Other "true" religions.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did you read the first post?
  yes.
  No.
  [POLLWHORE] I didn't even read the question.
View Results

iy8970970607

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:48 pm
Lets be Devil's advocates for a bit.
In this as a pequisite to posting let agree to no assume nor bluntly excalaim in any fashion, that any religion, whether ours, thiers, his hers, or such and such.

How do we as people inclined to belive Christianity as truth, interact with other religionswhitch consider themselves to be true. ie. Pastafarianism, Jeudaism, Hinduism,Scientology, Islam, Gnostic,Agnostic, Athiesm, people-with-athieistic-beliefs-yet-think-they-are-worthless-as-creating-a-religion-to-separate-from-annother, ect.ect.

What do you agree on, what don't we agree on,
What don't they agree on.

What are the difrences between us?

Why do they assume thier's is true?

[ I think I might have actualy made a decent topic! ^_^ ]
Why do we assume ours is inerrable?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:49 pm
[Evil bump of sparkely DOOM!!!116giraffe!]  

iy8970970607

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:17 am
Well as my bf has told me, the similarity between Wicca (I am a pagan leaning a little towards Wicca) and Christianity (He's Christian) is that we both believe in a being of creation and power. In Wicca's case it's two. But Christianity and Paganism also share the same Holiday's. (Christmas and Easter; Ostara and Saturnalia)  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:13 am
As for monotheistic religions, not much. One or two prophets, languages and cultures. That's all. Judaism, Christianity and Islam, chronologically noted, all worship the same God but different prophets, or with different levels of importance placed on different prophets.

As for polytheistic religions, most of them have an idea that the many gods are aspects of one main God, like Aton in Atonism and Brahma in Hinduism. This is a lot like the trinity, where there are multiple parts of one God. Who cares if there are one, three or 500 faces of God?  

divineseraph

iy8970970607

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:59 am
Dark Angel Rai
Well as my bf has told me, the similarity between Wicca (I am a pagan leaning a little towards Wicca) and Christianity (He's Christian) is that we both believe in a being of creation and power. In Wicca's case it's two. But Christianity and Paganism also share the same Holiday's. (Christmas and Easter; Ostara and Saturnalia)
^_^ Nicely put.

But Wicca holds rituals of whitch are refered to bluntly as whitchcraft.
Does this not phase your relationship?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:01 am
divineseraph
As for monotheistic religions, not much. One or two prophets, languages and cultures. That's all. Judaism, Christianity and Islam, chronologically noted, all worship the same God but different prophets, or with different levels of importance placed on different prophets.
Quote:

How does thier belief that Jesus/Joshua was an Illogical prophet, nothing more, nor less stnad with you?

iy8970970607

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:35 pm
The Pied Piper of Sunday
Dark Angel Rai
^_^ Nicely put.

But Wicca holds rituals of whitch are refered to bluntly as witchcraft
He used to be Wiccan. So he understands my path. And he was the one who said what I put. He really doesn't care because he knows they're one in the same. Wicca has rituals as does Christianity. Witchcraft isn't evil per say. It all depends on the intent of the user, but regarding me, I haven't delved in it. I'm in a studying phase. We don't really talk about our religions and we don't try and convert each other. To us loving each other is the most important thing. Religion comes 2nd..maybe even 3rd.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:59 pm
I rather doubt anyone sincerely holds to Pastafarianism. Anyone who does has rather sadly missed the point.  

Tarrou

divineseraph

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:29 pm
The Pied Piper of Sunday
divineseraph
quote]
How does thier belief that Jesus/Joshua was an Illogical prophet, nothing more, nor less stnad with you?

Illogical? Hardly. They believe he was a rather important prophet.

How do you feel about missing a prophet?

But either way, even if some muslims DO think jesus was illogical, so what? It's still the same God. If they follow his example and spread peace rather than hate, how can they go wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:51 pm
Dark Angel Rai
The Pied Piper of Sunday
Dark Angel Rai
^_^ Nicely put.

But Wicca holds rituals of whitch are refered to bluntly as witchcraft
He used to be Wiccan. So he understands my path. And he was the one who said what I put. He really doesn't care because he knows they're one in the same. Wicca has rituals as does Christianity. Witchcraft isn't evil per say. It all depends on the intent of the user, but regarding me, I haven't delved in it. I'm in a studying phase. We don't really talk about our religions and we don't try and convert each other. To us loving each other is the most important thing. Religion comes 2nd..maybe even 3rd.

^_^ very understandable  

iy8970970607

iy8970970607

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:00 pm
divineseraph
The Pied Piper of Sunday
divineseraph
Quote:

Illogical? Hardly. They believe he was a rather important prophet.

How do you feel about missing a prophet?

But either way, even if some muslims DO think jesus was illogical, so what? It's still the same God. If they follow his example and spread peace rather than hate, how can they go wrong?

I don't belive he was a prophet. I belive he was an aeon.

but fundamentaly can we have peace?
can two religions actualy have actual peace between them?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:24 pm
I'm not going to call myself a Devil's advocate right now, but I can say that if every religion that believed not only that their religion was the true religion, but that you had to be that religion to obtain salvation were correct, that we'd all be in deep trouble...And if they were all wrong, we'd still be in deep trouble...and if only one of them were right, which would be the right one?

I believe in what my religion teaches though I have to confess that some of it I believe might be mistaught a little/misunderstood/misused or just can't bring myself to support...just as in every religion there are issues.

But I do believe that my religion teaches the truth to the best of their abilities.

And I believe that the Christian religion is divided in their belief systems, even perticular churches, one way or another and usually more than one way, so even each Christian religion counts as a different religion.

~Zerotheslayer (Guest Waiting on Membership)  

Jessie-the-Foodie

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200

cc_thirteen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:36 pm
Well for one, if you look at the history of other religions you will find that beliefs are based simply upon story.

I'm not going to speak lightly about the next subject, because it really is the best example. If you look at the beliefs involved in Mormonism, they are based on story. There isn't any archeological evidence to support the existence of the cities that were talked about existing, and the revisions to the book of mormon since it's original version have changed it's message. The only way to avoid that truth is not to look at the facts.

Likewise, the only way that you can think, historically, that Jesus was not crucified and resurrected is to ignore the historical facts. Dr. Michael Licona Ph.D. was able to prove, in five simple facts that you cannot disprove that the resurrection happened, historically. You see, when you are a historian, just like when you are a scientist, you have to look at the facts. You cannot rule out that which you don't know, and you can't push the evidence past where it is able to go. A scientist who rules out the supernatural is simply ruling out a variable that he or she cannot explain. These are the five historical facts.

1: Jesus died on the cross. We know this because we have testimony apart from the bible that Jesus died. We have Roman account, and even the Jewish Talmud says, "Yeshu was hanged." So, we can know, historically that Jesus not only existed, but that he died on the cross.

2: Jesus' followers actually believe that he rose and appeared to them. The difference between martyrs of today and the Christian martyrs back then is that those who are dying for their beliefs today believe upon what they have heard. The martyrs back then were martyred for what they claimed to have actually seen and heard. We know that liars make bad martyrs. I don't know about you, but if I had been lying just to receive attention from others, and I was about to be killed for it, I would admit I was lying. A lie is not worth dying for. But the Christ. He is worth dying for. They carried their beliefs to the grave saying that they saw and heard the risen Christ.

3: The conversion of the church persecutor Paul. This is a great fact. Paul was once known as Saul of Tarsus. He made a living persecuting christians as the head persecutor, and a good living at that. He had it made in the shade. He was on the road to Damascus after Jesus had been crucified. He had three servants with him. He said that Jesus appeared to him, and changed his life. His three servants said that they saw a bright light and heard voices they couldn't understand. Now, some claim that he made it up and that the three servants were hallucinating. Let me ask you this, though: How many times have you ever heard of 3 people simultaneously sharing the same exact hallucination? Historically, and medically, you can't disprove this historical fact. Not only did he become a christian, but he was persecuted and martyred for his beliefs.

4: The conversion of Jesus' half-brother, James. Not many know that Jesus had several half-brothers and sisters. How would it make someone feel for their brother to say "I am the Christ. The Son of God." You would think he was crazy, right? I mean, it would make it all the worse because Jesus actually did what Christ would do perfectly. He lived that life. All of Jesus' life, James did not believe that Jesus was the Christ. However, after Jesus was crucified and risen, he appeared to James. James not only converted to Christianity, but became the leader of the Jerusalem church. He was later martyred for his beliefs.

5: Jesus' Tomb was empty. We know that the tomb was empty because when Jesus was no longer in the tomb, the romans immediately accused the Christians of stealing the body. That is an indirect admission to the fact that they did not have the body and did not truly know what happened to it.

Historically, the only explanation is that Jesus rose from the dead.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:39 pm
Tarrou
I rather doubt anyone sincerely holds to Pastafarianism. Anyone who does has rather sadly missed the point.

lol..spaghetti legged monster dramallama  

No place like 127 0 0 1

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces