Submit

Neonkyat

Dangerous Prophet

3,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:19 am
Okay so i wanted to open a conversation about something but i wasn't sure what to put it under. Please move it if it's in the wrong place ^^;
----

Okay, my main question/thought was this:

Can or should you make things you use for divination and what not out of unconventional materials?

Such as: Runes made of model magic (that crayola clay that dries in the air)

I mean some things you can't really mess up (like homemade Tarot cards) but what about the runes? And things like a besom or a pentacle?

I brought up Model magic because it's one of the only things i have at hand XD and i really would like to use it up and stuff. I also have regular bake-clay but that can get kinda risky because i can burn them or under cook --- AND i dunno if i have enough to make all the runes...

Anyway. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts about it ^^

~Ed heart  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:29 am
Perhaps make a beginners set out of the model magic; and then when its possible try for a set made out of natural materials.

While you can make tools out of anything; I think they will have more power if made out of natural Mother Gaia items. Though being handmade, they will have your personal power in them anyway. smile

edited to correct some spelling; I was in a hurry earlier. lol  

Deletemeplease80

Ru Aear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:09 pm
I agree with Kareena. Personally, I am like those birds that steal your jewlery. I love shiny/ pretty things, and when it comes to making stuff, I get creative and use what feels right, maybe a piece of blue glass, or matallicy ribbon or something. It still feels like an extension of me, so.. why not?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:21 pm
Ah cool ^-^ I figured it would be okay x3

I guess i just have to get creative with stuff :3 Which is ~no~ problem with me most of the time. So, yay! Baby runes outta model magic clay x3 this outta be fun. I'll post pics when i eventually get to make them. :3  

Neonkyat

Dangerous Prophet

3,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Bridget_Cross

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:21 pm
i make everything i have! my rines are from random little rocks in my yard, and i just drew in them , my wand is made out of this stick from the woods, with a quartz glued at the end, my pentacle is a little square tile with a pentacle drawn on it, with me it's besically try to get your hands on whatever feels right domokun  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:27 pm
I think that you should try to keep to semi-natural materials, but my rune sets (I have two) are made of blue goldstone (It's man made but just so BEAUTIFUL) and glass.

I have, however, made my wand from mostly natural materials. I used a little bake-clay for extension, to use as a handle though, and wrapped it in craft leather with a pearl at the bottom. It has a slight twist at the top that I am continually working on finishing lol.

I also have a larger branch (we live around lots of trees, and branches fall from the poor things all the time) I am going to make a small staff out of when I get more sandpaper to take the bark off. It's got a very nice knot/split at the top and I wanna embed some sort of stone in it.  

Flying Dicks

Mega Sex Symbol

7,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100

Funa Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:45 pm
Closed umbrellas don't make bad energy directing tools, even if that was only temporary.

I don't see a problem with model magic if you don't.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:49 pm
I think you're allowed to make your tools out of whatever you have at hand. I don't think it really matters, honestly, any more than you want it to.  

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

Starlock

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:08 pm
#1 consideration for choosing materials: the mundane concern of if those materials are physically suited for what you want them for. Making a rune set out of slips of paper that you plan on using for a long time wouldn't be the best idea from the bin. Or if you plan on using them in the bathtub, you might want something that floats rather than sinks.

Personally, I wouldn't make a rune set out of model magic. Sculpey or Fimo, perhaps. But not model magic. Wood ones are so easy to make though that I can't quite justify using a more refined material when using a raw material is significantly easier.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:40 am
anything will serve its purpose really, just something that is more "special" to you will have more energy. natural materials will have an energy charge from its surroundings. if something is special to you you will be adding energy into it from your thoughts/feelings of it. I saw somewhere where someone uses an old butter knife for their athame, they have a nice decorated knife.....but the butter knife just felt more special to them.

I'm not entirely sure what my pentagram charm on my necklace it made of (I think pewter or stainless), but I made my necklace myself which adds a lot of energy to it, plus the fact that there are a lot of stones in it except one bead.....I mixed up a glass one with my garnet.... redface I have a scan of it on my profile if you want to see it ^_^ need to take a picture of it sometime sweatdrop

back on subject. if you do have more natural materials to use, use them though, they will also have some of their own energies to add....at least more recognizeable ones.....not sure what the properties of model magic is, if it even has any. if you want to make runes, all you need to do is get a tree brach and cut slices of of it, all you need is some sort of a saw ^_^ and something sharp to carve the runes in. be creative and use what you have at your disposal though, you can always upgrade later if needed. sometimes your greatest tools end up being the makeshift ones XD  

dragoon_2004

PhoenixMoonStar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:39 am
My roommate, Kit, made her runes from those little wooden disks you can buy at Hobby Lobby... They come in a bag with almost enough for two sets, which means you get about one set because some of them are cracked. They're fairly thin pieces of wood, and I personally would have painted the runes on in the corresponding colors, but she bought a wood burning tool and burned them in. They look really nice. I think you can get a bag for like $2. You can also get thicker, nicer ones (she has them for when she makes her next set, and I'm thinking of snagging them because they've been sitting there for over a year)... They're a good solid piece of wood, nicely shaped and all smooth. There's fewer of them in a bag, so you'd have to buy two or three, and they're about a dollar more per bag.

Check the craft supply shops where you live, you'd be amazed what you can find.

Another option is to go to a place that sells dowel rods, find one in the roundness you want, and have them cut you disks from it in the thickness you want. Then sand them down.

My brother uses that Model Magic for lots of things... I think he made his pentacle disk from it, and his god and goddess statues.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:13 pm
See, i love the wooden ones (i need to make a trip to hobby lobby D: ) but the thing is, i don't have a good wood burning tool. Only thing we have is like i dunno... a soldering iron XD ...>> sharpie?

Thing about runes is, i don't think they like me too much. I mean, i think they're nifty and all... but they aren't my true strength. Let's just say i feel absolutely nothing when thinking about/touching/looking at any kind of rune. At all. x.x

Still! The model magic thing is an issue i wanted discussed because it's a really easy form of making things, however it's not so traditional. Like Phoenix said with her brother using it for statues and what not. -- Yeah i've played with the oven-bake, sculpey and all. But it's just not friendly to me. XD

In the end, i really think that anything can be used. Like a lot of you said, anything that feels right is good. I truly believe that~ One thing that really kicks me is: I have this wand. It's my favorite wand, EVER, and it works so very well. It came in a child's book thing (like the dragonology books? This was the wand one. Came with a wand, sand, and other stuff you could put in it, the bottom unscrews) - and that wand is my most powerful one. - Funny thing is, i also have this pewter wand that my ex got me once and it's a beautiful faerie wand with a crystal at the top and it's just really pretty... But my plain wooden wand is still stronger. XD I've used it for everything, and everything i'd done? Worked so well x.x

Anyway! x3 Don't think i'll be doing runes. I'm afraid they'd hate me so much x.x I'll stick with my cards ^^;  

Neonkyat

Dangerous Prophet

3,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

zabazor
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:30 am
if i ever want to do runes i plan to use sculpy since i use it alot for crafts. I also made my wand. It is a stick with the bark on, it is all natural. It has some super ols gray fabric wraped around the ends with an amethist point at the top and a citrine point at the bottom. its awsome. I belive you should use all narutal items, unless it is not possible. I have a glass colection that i use for things, and i use sculpy, and i hot glued my crystals to my wand. Not everything has to be natural, but it helps alot. But id rather use something that was very personal to me than something that i recived from nature. Also if u find it in the outdoors i think that the goddess has given it to you. It is a gift from the earth, even if it wasnt naturally formed. I found a ring on the ground one day walking aroung, it is sterling silver with an onyx gem, and really nive craftmenship. Another time i found a $50 when i was really down and needed to be cheered up. So i think as long as mother earth has given it to you, it has natural energies, she did it, not man. I know that sounds weird, but i belive it to be true.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:39 pm
zabazor
if i ever want to do runes i plan to use sculpy since i use it alot for crafts. I also made my wand. It is a stick with the bark on, it is all natural. It has some super ols gray fabric wraped around the ends with an amethist point at the top and a citrine point at the bottom. its awsome. I belive you should use all narutal items, unless it is not possible. I have a glass colection that i use for things, and i use sculpy, and i hot glued my crystals to my wand. Not everything has to be natural, but it helps alot. But id rather use something that was very personal to me than something that i recived from nature. Also if u find it in the outdoors i think that the goddess has given it to you. It is a gift from the earth, even if it wasnt naturally formed. I found a ring on the ground one day walking aroung, it is sterling silver with an onyx gem, and really nive craftmenship. Another time i found a $50 when i was really down and needed to be cheered up. So i think as long as mother earth has given it to you, it has natural energies, she did it, not man. I know that sounds weird, but i belive it to be true.

That totally doesn't sound weird! I believe that so much. The earth gives you things all the time, you just have to be looking for them ^^; - But thanks for that. Gave me a lot to think about *nods*  

Neonkyat

Dangerous Prophet

3,900 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Sakakikala

4,550 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:53 pm
I made my wand out of aluminum in my manufacturing class, and it's okay, but today a branch broke off our crape myrtly muskogee today.
It seems to be calling to me to use it, so i might make runes or a wand out of it(if there's enough after the wand i'll make the runes with it, it just draws me for a wand)
but I agree with zabazor, some of my favorite things i have, i find on the ground outside.
'w'  
The Library - - [spells, rituals, blessings tree, etc]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces