*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
I feel trapped being Christian... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Submit

PetitEspoir

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:21 am
I am a Christian, and...I feel trapped, all these rules, do this do that, I don't feel free!
I think I may stop being a Christian..and become part of the Old Religion..

I can't explain the Old Religion....its like....read Bec - By Darren Shan, its something like that....I guess but more free etc.

Xx  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:10 pm
What makes you feel trapped?

Jesus is supposed to set us free. His only rules were love God and love your neighbor as yourself (don't steal, don't hurt one another, etc.).

I think that's the most important thing we need to remember :]  

Zora Dee

Aged Raider

2,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

ShideKnight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:56 pm
If your current church makes you feel trapped, you should find a new one. I mean, a lot of the rules probably aren't important... off the top of my head the things that I think are most important are "love God with all your heart and might" "love your neighbors as yourself" and "I am the way the truth and the light"

A lot of the rest of somewhat subjective, I think.

Anyways, what's making you feel trapped? Anything specific? Talk to us.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:31 pm
I think she's talking about paganism. And a lot of people do feel trapped because you are restricted from doing a lot. And you question a lot of things that can make life more enjoyable..and finding a new church isn't going to help. The Church is inside of you, not some stone building.  

xLady Tsukiyox

3,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

ShideKnight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 pm
Rai, the church is the community around you. The people you keep around you can matter a lot.

Anyways, what are you really restricted from doing, by what is written in the bible, and not by the rules that people have added on to the bible?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:14 am
The Church (a group of believers of a common faith) is what is supposed to help you grow. If they are not doing this, then it would be time to move on.

What is it that makes the feelings of being trapped come about?

I can understand some rules making one feel like they are trapped.

For instance, Baptist (most Southern Baptist that is...) say to wear a dress to church for girls and guys should all wear ties. But most days, that rule is no longer applied to many churches. Some keep this up, but those are the dying churches. There are many churches out there that will help in the not feeling free by being lax in rules and guidelines. However, the behavior ones (like loving an enemy and God) won't change. There may be idea changes in how to go about adhering to the moral standards, but not really a change in the moral standards.  

SloanSage

xLady Tsukiyox

3,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:47 am
ShideKnight Wrote:
Rai, the church is the community around you. The people you keep around you can matter a lot.

Anyways, what are you really restricted from doing, by what is written in the bible, and not by the rules that people have added on to the bible?
ummm no. The Church is your body. Your body is the church or temple of Christ. Thus why self-mutilation and/or piercings and tattoos are said to be taboo for Christians because it desecrates the "Temple". The church is a man-made structure to what humans feel is neccessary. The need to be in a group or community is natural. Animals form packs in order to survive, just like humans belong to different cliques in high school in order to survive the social order. (of course when I was in high school I was apart of many different cliques not just one. I'm sort of a drifter/loner/nice person type deal XD). And that's my sociology lesson of the day...-falls asleep-  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:39 pm
Goddess of Wolves Rai Wrote:
ShideKnight Wrote:

ummm no. The Church is your body. Your body is the church or temple of Christ. Thus why self-mutilation and/or piercings and tattoos are said to be taboo for Christians because it desecrates the "Temple". The church is a man-made structure to what humans feel is neccessary. The need to be in a group or community is natural. Animals form packs in order to survive, just like humans belong to different cliques in high school in order to survive the social order. (of course when I was in high school I was apart of many different cliques not just one. I'm sort of a drifter/loner/nice person type deal XD). And that's my sociology lesson of the day...-falls asleep-

Your right... but I think high school also backs up what I am saying: People hang around with people they are comfortable around, yes?

I never really found a church for a long time because I never really thought I'd find one that I'd feel comfortable in. But now I've found one, and I don't look forward to leaving it to go to collage.

My point is the particular attitudes of the people around you and the particular way that a community interprets Christianity can matter a lot. Not everyone follows the same set of rules.

So again, before giving up completely, pray and ask for a group of believers that you'll be comfortable around. If your young, it might be hard to switch to another group all together, but maybe you can work things out with parents, or maybe it'll be a youth group, or maybe something else. Who knows.  

ShideKnight

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

22,950 Points
  • Battle: Level 10 250
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:52 pm
If you feel trapped then quit.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:16 am
Its not a question of changes churches, I don't go to church anymore, I feel so trapped, the bible tells me what to do, ten commandments etc.  

PetitEspoir

eaglepurple

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:56 pm
Well u know wat u might feel traped but the other way is not the right way and just look at john 3:16 i mean u dont have to follow the rules know wat i mean i follow the rules but if u dont to u dont have to  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:20 pm
Actually, there's really not that many rules
Just don't steal and don't kill smilies/icon_xd.gif

In the book of Acts, Paul constantly writes the converted Gentiles and the only changes he recommends for them is simply "do not worship idols or eat food sacrificed to them. Abstain from sexual immorality and from blood."
And that was it ^^

God wants us to live in freedom. Not in fear. If you feel frustrated or trapped, think about why and where that's coming from. Follow your conscience and that's all :]

We're all here to help  

Zora Dee

Aged Raider

2,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

xLady Tsukiyox

3,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:36 pm
Zora Darkblade Wrote:
Actually, there's really not that many rules
Just don't steal and don't kill smilies/icon_xd.gif

In the book of Acts, Paul constantly writes the converted Gentiles and the only changes he recommends for them is simply "do not worship idols or eat food sacrificed to them. Abstain from sexual immorality and from blood."
And that was it ^^

God wants us to live in freedom. Not in fear. If you feel frustrated or trapped, think about why and where that's coming from. Follow your conscience and that's all :]

We're all here to help
To an outsider, the rules are a way of keeping people from being themselves and for doing the things that make life more enjoyable.

But OP, what you do, is your choice. We can't sit here and tell you what you should or shouldn't do. It's all up to you really. We can only make suggestions but we can't force you to do anything.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:01 am
Try to think of it this way: God is your Father. God knows what's best for you, so He set some basic rules to protect you from danger. Wouldn't you do the same for your kids? You would tell them not to play with knives, look both ways before crossing roads, etc.
Unfortunately, throughout time, man has added extra rules and regulations, turning something from a relationship into a religion. The pharisees were famous for this, and Jesus often rebuked them for it. They missed the point completely! God doesn't want us to be robots following restricting laws! He wants us to be in a loving relationship with Him! The laws are there to serve and protect us, not to bind and suffocate us.  

Orizion

iceangile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:34 pm
Quote:

I am a Christian, and...I feel trapped, all these rules, do this do that, I don't feel free!

As a Christian you should be doing this because of your own want. We're suppose to serve Him because we love him as well.

I understand how you feel though. Sometimes I wonder if it's really worth it too. If you really feel trapped the decision is yours. God gave everyone their own will. He won't stop you from doing what you want. But think about why you feel this way. It's still a good idea to go to someone who you respect as a Christian and ask them for advice. (it's what I did before.)  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games