there is
  none
View Results

Xahmen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:13 pm
divineseraph
Zahwomen
divineseraph
In the beginning, there was but one singularity.

Yeah, if you're a Young Earth Creationist.
Or, you can listen to science and realize that "in the beginning" polytheism was the widely practiced form of religion.

Young Earth? I'm sorry, but doesn't the Big Bang theory state that before the universe there was a timeless, infinite singularity? This dates back what, 80 billion years or so?

If there is a singularity, there is one original creator. There may be many faces to this creator later, as there was initially one plasma-like matter that cooled and corrupted into the 114 or so known elements, but logically and scientifically there was but one original entity.

Which science are you using that is determined by original theologies?

And besides, the true original theologies started with a single Sky God and moved on to a prima-materia origin soup from which multiple gods rose. In both cases we start with one thing.

Fail, first off the the Big Bang theory doesn't delve too much into what happened before the bang, just that what started it was a violently compacted collection of energy, It's speculated that the Big Bang was the result of a previous universe shrinking (as ours is, at least, according to some). Secondly, we estimate that our universe is only about 14 Billion years old.
I do not know where you are getting your singularity from, or why you decided to bring up the Big Bang theory, of all things, to try and prove your point.
My point was that polytheistic religions existed on this Earth before the concepts of monotheism, so technically "In the beginning" (of documented time and what-not on this planet) there were many "Gods".  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:01 pm
Zahwomen
divineseraph
Zahwomen
divineseraph
In the beginning, there was but one singularity.

Yeah, if you're a Young Earth Creationist.
Or, you can listen to science and realize that "in the beginning" polytheism was the widely practiced form of religion.

Young Earth? I'm sorry, but doesn't the Big Bang theory state that before the universe there was a timeless, infinite singularity? This dates back what, 80 billion years or so?

If there is a singularity, there is one original creator. There may be many faces to this creator later, as there was initially one plasma-like matter that cooled and corrupted into the 114 or so known elements, but logically and scientifically there was but one original entity.

Which science are you using that is determined by original theologies?

And besides, the true original theologies started with a single Sky God and moved on to a prima-materia origin soup from which multiple gods rose. In both cases we start with one thing.

Fail, first off the the Big Bang theory doesn't delve too much into what happened before the bang, just that what started it was a violently compacted collection of energy, It's speculated that the Big Bang was the result of a previous universe shrinking (as ours is, at least, according to some). Secondly, we estimate that our universe is only about 14 Billion years old.
I do not know where you are getting your singularity from, or why you decided to bring up the Big Bang theory, of all things, to try and prove your point.
My point was that polytheistic religions existed on this Earth before the concepts of monotheism, so technically "In the beginning" (of documented time and what-not on this planet) there were many "Gods".

But in the beginning of TIME, there was one singularity. There was nothing before the big bang, it was all singularity. There was no such thing as time before the big bang.

By logic, if the universe started from one thing, it started from one thing. If there was a singularity, it was not a co-op. I am a monist in this sense because there was one central point, one thing. This thing split into soulstuff and matter, making me a dualist in the physical sense.

That, and in the beginning of human history, there was first a Sky God. Then there were multiple gods that came from a soulstuff soup, Ba'al and Yam were among those. Of course, these are human conceptions of the infinite- God is infinite, we are finite. We are correct to say that there is one God and that there are many Gods, that God is male and female. But scientifically, we know there is a core to God, since the universe and all things came from this singularity.  

divineseraph

Xahmen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:04 pm
Okay, how about you find me a nice and reliable source that states that before the Bang there was singularity, and link me to it?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:39 pm
Read Hawking's "A Brief History of Time".

Here's some ramblings on it, it doesn't seem too conclusive either way, but it mentions the large-scale theories backed in physics that say that the universe was born from a singularity.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/quentin_smith/uncaused.html  

divineseraph

Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas