Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Should we make promises at all?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

missymisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:55 am
I had this other topic thing started and from it arose, this one....someone said that we can't make promises to God because we are sinners, we are imperfect and it's impossible and blah blah. Well, I started to think and, if we cant make promises to God because we wont be able to keep them, then I guess we shouldn't make any kind of a promise to anyone at all because in the end we will just end up breaking the promise....right???? People can hold up to their promises, hello! what about people who get married? (yeah I know divorce rate is way up right now) I'm talking about the ones who stay with their spouse all their lives, without commiting adultery, and if you think about it, it is kind of the same concept with boyfriend and girlfriend relationships, it IS possible to stay with someone without cheating on them. I just don't see how making a promise to God is wrong and that we really shouldn't do it. If you know that it is possible to keep it, then why the heck not? And I'm not talking about making insane promises like "I promise I will never make an 'F' in my class" or "I promise I will never drink or smoke or do drugs" or "I promise to read my bible everyday" No, not like that, promises like that I don't think anyone could keep, those are the ones that are impossible. maybe something like "I promise I'll try" that could work.....at least from my point of veiw it is. So...can some please give me a little insight as to all of this???  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:37 pm
I'm curious to find out who said that. I really don't see what he means. Did this person support their statement in any way? I wonder if he meant it one way but said it another way because there are plenty of promises that people have kept, such as sisters and brothers, priests and deacons. They all made a promise to God and most, that I know of and ever heard of, have kept it.

Yeah, they must have been confused or ignorant of what they are saying. I could be wrong, but from what you've told me that seems to be it. So, yeah, it's possible. It's just some people don't keep there promises, I guess. =/  

Bane Ad Vitam

IcarusDream

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:00 pm
Matthew 5:33-37
"33 Again you have heard that it was said to your ancestors, 'Do not take a false oath, but make good to the Lord all that you vow.'
34 But I say to you, do not swear at all; by heaven, for it is God's throne;
35 nor by the earth, for it is his footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
36 Do not swear by your head, for you cannot make a single hair white or black.
37 Let your 'Yes' mean 'Yes,' and your 'No' mean 'No.' Anything more is from the evil one."

Do not take oaths; doing so admits a flaw in mankind, a tendency to lie. Discipleship with the Lord requires a truthfulness that makes oaths unnecessary.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:25 am
IcarusDream
Matthew 5:33-37
"33 Again you have heard that it was said to your ancestors, 'Do not take a false oath, but make good to the Lord all that you vow.'
34 But I say to you, do not swear at all; by heaven, for it is God's throne;
35 nor by the earth, for it is his footstool; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King.
36 Do not swear by your head, for you cannot make a single hair white or black.
37 Let your 'Yes' mean 'Yes,' and your 'No' mean 'No.' Anything more is from the evil one."

Do not take oaths; doing so admits a flaw in mankind, a tendency to lie. Discipleship with the Lord requires a truthfulness that makes oaths unnecessary.

We see the same thing in the book of James:

12 But above all, my brethren, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or with any other oath; but your yes is to be yes, and your no, no, so that you may not fall under judgment. - James 5:12 (NASB)

Which is why I can't be sworn in for jury duty or testimony. Fortunately, the US justice system allows you to "affirm" that you will tell the truth instead of swearing to.

I've often wondered how the practice of swearing an oath upon the Christian Bible came to be in a country that is supposedly founded on Christian ideals.  

kitsunegami

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff