Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gathering of Adult Friends

Back to Guilds

A place for the old folks to hang out and chat about anything and everything. 

Tags: adult, friends, eighteen, discussion, adults 

Reply Religion, Spirituality, & Theology
Meditation

Quick Reply

Submit

Do you meditate?
  yes
  no
View Results

satinandsmoke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:36 pm
I have plenty of thoughts about meditation (all good). I want to know what yall think! You can bring up what your personal opinion on the subject, scientific discoveries, favorite ways to meditate, whatever!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:16 pm
Tip #1: Do not attempt to meditate when you have not slept in over 36 hours smilies/icon_xp.gif

I'll have more coherent thoughts and experiences to report once I've gotten some sleep smilies/icon_gonk.gif

--- edit ---
And I have the time to write a long post smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif  

Endrael
Captain

~evesunshine~

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:14 am
My experience with meditation is it's a good way to put me to sleep..
Wish I can put more down about it but I just don't meditate.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:28 pm
I always thought I had a pretty good attention span. Then I started meditating and I found out that my mind does not like to be blank. On a good day, I can go about 3 minutes. I am working on it. I find that opening my chakras helps to keep my mind focused because I am doing something. But if I just try to keep my mind clear, I always end up thinking about something that has upset me or work or housecleaning or whatever.

I'd like to try some guided meditations, but I haven't really had time to prepare for one and I'm not into buying pre-made ones on tapes. I'd rather be in control. (I guess I might be missing the point of meditation, huh?)  

kinmoratree

satinandsmoke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:04 pm
I dunno if yall know this but the easiest (as far as "easy" meditation goes) and most common way to meditate is to sit in whatever comfy position you want, you can even lay down! Then you focus on your outward breath, follow it leaving your lungs, through you throat and out of your mouth. Kepp your breath slow and deep, but not so deep you hyperventilate! On the inhale try to clear your mind, free of thought. Just peaceful quiet... riiight, not so easy now! If you find trouble concentrating on the in-breath, count. One, two, three... etc IN, follow breath out, one two three etc IN, follow breath out.

And if you find yourself thinking just calmly notify yourself that you are thinking, you can just think the word "thinking" and train yourself back to the quiet.

In buddhism you're not taught to meditate on anything until you can master this.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:58 pm
I used to. Then I had kids. When they're old enough to be left alone, and leave me alone, for at least an hour at a time, I'll return to it.  

dkpalmer
Crew

Friendly Genius

4,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200

satinandsmoke

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:21 pm
dkpalmer Wrote:
I used to. Then I had kids. When they're old enough to be left alone, and leave me alone, for at least an hour at a time, I'll return to it.

Good plan! Being negligent isn't worth meditation smilies/icon_xp.gif A lot of people I know meditate after they wake up. I dunno how old your kids are, but that might work... It also helps put you in a happy, calm mood before the day starts so you don't "wake up on the wrong side of the bed." smilies/icon_4laugh.gif  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:30 pm
satinandsmoke Wrote:
dkpalmer Wrote:

Good plan! Being negligent isn't worth meditation smilies/icon_xp.gif A lot of people I know meditate after they wake up. I dunno how old your kids are, but that might work... It also helps put you in a happy, calm mood before the day starts so you don't "wake up on the wrong side of the bed." smilies/icon_4laugh.gif

They'll turn 5 and 6 in the next few weeks. They're usually up before me, bouncing on me to start my day.  

dkpalmer
Crew

Friendly Genius

4,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200

satinandsmoke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:42 pm
I remember when I was that age my parents finally taught me how to read a digital clock, and they told me to watch cartoons until a certain time before I woke them up. smilies/icon_3nodding.gif  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:21 pm
satinandsmoke Wrote:
I remember when I was that age my parents finally taught me how to read a digital clock, and they told me to watch cartoons until a certain time before I woke them up. smilies/icon_3nodding.gif

My kids read both digital and analog clocks pretty accurately. They're allowed to wake me after 8 if they're hungry, or to let me know their dad has left for the day. 8 just doesn't always do it for me.  

dkpalmer
Crew

Friendly Genius

4,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200

Endrael
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:50 pm
satinandsmoke Wrote:
I dunno if yall know this but the easiest (as far as "easy" meditation goes) and most common way to meditate is to sit in whatever comfy position you want, you can even lay down! Then you focus on your outward breath, follow it leaving your lungs, through you throat and out of your mouth. Kepp your breath slow and deep, but not so deep you hyperventilate! On the inhale try to clear your mind, free of thought. Just peaceful quiet... riiight, not so easy now! If you find trouble concentrating on the in-breath, count. One, two, three... etc IN, follow breath out, one two three etc IN, follow breath out.

And if you find yourself thinking just calmly notify yourself that you are thinking, you can just think the word "thinking" and train yourself back to the quiet.

In buddhism you're not taught to meditate on anything until you can master this.

What I've found to be more effective (and the technique I've run across most often in my readings) is not to focus on your breathing, but simply to be aware of it. The rest will usually follow from there, the whole process of clearing your mind and so on, but the technique you describe works for that if doing so is difficult.

Once you're practiced enough, you can meditate pretty much wherever and whenever you need to, since it's a great way of clearing your mind and getting reenergized. Doing this is especially helpful for tarot, writing, or working magick (this is one of those paganism 101 things that I can explain in a separate thread if anyone likes, how meditation is used in magick), since it unblocks whatever 'higher' connection(s) you need to make use of.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:20 pm
Endrael Wrote:

Once you're practiced enough, you can meditate pretty much wherever and whenever you need to, since it's a great way of clearing your mind and getting reenergized. Doing this is especially helpful for tarot, writing, or working magick (this is one of those paganism 101 things that I can explain in a separate thread if anyone likes, how meditation is used in magick), since it unblocks whatever 'higher' connection(s) you need to make use of.

I write and there are days that I can not meditate my writing shows it....bad. Though I was a kid when I was taught, so I am kinda able to use meditation to help me relax befor I go to sleep. Or if i get really agitated or stressed. Well now days with a little one I try to....lol. Doesnt alwasy work that way though.

MuyamiKasai

Dangerous Rogue

12,850 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
Religion, Spirituality, & Theology

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items