Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Foreign Languages Guild
The Worst Sounding Language? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lawrencew
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:19 pm
Seeing the Prettiest Language thread, I thought it'd also be interesting to ask which languages you think sound worse, or even generally hate for some reason.

Obviously, this will all be personal opinion, so no offense to anyone who's favourite language happens to be one people hates.

Myself, I think Spanish sounds horrible. Maybe it's also bad experience with it. I learnt it for about 5 months in school, but missed out on a lot because I moved to a new school at that time. I was still adjusting and everything, so catching up with Spanish was not at the top of my priorities. Well anyway, the teacher wasn't very sympathetic, and just expected me to carry on without any extra help. On a side note though, I did get an A at the end of the year, then dropped it immediately.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:22 pm
I also dislike spanish the most out of any language that i've heard or learnt  

Iconised Ghost

Lawrencew
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:27 pm
Any particular reason? Or do you just happen to dislike the way it sounds?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:53 pm
This topic is ridiculous.
It's insulting for the people speaking this language.  

xX-SideWinder-Xx

Vajra B. Hairava

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:22 pm
Oh, lighten up, its not that serious. I don't particularly like the sound of English or Japanese (2 languages I happen to know), but I'm not insulting myself by saying it. Who really cares anyway? I guess you do, but still.

I don't particularly like the sound of Arabic, all the throaty guttural sounds are unappealing to me. French for the same reason. I find Japanese just plain boring to listen to, at least the standard dialect, which is what you hear most of the time. I find Mandarin to be kinda harsh on the ears, but I still like the language for other reasons.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:10 pm
Its not insulting i for people who speak the language, thats like saying that making a thread about disliking cheese is insulting to people who eat cheese confused

I dislike spanish because of the way it sounds, it seems like a very flashy sort of language to me ( i guess thats why i like german, its very straight forward, and doesnt try to pretend to be prettier than it is whee ) I was also forced to learn it when i was about 11 or 12, and it was very frustrating because we would just watch the same introductory tape every lesson  

Iconised Ghost

late night show

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:39 pm
French. It's probably my inability to actually speak it.

Teacher: J'em
Me: Gem
Teacher: No, J'em. Like a... butterfly~!
Me: JJJJiiimmm.
Teacher: Erm... okay.
Me: D=

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:40 pm
It's not insulting unless someone makes it personal. neutral

I don't mind if someone says they don't like how Danish sounds, because I admit it's not a beautiful language. Sounds like someone's got a hot potato in their mouth. xD But that doesn't change the fact that I love the language.

I think I would also have to say Spanish. Not because of bad experiences (I had a wonderful Spanish teacher), it's just the sound of it. Spanish and French, actually. But I think written French is actually beautiful.

@late night show- LOL! That actually made me REALLY laugh out loud. xD

Kyori-Chan

m4r1p0s4

Eco-friendly Sex Symbol

10,750 Points
  • Planetary Technician 150
  • Market Browser 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:45 pm
Japanese never sounded too appealing to me, which explains why I'm not a fan of J-Pop and such... nothing against Japan in general, I just find the sound of the language pretty irritating. xp  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:48 pm
For me, there are a lot of languages that I don't like the sound of. It must be realised that this does not mean that I don't adore the language. mad D

I honestly don't know why people consider French to be such a pretty language. To me, it sounds vaguely like a cat coughing up a hairball; I adore the language, but am not overly fond of the sound.
To me, Russian sounds like they're speaking with peanut butter stuck to the rooves of their mouths. I blame the palatalisation. I love it even more than French, but it's really Not a Pretty Language.
Slovenian just sounds dreadful to me. I can hardly listen to it without wincing. It's a really interesting language, though.
Mandarin seems very harsh to me. Languages with more tones (like Hmong) sound less harsh for some reason.

Be warned, guys, as soon as this thread gets vaguely insulting I'm locking it.  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Vice Captain

Doppelgaanger

7,350 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:53 pm
People speaking spanish in sit-coms are really funny.

It's just the way the Spanish sounds.

P1: Julio est´s mí amor!
-gesp type music-
P2: =ooooo OH!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:36 am
Iconised Ghost
i guess thats why i like german, its very straight forward, and doesnt try to pretend to be prettier than it is whee

Wow, that pretty sums it up for me too!

I have a love-hate relationship with German. I suck at it, and I feel like I've wasted my time with it after studying it for 3 years (and gonna continue for 2 more years), but I really do like the sound of it. I can't correctly imitate a lot of the sounds too though... sweatdrop

Sometimes, it depends on who's speaking. I hate Japanese with a passion when it's some sqeuaky animé voice girl speaking it.

I've never found Mandarin to be a harsh language... It sounds like it flows quite well. The words sound like they jumble into one to me. And I like it. biggrin

But then again, I think French flows well as well, despite having that throaty 'r' sound...  

Lawrencew
Crew

Oueuy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:34 am
I think the most beautiful to hear is Spanish.
And the most horrible is German !! stressed
Horribeule xD a lot of "ich" in every sentences "ich schrei fur dich lach mich nich im stich" xD  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:29 am
You guys ever heard Luxemburgish? It's a German dialect and very very very ugly to my ears. It's very similar to German and although I have lived in Luxemburg for the most part of my life, I have never really learnt it. I guess I always thought it was too painful to hear and the people there can all speak French, English or German, or all of them, so I never really had to learn Luxemburgish to communicate.
Nevertheless I love Luxemburg and everyone living there ^^ heart  

cucoriedka

Iconised Ghost

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:13 pm
Oueuy
"ich schrei fur dich lach mich nich im stich" xD

xd its beautiful xd  
The Foreign Languages Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash