Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!
[How To] Wish Bracelets

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Thirrin Lindenshield

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:01 pm

heart How to Make a Wish Bracelet heart

User Image

Introduction

You've probably seen bracelets like these in magic stores or at festivals. They sometimes have beads or are made with a different color thread depending on what you want to wish for (green for money, red for love, etc). Once the bracelet falls off your wrist (or ankle), you will get your wish.

The Materials

I made mine from leftover embroidery thread. This type of thread is usually made of cotton, very durable, and comes in oodles of colors. For the non-sewers among us, here is a picture of the thread you will need for this project, next to a pack of gum for size refrence:

User Image

It sells for around 3 skiens/dollar at most craft stores (JoAnn Fabrics, Michaels, etc. If you have no craft stores near you, Walmarts sometimes has it in their craft department). This is great, because we will be braiding and need three threads. Of course, you can make a bracelet with only one color. If the posibility intices you, know that some stores carry neon-glow-in-the-dark colored thread.
DMC and Anchor are the most popular brands (In the USA, at least. IDK about other countries.), but brand doesn't really matter. Try to avoid the super-cheapo stuff that comes in a bag with a bunch of other colors. It's of a poorer quality and can make a difference in the final product. Each color comes with a number, but that is to refrence with instructions on an embroidery project, so you don't need to worry about that.
Besides the thread, you will need a pair of scissors, a safety pin, and perhaps a ruler or measuring tape.

The Steps

1. Decide what you would like to wish for. Money? Health? Psycic Power?
2. Choose up to three colors for your bracelet that correspond with your wish. For example, if you would like to wish for money, you can use three shades of green. If you can only think of two, then use white as the third one for the spirit.
3. If you would like, you can braid your bracelet in a sacred space and burn an appropriately colored candle. I didn't make mine like that, but it's an option if you want to.
4. Pull out enough thread from the skiens to go three times around you wrist/ankle and leave a few inches on each end to tie it on.
5. Put one end of all the threads together. Knot them up.
6. Begin braiding. Once you braid about an inch and a half of the thread, you can safety pin it to a pillow or arm of a chair to hold it while you braid. It's much easier to braid a long cord this way. Keep your tension tight and don't give the threads too much slack. If you do, they can unravel. Keep in mind that neatly and painstakingly braiding a cord can take time if you want to do a good job. Have patience and don't give up! Stop braiding about an inch from the end of the threads and tie a knot.
7. Wind the cord around your wrist/ankle, and be sure to tie it loose enough so it won't cut off your circulation.
8. Wear the bracelet until it falls off (don't cut it or try to make it fall off prematurely. That's cheating...).

Good luck, and I hope you like your bracelets! heart  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:52 am

Eek! I've always wanted a wish bracelet, but I never really got around to making one... This definitely looks like something I should do; it seems as if it would calm any tensions one may have while beginning the project. Hm... ^-^ Thank you.

x-Akki-Hime-x

o sunflower king

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:21 pm
Stand in the rain, stand your ground...

Hmm, I wonder if making friendship bracelets would still work?
I mean, as long as the intention is there, right?

I did something similar to this with hemp and pink beads, and I my wish came true-- I'm making new friends! ^_^

Stand up when it's all crashing down.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:22 am
What does each color rep. I mean I dunno the color equasions sad I'd like to make one with money, love(i have my lover i just want the love to keep on going lol) and health but if not love then we'll go with happiness i guess^^ i just dunno what colors those are.  

SynysterFalkyn

6,850 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

PiercedPixie2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:26 pm
Jenny Artucio
Stand in the rain, stand your ground...

Hmm, I wonder if making friendship bracelets would still work?
I mean, as long as the intention is there, right?

I did something similar to this with hemp and pink beads, and I my wish came true-- I'm making new friends! ^_^

Stand up when it's all crashing down.

Then it seems to be working :]
My sister in law and I made a couple wish anklets...in May ^_^
Mine has got small bells on it, and is still on!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:20 pm
GAH! thank you so much! i love this idea!! its creative and new. i havent heard of a wish bracelet before. i think im going to go try it right now!

thank you! heart  

ValkyriePrincess92

_Theatre is Life_

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:31 am
Wow! thanks for posting this! I made myself one. its actually pretty cool looking 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:13 am

Good idea posting this. Do you think it would matter if i made it with hemp, though it's not colored, just tanish.

I Scarlet I

Beautiful Propaganda

6,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:02 pm
SynysterFalkyn
What does each color rep. I mean I dunno the color equasions sad I'd like to make one with money, love(i have my lover i just want the love to keep on going lol) and health but if not love then we'll go with happiness i guess^^ i just dunno what colors those are.

Love- red
Money- green
Health- light blue, purple, light pink, or white
Happiness- yellow or blue
these are from experience, so they work for me, but you should experiment and see what works for you.

da war kein Land zu s e h ' n

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:37 pm
Will any kind of craft material work?
I have yarn, ribbons, embroidery thread, and even black plastic cord!
I also have some linen fabric too.
This is probably one of the few magicks I can use, since my parents are so opposed to this kind of thing...  

FinalGrimoire

AmyK02

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:26 pm
FinalGrimoire
Will any kind of craft material work?
I have yarn, ribbons, embroidery thread, and even black plastic cord!
I also have some linen fabric too.
This is probably one of the few magicks I can use, since my parents are so opposed to this kind of thing...

Thirrin hasn't logged in in awhile, so I'm going to give my best advise here.

The embroidery thread is recommended as the best material to use in the OP's opinion- as you have quite a variety of color and its a strong material that is easy to work with. But you can also use what you have on hand or whatever feels right for YOU. The most important part of any magickal working isn't the materials- it's the intent and energy from the person doing the ritual.

So use what you have on hand if you want- just make sure your intent is strong & focused. smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:24 am
I Scarlet I

Good idea posting this. Do you think it would matter if i made it with hemp, though it's not colored, just tanish.

I think that hemp would be an excellent choice, actually- it's a natural material, and its neutral color could probably be a good substitute for any correspondence.  

Chaos Blue

27 Ven 27

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:11 pm
so what would the color for psychic ability be? purple maybe?  
The Academy - - [classes, how-to's, guides] - - Ostara/Mabon Party! Join us!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games