Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Biblical Womanhood and Manhood, Feminism, and the Family Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Submit

Mountain Rose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:47 pm
I didn't see any posts on this subject, so I thought I'd start one. There is a certain group of Christians all around the world that believe that feminism brought on the demise of the family and is detrimental to Christianity. They believe in Bilbical Womanhood and Biblical Manhood, being a man or a woman, as defined by the Bible.

Links:

Here are some links with information on anti-feminism and biblical womanhood/manhood.

LadiesAgainstFeminism.com This is a wonderful website with lots of articles and subjects. Read the introduction page (click the "Start Here" button) first because it explains a lot about the website and such.
Visionary Daughters Anna Sofia Botkin and Elizabeth Botkin have written a wonderful book and made an absolutely awesome documentary about stay-at-home daughters!
Vision Forum Ministries "Vision Forum Ministries exists to encourage and equip the biblical family, to train and facilitate fathers leading their families in righteousness, and to provide a forum of events, messages, and resources to assist in your family’s multi-generational legacy of faithfulness." --From their website

Specific Articles/Videos:

These are some specific articles that are a good read as well.

Biblical Womanhood, by Voddie Baucham Dr. Voddie Baucham gives a clear definition of Biblical Womanhood from the scripture passage Titus 2, in eight parts on YouTube.
Biblical Manhood, by Voddie Baucham Here's Dr. Baucham's take on the definition of Biblical Manhood, also in eight parts on YouTube.
I Want to Be a Mom by Bethany Patchin
The Marks of Manhood by Dr. Albert Mohler
Why I Am Leaving Guyland: Peter Pans aren't as happy as they seem. An interesting article on the postponement of manhood in our culture.
Daughters At Home A lovely blog post by Stacy McDonald.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:50 pm
I, for one, am against feminism. I'm a stay-at-home daughter, and all I want to do is get married and have kids! smilies/icon_blaugh.gif  

Mountain Rose

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:56 am
Quote:
I, for one, am against feminism. I'm a stay-at-home daughter, and all I want to do is get married and have kids! smilies/icon_blaugh.gif
Let me guess, you think that all women should do is pop out kids and not use the brains and abilities that your God gave them so they can do nothing but bow down and serve their husbands like a slave bows down to their master? All I can say is wtf?

And stop blaming things on women right's. I mean seriously, it's not our fault that most of us are sick and tired of being belittled by not only men but our fellow women. It's disheartening to know that there are women out there that want to let their talents and intelligence go to waste. smilies/icon_talk2hand.gif  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:49 pm
I, for one, as a man, follow what Scripture has taught me. Women should not be belittled by men, but they also should not be out of the house a lot. The woman should care for the children, and care for the man, and, in equal turn, the man should care for the woman and handle most of the house work, as well as create income for the household. It must be a balanced relationship, otherwise, everything would fall apart  

Tornadomaster_Auron

Mountain Rose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:54 am
@ Dark Angel Rai: First of all, I don't think that women should waste their intelligence or talents at all! There are many wives and daughters who start and run businesses from home, help their husbands/fathers run their business, and volunteer in their community. Many of these women have the equivalent of a college education because of self-teaching and experience.

I also think that women should submit to their husbands and fathers, as it states in the Bible (Ephesians 5:21-33 & Colossians 3:19-21). I don't think submitting means "bowing down." When God says that women should submit to their husbands, he also says that men should love their wives. If you really love your wife, you won't force her to do something she doesn't want to.

@ Tornadomaster_Auron: Awesome. smilies/icon_xd.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:38 am
Rose Spuds Wrote:
@ Dark Angel Rai: First of all, I don't think that women should waste their intelligence or talents at all! There are many wives and daughters who start and run businesses from home, help their husbands/fathers run their business, and volunteer in their community. Many of these women have the equivalent of a college education because of self-teaching and experience.

I also think that women should submit to their husbands and fathers, as it states in the Bible (Ephesians 5:21-33 & Colossians 3:19-21). I don't think submitting means "bowing down." When God says that women should submit to their husbands, he also says that men should love their wives. If you really love your wife, you won't force her to do something she doesn't want to.

But unless you have a diploma from a college that really doesn't count for anything.

Quote:
Submission: 1 a: a legal agreement to submit to the decision of arbitrators b: an act of submitting something (as for consideration or inspection) ; also : something submitted (as a manuscript)2: the condition of being submissive, humble, or compliant3: an act of submitting to the authority or control of another

Quote:
Submitting: 1 a: to yield to governance or authority b: to subject to a condition, treatment, or operation <the metal was submitted to analysis>2: to present or propose to another for review, consideration, or decision ; also : to deliver formally <submitted my resignation>3: to put forward as an opinion or contention <we submit that the charge is not proved>intransitive verb1 a: to yield oneself to the authority or will of another : surrender b: to permit oneself to be subjected to something <had to submit to surgery>2: to defer to or consent to abide by the opinion or authority of another

Above are two good definitions from m-w.com. The dictionary doesn't lie and the English Language barely changes. Definitive definitions < connotative definitions.  

Neferet -House of Night-

divineseraph

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:52 am
I don't think anyone should submit to anyone, unless by choosing. Everyone is human, everyone has equal soulstuff, and therefore everyone is equal.

By such a token, I must also say that I dislike the idea of feminism, black power, white power, gay rights, and the likes. Everyone should just be equal, and we're in a time when that is pretty close to being fact. This makes things like that vestigial, and in fact, promoting a backwards step into creating a new gender or race gap by insisting on pointing out differences rather than similarities.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:39 pm
Well, to each their own but me, I am for feminism. Though some feminists bother me. Namely those labeled as Feminazis. The ones who have castrated all men and who think that because men exist they are in a perpetual state of being raped by them in some form. The extremists. Now you wanna stay home, pop out kids and be a good Scripture and 1950's wife, then go for it. As long as you are happy. Just as long as you don't think that because you are woman you don't have to do hard and sometimes heavy work aside from childbirth and childrearing.  

Ricette

Mountain Rose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:14 pm
Dark Angel Rai Wrote:
Rose Spuds Wrote:

But unless you have a diploma from a college that really doesn't count for anything.

Quote:
Submission: 1 a: a legal agreement to submit to the decision of arbitrators b: an act of submitting something (as for consideration or inspection) ; also : something submitted (as a manuscript)2: the condition of being submissive, humble, or compliant3: an act of submitting to the authority or control of another

Quote:
Submitting: 1 a: to yield to governance or authority b: to subject to a condition, treatment, or operation <the metal was submitted to analysis>2: to present or propose to another for review, consideration, or decision ; also : to deliver formally <submitted my resignation>3: to put forward as an opinion or contention <we submit that the charge is not proved>intransitive verb1 a: to yield oneself to the authority or will of another : surrender b: to permit oneself to be subjected to something <had to submit to surgery>2: to defer to or consent to abide by the opinion or authority of another

Above are two good definitions from m-w.com. The dictionary doesn't lie and the English Language barely changes. Definitive definitions < connotative definitions.

Those definitions are quite accurate. I still don't see where it says that submitting to someone means they won't let you have a say in some matter. It's not about going to your husband or father and asking them what they want you to do every single moment of the day. It's about letting your husband/father lead your family and have the final say in all major decisions.

EDIT: And what do you mean that knowledge means nothing without a diploma? Many people have a diploma, but don't know anything. It's the way you use knowledge, not a piece of paper, in your life that makes the difference.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:19 pm
divineseraph Wrote:
I don't think anyone should submit to anyone, unless by choosing. Everyone is human, everyone has equal soulstuff, and therefore everyone is equal.

By such a token, I must also say that I dislike the idea of feminism, black power, white power, gay rights, and the likes. Everyone should just be equal, and we're in a time when that is pretty close to being fact. This makes things like that vestigial, and in fact, promoting a backwards step into creating a new gender or race gap by insisting on pointing out differences rather than similarities.

Well, of course everyone has free will. By choosing to follow Christ, you're choosing to submit to his will, and, according to the Bible, that means submitting to your husband or father. It is a choice. Some women choose not to submit, and that is their choice. Others choose to commit adultery, lie, steal, cheat, and commit any other sin in existance. In my opinion, there's no difference, and I don't treat anyone differently because they make these choices because it's theirs. Some days I choose to lie, some days I choose to be a glutton ... I'm no different.  

Mountain Rose

Mountain Rose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:38 pm
Ricette Wrote:
Well, to each their own but me, I am for feminism. Though some feminists bother me. Namely those labeled as Feminazis. The ones who have castrated all men and who think that because men exist they are in a perpetual state of being raped by them in some form. The extremists. Now you wanna stay home, pop out kids and be a good Scripture and 1950's wife, then go for it. As long as you are happy. Just as long as you don't think that because you are woman you don't have to do hard and sometimes heavy work aside from childbirth and childrearing.

No offence to you personally, but I get soooooo annoyed when people mention 1950's housewives. The kind of housewife I want to be, and that most of these Christian women who are against feminism are, is nothing like that!

When I picture a 1950's housewife, I picture a pristinely groomed, thin woman, who sends her children off to school everyday and has no business in her husband's work. She has lunch with other housewives, throws cocktail parties in the evening, and always has a meal ready on time. The hardest work she does is hanging up the laundry or digging in the flower garden.

That is not what I want to be! A real Christian housewife has a relatively messy house, and cares about her appearance, but not too much. She may or may not homeschool her children, and whether her husband has his own business or not, she is dedicated to helping and working for him. She has other families over for dinner, as long as they're okay with a crazy, loud dinner table. She is involved in her community, so much more than the PTA! She volunteers what little time she has to helping the poor and "needy" (whether they need a meal or a hug). She chops and brings in firewood, knows how to use a weed-wacker, and is certainly no stranger to dirt and mud. She may even have her own at-home business to bring in a little extra money. She gets up early because she has to, goes to bed late, exhausted. She knows that the place that she can make the most difference is in her home. And she is not perfect. Her children are not perfect. Her husband is not perfect. She is human, a sinner, and she realizes her need for a savior every day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:48 pm
Mountain Rose Wrote:
Dark Angel Rai Wrote:
Rose Spuds Wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Those definitions are quite accurate. I still don't see where it says that submitting to someone means they won't let you have a say in some matter. It's not about going to your husband or father and asking them what they want you to do every single moment of the day. It's about letting your husband/father lead your family and have the final say in all major decisions.

EDIT: And what do you mean that knowledge means nothing without a diploma? Many people have a diploma, but don't know anything. It's the way you use knowledge, not a piece of paper, in your life that makes the difference.
According to Society, without a diploma backing you up you have nothing. You aren't educated and you don't have the neccessary qualifications.  

Neferet -House of Night-

Tornadomaster_Auron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:51 pm
Those standards are the corrupted thinking of Humans. In truth, we should follow what our SOUL tells us, not our humanity. We exist for one true purpose: To serve the Lord and spread the word of God. To many who say "the bible was translated by man, so it cannot be true", let me tell you this: I believe in a God so powerful, that, even if it has been written by men, the message he wants to tell me can be placed on that page, in that book, and be seen by me only, if he wishes it. If he wants something to be conveyed in the Bible, he'll make it appear![/end rant]

Pardon me, got sidetracked. Back on track, as I was saying, Listen to your SOUL, not your Humanity. Do not base your opinions on Human standards, but what you feel in your soul  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:01 am
Dark Angel Rai Wrote:
Mountain Rose Wrote:
Dark Angel Rai Wrote:
Rose Spuds Wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

According to Society, without a diploma backing you up you have nothing. You aren't educated and you don't have the neccessary qualifications.

According to society, perhaps, but I'm not talking about what society thinks. According to society, a person is supposed to move out of their parents' house at 18, go to college, and earn as much money as they possibly can before they die. A stay-at-home mom or daughter defies this standard anyway, so you can't really apply the rules of society to them.  

Mountain Rose

Mountain Rose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:03 am
Tornadomaster_Auron Wrote:
Those standards are the corrupted thinking of Humans. In truth, we should follow what our SOUL tells us, not our humanity. We exist for one true purpose: To serve the Lord and spread the word of God. To many who say "the bible was translated by man, so it cannot be true", let me tell you this: I believe in a God so powerful, that, even if it has been written by men, the message he wants to tell me can be placed on that page, in that book, and be seen by me only, if he wishes it. If he wants something to be conveyed in the Bible, he'll make it appear![/end rant]

Pardon me, got sidetracked. Back on track, as I was saying, Listen to your SOUL, not your Humanity. Do not base your opinions on Human standards, but what you feel in your soul

Agreement.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games