Welcome to Gaia! ::

In The Beginning... (A Roleplaying Guild)

Back to Guilds

A community for roleplayers and a vast variety of stories. 

Tags: roleplaying, rping, action, romance, literate 

Reply In The Beginning... (A Roleplaying Guild)
Oceans of Sand (Interest Thread) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Submit

Harmonic Discord

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:24 am
As promised, this is the OOC thread for a fringe sciency Post-Apocalyptic scenario.

I propose one in which there are a select few talented 'magic' users; unbeknownst to them, it is a form of alchemy, rather than true magic. Their main task, and what everyone pays them for, is to create water from a kind of precious stone in this endless desert of 4,000 B.C. Earth. Technology has been taken back to the Dark Ages. Humans struggle to survive famine and skirmishes; both with each other, and natural beasts.

Sand Surfers are those who ride out in sand-sleds attached to the tails of Plate Lizards, some of the only animals sturdy enough to survive the harsh winds - and sometimes even encounters with colossal monsters, said to be large enough to swallow a village whole, leaving nothing but a ripple in the sand.

The goal of the Sand Surfers is to find aquifers, a source of free water for the poor who cannot afford to have it magically created. They dream of one day finding an underground ocean, large enough for the whole world to never have to go thirsty again - but that is only a legend, right? Spoken by leathery old men in the backs of taverns, not to be believed by anyone with a shred of common sense.

Let me know if this sounds appealing to anyone, or if it should stay as a 1x1.

The topic has been made in Chapter Three.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:04 pm
✗✗
                          I like the sound of this.
                          I am admittedly terrible at 1x1s, though, so I'd rather see a group.
✗✗

XSenkoX
Crew

Proxy Raider

Sir Isaacs Lady

Blessed Elder

8,850 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:37 pm
Harmonic Discord Wrote:

I would gladly do a 1x1 but I also wouldn't mind a small 3-5 member group of writers with maybe multiple characters but I think it is too amazing a concept to get too many writers in it that don't have similar activity level since I have seen too many RPs no matter how cool lag out like that.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:21 pm
Depending on the people we get, perhaps it could start out for at least a few days with one person in each different lifestyle.
As in someone as in the father of a poor family doing anything possible to get water for their children, a 'Squeezer', who magically creates it, a Sand Surfer searching far and wide for natural water. Perhaps a merchant trying to make his way. They go on for a few posts, then all decide to try traveling with the Sand Surfer out of desperation to find the world's water - before the humans all either kill off what's left of each other, or die of thirst. Though, not all might have this motive...

Harmonic Discord

Sir Isaacs Lady

Blessed Elder

8,850 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:24 pm
Harmonic Discord Wrote:
Depending on the people we get, perhaps it could start out for at least a few days with one person in each different lifestyle.
As in someone as in the father of a poor family doing anything possible to get water for their children, a 'Squeezer', who magically creates it, a Sand Surfer searching far and wide for natural water. Perhaps a merchant trying to make his way. They go on for a few posts, then all decide to try traveling with the Sand Surfer out of desperation to find the world's water - before the humans all either kill off what's left of each other, or die of thirst. Though, not all might have this motive...

Sounds cool to me... so... about four writers? Awesome! Dibs on the Squeezer.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:41 pm
✗✗
                          Can I call dibs on Sand Surfer?
                          Honestly, any of them will be fine, but... ACTION. ADVENTURE.
                          GOING ON A POTENTIALLY BULLSHIT QUEST.
                          That's totes my bag.
✗✗

XSenkoX
Crew

Proxy Raider

Harmonic Discord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:20 pm
I think I might be the Sand Surfer for the sake of knowing more secretive things about the world, that would make for great things to reveal later on from that perspective.

Though if you can make the case for a second Sand Surfer, and outline your basic ideas for a role, that would be fine too.

I have three days off in a row, and as soon as I get some business done I'm going to start working on beefing up the skeleton, and creating roles for people to make profiles and fill them.

