Welcome to Gaia! ::

~ Midnight Moon ~

Back to Guilds

~ for pagans, wiccans and witches ~ 

Tags: wiccan, witchcraft, paganism, wicca, heathenry 

Reply *~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)
Looking for resources on historical witchcraft.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kelsey MacAilbert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:20 pm
When I say this, I refer to the Medieval period and the European and North American witch hysteria. I'm curious as to what these witches were said to believe and what methods witch hunters used to go after them. I'd also like to know how socially excepted witches were throughout the Medieval period. I know there were witch hunts, but I've also heard of witches being somewhat accepted in some areas, and would like to know more.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 pm
If you're looking on something by witch hunters I've heard that Malleus Maleficarum was supposed to be like the witch hunter's handbook. Or something like that.

I actually don't know much about it. I only heard about it because of the AFI song by the same name and then I happened to see it when we were reading The Crucible and it stuck out because of the song.  

X-Yami-no-Ko-X

Hallowed Prophet

11,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Timid 100

too2sweet
Captain

Tipsy Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:04 pm
Huge list of resources, also (might even be on that list as well) Witchcraft in Europe, 400-1700: A Documentary History by Alan Charles Kors is interesting (think it's actually part of a series, so there are other years covered as well in the other books).  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:01 pm
too2sweet
Huge list of resources, also (might even be on that list as well) Witchcraft in Europe, 400-1700: A Documentary History by Alan Charles Kors is interesting (think it's actually part of a series, so there are other years covered as well in the other books).
Thanks.  

Kelsey MacAilbert

Sanguina Cruenta
Vice Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:02 pm
Well, the idea is really that there was a disconnect for them between witches - who did Bad Things - and the person down the road who did charms and so on. "Witch" was always a negative thing, so witches weren't really accepted anywhere.  
*~Forum~* (general discussion/questions)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games