by all gods and goddesses except the Goddess of Discord and his sister, Etis and Aphrodite, whom he committed adultery with. He and Aphrodite were caught in a net in a very sexual pose by her husband, Hephaestus. He then allowed all the gods and goddesses to come and see the pair, stuck in their position and unable to escape. This however did nothing to keep him from committing more adultery. Aphrodite managed to teach him how to accept the vulnerable parts of himself. He loved her so much that when Aphrodite became attracted to another man, Adonis, he turned himself into a boar and killed the poor fellow. He enjoys the bloodshed and slaughter of battle and is trained well, even though he is not a grand warrior. I'd like to think the God of War might be a darn good warrior, otherwise he wouldn't be the God of War

Two sons of Poseidon, Otus and Ephialtes, captured him and put him in a bronze jar. He was stuck in for a whole year and then Hermes came to his rescue. He was also injured in the battle of Troy by both Dimmedes, who Athena convinced to stab Ares in his side with a spear, and Athena, who threw a large rock on his head when he came charging towards her brandishing his sword. This god of blood lust did however care for his large group of children. When his daughter, Alcippe, was raped by one of Poseidon's sons, he killed him. And when one of his son's died at Troy he jumped into battle despite the fact that Zeus had said no. So this god is known for acting on his emotions rather than common sense.

----------

Sources:
Athena
Athena 2
Ares
Ares 2
Ares 3  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:27 pm
User Image

The Herb Garden - Nettles
Written by PiercedPixie2

User Image

Nettles have a bad reputation for stinging at the touch, but regardless of this fact, many people grow this herb for its medicinal uses. Most nettles are stinging nettles and before picking a wild nettle - you should get familiar with the species. If you do get stung by a nettle, the discomfort is temporary and can be cured by a Bay Leaf, they commonly grow near the nettle.

Nettles and nettle products are used in medicine and teas. Various products available are usually made from the leaves and stems, and sometimes the roots. It is available as dried leaf, freeze-dried leaf, extract, and capsules.

Nettle is easy to grow so long as the proper nutrients are available. Furthermore, they will always grow back in the same place as the year before. Wearing gloves is recommended when cutting the nettle plant for personal use. Dried or cooked nettles do not have the same stinging effect.

The medicinal use is peculiar, even though they are normally very painful to the touch. When they come into contact with an area with pain, they can actually decrease the original pain. Scientists believe the nettle does this by minimizing the levels of inflammatory chemicals in the body, and by interfering with the way the body transmits pain signals.

Some common ailments this plant treats are: painful muscles and joints, eczema, arthritis, gout, and anemia. Many people also use nettle to treat urinary problems during the early stages of an enlarged prostate (BPH), urinary tract infections, for hay fever, or in compresses or creams for treating joint pain, sprains and strains, and insect bits.

Planet: Mars
Element: Fire
Deity: Thor
Power: Protection, Healing, Lust, Exorcism

Necessary Precautions:
Many herbs can trigger side effects and can interact with other herbs, supplements, or medications. Because of this, herbs should be taken with care, under the supervision of a doctor.

Stinging nettle is considered safe when used as directed. Occasional side effects include: upset stomach, fluid retention, and hives or rash mainly from topical use. It is important to be careful when handling the nettle plant because touching it can cause an allergic rash. Stinging nettle should never be applied to an open wound.

Nettles alter the menstrual cycle and may contribute to miscarriage. Pregnant women should not use nettle.

---------------------

Sources:
Nettle Correspondences
Nettle Tea
101 Uses for Stinging Nettles by Piers Warren  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:28 pm
User Image

Kitchen Witches - Recipes Using Nettle
Provided by dark_angel_32189

Nettles Garlic Soup

Ingredients:
1 quart nettle tops, thoroughly washed
2 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 cups beef broth or consommé*
2 tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup of flour
Salt and pepper

Directions:
Place ingredients in a pot and cook on the stove top until nettles are tender. Remove from heat and strain or chop the nettles into a fine composition. Return mixture to the stove and bring to a boil, then simmer. While simmering, add 2 tablespoons butter and slowly add about 1/4 cup of flour, which must be stirred all the time or it can get lumpy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

*In cooking, a consommé is a type of clear soup made from richly flavored stock or bouillon that has been clarified usually through a fining process involving egg protein.

This recipe is from: Llewellyn's 2007 Herbal Almanac. Woodbury, MN: Llewllyn Worldwide, 2006. Page 30.

-----

Spring Tonic Nettle Soup

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 leeks, cut into rounds
1/2 pound nettle tops
1 quart filtered water
1 bouquet garni (little bundle of herbs tied with a string) containing any or all of these: a bay leaf, sprigs of thyme, parsley stems, and sage leaves
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup crème fraiche, sweet cream, or half and half, or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Nutmeg to taste

Directions:
1. Sauté leeks in butter or olive oil. Add water and bring to a boil.
2. Add nettles (Be careful not to touch them with your bare hands!), bay leaf and water.
3. Cover, bring to a boil, and simmer until the nettles are very soft.
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and the cream, crème fraiche or half and half.
5. Remove the bouquet garni from the soup, turn the heat to low, and puree using an immersion blender, adding a generous pinch of salt and a grind of pepper.
6. Take a ladleful of soup and stir it into the egg mixture.
7. Return the egg-nettle mixture to the soup and stir gently over very low heat (do not let it boil again).
8. Grate some fresh nutmeg into the soup, taste and add more salt as necessary to make it savory and delicious.

This recipe is from: Wise Food Ways  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:30 pm
User Image

Pagan Humor
Provided by SwirlingDark

Top Ten Cheesy Pick-Up Lines For Pagans

10. Hey babe, what's your sign? What's its ascendant? What is your planet alignment in Venus during Cancer's revolving around the Fourth House?

9. Read any good Llewellyn Books lately?

8. Would you like to come over to my place and widdershens?

7. Haven't I seen you someplace before in another life?

6. Yes, I'm handfasted, but that's not "technically" marriage.

5. So, do you draw down the moon here often?

4. What's a nymph Goddess like you doing in a place like this?

3. You have the prettiest third eye I've ever seen.

2. Your feet must be tired because you've been Spiral Dancing in my mind "all" night long.

And the Number One Cheesy Pick-Up Line for Pagans to Use at Gatherings is:

1. Is that a May Pole in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

---------------

God Created Cat

On the first day of Creation God created Cat.

On the second day, God created man to serve the Cat.

On the third day, God created all the animals of the earth (especially the Salmon) to serve as potential food for the Cat. (and the Cat said, it was GOOD).

On the Fourth day, God created honest toil so that man could labour for the good of the Cat.

On the fifth day, God created catnip so the Cat could do something else while his human was busy. And he also created malt, to help with fur balls.

On the Sixth day, God created veterinary science to keep the man from making too many human mistakes in caring for the Cat.

On the seventh day, God tried to rest, but He had to clean out the sandbox.

On the eighth day, God created the Dog, to give the Cat something to tease on the other seven days.

---------------

Sources:
Humor
Humor 2  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:32 pm
User Image

Pagan Music - Gary Stadler
Written by dark_angel_32189

Upon trying to find some Pagan music to talk about, I came across Gary Stadler.

Wikipedia
Gary Stadler is an American New Age pianist, composer, songwriter and producer, specializing in contemporary Celtic-influenced themes and atmospheres. Stadler's six albums generally focus on imaginative concepts loosely based in Celtic mythology, especially stories of the realm of Faerie. His music combines melodic elements of rare world instruments, mastery of synthesizer orchestrations and studio techniques. Three of his albums feature collaborations with female vocalists Singh Kaur, Stephannie and Wendy Rule.

I've listened to the few songs that he offers on his Myspace page. I must say that they are absolutely beautiful; and a great joy to listen to. My personal favorite from his selection on Myspace is the song called Fairy Night Songs.

Discography:
Solo instrumental albums
Fairy of the Woods (1996, Sequoia Records)
Reflections of Faerie (2004, Sequoia Records)
Faerie Lullabies (2006, Sequoia Records)

Album collaborations with vocalists
Fairy NightSongs with Singh Kaur (1998, Sequoia Records)
Fairy HeartMagic with Stephannie (2000, Sequoia Records)
Deep within a Faerie Forest with Wendy Rule (2005, Sequoia Records)

Compilations including recordings by Gary Stadler
Musical Healing (2001, Sequoia Records)
Mystic Celtic (2002, BSC Music GmbH)
Buddha-Lounge (2002, Sequoia Records)
Qi Gong (2003, BSC Music GmbH)
Celticum Mysticum (2004, Prudence Recordings)
Perfect Balance, Musical Healing Vol 2 (2005, Sequoia Records)
Celtic Lounge (2005, Sequoia Records)
Celtic Lounge II (2007, Sequoia Records)

Websites relating to Gary Stadler:
Gary Stadler on Wikipedia
Heart Magic
Gary Stadler on Myspace  
The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games