I emphasize very hard in fleshing out a realistic world - the more your character can interact with others, including NPCs, the better. I like for people to surprise me with details I could never have imagined.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:14 pm
Harmonic Discord Wrote:
I think I might be the Sand Surfer for the sake of knowing more secretive things about the world, that would make for great things to reveal later on from that perspective.

Though if you can make the case for a second Sand Surfer, and outline your basic ideas for a role, that would be fine too.

I have three days off in a row, and as soon as I get some business done I'm going to start working on beefing up the skeleton, and creating roles for people to make profiles and fill them.

I emphasize very hard in fleshing out a realistic world - the more your character can interact with others, including NPCs, the better. I like for people to surprise me with details I could never have imagined.
Can do! All I ask is that you keep the cast small...  

Sir Isaacs Lady

Blessed Elder

8,850 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

XSenkoX
Crew

Proxy Raider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:23 pm
✗✗
                          Eh, doubling roles in a small cast is silly.
                          I'll do SOMETHING ELSE.
                          /dramatic music
✗✗

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:24 pm
XSenkoX Wrote:
✗✗
                          Eh, doubling roles in a small cast is silly.
                          I'll do SOMETHING ELSE.
                          /dramatic music
✗✗

So what will it be, the beleaguer father or the money grubbing merchant?  

Sir Isaacs Lady

Blessed Elder

8,850 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

XSenkoX
Crew

Proxy Raider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:27 pm
Reservoir of Memory Wrote:
✗✗
                          Money-grubbing Merchant, of course.

...Why can't I play a nice person?
                          My gut grabs are always awful, awful people.
                          .__."
                          I think Ilmari is the nicest person I'm RPing at the moment, and even that's iffy.
✗✗

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:38 pm
XSenkoX Wrote:
Reservoir of Memory Wrote:
✗✗
                          Money-grubbing Merchant, of course.

...Why can't I play a nice person?
                          My gut grabs are always awful, awful people.
                          .__."
                          I think Ilmari is the nicest person I'm RPing at the moment, and even that's iffy.
✗✗

Don't do it ! Nice people get shafted... Speaking from experience!! Which is why I am raising a kitten and trying to find it a home but intending to keep it if I can't, which is also why my last several bossed ******** me over after long service and no breaks, AND why I can't be quite bitchy enough to even bully my husband into picking up his god damned dirty underwear or helping me with any of the chores despite the fact I work as many if not more hours most week then he does. AND why I can't tell my father-in-law to go ******** himself I don't want to help out FOR FREE at his hobby business on my ONE DAY OFF A WEEK!!!!

Yah, speaking from expierence if it is your nature be kind, but if it isn't... thank god and don't look back. v.v  

Sir Isaacs Lady

Blessed Elder

8,850 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Harmonic Discord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:51 pm
These aren't set roles, either. You could be a rich investor, a Plate Lizard breeder, anything you can think of. I want several walks of life converging upon one goal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:53 pm
Harmonic Discord Wrote:
Plate Lizard breeder
✗✗
                          jdfialsndvsd
                          THAT WILL BE MINE.
                          I WILL BREED ALL OF THE LIZARDS.
                          THERE WILL BE AN ARMY OF THEM.

Sorry, I got too excited over that...
✗✗

XSenkoX
Crew

Proxy Raider

Harmonic Discord

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:57 pm
No, no, that's good. You work that breeding role. That sounds creepy.

Remember, these Plate Lizards are roughly the size of a small elephant. You don't need an army.

Fortunately, they're docile. They eat rockroots, a plant made of a limestone-like material. It disguises itself as a piece of bolder, usually found on the leeward side of stone formations.

As such, they don't... defecate. Dust simply falls out and drifts into the desert.

Yes. This world is literally a sandy shithole.

In The Beginning... (A Roleplaying Guild)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games