Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
Twilight Series Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

missymisa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:24 pm
have any of you ever read the twilight series by stephenie meyer? I have...Im working on the 4th one right now.....I was just wondering.....is it not such a good idea to be reading that kind of book since it's about vampires and what not. My dad is not all that happy with me reading it.....i was wondering what you all thought  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:37 am
Here's my take on books that contain mystics and magic. As long as it does not interfere with your faith, it's fine.

I love writing books, most of them contain magic, powers, etc. Harry Potter is one of my favorite series. Young Wizards is my ALL TIME FAVORITE! And... I also like Inkheart and Inkspell. Oh, and also the "His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman. While the books beleifs are TOTALLY against Christianity, this does NOT mean I can't recognize the books as a terrific story, plot, etc. They are great stories, they just go against the Christian beleifs.

Just my view on books though~

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150

divineseraph

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:23 pm
Srsly? Another "Zomg vampyre bookz r bad fore baby jeeeezus?!" thread?

Read what you want, watch what you want. So long as you don't kill people and drink their blood or sacrifice goats to satan, who cares? It's just media information. If information shakes your faith, then you have deeper trouble than I can help with.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:11 pm
It isn't like its messing with your faith. As such, there is no problem.
Personally I hate that book series. I read them, laughed so hard because it looked like a pre teen girl wrote them with no real sense of what romance is, and I also gagged at the raging Mary-Sueism of Edward and "Bella"

But yeah its not like its promoting Satanism.  

Ricette

missymisa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:30 pm
I was really just wondering what other people thought cus my dad was flippin out that i was reading the series and almost didn't let me read it.....although he's not to happy about it anyway.... I really like the series...and personally I don't think it's affecting my faith or me as a person in a bad way...I know where i stand it's just that I'm torn between doing what I want and honoring my dad and doing what he wants me to do which is NOT read the book.....but then again...when he explained to me why it's "bad" it was like he gave me a choice to read it or not and i picked to read it...... I just don't see how he can say that the book is "bad" if he has never even read it before.... >.>  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:43 pm
Ricette
It isn't like its messing with your faith. As such, there is no problem.
Personally I hate that book series. I read them, laughed so hard because it looked like a pre teen girl wrote them with no real sense of what romance is, and I also gagged at the raging Mary-Sueism of Edward and "Bella"

But yeah its not like its promoting Satanism.

Even if it is promoting Satanism, if you don't actually try the things in the book, whatever.  

divineseraph

mazuac

4,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Statustician 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:09 pm
missymisa
I was really just wondering what other people thought cus my dad was flippin out that i was reading the series and almost didn't let me read it.....although he's not to happy about it anyway.... I really like the series...and personally I don't think it's affecting my faith or me as a person in a bad way...I know where i stand it's just that I'm torn between doing what I want and honoring my dad and doing what he wants me to do which is NOT read the book.....but then again...when he explained to me why it's "bad" it was like he gave me a choice to read it or not and i picked to read it...... I just don't see how he can say that the book is "bad" if he has never even read it before.... >.>
If you feel bad, then maybe you should talk to him about it. Bring the books up in a conversation, tell him the main premise of the books, how it isn't about anything bad, etc.

And @Divines post - Was it really necessary to mock her with the "TXT TLK!?" Seriously, she has a question, the least you could do is acknowledge it without making a sarcastic comment...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:45 am
mazuac
missymisa
If you feel bad, then maybe you should talk to him about it. Bring the books up in a conversation, tell him the main premise of the books, how it isn't about anything bad, etc.

And @Divines post - Was it really necessary to mock her with the "TXT TLK!?" Seriously, she has a question, the least you could do is acknowledge it without making a sarcastic comment...

Yes, yes it was.

It doesn't make sense to censor oneself, it's only weakness. And to censor others for your beliefs is foolishness and a mistrust in that person.

That, and we've seen this same thread over 9000 times. Information is never evil.  

divineseraph

Ricette

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:39 am
mazuac
missymisa

And watch him let her know the freaking out is because a seemingly good and upstanding girl alls for an undead creature with no soul that many people associate with evil. "Sacrilege!" he cries!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:22 pm
User Image So get out of bed, step off your rooftop...

I really think that any christian can read whatever they want up to the point that it starts affecting their faith. I can read books all day about magic and pretty much anything else and Im not going to go out and try it. In my opinion as long as you can tell that its just fiction theres no need to make a big deal about it. Thats like saying people shouldnt watch things like Dexter because everyone who does will go out and become serial killers. Though, on a bit of a side note.. if youre ever convicted in your heart about doing something.. its best not to do it.

and just look around, hear the sound of God. User Image

TrinityofLove

missymisa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:33 pm
divineseraph
mazuac
missymisa

Yes, yes it was.

It doesn't make sense to censor oneself, it's only weakness. And to censor others for your beliefs is foolishness and a mistrust in that person.

That, and we've seen this same thread over 9000 times. Information is never evil.

I haven't seen this type of tread 9000 times.... >.> I actually looked around before I posted this up to save myself from doing this...but i couldn't find one surprised

and.....i dislike text talk..... stare You don't have to mock me either. I was just curious.
I read all the books now and frankly...I think my day is just "judging a book by it's cover" in the most literal sense possible. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:47 pm
missymisa
have any of you ever read the twilight series by stephenie meyer? I have...Im working on the 4th one right now.....I was just wondering.....is it not such a good idea to be reading that kind of book since it's about vampires and what not. My dad is not all that happy with me reading it.....i was wondering what you all thought

It's like the other day a guy criticized my reading of Septimus Heap, A young wizard, and how I'm being unfaithful to God bc it has magic in it.

I told him he should stop watching Spongebob bc sponges can't really talk
Oh, and not more reading the Bible, They talk about evil, too

Seriously, read what you want.
I, personally, dont like the books I read to be overloaded with sexual stuff, cursing, ect.  

Frygate

Frygate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:52 pm
missymisa

Lucky!! I asked my folks if I could read Vampirates. "No, that'll give you nightmares (oh, and btw, I'm not a little scaredy-cat kid, so this is really absurd) and it's evil" said my parents who dont want me to read an, looks like, awesome book series  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:25 pm
Tell your dad that you have the brain and common sense to not act like Bella Swann. blaugh lol.

I don't really like those series, but yeah. just tell your dad that you're smart enough to know that what you're reading is just fiction and you read it for entertainment. it's not like it's your life manual or whatever.

Jelai

No place like 127 0 0 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:33 am
is the book going to corrupt your soul and pull you into satans home with open arms? If yes, then maybe you shouldnt read it.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff