Welcome to Gaia! ::

Roleplaying Gems [A Literate Roleplaying Community]

Back to Guilds

We provide a roleplaying environment suitable for learning, teaching, mentoring, and benefiting from that experience. 

Tags: roleplaying, gems, literate, roleplay, fantasy 

Reply Roleplaying Gems [Roleplaying + Community Area]
::::::::::The Rules:::::::::: +banners & FAQ - [MUST READ] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you read the Rules thread?
Yes, I have before.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, but I'm just about to.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

Pyonchan

Versatile Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:53 pm
{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}

Welcome to Roleplaying Gems's Rules and FAQ thread.

Rather than having many threads cluttering up the main forum, I've created this all encompassing thread. This will help people get around and maybe clear up any confusion a new member might have.

If you're new (and even if you aren't), you'll want to read this before you post anything.

Additionally, if you have suggestions for this FAQ, feel free to PM Mr. Eccentricity. He'd be happy to discuss, change, and edit, etc. Pyonchan is no longer an active member.

{«»}...:::Navigation:::...{«»}
The Rules
The Forum and Subforums
How do I create a roleplay in the guild?
What is literacy?
General FAQ
Recruitment Thread
(the rest are Reserved)

......::::::Support the guild... fly our banner::::::......

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

[url=http://tinyurl.com/3exbl5][img]http://tinyurl.com/2uhux7[/img][/url]

User Image

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/?guild_id=49033&_gaia_t_=1272][img]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Mr_Eccentricity/Roleplaying Images/rpg1.jpg[/img][/url]

User Image

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/?guild_id=49033&_gaia_t_=1272][img]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Mr_Eccentricity/Roleplaying Images/rpg2.jpg[/img][/url]

User Image

[url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/?guild_id=49033&_gaia_t_=1272][img]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Mr_Eccentricity/Roleplaying Images/rpg3.jpg[/img][/url]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

[url=http://tinyurl.com/3exbl5][img]http://tinyurl.com/6co6c5[/img][/url]

{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}{«»}

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:55 pm
¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!

THE RULES

Read all the rules before posting in the guild!

1. Respect each other.
-This is an LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) friendly guild! There will be no bashing here. AT ALL.

(In-character homophobia/transphobia is permitted.)

2. These rules are subject to change at any time.

3. Be literate. Absolutely no chatspeak. Grammar and proper punctuation must be utilized, and try your best on spelling.
This rule goes for posts ON and OFF roleplaying threads. If you are warned too many times, you will be kicked out.

4. Use story-book roleplay style. [No ::, **, etc. to indicate action.]

5. Cursing is fine on and off roleplay. Just don't overdo it.
If you have a problem with foul language, turn the filters on - they're in account settings.

6. No godmoding. Killing other's characters (excluding NPC's) must be agreed upon by both parties before doing so.

7. There is no minimum post, for everyone has their bad days. However, understand that if you write a bigger post with more content, it is easier to respond with an equally big and excellent post. This keeps the whole page filled with lovely posts.

8. Absolutely NO sexual content above PG-14.

9. No advertising other guilds, spamming, or begging.

10. Post threads in their correct forum. If you're not sure, you can always ask via PM (Mr. Eccentricity). A mod can always move your thread, however, so don't stress too much.

11. If you want to make a roleplay, read the "How do I create a roleplay in the guild?" post further down.

¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!

Pyonchan

Versatile Loiterer

Pyonchan

Versatile Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:58 pm
::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{:: The Forum and Sub Forums ::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::

Main Guild Forum: This is the community forum for any kind of discussion, roleplay-related or not. Talk about your day, ask for advice about a post or roleplay you have an idea for, or even request a partner or group for a roleplay. This of this as the miscellaneous forum, though it still must follow the rules and be civil.

This is also where the roleplays are hosted. However, if you wish to create a roleplay, please DO NOT CREATE YOUR ROLEPLAY HERE, instead, read on.

The Construction Zone: When you want to make a roleplay, you create it here. Then once you are finished making it, you must PM Mr. Eccentricity and ask him to approve it. Once it is approved, it will automatically be moved into the main forum and made a Sticky thread so everyone can see it.
[This is where all roleplays begin.]

OOC Forum: Many people like to have an OOC thread for a roleplay where people can talk about it, ask questions, and plan out what's happening next. If you're hosting a role play in the guild, you might want to make an OOC thread here. Or if you need a separate thread for profiles or anything else, this would also be the place to make the thread.
[This is not a role playing forum.]

The Desert of Forgotten Roleplays: Any RP that falls inactive will be moved here instead of being deleted. If they do get revived after this point, they will be moved back to the right forum. Also, if the creator of the RP quits or is kicked from the guild, the roleplay will be placed here instead of being deleted outright. That way, anyone can use the idea and remake/continue it as long as they give credit to the original creator, unless it says otherwise.
[No threads are created here.]

The Mod Lounge: This place is for the moderators only. Nothing bad happens here, but the mods need a place to talk and help make sure the guild is functioning properly.
[Don't worry, it's mostly a reference forum anyway.]

{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}{::}

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:03 pm
ζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξ

How do I create a roleplay in the guild?

FIRST!
  • Create your roleplay in the Construction Zone.

THEN!
  • Once you are finished making it, you must PM Mr. Eccentricity and ask him to approve it. Once it is approved, it will automatically be moved into the main forum and stickied so it stays at the top of the forum.

• TO BE APPROVED, IT MUST HAVE:

- a plot (The roleplay needs to have a purpose, something for the characters to do.)

- a setting (It needs to start somewhere, no? Setting includes place AND time period!)

- correct grammar and spelling (Send it through spell check!)

- a nice layout (This is not EXACTLY required, but more people are likely to join if it looks nice. A nice layout, color, and images are nice.)

[We might offer some small suggestions to help the roleplay's success. So don't be dismayed if it takes more than one PM to be approved. We just want to help. :3]

ζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξζξ

Pyonchan

Versatile Loiterer

Pyonchan

Versatile Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:04 pm

What is Literacy?

As this is a literate guild, it might be useful to some to have the definition of 'literacy', as it pertains to the guild, outlined. These are basic ideas that I'm sure most of you know, but I just want to ensure that EVERYONE is aware of these expectations.

To start, let's quote the rules again (because rules are fun!):

3. Be literate. Absolutely no chatspeak. Grammar and proper punctuation must be utilized, and try your best on spelling.
This rule goes for posts ON and OFF roleplaying threads. If you are warned too many times, you will be kicked out.

No one is asking you to be a grammatical master, but do make the effort. It shows in more ways than one. Not only are your posts easier for the rest of us to read, but people who take a moment to step back and look at their writing again often (but not always), create more clear and in depth posts. Let's break that rule down bit by bit...

Absolutely NO CHATSPEAK.

If you don't understand this, let's clear it up.
dO n07 p0sT sumthng lAIk 7h15. We w1ll h8 u.
No numbers in place of letters... no random capital letters... no missing vowels. Easy, eh?

Grammar and proper punctuation must be utilized.
There are a few easy tips to keep in mind when you write to help ensure you're using proper grammar and punctuation...

- Always place a period (.) at the end of your sentences, place a question mark (?) at the end of your questions, and an exclamation point (!) at the end of exclamatory (aka shouting, demanding, enraged, etc) sentences.

- Hit the space bar once or twice after each sentence. It helps us see where one sentence ends.

- Your vs You're:
Your means something belongs to you. 'This is your taco.'
You're means you are something. 'You're a taco.'
In one sentence you have a taco, and in one sentence you seem to be one. Makes a big difference, right?

Do your best on spelling.
If you have Firefox or Chrome, there's a built in spell checker. It won't catch everything, but most of your obvious mistakes will get snagged. If you're typing in the window, and see red squiggly lines under a word, you spelled it wrong. Right click on the word, and your browser will give you options.

If you don't have Firefox or Chrome, many programs like MSWord and Pages have a spell checker. If you leave that open, it takes very little time to copy and paste your post in, spell check, then copy it back to Gaia.

Shortcuts for Windows:
select all = Ctrl A
copy = Ctrl C
paste = Ctrl V
Spell Check = F7

Shortcuts for Mac:
select all = Apple A
copy = Apple C
paste = Apple V
Spell Check = F7

I didn't include anything about post length, and as a rule I don't think I need to. It should be clear in each RP we have in guild what the expected size of a post is. When in doubt, ask the person running the RP.

If you have any additions you'd like to see here or you think anything in here is completely unreasonable, please PM Mr. Eccentricity to let him know and have a productive, civil discussion. =)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:07 pm
{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}

...:::FAQ:::...

The more questions people bring up, the better this FAQ becomes. For now, consider it a work in progress. Feel free to ask questions in this thread!

Q. I want to make a role play... do I have to ask before I do it?
A. Kind of. You need to create your thread in this forum first, then PM a mod [either Mr. Eccentricity, Metal-Ridley, or Soft Serenity] and ask him/her to approve and move your thread.

Q. Do I always have to be literate here?
A. Yes.

Q. Is text speak allowed if a character is communicating in a way where it would be found normal to text speak? i.e. Texting, IMing, etc.?
A. Yes! That's totally fine. (It's similar to how slurs and normally offensive things are allowed in-character if there's a reason for them.)

{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}{{¤}}

Pyonchan

Versatile Loiterer

Pyonchan

Versatile Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:10 pm
{+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+}

{Help promote the guild!}

There's a place outside the guild where guild members can chat and hang out, all while promoting the guild. "How does this work?" you ask. Well, simply, the more you chat, the more people see the thread, and the more people want to join, giving you access to more roleplayers and players!

{WHERE IS THIS AMAZING PLACE???}

Right
{here}

{+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+}

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:12 pm
Reserved for future use...  

Pyonchan

Versatile Loiterer

Pyonchan

Versatile Loiterer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:17 pm
Reserved for future use...