He or She

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PetitEspoir

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:39 am
why do they say God is a He?

Is it because men were considered the rulers, or better than women?

ditto for Jesus!

pleas reply biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:57 am
Simple Male Chauvanism, we know God is Genderless, the writers simply had to apply a Gender to it.

Male sociaty, etc plus He sounds Better than it.

Edit: Its pretty freaking obvious why Jesus is called a he...it's kinda due to the fact he was a dude.  

We Dont Negotiate

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:46 am
God is more of an it than a he or a she if he was truly Genderless. I do understand why people think that God is a she. Women were generally seen as the nurturers whereas men were seen as beings of great power and started conflicts like war. The idea of God being a woman isn't a new one since in some sects of Paganism, where they worship the Great Goddess, Gaea, Mother Earth, etc.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:13 pm
And it's easier to relate when God is given a gendered pronoun as opposed to "it". It's just a language barrier, where human words cannot fully capture the essence of God.  

OneWithDunamis

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:09 pm
I don't think God is any gender. However, we call him a he because the Hebrew word for God was masculine, if I recall...

And also, why was Jesus a male? I would assume it's based off the prophecies and he was the SON of man~

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:00 am
Polly will never again (TRY TO) call God a He, Polly will refer to God as God and nothing else...Xx  

PetitEspoir

Miss Pagan Rose

Blessed Bookworm

14,675 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Champion 300
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:58 am
Well, since God has already been taken care of, I suppose I'll deal with Jesus' masculinity. One reason Jesus was a man would be to correspond with Adam.

In Romans 5:12-21, Paul contrasts Adam and Christ, saying, "Yes, Adam's one sin brought condemnation upon everyone, but Christ's one act of righteousness makes all people right in God's sight and gives them life. Because one person disobeyed God, many people became sinners. But because one other person obeyed God, many people will be made right in God's sight" (Romans 5:18-19). Adam was the man who brought on the burden of sin, and Jesus was the man to take it away.

Plus ... men are supposed to be the head of their household, with women and children in submission. Jesus couldn't have become a Rabbi and affected as many people if he were a woman because his sphere of influence would have been from his home. (Here's the debate about women in submission and such over in the Debate and Discussion forum: Biblical Womanhood and Manhood, Feminism, and the Family.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:34 pm
Gods Rosebud
Well, since God has already been taken care of, I suppose I'll deal with Jesus' masculinity. One reason Jesus was a man would be to correspond with Adam.

In Romans 5:12-21, Paul contrasts Adam and Christ, saying, "Yes, Adam's one sin brought condemnation upon everyone, but Christ's one act of righteousness makes all people right in God's sight and gives them life. Because one person disobeyed God, many people became sinners. But because one other person obeyed God, many people will be made right in God's sight" (Romans 5:18-19). Adam was the man who brought on the burden of sin, and Jesus was the man to take it away.

Plus ... men are supposed to be the head of their household, with women and children in submission. Jesus couldn't have become a Rabbi and affected as many people if he were a woman because his sphere of influence would have been from his home. (Here's the debate about women in submission and such over in the Debate and Discussion forum: Biblical Womanhood and Manhood, Feminism, and the Family.)
However in the Celtic socieities, women were the head of the household. They were revered and some were said to be descended from the Goddess and some were the High Priestesses. The Greeks also thought that women should be submissive and that men should be head of the household. Didn't make them right, now did it?  

Neferet -House of Night-

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff