Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
can spirits think? can you be saved after physical death?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Urban Elf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:32 pm
Basically i want to know what happened to all those people who lived before Jesus came along and therefore didn't have a chance to accept him... seeing as he hadn't come to Earth and died/rose yet.
I've been wondering about this for a while but no one has seemed to be able to give me a satisfactory answer. I've gotten quite a few "You just have to trust that God wouldn't forsake them all" kind of answers... which i really don't think is good enough.
So then i started my own research... but now I'm stuck which is why i thought that you guys could help me? Or perhaps have your own conclusions and why you think what you do?

So... this is what I've been able to dig up so far:
1Peter 3:19-20

"... he [Jesus] went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built..."

The "spirits in prison" are thought to have been either:
1. fallen angels from 2Peter 2:4; Jude 6 also possible reference to bits in 1Enoch and also Gen 6:1-4 (although the "sons of God" here could've just meant Godly men or sons of royalty that were pretty much considered Gods)
2. the sinners of Noah's time i.e. the pre-flood era
If it were the latter option then that would possibly explain those who were born before and around the time of Noah...

1Peter 4:5-6

"... judge the living and the dead. For this reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to men in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit."

The weak argument against this was that it meant that it was preached before they died, as in the in past when they were alive but are now in the present dead.
The reasoning behind this being that there will be no opportunity to be saved after physical death apparently according to
Heb 9:27 "Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment"
... which i really don't think says that there won't be any opportunity after death... it just says that you'll be judged sometime after you die.

SO seeing as i couldn't find anything else against 1Peter 4:5-6 (please tell me if you do) then i guess the next question is....
Can a spirit think and feel? Can a human Spirit without the soul/body make the conscious decision to accept Christ?
I thought a good starting point was to define "spirit" and "soul" which proved to be much harder than i thought... because they overlap quite a bit, in both Hebrew and Greek... at least in the way the biblical writers used them. Please see the below post for my definitions. I ended up only defining the soul because it pretty much also defined spirit. And i got pretty much nowhere? There isn't a clear line between the two? Which seems to me seems to suggest that it could possibly have emotion/thought.

And so i tried a different tactic next - analyzing spirits. so in 1 Samuel 28 Saul goes to a "witch" who supposedly uses necromancy to raise the spirit of Samuel. I do believe in necromancy, i think that the fact that it was condoned meant it was harmful and obviously considered real (Lev 19:31 Deut 18:9-14)
The explanations though are:
1. She was faking it ... she must've been very well educated and connected because all the witches were banished from the country... and also knew about Saul and his past relationship with Samuel.... basically i think this option is pretty much impossible
2. God allowed his spirit to appear - in which case it shows that Samuel's spirit has a thought process/is aware of their surrounding situations/has memory
3. woman was deceived by another spirit who took the form of Samuel - still shows that spirits have thought/can make decisions as they, for whatever reason chose to deceive her. Also means that they can change shape O_o... and actually have shape to begin with.... but that's completely irrelevant ... but coolish
4. she used telepathy/clairvoyance etc... to read Saul's thoughts and picture Samuel in her mind... but this is again unlikely for the reasons stated in the 1st option.

So what can be concluded from that is that spirits most likely can think and therefore can decide to accept Jesus after physical death.
Although i still don't think it's enough. I'm currently looking for more spirit cases that come up in the bible...

So what do you guys think?
Can you choose to accept Christ after death?
Were all those OT people condemned because of bad timing?

[edit] MY goshh i almost forgot the whole not going to heaven/hell straight after death thing.
Basically very very briefly, my reasoning behind that is that you can't really judge both the living and the dead on judgment day if the dead are already in heaven/hell and therefore have already been judged.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:33 pm
The Soul in Hebrew:
primarily meaning "possessing life" - in Hebrew the word used is nepes (i don't have the little accenty things because i dont know how to type them XP) for soul and ruah for heart/spirit. According to the "New Bible Dictionary" Hebrew psychology lacked precise terminology and therefore there was some overlapping but generally the word nepes is used.

nepes is used alot for animals throughout genesis, also it's sometimes identified with blood, which obviously is essential for physical existence. In case you can read Hebrew and want to check it out here are a few verses (gen 1:20, 30; 9:12, 15-16; Ezk 47:9; Lev 17:10-14; Deut 12:22-24)
it also....
1. Has physical appetite, beyond what sustenance the physical body needs. i.e. cravings different foods or the opposite, not wanting to eat. Deut 12:20-21; Job 33:20; Ps 78:18, 107:18; Micah 7:1
2. Is the source of emotion - it grieves/hates etc...
Job 20:25; Ps 86:4; Is 1:14; Ps 6:3;
3. Has will and moral action - it can be "lifted up" to God, and so your "soul" can consciously choose to have faith/trust.
Gen 49:6; Deut 4:29; Job 7:15;
4. Designates an individual person - the identity of an individual Lv 7:21, 17:12; Ezk 18:4
5. sometimes employed with a pronominal sufffix to denote self i.e. kind of like 4
Jdg 16:16; Ps 120:6; Exk 4:14;
Even in cases to do with a dead body, which clearly demonstrates the overlap between the word nepes in referring to soul/spirit
Lv 19:28; Nu 6:6; Jb 7:15;

The Soul in Greek
the equivalent of nepes in Greek is 'psyche' (with a dash over the e XP), again pretty much indicates life but more is implied. i.e. there is more of an overlap between spirit/soul
the equivalent of ruah is pneuma, which seems to also overlap, sometimes meaning the principle of life but also the "higher" level of psychical life.
Kay sooo... it's used alot by Paul ... probably because he wrote most of the NT
It rep. life - Rom11:3, 16:4; 1 Cor 15:45; 2 Cor 1:23; Phil 2:30 etc...
Also psychical - desire - Eph 6:6; Phil 1:27; Col 2:23
- emotion - 1 Thes 5:23
Usually in all other times he uses pneuma although when he uses both pneuma and psyche he means the immaterial part of man in its lower and higher aspects...
The "heightened" sense of the word is also used quite a bit
James 1:21, 5:20; - The word can save it and recovery of error can rescue it from "death"
Heb 10:29; 1 Pet 1:10; - outcome of faith is salvation of the 'psyche'
1 Pet 2:11 - fleshly desires are harmful to it/can corrupt it
Heb 6:19 - Hope is an anchor for it  

The Urban Elf

The Urban Elf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:50 pm
-reserved-  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:52 pm
-reserved-

Also, *cuts ribbon* this discussion is now open =)

.... it really ended up quite a bit longer than i intended sweatdrop
Thanks in advance for anyone who actually bothers to read it all  

The Urban Elf

ChibiLi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:32 pm
First I must address that this is a very good question.

Just because Jesus came after those people doesn't mean they couldn't be saved. In fact, evidence of Jesus's love and his coming to them was evident all through the Old Testament. 3nodding

Just because Jesus wasn't there in body doesn't mean that God didn't have the ability to bring His people to him and save their souls. That'd be oxymoronic, no?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:54 pm
ChibiLi

Just because Jesus came after those people doesn't mean they couldn't be saved. In fact, evidence of Jesus's love and his coming to them was evident all through the Old Testament. 3nodding

Just because Jesus wasn't there in body doesn't mean that God didn't have the ability to bring His people to him and save their souls. That'd be oxymoronic, no?

That's what i believe =)
I just want to be able to biblically prove it now... xp
Mostly because my pastor said that it's impossible to accept Jesus after death... which i think is the only way people in the OT could have been saved, so i didn't quite agree but couldn't prove it.  

The Urban Elf

promised_child

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:38 pm
The Urban Elf
ChibiLi

That's what i believe =)
Mostly because my pastor said that it's impossible to accept Jesus after death... which i think is the only way people in the OT could have been saved, so i didn't quite agree but couldn't prove it.

the parable of Lazareth and the rich man- the begger in abrahams bossom... thats the biblical proof, also revelations touches on it  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:55 pm
promised_child
The Urban Elf
ChibiLi

That's what i believe =)

the parable of Lazareth and the rich man- the begger in abrahams bossom... thats the biblical proof, also revelations touches on it

The problem with using parables as biblical truth is that it's a story... therefore a level of poetic license can be used that would better portray whatever moral or message it was meant to convey.  

The Urban Elf

Debate and Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff