Welcome to Gaia! ::

Roleplaying Gems [A Literate Roleplaying Community]

Back to Guilds

We provide a roleplaying environment suitable for learning, teaching, mentoring, and benefiting from that experience. 

Tags: roleplaying, gems, literate, roleplay, fantasy 

Reply Roleplaying Gems [Roleplaying + Community Area]
Character Pictures. . . *eye daggers* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

egg worm

Alien Egg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:10 am
i don't mind pictures as long as they have been drawn by the person playing the character. what really really bugs me, is when someone will take a random (most likely) anime picture and be like 'oh this is my character'. first off, it's basically stealing someone else's artwork/character anyway, and second, if you've just yoinked a picture off google, how is it your character in any way at all?

having pictures instead of descriptions is just incredibly lazy in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 3:10 pm
I like looking at the pretty pictures of the characters... but most of the time I don't roleplay with original characters. So most people already know what the other characters look like, you know series related roleplays.

I think it should be either way, no matter what roleplay your trying to start of join.  

xxKiller Kishixx

Punctual Shapeshifter

14,375 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Exploding sofa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:38 pm
I'll do either, whatever the roleplay requires of me. If I'm making a roleplay (which, to tell you the truth, doesn't happen very often... sweatdrop ), I'll ask for whatever someone wants. I guess I'm very un-opinionated on this matter... sweatdrop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:07 am
Though I do enjoy using just a description for a character. Mainly because I already have an idea for a character in general and sometimes the picture doesn't exactly match that idea. I also like using pictures as well. Because when you do finally find a picture that matches your idea...it becomes something wonderful....or at least to me it does.

The main point is that I like something to look at...as much as I like to let my imagination run wild. But sometimes...the imagination needs some... restraint. Because I prefer my character's to be interesting in appearance and in nature, it goes to say that I tend to go all out with their looks and their story. Something that while good in some cases...can also led my character to be encumbered with the very details that I sought to enhance them with...

If any of that made sense in this long ramble....

Elliptic Sin

3,600 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Inkay_Activist

Romantic Lunatic

9,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:26 pm
I started out rping on a kid's television site, so we had to use descriptions. I did that for two years, and enjoyed it. I could write anywhere from two sentences to three paragraphs describing someone, and even more for buildings and places. When I came here a year ago I learned that you could use pictures to. Since then I've preferred using pictures simply because a picture has a thousand words behind it, and I like the challenge of finding a picture that fits my character the best.

My opinion and best guess towards why some rps require anime only pics is because they don't want their role play to be realistic and show the imperfections of life in looks. Anime pictures usually are very well done and pretty, which a lot of people enjoy looking at and using, myself included. In addition I personally find looking for a good photograph difficult since I only use photobucket, (safe from people grouching about their pics being stolen, since its a sharing website, even though a lot of the pics on there are most likely stolen) and am extremely picky when it comes to representing a character.

On a somewhat side note since detailed profiles were mentioned I have no problem dealing with them. This is the longest skelly I've had to fill out, sadly I was the only one who joined.

*Character’s full name:

*Race:

Reason or meaning of name:

*Character’s nickname:

Reason for nickname:

*Personality:

Picture:

Good personality traits:

Bad personality traits:

*Mood character is most often in:

Sense of humor:

*Character’s greatest joy in life:

*Character’s greatest fear:

Why?:

*What single event would most throw this character’s life into complete turmoil?

*Character is most at ease when:

*Most ill at ease when:

*Enraged when:

*Depressed or sad when:

Priorities:

Life philosophy:

*If granted one wish, it would be:

Why?

*Character’s soft spot:

Is this soft spot obvious to others?

*Greatest strength:

*Greatest vulnerability or weakness:

*Biggest regret:

Minor regret:

*Biggest accomplishment:

Minor accomplishment:

*Past failures he/she would be embarrassed to have people know about:

Why?

*Character’s darkest secret:

*Does anyone else know?

*Goals:

Drives and motivations:

Immediate goals:

*Long term goals:

How the character plans to accomplish these goals:

How other characters will be affected:

*Past

*Home planet (you may make one up, but it might add to ideas):

*Type of childhood:

Pets:

First memory:

Most important childhood memory:

Why:

Childhood hero:

*Education:

*Religion:

Favorites
*Color:

Least favorite color:

Music:

Food:

Literature:

Form of entertainment:

Expressions:

Most prized possession:

Habits
*Hobbies:

*Smokes:

*Drinks:

*Extremely skilled at:

*Extremely unskilled at:

*Nervous tics:

Traits

*Daredevil or cautious?

*Logical or emotional?

*Self-perception:

*How he/she feels about himself/herself:

*One word the character would use to describe self:

*How does the character think others think about him/her:

What would the character most like to change about himself/herself:

*Relationships with others:

*Opinion of other people in general:

*Does the character hide his/her true opinions and emotions from others?

The ones with * next to it you had to fill out, the rest was optional  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:07 pm
.:: Like a butterfly through a paper shredder...

Ha, I would never fill something like that out. That stuff is for during the roleplay, not before...

...so fricken' awesome. ::.

Mr. Eccentricity
Captain

Eloquent Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Silvrya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:19 pm
I hate pictures mainly because I started role-playing on text and I can't draw.

I'm ok with putting a bit of background history such as the where my character currently is and what he/she is doing and maybe the most well know bits of their background histories, but I feel like putting too much detail in the profile makes the character too predictable. Everyone has secrets and things about them other people don't know. I feel that every character should also have their own little quirks and stories that only come out during the roleplaying game.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:03 pm
I wouldn't mind describing my character, but sometimes I'll be browsing through some google images and I'll find one that looks like a great character, so I have some pictures saved up for future roleplays, whether I'll get to use them or not.

I will say that recently someone really irritated me, though, when my character skeleton wasn't accepted because it was "too long", and "sorry the pic has to be anime". =P  

X_Hakiro_X

Wheezing Fatcat

Mr. Eccentricity
Captain

Eloquent Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:14 pm
X_Hakiro_X
I wouldn't mind describing my character, but sometimes I'll be browsing through some google images and I'll find one that looks like a great character, so I have some pictures saved up for future roleplays, whether I'll get to use them or not.

I will say that recently someone really irritated me, though, when my character skeleton wasn't accepted because it was "too long", and "sorry the pic has to be anime". =P

T-too long?? Are they...against...reading? -so confused-

Also, anime is just Japanese Animation, so unless they only require gifs made by Japanese people...very, very strange.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:34 pm
Mr. Eccentricity
X_Hakiro_X

Also, anime is just Japanese Animation, so unless they only require gifs made by Japanese people...very, very strange.

Too long, too developed, better than the leader's character? Whatever. xP

Also, this wasn't anywhere in the rules or anything.  

X_Hakiro_X

Wheezing Fatcat

Mr. Eccentricity
Captain

Eloquent Lunatic

9,600 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm
X_Hakiro_X
Mr. Eccentricity
X_Hakiro_X

Too long, too developed, better than the leader's character? Whatever. xP

Also, this wasn't anywhere in the rules or anything.

Wow. I mean, I've seen roleplays where it's in the rules, but....wow.

And yeah, major jealousy, it seems, haha.  
Roleplaying Gems [Roleplaying + Community Area]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff