Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
What are the characteristics of a bad church?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fallpray

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:22 pm
I asked this question because I have personally not been to one that seen questionable to me. But I do hope to get feedback if you happen to have come across one, so that I can easily recognize a bad church when I encounter one in the future.

God Bless.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:03 am
hmmm, this is a toughie. confused

I'd say a church that ALWAYS makes you feel warm and cozy is a bad thing. And maybe churches that are habitual. that's all I can think of at the moment.

(P.S. Don't think of this too highly though. I'm only 16 and have been going to the same church for my entire life, lol.)  

Act of Random Kindness

1,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200

divineseraph

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:42 am
I dislike almost all churches, at least as they are used now. All ritual and no practice. Just shuffle on through, repeat your lyrics, go home.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 pm
It really depends on the church and the denomination. There are the Protestant churches and the traditional churches and the liturgical churches.

The liturgical and the traditional will have ceremony, and traditions, and a constant pattern. In ways, that is good.

Some of the newer mega churches are not great. Really it depends on your level as a Christian. New? Maybe a mega church is okay because then you will begin to grow and maybe get plugged in because many have great Bible studies.

HOWEVER! I will warn you and tell you this: THINK FOR YOURSELF! Too many young believers fall off course because of faulty theology. They have great intentions, they just might not be right. Make sure you examine passages they cite (and if they do not use the Bible as a source, get out now!) and the ones surrounding them. Make sure you know the context for those verses.

I personally have left a mega church for a smaller church and I love it. It was just what was right for me at the time, and I am very happy with it. find a home that is right for YOU and not everyone else.  

SloanSage

Fallpray

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:48 am
SloanSage
It really depends on the church and the denomination. There are the Protestant churches and the traditional churches and the liturgical churches.

The liturgical and the traditional will have ceremony, and traditions, and a constant pattern. In ways, that is good.

Some of the newer mega churches are not great. Really it depends on your level as a Christian. New? Maybe a mega church is okay because then you will begin to grow and maybe get plugged in because many have great Bible studies.

HOWEVER! I will warn you and tell you this: THINK FOR YOURSELF! Too many young believers fall off course because of faulty theology. They have great intentions, they just might not be right. Make sure you examine passages they cite (and if they do not use the Bible as a source, get out now!) and the ones surrounding them. Make sure you know the context for those verses.

I personally have left a mega church for a smaller church and I love it. It was just what was right for me at the time, and I am very happy with it. find a home that is right for YOU and not everyone else.

I belong to a megachurch currently. So far I find that it is alright for me. One important thing I feel is whether one feels the presense of God in the church itself. My current level biblical knowledge is still inadequate for me to interpret difficult passages.
It's hard to say whether I will leave my current church one day. What you have said does make sense.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:44 pm
My opinion of church is currently under renovation, so I'll let you know ...  

Mountain Rose

SloanSage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 pm
I was at a mega church at one point, and it was for me at that time. I have moved to two different ones and I have found a family.

I also go to a private university that is Southern Baptist affiliated, so I have learned in my years there and grown. As long as you are able to grow, then you are in a good place. If you can connect, then it is good.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:47 pm
well ones that are no fun and all serious all the time... I once went went to a church like that and people that only care for there selfs there... and u dont feel the love  

eaglepurple

Kazydi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:24 am
I used to go to one church that told the parishioners that we didn't even need to bring bibles because it wasn't important. Now THAT is pretty bad. eek

I would say that any church that makes you feel connected with the Lord and has you looking forward to going there every sunday to experience a family is a good one. But then again, it's all relative.

My girlfriend goes to a small church and has been there all her life. I've always been at mega churches. I'll admit, I like the small ones better, but that's just me. ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:26 am
i like small churches

if the ppl treat u badly then its bad
my pastor doest do that boring tone thing and screams the message... eek and he asks for volennters all the time i like my church and a church that makes u feel closer to god is the right church  

xlxBeautifulTragedyxlx

brad175

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:20 pm
If you're at a church where the pastor preaches sin, righteousness, and repentance, then you're at a good church. There are too many pastors that don't want to step on anybody's toes. They're too afraid to tell people the truth that will save them.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games