Reply Advice
I'm losing my faith

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MaidenMarian

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:46 pm
I decided to post in this guild, because I really need advice.

For the past months, I've really been losing my faith. I was born Christian, but I always had doubts because I'm an analytical person, and always had the question "What if God doesn't exist?"

But that scared me, so I refused to think on it.

But now...I've been thinking like that more and more lately. So much, that the thought has taken over my life. I'm scared to think that God doesn't exist, because that would mean heaven doesn't exist and that would mean that someone that I loved who died wouldn't be there.

And that thought keeps haunting me, so much that now I'm paranoid to walk out the door in the morning in a world where god doesn't exist and it all ends when you die.

I just don't know, but I keep praying to God to help me find him again, and he doesn't answer. I keep trying to believe, but those "logical" doubts keep coming back in and telling me that its possible he couldn't exist, and I want to believe in him, and find some evidence that he's there and listening to me, but I can't.

Please someone help. I just need to find a way back to God, and back to believing in my faith.

~ KitUser Image

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:23 am
I think there must be a god, it isn't very hard to come to that conclusion when we look at our selves and the world. Go to http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aiia/questions-for-skeptics.html
the whole site looks pretty good and I have found some good stuff there.
In some ways, God is silent most of the time, he doesn't come into your bedroom, sit on your bed an answer your questions. However, he will lead your heart and mind if you trust in him, and sometimes more then that. Don't be disappointed if you feel lost and alone, God is still there, life can not be easy, a world filled with sin just doesn't work that way. I'd suggest reading you Bible A lot. Also see if you can get one with a good commentary, that brings up the original Greek and Hebrew. Also find someone who knows God and the Bible very well, maybe a pastor [though just because someone is the head of a church does not mean they will give you good information] and have a good long talk about your specific doubts and fears.  

Milky-Antler

Conservative Lunatic

8,600 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100

rillegas08

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:35 pm
I'd like to know what you mean by "born Christian". I think I have an idea, but I'd like your interpretation of the phrase.  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:34 am
MaidenMarian

For the past months, I've really been losing my faith. I was born Christian, but I always had doubts because I'm an analytical person, and always had the question "What if God doesn't exist?"

But now...I've been thinking like that more and more lately. So much, that the thought has taken over my life. I'm scared to think that God doesn't exist, because that would mean heaven doesn't exist and that would mean that someone that I loved who died wouldn't be there.

And that thought keeps haunting me, so much that now I'm paranoid to walk out the door in the morning in a world where god doesn't exist and it all ends when you die.

I just don't know, but I keep praying to God to help me find him again, and he doesn't answer. I keep trying to believe, but those "logical" doubts keep coming back in and telling me that its possible he couldn't exist, and I want to believe in him, and find some evidence that he's there and listening to me, but I can't.

Please someone help. I just need to find a way back to God, and back to believing in my faith.

~ KitUser Image

The only path to truth is experiance
look around you
open yourself to the world
and find your own path

when you find truth who knows where you will be
perhaps the path to truth will lead you back to God  

lordstar

Ricette

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:58 pm
I understand what you are going through. I was born into a Roman Catholic family. Though they didn't keep to it much. I myself left Christianity as a whole because I myself am very analytical and logical. I turned to other faiths, explored and formed my own beliefs. Now, you want to renew and get your faith in "God" stronger. Best advice is to do soul searching. It helps a lot. I myself never returned to any form of Christianity but I now others who did after it. Yes the analytical side of you will try to ruin your beliefs, but, it might help to pray to "God" to give you strength and help you through your crisis of faith. It will grow again I am sure. And if "God" turns out to be non-existent, that does not automatically veto the existence of an afterlife or heaven. After all, there are other religions that don't worship "God" that have afterlilfes. smile

It will work out. Always does.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:08 pm
lordstar
MaidenMarian

~ KitUser Image

look around you
and find your own path

Au contrare, the only path to truth is experience through the Bible. Without the Bible, experiences confuse the finder more than they were were before they started looking. It's like Bible prophecy: if people don't use the Bible as the source of all or most of their ideals, they will become confused as to what the Bible really says. That's why William Miller and several others (including me), twice predicted the wrong day Jesus would return. They forgot that no one knows the day nor the hour of His return (Matthew 24:36, 50; 25:13; Mark 13:32; Luke 12:46). They didn't use the Bible to confirm their dates; therefore, they were wrong about the date Jesus would return.  

rillegas08

divineseraph

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:41 pm
Now this is a concern I can feel for.

I like to remember the prophets- Moses and Abraham and Jesus and Mohammed to name a few- all historically accounted for, all telling of similar ideas and visions.

Also, think of complexity in nature- Hydrogen bonding, for example, just happens to exist with just the right tension and hold to allow plants to absorb water.

Water can be seen as a reference to God- You have hydrogen, present in acids, as an extreme. The most powerful acids are usually the ones with the closest composition to hydrogen (HCl for example, is hydrochloric acid- just hydrogen and chlorine.)

Hydroxide is present in bases, as hydrogen is present in acids. The chemical name of hydroxide is OH. What happens when the two combine? HOH, or H2O- Water. Conveniently, a perfectly neutral, non-corrosive liquid which is, as we know, required for life. The Alpha and the Omega, destructive on their own, combine to create life. What a clever guy God is, leaving references in our drinks.

That is only one specific detail of convenient coincidence. The universe, a concoction of lucky chances, literally infinite odds against existence, a cosmic lottery, while not evidence or proof of anything, is rather reassuring to me, at least.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:38 pm
rillegas08
lordstar
MaidenMarian

~ KitUser Image

look around you
and find your own path

Au contrare, the only path to truth is experience through the Bible. Without the Bible, experiences confuse the finder more than they were were before they started looking. It's like Bible prophecy: if people don't use the Bible as the source of all or most of their ideals, they will become confused as to what the Bible really says. That's why William Miller and several others (including me), twice predicted the wrong day Jesus would return. They forgot that no one knows the day nor the hour of His return (Matthew 24:36, 50; 25:13; Mark 13:32; Luke 12:46). They didn't use the Bible to confirm their dates; therefore, they were wrong about the date Jesus would return.
No they just thought they were above the lord and thought they could try and get around the stickler "thou shalt not know the hour and day of my coming." Simple.  

Ricette

rillegas08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:04 am
Ricette
rillegas08
lordstar
MaidenMarian

~ KitUser Image

look around you
and find your own path

No they just thought they were above the lord and thought they could try and get around the stickler "thou shalt not know the hour and day of my coming." Simple.

I feel I should make myself clear here: When I thought I could predict the day of Christ's return, I didn't know the verses I mentioned before. I was foolish and prideful.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:28 am
Mohammed was not a Judeo-Christian prophet. He told similar stories to the Judeo-Christian prophets because he asked Jews the stories to put in the Qu'ran. Mohammed wasn't even literate. Mohammed believed Allah was the same God as YHWH, but he is not. Mohammed lived a life that pleased himself. Allah is not even a consistent god, and there is only one way to be in Paradise with him: be in his favor, and even the Qu'ran says that no one knows the will of Allah because he is a distant god.

YHWH is not Allah. YHWH wants us to have a personal relationship with Him. We can know Him because the Bible reveals God to be a loving and compassionate, merciful, and holy Judge. Judeo-Christian prophets could perform signs that proved they were prophets, and even Mohammed admitted he couldn't perform signs. YHWH is a consistent God because He never changes. If He did, He wouldn't be God. Like Allah, there is only one Way to Him, Jesus Christ. All the Judeo-Christian prophets lived lives that were mostly pleasing to God.

This is the truth: God is holy, and we are not. We cannot, under any circumstances, make ourselves holy. We are separated from God. But God provided a way to live in Heaven with Him. His sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins. Through Christ's death, if we only confess with our mouth that Jesus is God and believe in our hearts that God raised Jesus up from the dead because the atoning sacrifice was made, we are made holy. We can live with God; the Almighty wants to be your friend. This is the truth. This is the Gospel.  

rillegas08

divineseraph

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:57 am
rillegas08
Mohammed was not a Judeo-Christian prophet. He told similar stories to the Judeo-Christian prophets because he asked Jews the stories to put in the Qu'ran. Mohammed wasn't even literate. Mohammed believed Allah was the same God as YHWH, but he is not. Mohammed lived a life that pleased himself. Allah is not even a consistent god, and there is only one way to be in Paradise with him: be in his favor, and even the Qu'ran says that no one knows the will of Allah because he is a distant god.

YHWH is not Allah. YHWH wants us to have a personal relationship with Him. We can know Him because the Bible reveals God to be a loving and compassionate, merciful, and holy Judge. Judeo-Christian prophets could perform signs that proved they were prophets, and even Mohammed admitted he couldn't perform signs. YHWH is a consistent God because He never changes. If He did, He wouldn't be God. Like Allah, there is only one Way to Him, Jesus Christ. All the Judeo-Christian prophets lived lives that were mostly pleasing to God.

This is the truth: God is holy, and we are not. We cannot, under any circumstances, make ourselves holy. We are separated from God. But God provided a way to live in Heaven with Him. His sent His Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins. Through Christ's death, if we only confess with our mouth that Jesus is God and believe in our hearts that God raised Jesus up from the dead because the atoning sacrifice was made, we are made holy. We can live with God; the Almighty wants to be your friend. This is the truth. This is the Gospel.

Allah is YHWH because Mohammed believed so. Otherwise, what was he worshiping? If you worship Jesus and God, but slaughter lambs in your basement and draw pentagrams with their blood to curse your enemies, you're still worshiping YHWH. You may be doing it wrong, but it's still the same God you're appealing to.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:12 am
rillegas08

I'm sorry but, how ingrained is it into your system of the whole "The bible is the truth?"
I just wanna know.
And if that is the case of we can never be holy, where do any of us get off on creating bishops, cardinals, preachers, reverends, popes, and such? And saints? What about saints? The Catholic church canonizes certain people and turn em into saints, and those end up being very holy people.  

Ricette

lordstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:55 pm
rillegas08
lordstar
MaidenMarian

~ KitUser Image

look around you
and find your own path

I would say the Bible was created by man as a tool to manipulate a population through lies and that the only purpose for such text is to confuse the finder more and more...but what do I know right...a non-believer like me couldn't be right on any point...not even close right...right...right  
Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games