Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gathering of Adult Friends

Back to Guilds

A place for the old folks to hang out and chat about anything and everything. 

Tags: adult, friends, eighteen, discussion, adults 

Reply Rant, Gripe, b***h, & Vent
For love the love of Christ...

Quick Reply

Submit

Whine?
  Cheese, please!
View Results

Devil Winged Angil

6,400 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:44 pm
My son is a whiner. I hate it. It makes me INSANE. He was doing it earlier this evening when I told him to turn off the Wii. I was doing dishes and he kept asking me to help him with his game which is not usually an issue. Except that'd I'd just spent an hour helping him and told him that I would not be able to help anymore.

Then it began. The tears, the sobbing, the yelling back, eyerolling and everything he could think of to get his way.

Now I'm not saying that I didn't start the seed of this behavior in him. I probably did when he was younger and would just have to pout to get his way (I spoiled him alot before his sisters came along). Over the years however I've been reasonable about it.

Now I'm just plain sick of it. He whines about everything. I don't yell at him when he starts. I don't call him a baby. I just tell him to leave the room until he can come back and talk to me, not whine to me.

Anyone have any other ideas/solutions that I can use to correct this attitude before I no longer have any hair left?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:56 pm
It's about time we all get out

Not having kids of my own, I can't really say what might work best based on experience, but the most effective solution I've seen, if he plays games a lot, is to take them away. Yeah, he'll probably whine about that, too, but as long as you explain that as long as he keeps whining, he won't be getting them back. He should learn pretty quickly.

and vote for love.  

Endrael
Captain

Devil Winged Angil

6,400 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:02 am
Endrael Wrote:
It's about time we all get out

Not having kids of my own, I can't really say what might work best based on experience, but the most effective solution I've seen, if he plays games a lot, is to take them away. Yeah, he'll probably whine about that, too, but as long as you explain that as long as he keeps whining, he won't be getting them back. He should learn pretty quickly.

and vote for love.

His Wii time is the first thing to go when he starts misbehaving. Of course, it doesn't seem to have any effect. I guess he's just that hardheaded. smilies/icon_3nodding.gif  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:19 pm
Because the fact my daughter is so young might be why I don't have such a hard time. When she starts to whine I just tell her to go lay down and cry she normally does right where she is standing I let her haver her fit but I ignore it and she tires of it. It's very hard cause sometimes I just wanna hold her and tell her to have whatever she wants but I don't(the bf makes sure of that when he is home). If she doesn't stop then she loses things(tv toys ect) she gets the idea after awhile or forgets why she was pouting in the first place. It takes time and is very hard at first but there's not much else to do  

Tiyena

7,650 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

polkaroo79

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:40 pm
Somebody gonna get a-hurt real bad...

Just kidding. Kind of...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:28 pm
i spent a few years studying child development and related things in school. the best thing to do, from what i've been taught is what you are doing. staying calm, and when he comes in whining, or when he's whining from anywhere. tell him you can't talk to him until he can calmly tell you what's wrong. the other thing that might work is something like a time out. works best if there is a room with no tv, no toys and no people going in and out. if his whining is out of control make him sit in there for a while. well, i guess i don't know how old your son is, if he's older it wouldn't work.

one other solution i have if he is old enough, give him chores or if he already has them, give him more chores when he whines. hard work will make him think twice about whining.  

tiny aphrodite

Ellavemia

7,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Whining drives me nuts. I don't have any kids but I like watching Supernanny and I think you might be able to get some good tips from that show if you'd check it out.

She (Jo) mainly ignores the whining and puts them in a naughty chair or something. If they come out she puts them back but she never says a word, just ignores them. Eventually they stop because they aren't getting the attention they are after.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:53 pm
Sometimes when our daughter is engaging in fake crying to get her way, we tell her to cry louder and harder. Cry as hard and as loudly as you can. See just how hard you can cry. She'll usually say she can't do that, or that it would be silly, and it puts an end to it. We also tell her that crying will not get her what she wants, so if she wants to expend the energy go ahead, but she'd be better off doing (insert something here) than wasting her time, and then we walk away.  

Lycanthropos

Partying Reveler

frogprincess007

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:07 pm
my 8 year old daughter is the same way. she whines like there is no tomorrow and now her little sister is copying her. sometimes they start at the same time and i can't help but laugh and ask them if they are starting a new musical group. needless to say my oldest looks at me funny and walks away. she tends to obsess about video games as well. our only solution was to time it to the minute. at first she was difficult, but i threated to make her sell it on e-bay *i used to sell books, etc. for about a year*. i so happend to be posting on e-bay when she did it the last time. somehow she magically calmed down...hmmmmm  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:40 am
My daughter (6yrs) is a big whiner too. It makes me crazy. Doesn't help that her little brother recently started this habit of hitting her when they have disagreements. (Not that she won't hit back or anything.) I've resorted to time outs to stop it but it drives me crazy. Sometimes when I tell them to go to their room they just totally ignore me and I have to carry them up the stairs kicking and screaming the whole way. Oh, and it also doesn't help that my daughter has some sort of problem (hasn't been diagnosed yet) with her ability to communicate and process language. I know that she understands a lot of what I'm saying now compared to before and she's able to speak well enough to tell me what she wants and communicate her feelings, but some stuff just flies right over her head and sometimes I think she's whining because she's frustrated that I don't understand what she really wants to say.  

Nemone

Timid Sex Symbol

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Pet Lover 100

Nocturnal Coffee Maker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:03 pm
This is going to sound crazy, but sometimes when my daughter is throwing a fit, I say "Hey, can I join in too?" and then I lay on the floor and start throwing a fake tantrum. It really takes her power away. "Mommy! You're making me mad!" Then she goes upstairs and throws a tantrum by herself. I think they see just how rediculous it looks to throw a hissy fit and give up. Also ignoring the tantrums works too.  
Rant, Gripe, b***h, & Vent

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games