Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Kendo Guild

Back to Guilds

Where kendoist can come together and share there experiences while having a good time. 

Tags: kendo, kenshi, shinai, bogu, sensei 

Reply Tournements/Events
Kendo vs naginata

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever done kendo against naginata?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
No
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

Yohana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:13 am
We had a visit from a naginataka in our dojo at yesterday's practise biggrin This was the first time ever for me to do kendo against naginata. We kendoka did three ji-geiko each: Two with leg-protection and one without (in naginata the legs are a vilid hit, but he was not allowed to hit us there in the last ji-geiko wink )

It was really odd, but really really funny.

And the naginata-guy totally owned us kendoka sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:46 pm
Well I suppose that naginata already has the advantage of reach. Although it is quite interesting to see a fight between kendoka and naginataka. How different is it, compared to a ji-geiko between kendokas?  

tempestchaos

6,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Yohana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:57 am
tempestchaos
Well I suppose that naginata already has the advantage of reach. Although it is quite interesting to see a fight between kendoka and naginataka. How different is it, compared to a ji-geiko between kendokas?

The reach is obviously the first thing you notice (except for the leg protection, which hinders the mobility a bit if you're not used to it, at least). When your at a distance that you feel you should be secure in if it was an ordinary ji-geiko, that's when it's a perfect distance for the naginata.

The second thing is that when you do an attack, then "smack" you get hit on the leg. And they are allowed to use both ends of the naginata to hit the legs, so you're not safe on a long distance neither on a short.

The most confusing is when the naginataka changes kamai: They have serveral kamais that are used regulary (I know kendo also have a lot of different kamai, but how often is anything else than chudan and jodan used except for kata?). It also really intimidating when he goes up in jodan or back into waki, because you know that you are going to get hit no matter what you do.

But it is also a bit hard for the naginataka, because they usually don't go into tsubaseriai. As they don't go pass their opponent in zanshin the kendoka tend to "crash" into the naginataka and into tsubaseriai.

(Probably tsubaseriai is the wrong word, as naginata don't have tsuba, but you know what I mean.)  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:36 am
True, it's not very often that you switch between kamais in normal shiai. Especially if you are not very good or does not use different kamais. What kind of 'attacks' (for lack of a better word) does the naginata have? Do they use their long reach and 'stabs' you or do they 'cut' you?

Back onto tsubaseriai, I suppose that would have to be the most advantageous position for a kendoka. Considering that we have hiki-waza that seems like it would take less time to perform. Unless of course naginatakas have their own set of hiki-waza?

tempestchaos

6,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Artistic Greenfox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:21 am
tempestchaos
True, it's not very often that you switch between kamais in normal shiai. Especially if you are not very good or does not use different kamais. What kind of 'attacks' (for lack of a better word) does the naginata have? Do they use their long reach and 'stabs' you or do they 'cut' you?

Back onto tsubaseriai, I suppose that would have to be the most advantageous position for a kendoka. Considering that we have hiki-waza that seems like it would take less time to perform. Unless of course naginatakas have their own set of hiki-waza?

i have done both and naginata does cuts stab and butting with the other end. your best defense for naginita is actually gedan kamai.unless they go into jodan kamai.  
Tournements/Events

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games