Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wicca: Blessed Be

Back to Guilds

For anyone interested in Wicca, Paganism, or Witchcraft 

Tags: Wicca, Pagan, Witchcraft, New Age, Community 

Reply The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!
August 2008 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:27 pm
User Image

Hello everyone! We'd like to wish all of you a very blessed Lammas/Imbolc!

Just a quick announcement:
We've recently lost several of our newspaper staff and are in desperate need of new writers. We need writers for the following subjects the most:
- Sabbats
- Crystals and Gemstones
- Gods and Goddesses
There are other subjects that are available. If you'd like to apply, please see this thread. It is a paying job. smile

New to the August issue:
- Pagan Music section
- Two new games in The Game Room section

Table of contents:
Introduction - you are here
Guild Happenings
Members Section
Animal Totems
Beginner's Section
Book Review
Crystals & Gemstones
The Elements
Gods and Goddesses
The Herb Garden
Imbolc
Kitchen Witches
Lammas
Meditation
Mythical Creatures
Pagan Music
Spells
Game Room
Classified Ads

Book Review Discussion thread
Feedback thread
Suggestions thread  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:34 pm
User Image

Coming in the month of August:
We currently have a little Lammas/Imbolc part going on in The Moonlight Market. Click here to go to the party guestbook. There are a few contests to enter, including an avatar contest, a candle decorating contest, and a Autumn art contest. There's also a huge raffle going on... one ticket costs 250 gold, but if you buy five at the same time then you get a sixth ticket free.

Nothing else is currently planned for the month of August, although we might try to get in some new games/contests for you guys.

----------

New shops in The Moonlight Market:
- RP Tarot - Great, detailed, and very accurate readings! Highly recommended.
- Distorted_Image's Birthcharts - Very detailed and well-worth the gold!  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:36 pm
User Image

We had quite a few very lovely people join us during the month of July. Please be sure to make them all feel welcome!

Vivisectrix, -X- The Unseen -X-, Amita Sheera, DewPaw, MissyKeown, Tay Royale, Pouncequick, B_Lynn, Biospark, Fairy Fox, Thirrin Lindenshield, Miss Will V, Distorted_Image, usiylover2, Angel of Sunrise, Aeieo, Soul of Solitude, loveblackbutterflies, Kitty_Ramirez, Damian Von Hellsing, YumiSukazu, Moonlit_Butterflies, Aliakai Suntetsu, XLady FortunaX, Rising Fox, Fuyu Peach, Ladygaura, The Cookie Whore Pirate, Dreary Confusion, Darknessembrace13, Flashie RainBow Orgasm, Louve Blanche, Imoti, xXx Crystalline xXx, The Loneliest Acromantula, I-onishi, wandering lonewolf, Stelmaria2, NightzRain, Atrum_Anima, Peorth Asa, Buddhist_baby, doistu

---

We'd like to wish the following people a happy birthday this month:
August 3rd - - ummei
August 4th - - Morganlefae66
August 5th - - Angel Lionheart
August 8th - - Avalon Moonfire
August 9th - - hoshiko-demon
August 11th - - The Riot King
August 12th - - Lucifer Kiss
August 15th - - Lolly333 and Bromisto
August 16th - - Mythological_Maiden and YumiSukazu
August 17th - - Celestial_Dragon_Star
August 18th - - Rys Demon, musik6-13-05 and First Class Beauty
August 19th - - Bayleigh of the Dark Moon
August 20th - - FlamenFaerie09, mystikdreamer, dragonwings87, God of Science and Amythest Fae
August 21st - - ~Golden Angel flame~
August 22nd - - scrollto
August 23rd - - SinginginSilence, Dark_Style
August 24th - - Breonna15, Lady Katmarie, and navrie
August 27th - - Ablepsy
August 29th - - Satans Sweetest Angel, and ShaddowFoxx
August 30th - - AmeRose, Ariyanne and my.somnia

-----

User Image

This month's 'Member-of-the-Month' is SwirlingDark!

User Image

The Interview
Blessed_Scribe: Which Sabbat is your favorite and why?
SwirlingDark: My favourite Sabbat has definitely got to be Beltane. The celebrations of new life and fertility have always appealed to me. That's why I liked Easter before I discovered Paganism.

Blessed_Scribe: What challenges does witchcraft face in the modern world?
SwirlingDark: I think Witchcraft faces a lot of challenges in this crazy world we live in. First there's the challenge of being misunderstood. So many crazy religious types seem convinced that Witchcraft is the work of the Devil and because of this, Witches, Pagans and Wiccans face gross misrepresentation in the media. It's a situation that isn't greatly helped by certain persons *cough*Fiona Horne*cough* who aren't everything they seem to be decide to take it upon themselves to put themselves in the limelight and say "All Witches/Pagans/Wiccans are like me".

But I think, other than this problem, the greatest challenge Witchcraft faces in this industrialised world is the lack of natural spaces. Most Witches live in urban areas because it's so much more convenient and I think it takes a very faithful person to see the elements at work in the cities around them. Cars driven by combustion (fire), the bricks in the buildings (earth), the elaborate piping systems beneath our feet (water) and the winds in your face.

Blessed_Scribe: What does Wicca mean to you?
SwirlingDark: On the basest level, Wicca means the worship of the Goddess and the God and their many faces and personalities. But, of course, it goes deeper than that for me, as it does for many. It means doing what you can to look after Mother Earth. It means accepting that yes, you are able to talk to your deity directly without need of an intermediary. And, I think most importantly, it means accepting that you don't know everything about the divine and probably never will while living on this Earth. It's a constant learning process.

Blessed_Scribe: What is the most valuable thing you have gained from your spiritual path?
SwirlingDark: Two things. The first being answers. Growing up the way I did, you're left woth a lot of questions. The religions I was taught about (Christianity included) in Religious Studies just didn't answer those questions to my satisfaction. Then when I dicovered Wicca, the answers just fit for me, and I was happy.

The second was self respect. I won't lie, I used to self harm. I mean, if God is just some phantom sky being, why should he care what happened to me? He wasn't there when I needed him, so why should he be there any other time? But when I found Wicca and learned that the divine lived in me and in everything around me... It was a real turning point for me. I started really taking care of myself. I'm special, I thought. I'm loved. And when I hurt myself, I'm hurting the loving God and Goddess who saw fit to give this life to me.

Blessed_Scribe: How do you respond to friends or family members who question, criticize, or misunderstand your chosen religion?
SwirlingDark: I've been lucky, as I haven't really had any problems with that as yet. But if it comes up, I try to stay calm. The worst thing you can do is get angry and yell. But when it comes to it, all you can do is explain what Wicca is and that it's a path that makes you happy. Of course, you will get those who try to convert you, but on the whole, if they love you, they should respect the path you've chosen.

Blessed_Scribe: How do you respond to others who are proselytizing, promoting their religion, or attempting to convert you?
SwirlingDark: To be honest, they make me laugh. The arguement that really tickles me is that by denying the existance of Satan, I am playing into his hands and worshipping him without being aware of it. You mainly get it from branches of Christianity. I tend to ignore them, or point out flaws in their arguement. The latter is saved for when I'm feeling scrappy. And I'm good at arguing. I took philosophy.

Blessed_Scribe: How would you describe the present civilization that we live in? How would you change it?
SwirlingDark: I don't like today's civilization. It's selfish, inconsiderate, cruel, abusive and anything but "civil". You get the pockets of nice people, but they can be hard to come by. If I could, I'd give society two things. Consideration; for their fellow man and the world around them, and acceptence that not everybody is the same and that not everybody can be pigeonholed.

Blessed_Scribe: Do you believe in 'ghosts'? Have you ever had any 'encounters' and if so, would you mind telling me about one of your experiences?
SwirlingDark: I do believe in ghosts. 100%. And I have had encounters. There used to be a ghost living in my bedroom in my last place of residence. It wasn't a "body", just a spirit orb. I used to stare at it most nights until I fell asleep, trying to fathom what it was. It was joined by a couple of smaller orbs by the time a friend said it was a ghost. I tried talking to it once, but it disappeared and I never saw it again. I was kinda disappointed.

If there's someone that you would like to nominate for our Member of the Month, please be sure to send a PM to Blessed_Scribe!

-----

Member Artwork

User Image
By dark_angel_32189

Want your artwork (drawings, poetry, photography, etc) to be featured here? Then, contact Blessed_Scribe for more details. You will receive payment for any of your artwork that is published in the newspaper.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:40 pm
User Image

Animal Totems - The Crow
Written by WelkingPath

User Image

The Crow has often been a wonder for the occult world. Cowans look upon the crow as a disgusting and unsightly creature, but those who look beyond appearance and noise will find that the Crow’s nature can be very beneficial.

A story comes to mind when I think of the word “Crow.” It is a children’s story called Rainbow Crow. It tells of how the world was once a warm place, and then it suddenly started to snow, growing colder more and more. The animals decided to send a messenger, Rainbow Crow, to their creator.

When Rainbow Crow got to the heavens, he sang his most beautiful song to get the creator’s attention. Rainbow Crow then informed the creator that the animals wanted the snow to go away, but the creator replied that the snow and ice were elements of their own and could not be destroyed.

Rainbow Crow then said that the animals of the earth would freeze to death. But the creator would not allow it. The creator created fire, and gave it to Rainbow Crow. After the creator gave Rainbow Crow the stick of fire, he warned the crow that the stick might burn out if he did not hurry back to earth.

On the long flight back to earth, the fire kept Rainbow Crow warm. But as the stick burned away, it charred his feathers. He even passed too close to the sun and burned his beautiful tail feathers! By the time he passed the moon, he did not have one beautiful feather left. His beautiful voice was gone before he touched earth.

The animals warmed themselves and rescued those that lay buried under the snow and ice. It was a time of rejoicing for the animals, but Crow stood on the sidelines, saddened by his loss of his beauty. Soon, he felt a breeze. He looked up and saw the creator standing before him.

“Don’t be sad,” said the creator. “The animals will honor your sacrifice.” The creator then made Crow’s feathers shimmer inside, and it made Crow very happy.

This story makes me remember that I should sacrifice for the greater good—not only to humankind, but to others, as well.

Other cultures view the Crow as a keeper of knowledge, while others think that one with this totem should listen to a Crow’s different calls to understand their meanings and use teamwork to help accomplish a goal—much like crows do when feeding (they always have a lookout).

“The striking black color of crow represents the color of creation. It is the womb out of which the new is born. Black the color of night gives birth to the light of a new day. Crow is a daytime bird reminding us that magic and creation are present in both. Their ability to shift between the known and unknown world indicates new journeys.”2

If you feel the Crow is your totem, you are encouraged to step outside your nest and do something for the greater good—no matter how small.

-----

Sources:
1 American Folklore
2 Sayahda

User Image
This is for the Ostara egg hunt, please don't remove.  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:41 pm
User Image

Beginner’s Witchcraft Article #2
Written by WelkingPath

In the last beginner article I talked about how many possibilities witchcraft has for everyone. It would be impossible to survey 100 witches and get the same answers for the same questions. So how do you know what is the right path for you? How do you know that your teacher (whether it’s me, a physical person, a book, or an internet source) isn’t bull shitting you?

One word: filter.

(Warning: From this point on, this article may cause you to challenge your current beliefs. Or, rather, it will if you’re doing it right. Take some time with this. Meditate on it, think about it, and print out the article if you have to. Just bear with me.)

Everyone knows what a basic filter is, right? It keeps wanted “stuff” in, but unwanted “stuff” out. No matter who you are, you need a filter.

I know, I know, you’re wondering: But what kind of filter?

A filter that will shift through all the information—true and false—that you are given. And not only about your religion, but also about the other aspects of your life.

So what is this filter?

It’s simple, really—to have a good filter, one must question everything. Questioning everything IS your filter.

Sounds simple, right? But not really. Even the most advanced witches have trouble with this. Why? one may ask. Because to truly question everything, one must take a step back and look at one’s past, morals, experiences, and even the most basic personal beliefs. One must question these as they stand.

Why do my morals exist? What good are they? Should I keep this moral? Should I keep this most simple, basic belief? What would happen if I didn’t? What would happen if I did? What would I do if someone came into my life and totally tore that belief apart? Would I stand by it, or would I be able to be open-minded enough to question that person’s point of view, as well?

Another way to think of this is 360 degree thinking. Pick an “object” (in this case, a moral, belief, or experience) and look at it from every angle possible. Do not let this “object” rest until you have covered every angle, every viewpoint, every question you see possible. It may help to discuss it with others—some that share your original viewpoint and even (or especially) some that don’t.

I once told a beginner this basic principle, and he said, “Why do you have to question everything?” After the initial laugh, I decided to answer him.

One must question everything to (like I said before) sift through all the crap that is out there. And it may not be crap to me, but it might be crap to you. As the saying goes, one person’s trash is another’s treasure.

Another reason is to see if your basic beliefs and principles make sense, or if they should be dispelled. It is natural for beliefs to change over time, but when one questions everything, one is more open-minded to change. And, trust me, sometimes change is good.

If you’re having any trouble with your filter, PM me or post an issue in the discussion forum. We’re here to help, even if that means debate, too.

My recommendation of the week: WitchVox. Here’s an article aimed at beginners: http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usct&c=words&id=2190 Start here, and then poke around. It’s a very helpful website, if you haven’t found it already.

May the road rise up to meet you, and the wind be at your back
Merry Part, until we meet again
Blessed Be  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:42 pm
User Image

Book Review - Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft
Provided by too2sweet

User Image

TitleITLE: Buckland’s Complete Book of Witchcraft
Author: Raymond Buckland
Pages: 346 pages
Year Published: 1986/2002

Synopsis (from the back cover): This classic text is the most complete self-study course in modern Wicca available, written by the author who first went public with “The Old Religion” in the United States. One of modern Wicca’s most recommended books, Buckland’s Complete Book of Witchcraft has been used by hundreds of covens to train new initiates and by thousands of solitaries looking for a detailed, step-by-step course in Witchcraft.

Review: My first impression is that he is trying too hard. I am a firm believer in quality over quantity, and while there quite a bit of information in this book…none of it is really in-depth. Since this is supposed to be more or less an “intro” book, then I guess it does indeed meet its intended purpose, but again I felt that there were some things that could have been left out, in favor of giving the readers more details on some of the more important aspects of the Craft. I think that part of the issue that I have is in the way the information is organized. Personally I might have divided the book into two separate parts. Part I, would have contained the basics of Witchcraft…what it is, Gods/Goddesses, casting a circle, ritual info, elements, Sabbats, etc… Part II would have contained all the other “occult” practices - channeling, numerology, palm reading, energy work, etc…The way the book is currently written, you have Dreams and Meditation mixed in with the Minor Sabbats, and Channeling mixed in with Rites of Passage. In general it’s like he was trying to cram in as much as he could that might be termed “witchcraft” into the book - even if it didn’t necessarily make sense to do so. I did like that he included sections on how to make your own tools, altar table and robes…definitely good to know if you are a crafty sort of person (although I caution anyone who decides to make their own stove top Athame to make sure you have parental consent). I also liked the end of chapter quizzes, which can be helpful when you are just starting out. I do have an issue with the fact that the book is being sold as “the most complete self-study course in modern Wicca”. If you notice…the book is called “…Complete Book of Witchcraft”, not “…Complete Book of Wicca”. There is a reason for that - quite a bit of what is in it doesn’t really have that much to do with the Wiccan religion. Wiccans use witchcraft but, as I have said many times, they are not the same thing. (also - Wicca isn’t an “old religion“…but that is an argument for another time) Over all it is a good book for those who are looking for a general overview of the basics and a preview of other practices within the “witchcraft” umbrella, but you will need other references if you want deeper insights into much of what he has presented.

About the Author: Raymond Buckland is generally known as one of the first people to introduce Wicca to the United States. He is the founder of Seax-Wica and is the author of more than 50 books on a variety of subjects related to the practice of Witchcraft. http://www.raybuckland.com/  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:44 pm
User Image

Crystals & Gemstones - Tiger's Eye
Written by dark_angel_32189

User Image

Color – Brown-yellow, pink, blue, red
Appearance – Banded, slightly shiny, often small and tumbled
Rarity – Easily obtained
Source – United States, Mexico, India, Australia, South Africa
Planet – Sun
Element – Fire
Powers – Money, protection, courage, energy, luck, divination

Did you know that Roman soldiers engraved Tiger’s Eye with protection symbols and wore them while they battled? Tiger’s Eye is a protective stone and can be used as a talisman to protect against ill wishing and curses.

If you are spaced out or uncommitted, then you might want to try placing one of these stones on your navel chakra. It’s also helpful in relieving oneself of psychological issues such as self-worth, self-criticism, and blocked creativity. It can also help in getting rid of depression.

If you want to enhance your psychic abilities, then place this stone on your third eye. Placing it on your third eye can also help to balance the lower chakras.
Judy Hall
Blue Tiger’s Eye is calming and releases stress. It aids the overanxious, quick-tempered, and phobic. In healing, Blue Tiger’s Eye slows the metabolism, cools an overactive sex drive, and dissolves sexual frustrations.

Gold Tiger’s Eye aids in paying attention to detail, warning against complacency. It assists in taking action from a place of reason rather than emotion. Gold Tiger’s Eye is an excellent companion for tests and important meetings.

Red Tiger’s Eye is a stimulating stone that overcomes lethargy and provides motivation. In healing, it speeds up a slow metabolism and increases a low sex drive.

-----

Sources:
The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic by Scott Cunningham  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:45 pm
User Image

The Rotation of the Elements
Written by Starlock

User Image

There is one - and only one - correct order for the four elements to go in if we're to be true to the Greek system. Much of this is intuitively evident to many; even for those who do not understand the meaning of the qualities or even that there are qualities. Common knowledge states that Fire opposes Water and Earth opposes Air.

So why is it that the most common Neopagan elemental attributions fly in the face of the intuitively obvious? The typical order one will encounter in the literature places opposing elements next to each other on natural cycles (like the seasons, times of day, etc): Air to Fire to Water to Earth. But Fire cannot be next to Water and Earth cannot be next to Air. This idea is even more strongly reinforced if one has an understanding of the Greek philosophical foundations of the four elements.

Aristotle states that the elemental contraries (that is, hot and cold, moist and dry) refused to be coupled, as mentioned in the last article. Second, he finds that elements transform from one to another through a sort of rotation whereby each element does not ordinarily change more than one of its qualities at a time. Thus in natural cycles, elemental opposites cannot be next to each other. The usual ordering of the elements by most Neopagans and occultists violates this premise.

Aristotle Wrote:
Quote:
Air . . . will result from Fire if a single quality changes; for Fire, as we saw, is hot and dry while Air is hot and moist, so there will be Air if the dry be overcome by moist. Again, Water will result from Air if the hot be overcome by cold; for Air, as we saw, is hot and moist while Water is cold and moist, so that, if the hot changes, there will be Water. So too, in the same manner, Earth will result from Water and Fire from Earth, since both tally with both. For Water is moist and cold while Earth is cold and dry -- so that, if the moist be overcome, there will be Earth; and again, since Fire is dry and hot while Earth is cold and dry, Fire will result from Earth if the cold passes away.

It is evident, therefore, that the coming-to-be of simple bodies will be cyclical; and that this method is easiest because the consecutive elements tally.

And such is the order of the elements in natural systems per Greek philosophy. The diagram above illustrates. The white circle with chevrons around the outside indicates the usual order of the rotation. Each element is nestled between the qualities it possesses, with the arrow pointing to its dominant quality. Air to Fire, Fire to Earth, Earth to Water, and Water to Air.

With the order set, the next task of discerning correspondences arises. We'll leave that on hold for a while; instead next time's article will be a surprise!

PRINCIPLE SOURCES
*** Oxford's Two Volume Set: The Complete Works of Aristotle. In particular, "On Generation and Corruption."
*** Opsopaus, John. Various essays.

A little note about my research.

I originally started on this research trek after reading Opsopaus' essays and wanting to verify his findings. After verifying the truth of his findings I became extremely curious as to where along the line the Greek elemental order of air-fire-earth-water became disrupted and why.

While I haven't analyzed this completely yet ('tis a big project) so far my initial suspicions appear to be correct; it's more modern in origin. The breakage occurs explicitly in Golden Dawn (a major source for Wiccan and Neopagan magical philosophy) though they may have gotten it from some earlier occult grimoires.

The moral of the story here is when doing research, always, always, always trace as far back to the primary source as possible to avoid repeating past mistakes.

And know the rules before you break the rules. =)

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:46 pm
User Image

Gods & Goddesses - Maat and Anubis

Maat
User Image

Maat is also known as Maati, Maet, Mait, Mayet, Maa, Maut, "Creator of Life", "Lady of the Judgement Hall", and "Goddess of Truth and Justice". She is the Goddess of truth, right, justice, law, final judgment of human souls, order, divine order, and reincarnation. She is the daughter of Ra and Thoth.

She is usually pictured wearing an ostrich feather on her head while standing or sitting on her heels and holding a scepter and ankh.

She is considered to be both the motivating force and the goal in life. Her law governed the three worlds and even the other gods had to obey. She is responsible for regulating the stars, the seasons, and the actions of both humans and gods.

Goddesses in World Mythology
In the Underworld, a figure of Maat or her feather is placed on the opposite side of the scale from the heart of the deceased. If the scale balances, the deceased is allowed to go on to the Elysian Fields. If not, he/she is given to Ammit to devour.

Anubis
User Image

Anubis is also known as Anpu, Sekhem Em Pet, "Protector of the Dead", "Guardian of Cemeteries", and "God of the Underworld". He is the b*****d son of Nephthys and Osiris. He is the God of wisdom, death, embalming, endings, truth, justice, surgery, finding lost things, hospital stays, medicine, journeys, protection, boats, diplomacy, astral travel, cemeteries, and guardian against lower astral entities.

He is usually pictured with the head of a jackal (or dog). Because black was believed to be a color associated with regeneration as the dark silt deposits left by the annual inundation breathed new life into soild, his skin was often pictured as being black to symbolize rebirth.

It's been said that during the Weighing of the Heart ceremony, Anubis often tipped the balance to give a favorable outcome to the deceased.

-----

Sources:
Goddesses in World Mythology by Martha Ann and Dorothy Myers Imel
Magick of the Gods and Goddesses by D.J. Conway
The Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt by Helen Strudwick
Ancient Egypt: Kingdom of the Pharaohs by R. Hamilton  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:47 pm
User Image

The Herb Garden - Honeysuckle
Written by Choir-Angel

User Image

Honeysuckle can be found almost anywhere during the spring. It's one of those plants you see and think how pretty it is, or about how yummy it tastes. But have you ever wondered what you can actually do with it? Honeysuckle leaves can be parboiled and eaten as a vegetable because it has so many vitamins! They're high in Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium. The buds and flowers can even be made into syrup or pudding. Among some of it's many medicinal uses, the stems can be used internally to treat acute rheumatoid arthritis, mumps, and hepatitis. The stems and flowers can be used together as an infusion in the treatment of upper respiratory tract infections, and dysentery. An infusion of the flower buds can be used to treat a wide range of ailments such as skin diseases, tumors, and colds. They can also be used as a medicinal wash to skin inflammations, rashes, and sores.

Magickally, honeysuckle has long been used in spells to do with love, infidelity, and confidence. Honeysuckle also attracts friends and is used for money, prosperity, and clairvoyance. To attract money, just place some honeysuckle in a vase or ring green candles with it. To heighten your psychic powers, lightly crush the fresh flowers and then rub on your forehead. To bring good luck to your home, you can grow honeysuckle around it, and to keep fevers at bay you can grow it over the door.

Folk Names: Dutch Honeysuckle, Goat's Leaf, Woodbine
Planet: Jupiter
Element: Earth
Powers: Money, Psychic Powers, Protection, Luck, Love, Confidence

----------

Sources:
http://www.altnature.com/gallery/Japanese_Honeysuckle.htm
http://www.pookachild.com/Magical Herbs.htm
Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:48 pm
User Image

Original Imbolc Article

Imbolc Ritual

First, set up your altar in a way that makes you happy, and brings to mind the themes of Imbolc. You'll also want to have on hand the following:
- Seven candles, in red and white (tealights are perfect for this)
- Something to light your candles with
- A large bowl or cauldron big enough to hold the candles
- Sand or salt to fill the bottom of the bowl/cauldron

Prior to beginning your ritual, take a warm, cleansing bath. While soaking, meditate on the concept of purification. Once you're done, dress in your ritual attire, and begin the rite.

If your tradition requires you to cast a circle, do so now.

Pour the sand or salt into the bowl or cauldron. Place the seven candles into the sand so they won't slide around. Light the first candle. As you do so, say:

Although it is now dark, I come seeking light.
In the chill of winter, I come seeking life.

Light the second candle, saying:

I call upon fire, that melts the snow and warms the hearth.
I call upon fire, that brings the light and makes new life.
I call upon fire to purify me with your flames.

Light the third candle. Say:

This light is a boundary, between positive and negative.
That which is outside, shall stay without.
That which is inside, shall stay within.

Light the fourth candle. Say:

Light the fifth candle, saying:

Like fire, light and love will always grow.
Like fire, wisdom and inspiration will always grow.

Light the sixth candle, and say:

Finally, light the last candle. As you do so, visualize the seven flames coming together as one. As the light builds, see the energy growing in a purifying glow.

Fire of the hearth, blaze of the sun,
cover me in your shining light.
I am awash in your glow, and tonight I am
made pure.

Take a few moments and meditate on the light of your candles. Think about this Sabbat, a time of healing and inspiration and purification. Do you have something damaged that needs to be healed? Are you feeling stagnant, for lack of inspiration? Is there some part of your life that feels toxic or tainted? Visualize the light as a warm, enveloping energy that wraps itself around you, healing your ailments, igniting the spark of creativity, and purifying that which is damaged.

When you are ready, you may choose to follow up with healing magic, or with a Cakes and Ale ceremony.

This ritual is credited to: PaganWiccan.about.com - Imbolc Article

----------

Discreet Ways to Celebrate Imbolc
- Place a lighted candle in each and every window of the house, beginning at sundown on Candlemas Eve (February 1), allowing them to continue burning until sunrise.
- Hold a candle-making party and then bless all the candles you'll be using for the whole year.
- Take a hike and Search for Signs of Spring.
- Decorate a plough and place it on your doorstep.
- Weave "Brigit's crosses" from straw or wheat to hang around the house for protection.
- Make a potpourri for Imbolc by taking a piece of fabric, filling with dried leaves, pine cones, and fruit peels. Tie with a ribbon.
- At sunset or just after ritual, turn on every lamp in the house -- if only for a few minutes.
- If snow lies on the ground outside, walk in it for a moment, recalling the warmth of summer. With your projective hand, trace an image of the sun on the snow.

Sources:
Imbolc Activities
Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham

----------

Imbolc Activity:

Brighid's Crosses
These crosses were exchanged as symbols of protection. They are easy to make and not at all time consuming.

Materials:
Dried Wheat Stalks
Brown Thread

Directions
Take eight stalks with sheaves still attached. Place four stalks on a flat surface with two sheaves at the top and two sheaves at the bottom. Measure approx. 6" of stalk between the sets of sheaves and cut off excess. Tie all four stalks together with the brown thread, first under the top sheaves, then above the bottom sheaves. Cut off excess thread. Repeat this procedure with the other four stalks, shortening the length between the sheaves to 4". Carefully separate the first set of stalks (two in front and two in back) and slip the second set through approx. 1" from the bottom of the top sheaves. Tie some thread in a knot just under the arms of the cross. Take the excess ends and diagonally wrap the thread over the opposite corresponding arm and back to the knot. Tie off in back and cut off excess ends.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:49 pm
User Image

Recipes - Honeysuckle
Provided by StrawberryDaifuku

Rubbing alcohol Tincture
Used it externally for insect bites and itchy skin.

Most tinctures are made for internal use (which you shouldn’t use unless you’re of age anyway), but PLEASE NOTE: This recipe is a rubbing alcohol preparation...for external use only! (so it is suitable for those under 21)

Harvest new honeysuckle vines, leaves and flowers. Chop and put them into a blender. Add just enough rubbing alcohol to cover. Pulse in the blender for a couple of minutes. Pour alcohol and honeysuckle mixture into jars. Cover. Shake once or twice daily for two weeks or longer. Strain and pour into clean jars. Cover and keep away from light.

For ease of application, store the season's juice in empty rubbing alcohol bottles (For longer term storage, the tincture goes into glass canning jars.)

----------

Honeysuckle throat syrup

Ingredients
* 2 cups honeysuckle fresh edible flowers (and leaves)
* 1 quart water
* 1 cup honey

Directions
1. Gather two cups of leaves and flowers from wild Honeysuckle vines (make sure they haven't been sprayed with pesticides).

2. Bring 1 quart of water to a boil and add the two cups of honeysuckle leaves. Gently simmer for 10 minutes and strain.

3. Add the "tea" back to the pot and add 1 cup of honey, bring to a boil and boil for one minute and remove from heat. Add any flavorings at this time to the syrup.

4. Store in fridge up to a month or freeze in small batches and take out what you need at one time.

*Makes 1 quart, dosage is 1 oz every two hours for ages 5 and up.  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:50 pm
User Image

Original Lammas Article

Lammas Ritual

What You Need:
A candle to represent the Harvest Mother
Stalks of wheat
A loaf of bread
Ritual wine (optional)

This ritual celebrates the beginning of the harvest season and the cycle of rebirth, and can be done by a solitary practitioner or adapted for a group or coven setting. Decorate your altar with symbols of the season -- sickles and scythes, garden goodies like ivy and grapes and corn, poppies, dried grains, and early autumn foods like apples. If you like, light some Lammas Rebirth incense.

Have a candle on your altar to represent the Harvest Mother -- choose something in orange, red or yellow. These colors not only represent the blaze of the summer sun, but also the coming changes of autumn. You'll also need a few stalks of wheat and an un-sliced loaf of bread (homemade is best, but if you can't manage, a store-bought loaf will do). A goblet of ritual wine is optional.

If your tradition requires you to cast a circle, do so now.

Light the candle, and say:
The Wheel of the Year has turned once more,
and the harvest will soon be upon us.
We have food on our tables, and
the soil is fertile.
Nature's bounty, the gift of the earth,
gives us reasons to be thankful.
Mother of the Harvest, with your sickle and basket,
bless me with abundance and plenty.

Hold the stalks of wheat before you, and think about what they symbolize: the power of the earth, the coming winter, the necessity of planning ahead. What do you need help planning right now? Are there sacrifices you should be making in the present that will be reaped in the future?

Rub the stalks between your fingers so a few grains of wheat fall upon the altar. Scatter them on the ground as a gift to the earth. If you're inside, leave them on the altar for now -- you can always take them outside later. Say:
The power of the Harvest is within me.
As the seed falls to the earth and is reborn each year,
I too grow as the seasons change.
As the grain takes root in the fertile soil,
I too will find my roots and develop.
As the smallest seed blooms into a mighty stalk,
I too will bloom where I landed.
As the wheat is harvested and saved for winter,
I too will set aside that which I can use later.

Tear off a piece of the bread. If you're performing this ritual as a group, pass the loaf around the circle so that each person present can take off a small chunk of bread. As each person passes the bread, they should say:
I pass to you this gift of the first harvest.

When everyone has a piece of bread, say:
As the grain dies, it transforms to bread,
and brings us life through the winter.
We bless this bread, and it blesses us in return,
and we are thankful for the gift of the harvest.

Everyone eats their bread together. If you have ritual wine, pass it around the circle for people to wash the bread down. Once everyone has finished their bread, take a moment to meditate on the cycle of rebirth and how it applies to your own life - physically, emotionally, spiritually. When you are ready, if you have cast a circle, close it or dismiss the quarters at this time. Otherwise, simply end the ritual in the manner of your tradition.

This ritual is credited to: PaganWicca.about.com - Lammas Ritual

----------

Discreet Ways to Celebrate Lammas
- Save and plant the seeds from the fruits consumed during the feast or ritual. If they sprout, grow the plant or tree with love and as a symbol of your connection with the Lord and Lady.
- Walk through the fields and orchards or spend time along springs, creeks, rivers, ponds and lakes reflecting on the bounty and love of the Lord and Lady.
- Offerings of bread can be offered to fairy folk, and left for wild animals.
- During this time you may wish to honor the pregnant Goddess, and the waning energy of the Sun God, as the sun begins to fade. You can honor them by leaving libations (offerings) of bread and cider.
- Bake some bread!! Freshly baked bread is still a central part of many Lammas celebrations.
- Celebrate the first harvest by eating a meal with foods of the season, such as grain and corn.
- Private Meditation on the meanings of the season.
- Give blood at a local blood bank, or even participate in a blood drive at a nearby school or hospital.
- Wheat weaving and the making of corn dollies is an appropriate activity.

Sources:
Imbolc Activities
Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham

----------

Lammas Activity

Corn Wheel
Lammas is the time of the first harvest, and grains, especially corn, are abundant. The eight ears of corn on this wreath represent the eight sabbats. The shucks look like the rays of the sun, a very fitting symbol of the season.

Materials:
a round wire or other hoop on which to build the wreath
8 ears of corn of equal length -- dried or fresh
cardboard
a short piece of ribbon or twine (for hanger)
glue
florists wire (optional)

Directions:
Fashion a round hoop wide enough to accommodate the length of two ears of corn. Using ribbon or twine, form a loop to serve as a hanger. Tie or glue this securely to the hoop.

Position the eight ears of corn inside the circle, paying close attention to the illustration. Be sure to keep the hanger/ribbon positioned at the top of the wreath.

Tie or wrap the corn shucks around the hoop. (They can be held in place with florists wire, if need be.) Use stray ends of the shucks to cover the hoop completely. (If using dried corn, the shucks should have been soaked in water before starting.) Use florists wire to keep the shucks in place.

Cut a small, round piece of cardboard. Lay the wreath on the table and position the cardboard circle in the middle of the hoop. Using a glue gun or some other fast drying glue, adhere the tips of the ears to the cardboard circle on the BACK SIDE of the wreath, being careful that the cardboard is not obvious from the front. You may want to cut out the middle of the cardboard circle so it can not easily be seen from the front.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:51 pm
User Image

Meditation - A Lammas Meditation
Provided by too2sweet

Find a quiet place where you can relax undisturbed...make yourself comfortable. If you feel the need you can cast a circle or create a sacred/protective space. Whatever works best for you. If you want you can make a tape of yourself to guide you or simply memorize the basics of the meditation. Begin whenever you feel ready.

A Lammas Meditation

It is a warm August afternoon, comfortably warm but not too hot. The few clouds in the sky are light, no hint of an August thunderstorm. You can hear birds singing as you crest the hill in front of you. The walk up the hill reminds you of all you have achieved so far this year, from Yule, through to Litha, how you have changed, and overcome obstacles, even as you have climbed this hill.

As you crest the hill, you see that there is a valley before you. It is a pleasant looking scene, fields of grain, cattle and sheep grazing, faint sounds of chatter, and laughter. A few children appear to be playing in the stream running past the houses. It seems a pleasant place, perhaps somewhere to stop for the night. As you walk down the hill, you notice that a fair few of the people living in this valley appear to have been working to complete the harvest of one of the grain fields.

The field has been cut traditionally, in a inward-moving spiral, until just the last sheaf of corn remains standing. As you draw up to the edge of the field, one of the people turns to you.

“Stranger, would you care to make the final cut, in sacrifice to the spirits for their bounty this harvest.”

The villager’s words strike you as formal, almost as part of a ritual, which it may well be for them. The other people in the field turn to face you, and you are struck by the fact that they are all clothed in a similar fashion, but that each person has a half-mask, covering their faces. You cannot tell from the villager’s voice whether this person is male or female.

You leave your pack at the edge of the field and walk towards the group. They part to allow you into their midst, and you gaze down at the corn still standing. “A sacrifice”, the villager called it. “A sacrifice to the spirits for the bounty of the harvest”.

Another villager speaks: “The spirits have been generous with us. We are new come to this land, and we did not know whether it would be a land of plenty or a land of famine.”

A third villager also speaks: “It is a different land from the one we had left behind. We left family, and old friends. Some said that we were foolish to make that step, leaving behind the old and familiar, for something new and unfamiliar.”

The second villager speaks again: “But it seemed to be a good decision. And now the spirits have demonstrated their bounty. Our crops have been good, our livestock have prospered.”

The first villager speaks to you directly, in contrast to the others, who were addressing the whole group.

“So, stranger, but welcome guest also: will you join with us in our thanksgiving? It has been our tradition to give the spirits of the land a home in which to overwinter, that their bounty might continue over the forthcoming years.”

It seems to you that this is also a time for you to give your thanks. Like them, you made a change to your life, which you hope has been for the better. You hope … your choice of words surprises you. But like these people, you dealt with the lingering doubts, and this was the right choice for you.

The first villager hands you a scythe. It is a formidible implement, and you realise that it is a tool with which you have no experience. You feel a slightly wild urge to giggle inananely. They had made it seem so easy as they had made their harvest, the easy rhythm of their movements, but not a movement that you can imitate or can you? You wonder to where your confidence of earlier has gone. What if I slip? This is a sharp blade. This is not supposed to be literal sacrifice, but a symbolic act. You touch the blade, and your finger stings, verifying the sharpness of this tool which is also a weapon.

“This too is part of our Rites.” Says the first villager. “It is only meet that you realise that there are things for which you may not be prepared. There are still things to learn, and patterns of behaviour that you will have to change, even as we, and countless others, have done when making a decision that affects our lives.”

The villager’s words make you think further. You have made changes, it is true. But as your crisis of confidence over the scythe has demonstrated, there is still more to learn, and still old habits that you might need to alter.

The villagers around you take a couple of steps back, leaving you standing there near the final sheaf, holding the scythe.

“Stranger, will you make the cut?” They chorus

Their words seem to echo in your head. Will you, will you not? When you entered the field, it seemed so clear, but now you have in your hands a tool that could cause you harm. Is your contribution to this simple ritual too much to ask. Previous crisis seem to bubble up in your mind, and unbidden, they seem as thunderclouds on that previously clear day.

It comes to you then that at this juncture, this is a time of sacrifice. Sharp as the scythe is, and as capable of causing serious injury it may be, that is not its purpose here. Even as it is being used in this harvest, in this celebration of the sacrifice offered in the bounty of the land, it is a reminder to you of things you have changed and put aside in choosing this path.

"This is the way of sacrifice."

You hear the words of the first villager. "Our sacrifice is not a time of death. It is a time of life. We partake in a sharing of the bounty around us, but to do so, we must each give of our own effort, of our own time, to the benefit of others."

The villager pauses. "Ask yourself what have you given of yourself, that the world around you may thrive, and may continue to offer you of its bounty."

You rest the blade of the scythe on the ground, as you consider the villager's words. What have you given of yourself? Have you chosen this path with all due care, or because it seemed like an easy route? Are you prepared to sacrifice a part of yourself, even as the God and Goddess give of their bounty so that we might all live?

Pause as you consider the nature of your own sacrifice and the harvest to which it leads you.

As your thoughts bring you back to this place, you recall your choices, for good or for ill, they are the choices you have made. From those choices stem the harvest that you will reap here today. Mayhap it is not the harvest for which you hoped, but it might be. You realise that this is the lesson of this encounter.

"Child of the Goddess and the God, you know your choice, and you know your harvest. It is meet that you should know us too." The second villager speaks.

As the mask is removed, you realise that you are looking at yourself. All around you, the villagers are you, all the different aspects of your personality that make you who you are. You realise that you are but at the start of your understanding of the nature of sacrifice. As you swing the scythe, and make the final cut, you know that this sacrifice is but one of many that you will make. But even as you gather up the grain, and form the final sheaf, you know that you will always carry the God and the Goddess within you as you journey. You are not alone.

----------

This meditation is credited to: Seven Trees  

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

Blessed_Scribe
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:51 pm
User Image

Mythical Creatures - The Unicorn

User Image

The most common image of the unicorn is that of a white horse with a single horn centered in the middle of its forehead. However, there are other descriptions of the unicorns appearance; such as the description on Wikipedia: "The traditional unicorn has a billy-goat beard, a lion's tail, and cloven hooves—these distinguish it from a horse." Pliny (a Roman naturalist) described the unicorn as "a very ferocious beast, similar in the rest of its body to a horse, with the head of a deer, the feet of an elephant, the tail of a boar, a deep, bellowing voice, and a single black horn, two cubits* in length, standing out in the middle of its forehead." Some people believed that the unicorn's horn was movable, but only at the will of the animal, while others believed that all of the unicorn's strength was in its horn. Pliny also claimed that the unicorn could not be taken alive, which is now believed to have just been an excuse for why men never successfully brought a unicorn into the arena.

Unicorns are believed to be lovers of purity and innocence; and could thus only be caught by a virgin. Once hunters discovered this, they brought a young virgin to a field and placed her in the way of a unicorn. Once the unicorn saw her, he approached her with reverence and fell asleep with his head in her lap. Once the unicorn was asleep the virgin signaled the hunters who then captured the animal.

Leonardo da Vinci
The unicorn, through its intemperance and not knowing how to control itself, for the love it bears to fair maidens forgets its ferocity and wildness; and laying aside all fear it will go up to a seated damsel and go to sleep in her lap, and thus the hunters take it.

-----

Sources:
Wikipedia
Bulfinch's Mythology published by Gramercy Books

-----

*1 cubit = 45.72 centimeters  
The Blessed Be Newstand - - [guild newspapers] - - FEBRUARY 2013 NOW AVAILABLE!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games