Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply {::The Official DeviantArt Guild::}
"Orphaned Work" - This is not funny, not funny to the least. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CafeOrchid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:56 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
[ ___ ! ! " * « & ♪ c h e e r f u l a n g e l <3 » ;; ]

I only just found this out a few minutes ago, and it ******** PISSES ME OFF! In five words, this is what the whole crisis is about: Art Theft Is Made Legal. fjesanfkl;ewjiornklvhjseiofjso!! D<

Quote:
An Orphaned Work is any creative work of art where the artist or copyright owner has released their copyright, whether on purpose, by passage of time, or by lack of proper registration. In the same way that an orphaned child loses the protection of his or her parents, your creative work can become an orphan for others to use without your permission.

http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=Columns&article_no=3605&page=1
^ it explains a lot more in depth than I can possibly explain, so read! ^

Other Links:
http://news.deviantart.com/article/46388/ - one of the news articles on dA
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/posting.php?mode=edit&p=149516786

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:49 pm
What in the hell is this?! No way. uh-uh. Honestly, I'm not one to contact my legislators and/or representatives for anything, but after I finish posting this, I'm going to write a letter and send it to anyone and everyone of those people in office. That's absolute bull.

And then I'm going to post this on another site I frequent. This is war.

Art is my therapy that I don't have to pay for. I will kill anyone who takes it away from me.

WoodSorrelWitch

Z741
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:28 pm
Yeesh, was going to post this in an announcement, but.. suppose I've been beaten to the punch sweatdrop

Anyways, to add to this thread... super summarization skills~! scream

A bill is out that would lead to the majority of online artwork to be referred to as "Orphaned Artwork" - your copyright is null for the [silly] reason that you aren't easily contacted to verify that it actually IS your artwork - if such a law is passed, your rights to your artwork will be severely diminished. In addition, if you go to court for those same copyrights, it'll be even harder to regain your art rights.

Hope my edit on this helps some ^^;; And signed~!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:18 pm
Z741
Yeesh, was going to post this in an announcement, but.. suppose I've been beaten to the punch sweatdrop

Anyways, to add to this thread... super summarization skills~! scream

A bill is out that would lead to the majority of online artwork to be referred to as "Orphaned Artwork" - your copyright is null for the [silly] reason that you aren't easily contacted to verify that it actually IS your artwork - if such a law is passed, your rights to your artwork will be severely diminished. In addition, if you go to court for those same copyrights, it'll be even harder to regain your art rights.

Hope my edit on this helps some ^^;; And signed~!

Ahh, good summary.
I made a topic on the GD and it has generated mostly very good results. It seems quite a few more people know of this now biggrin
If you wanna read it: Art Theft is Bullshit  

CafeOrchid

Katsu Kumori

Profitable Entrepreneur

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:34 pm
Yeah, I read about that in someone's journal today. Man, that ticks me off!
Though it's so rediclous I cant' imagine it passing. If it does...I'll have lost my faith in a lot of things. *shakes head sadly*  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:06 pm
No kidding. The fact that the private sector managed to get a second version of this in the process after the first failed is just plain wrong.  

Z741
Vice Captain

Dark Mage Sabrina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:10 pm
wow...I want to look into that more...  
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:34 pm
I swear upon everything that is holy, if someone steals my art, I will kill you. ninja pirate ninja pirate scream scream stressed stressed  

RohanSpartan

Barton Elder

6,250 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

oO Starling Oo
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:30 pm
User Image

Orphans my a**! If I birthed it it's mine, if I drew it it's mine.
Same principle!
User Image

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:15 pm
You know guys, that bill doesn't affect Canada. There's lots o' places to live here too! MOVE HERE! << Darn US trying to steal art legally. Pffft.  

Musical Lesbianism

Z741
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:29 am
Musical Lesbianism
You know guys, that bill doesn't affect Canada. There's lots o' places to live here too! MOVE HERE! << Darn US trying to steal art legally. Pffft.

I'm thinking it's more to do with the politicians who still have their heads stuck up their arses, rather than the country as a whole. neutral  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:14 pm
Yeah, I heard about this too. Had a friend show me a print out of the Mark Simon article. I tried getting some opinions on it, but the first person I asked who knew about it said for me not to worry... that Mark Simon apparently spoke falsly in the article.
One article on deviantart clears this up: http://news.deviantart.com/article/46420/
I haven't really seen anything outside of what Mark Simon wrote other than his article on Animation World and people's responses to it.
But I don't really know this for sure. If they start talking about Orphan Works on T.V. or in the newspaper and they mention its something that puts an artist's works at risk of being stolen then I think that is the time to take action.

MysticErin

Aged Conventioneer

5,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500

99 broken hearts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:48 pm
I've heard about that a couple of months ago. Five the deviants I watch were complaining about it. I do agree, THAT'S NOT RIGHT!!!!  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:15 pm
It's not going to happen. Its done and over with.
This has failed to pass. We are ok. It would be all over the news by now if it was passed. Its way over the months since it was supposed to be passed. In this case it has and will not be passed.

Heh. If this were to happen water marks would become your best freinds. XP  

chronos phantom

Arec_Adelaide

5,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:28 pm
OMG I would have cried if this did come to pass. But seriously, that would be a disgrace to every artist and not just those online. How could someone even think to pass this?!?! scream  
{::The Official DeviantArt Guild::}

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff