SHOW SUGGESTION THREAD Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[O.G.]
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:29 pm
Got a brand-spankin'-new place for your show suggestions now. Old one can be found here.

Keep it short and sweet. Give the name of the show, a short (like couple-sentence) description of the premise, and link me to where I can get more info.

Suggesting SHOWS doesn't have to mean suggesting things that are currently plays/musicals. Books and other kinds of source material are good, too.

If you wrote a script or know someone who wrote a script that the GTC might be interested in adapting, THOSE kinds of suggestions you can PM to [O.G.].  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:49 am
The main one stuck in my head right now is Les Misérables. First off, it's a musical, and the original script is available on SimplyScripts, so we definitely have something to work off of. Plus, it was a book, and it was made into a movie in 1988 (or thereabouts), so we could base it off those too.

Basically, it's about a former convict (Jean Valjean) making good on his promise to a dying woman (Fantine) to take care of her daughter (Cosette), while on the run from a police inspector (Javert). Cosette falls in love with a young man (Marius), who is fighting for revolution with his fellow students. Big battles, people die, but a somewhat happy ending.

It'd be tough, but doable.  

Izzy Van Helsing

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200

Ceribri

6,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:28 pm
I'd love to see a play of The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Basically, it's a story about Dorian Gray, a very handsome young man who sees a portrait of him done by a painter friend named Basil Hallward. One evening, and influenced by a mutual friend, Lord Henry Wotton (who says that the only things worth pursuing are beauty and fulfilment of the senses) Dorian realises that his beauty will soon fade, and he basically makes a deal-with-the-devil-though-out-loud-wishing that he could stay forever young and beautiful and let the painting age instead. Aaaaand then some pretty insane stuff happens.

In the book, there's three main characters, 4-5 secondary characters (some only show up once), and whatever else you like.

Short book, it's been turned into several movies/plays/an opera...oh, and a remake due out this year with the Caspian dude from the Narnia remake.

Read it on GoogleBooks

It's a period drama, described as "one of the last works of classic gothic horror fiction".

Costumes and possibly the set might be the only "tough" thing about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:56 pm
Izzy Van Helsing
The main one stuck in my head right now is Les Misérables. First off, it's a musical, and the original script is available on SimplyScripts, so we definitely have something to work off of. Plus, it was a book, and it was made into a movie in 1988 (or thereabouts), so we could base it off those too.

Basically, it's about a former convict (Jean Valjean) making good on his promise to a dying woman (Fantine) to take care of her daughter (Cosette), while on the run from a police inspector (Javert). Cosette falls in love with a young man (Marius), who is fighting for revolution with his fellow students. Big battles, people die, but a somewhat happy ending.

It'd be tough, but doable.

I absolutely love Les Misérables. It's definitely a great plot. But I agree that it will be a more difficult one.
3nodding  

Tsulani

O.G. Elder

-Elven_Princess1892-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:20 am
I think you should do Little Shop of Horrors if you haven't already.

Seymour is the clumsy employee of Mushnik's Flower Shop on skid row, where he daydreams of Audrey , his coworker. After no business, Mr. Mushnik decides to close the shop. Seymour and Audrey tell him that they think displaying something interesting, strange, and new in the window will attract business. Seymour brings up the perfect plant for the job: a flytrap-esque plant he calls Audrey II. The plant immediately attracts business. After the store closes, the plant begins to wilt, and Mr. Mushnik orders Seymour to fix it.

That night, Seymour discovers what Audrey II eats: blood. Seymour feeds the plant his blood, and as a result, it gets bigger and bigger. When Seymour becomes unable to keep feeding it, the plant begins to talk and urges him to kill people and feed them to him. Audrey II promises him rewards, and that he'll bring him business, luxuries, everything he's ever wanted, and Audrey, but soon he has to save the world from the plant which is actually an alien from outer space, planning on taking over the Earth.

More info: http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000188  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:48 am
What about Grease?  

Brinioo

Lord_Angelus_Flameheart

Dangerous Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:56 pm
-Magical_Rainbow_Muffinz-
I think you should do Little Shop of Horrors if you haven't already.

Seymour is the clumsy employee of Mushnik's Flower Shop on skid row, where he daydreams of Audrey , his coworker. After no business, Mr. Mushnik decides to close the shop. Seymour and Audrey tell him that they think displaying something interesting, strange, and new in the window will attract business. Seymour brings up the perfect plant for the job: a flytrap-esque plant he calls Audrey II. The plant immediately attracts business. After the store closes, the plant begins to wilt, and Mr. Mushnik orders Seymour to fix it.

That night, Seymour discovers what Audrey II eats: blood. Seymour feeds the plant his blood, and as a result, it gets bigger and bigger. When Seymour becomes unable to keep feeding it, the plant begins to talk and urges him to kill people and feed them to him. Audrey II promises him rewards, and that he'll bring him business, luxuries, everything he's ever wanted, and Audrey, but soon he has to save the world from the plant which is actually an alien from outer space, planning on taking over the Earth.

More info: ]http://www.mtishows.com/show_detail.asp?showid=000188

We did try to do this one. None of cast members were showing up for dress rehearsals.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:48 pm
Well,
What about something like Sherlock Holmes I played a video game called The Mystery Detective and it's a fun game mostly about how Mackenzie investigate weird stuff.
Or what about some short shows based on those Charlie Brown comics that would be fun and easy.
But for people who like adventures how about something like Journey To The Center Of The Earth just google it to see what it is.
And Inkheart would be interesting just google these.
But a story from the bible will always be good like Moses or Noah's Ark if you don't know any of these google it but the bible stuff read the bible.  

Brinioo

Angles and Dangles

Dedicated Entrepreneur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:19 pm
I have a suggestion to the over-all structure of the guild.

I think there should be an official thread for each production done by this guild with a similar structure to provide basic information about the production. The first post would look something like this:

Director: Sammayduku

Costume Designers: Jessicarox, the_force_is_with_you

Set Designers: james@war

Leading Actors/Actresses:
Harry Potter: Harry_Potter:the_survivor
Ron: redheadfirefox
Hermione: Hermione Jean Granger
Nevil: (auditioning)
Ginny: (auditioning)

Understudy cast:

and so on. Useful information like that. I'd really like to help out do costume designs for the A Very Potter Musical production, but I'm finding it difficult to get in touch with people involved with it. An official thread for each production would make nearly anything much more easy to co-ordinate and produce.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:23 pm
I think it would also be helpful if the guild could post somewhere what items it has in it's costume inventory. I understand you are putting together a costume department.

I have a store here that sells Harry Potter cosplay sets for avitars. I would gladly trade some sets to the guild for some of the items they are trying to sell or trade off.

As of the moment, I am selling things to the people directly.  

Angles and Dangles

Dedicated Entrepreneur

Ceribri

6,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:19 pm
I'm suggesting A Doll's House, by Ibsen.
It's really an amazing and thought-provoking play, and if anyone is able to get ahold of the movie version to watch, I highly recommend it.

There's four main characters and two secondary characters, and a bare minimum of two settings.
Summary/Plot/Characters  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm
If you haven't done them I think you should do Midummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare or an adaptation of Valley of the Dolls.  

Elizabeth Darkhaven

Dedicated Shapeshifter

Izzy Van Helsing

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:30 am
Yinying21
If you haven't done them I think you should do Midummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare or an adaptation of Valley of the Dolls.

Midsummer's got WAY too many characters.

Plus, there are MUCH better Shakespeare plays out there.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:57 pm
Hm..what about Repo The Genetic Opera. It was originally a play, then turned into a movie. It's a very interesting story. It takes place in the future after 26 years of organ failures. Here's more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repo!_The_Genetic_Opera

I know it may be a hard play to do, but I think it'd be a great production!

Oh and in response to the Shakespeare suggestion, you could always do Othello.  

-Elven_Princess1892-

The Gaian Theatre Company

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces