Welcome to Gaia! ::

Winged Phantom

18,725 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Marathon 300
Omnileech
There's two ways to steal aggro: the entire room or one enemy. Even with the best of tanks it's not unheard of for one enemy to get stuck to one attacker no matter what the tank does to try to steal aggro back... or at least the enemy won't decide to switch targets easily.

Thanks for the input!

Your avatar is absolutely smashing tonight. whee

Snarky Vampire

39,850 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Champion 300
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Owlie
Agent Sawbones
Owlie
Brooklyn Rage Mage

Agent Sawbones

Area/Instance of Occurrence: DMS, Yellow Mazes. Potentially has effects anywhere in zOMG!, assuming it's true.
Description of Myth: Supposedly, using a ghi amp will make it possible to steal enough aggro from the tank to bump you to the top of hate lists. Specifically, because ghi amps somehow affect your stats.
What Occurred right before the Myth: Nothing out of the ordinary for what I consider a normal DMS run, other than the tank entering the rooms first to distract monsters from the rest of us. (Note that the tank going in first as a distraction is not a part of the myth and is obviously an actual strategy. One that really works, too.)
Any Other Information: This was actually something I had been spontaneously told after I did my usual thing -- get my assigned buffs, use an amp, and waltz right into DMS with the rest of the crew. We were a couple rooms in when someone decided to tell this to me.

Personally, I think it's grade A bogus. I know that ghi amps do not, in fact, have any effect on your base stats; all the benefits to your stats come from the boosted ring effects, so while r4 div's effects can be boosted, it has no actual effect on the stats themselves. That said, I do believe there is a grain of truth: the boosted ring effects means your damage can go about 50% higher versus someone who doesn't use amps, so it might be theoretically possible to deal enough damage to overtake the tank on hate lists due to the sheer amount of damage being dealt.

@bolded: This is (what I believe) is the case. I've seen people steal aggro because they were amped or use chargers for stamina during the NF.

It's not the amp or charger itself, you're right, it's the added damage that's caused, either because the attacks are causing more damage with the amp, and the extra stamina from the charger allows the player to attack more often. Just like casting adren on the NF doesn't technically give more hate, but the NF's decreased Dodge allows attacks to hit harder, causing more damage.

So, yes and no. Amps themselves do not cause extra hate, but the effect of the amp causes extra damage, which causes extra hate.

To put it another way, if you sat there with a ghi amp active and spamming superchargers, but never actually hit the fright, you wouldn't steal aggro from the tank.

Ideally, your tank is generating enough hate themselves to not have to worry about this effect. Everyone should be able to amp up and a really good tank won't have any issues (such as during Bloodlust, when everyone is amped). It's likely that whoever was tanking was new to tanking and was frustrated that they were losing aggro to you and your amp. xd

Obviously some testing will have to be done (and chargers and amps sacrificed) to truly bust this myth, but for now I'd tentatively declare this:

Myth: The direct use of powerups will make you steal aggro from the tank while "tricking" Night Frights.

User Image

Thanks, Owlie. One thing I'd neglected to mention earlier, though, is that none of the rooms had a night fright or big dog. XD

Like I said, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, besides being asked to not reapply my amp when it ran out. If I'd managed to briefly steal aggro on a vamp or werewolf because the tank couldn't keep up, I sure as hell failed to notice it.

I just assumed you were fighting a NF lol I've heard the same thing about powerups before though and it should be added to the list of myths. 3nodding

Looks like you just had an unexperienced tank! wink

Kind of an iffy thing on that last one. I crew with fairly good random crews more often than not, since the random crews I join tend to only last long enough for YM farming excursions anyway. So, I can't really say for myself that the tank was less-experienced at tanking than they ought to have been. From what I could tell, that simply wasn't the case because any aggro-stealing on my part must have been really brief, lasting only as long as two seconds tops. All signs point to the myth just being hearsay, since as far as I knew the tank was keeping up with me very well.

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Seeing as we've been discussing drop rates in this Topic, I was wondering if anybody has noticed a difference in the rates between YM and GR.
I was in GR last night with a random Crew, and while we were not great, we weren't horrible either.
Thing is, after many hours, many wipes and many rooms cleared, all I had to show for the effort was 21 Shorbs, which seemed to me to be a substantially lower drop rate per room/per monster, than I would have expected, and almost assuredly well below what I normaly get when farming YM.

I was the only 12 in the Crew, but the majority were 11.8 or 11.9, and our lowest was 11.5, so the .8 max cl difference requirement was easily satisfied.

Fashionable Nerd

9,875 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Nerd 50
  • Hygienic 200
WideEyed
Seeing as we've been discussing drop rates in this Topic, I was wondering if anybody has noticed a difference in the rates between YM and GR.
I was in GR last night with a random Crew, and while we were not great, we weren't horrible either.
Thing is, after many hours, many wipes and many rooms cleared, all I had to show for the effort was 21 Shorbs, which seemed to me to be a substantially lower drop rate per room/per monster, than I would have expected, and almost assuredly well below what I normaly get when farming YM.

I was the only 12 in the Crew, but the majority were 11.8 or 11.9, and our lowest was 11.5, so the .8 max cl difference requirement was easily satisfied.

Referring to page 10

Quote:

Earlier today a group of us went into DMS to test vary cl drop ratios. Here is what we found after about an hour of doing yellow rooms.

(Crew members: Lux Fortuna, Shinju_hashimfo, Brooklyn Rage Mage, Memory Haunts You, parf, azphyxxxiate)

CL 10.8 received 61 Shadow Orbs

CL 10.9 received 55 Shadow Orbs

CL 11.0 received 54 Shadow Orbs

CL 11.1 received 56 Shadow Orbs

CL 11.2 received 52 Shadow Orbs

CL 11.4 received 49 Shadow Orbs

Notes on the study:

*Anomalies: After the fact I realized that our 10.8 player did not have a major luck boost. This does not contradict the data, though, because she in fact received the -most- drops. The only way this would negatively affect the data would be if there is an inherent glitch in the luck system and there is no reason to believe that this is the case.

*Weaknesses of the Study:
-Very small sample size
-Short period of time
-Possibility that varying cl's within a group affect orb drop-rates (however unlikely the possibility for this is).

Conclusions:
While I realize that this is a small sample size over a short duration of time the data can still be open to offer guiding advice.

-While the cl 10.8 received significantly more orbs than anyone else in the crew, it was expected that the 10.9 would exhibit similar results, however she suffered from 10% less drops than the cl 10.8 and her orb drops were practically identical to the 11.0, 11.1, and 11.2. I mostly attribute this to the small sample size and short duration, though.

-There seemed to be no significant difference between cl's 10.9-11.2.

-The cl 11.4 received the least amount of drops but this could have been a result of the short period of time. More research would be necessary in order to reach a stronger conclusion.

The numbers suggest that the optimal range for reaping maximum drops per kill is cl 10.8 from this (small) study. However, it is my contention that a team of 11.4's would move much more quickly than a team of 10.8's and would also undergo much less pressure. Coupled with the ease and respectable orb drops it seems to be in the best interest of the team to play at cl 11.4 for the fastest run while still receiving a good orb-drop ratio.

Follow-up Study:
-Compare the orb drop difference between cl 11.4's and 11.5's

Perhaps it's not just the .8 difference. Try going in as lower levels and see how many shorbs you make (in YM).

Winged Phantom

18,725 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Marathon 300
*RR4 DEFIB*

Perfect Bloodsucker

17,050 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Threadmaster 200
it seems i'm pretty much one of the only zomythbustees who has submitted work and had it put on the first page emotion_awesome
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
*Defibs thread*

After a very long break from a lack of time to spend on here, the zOMythbusters are back, and (hopefully) better than ever! We're gonna start hunting down more myths, and busting as we please.

If you wish to be a zOMythbuster, be serious about helping out. I won't be keeping anyone anymore if they don't seriously make an effort towards contributing.

Barton Sweetheart

ValKyrie Ragepunk

Although the chances of generating the rooms are really hard to duplicate, it is still an interesting phenomenon that, if it is true, would really raise the question of whether the maps are completely random or have a set limit of paths to HPR. But I would love to hear more about what happened in the instance where your crew found HPR in two rooms. Were you coming from Yellow to Green? Or were you going directly into Green? What were the two rooms that you had, if you can remember, that led you to HPR? blaugh

It was a while ago but from what I can remember I'll give you.

We were for trying for attunment for a member of our crew. The yellow room where cleared and towards to end ran into a Nightfright or Big Dog in about the last 4-6 rooms ( sometimes one after the other other time every other room). We left our unattuned member dazed in the Green Rooms and thoese that where attuneted buffed up and ran into the Green Room via the attunment door.
In that room was a Big Dog ( I remember that as no admitted to attacking it and I was so myself and another wondered if I had soloed it xd ) vampires and of course BATS!

There was 3 doors the on we went though ( at the bottom) then two doors upper right and upper left, we went thought the upper right.

The next room had two doors as well ( I think we went right in this one) The room had a Nightfright, vampires and bats again. On choseing our door we reached the HPR room.

I hope that helps you a little and sorry to the late reply!
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/zomg-gaia-s-mmo/debate-bandage-vs-wish/t.80059977_46/

Post 7,8 and 13 need some debunking.

Valheita's Princess

Witty Noob

18,250 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Love Machine 150
Ooooh, I didn't know this thread existed! I love Mythbusters, so this is awesome XD <3333

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
UNSUB
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/zomg-gaia-s-mmo/debate-bandage-vs-wish/t.80059977_46/

Post 7,8 and 13 need some debunking.
Do you mean the posts on the very first page, or on the one you linked?

EDIT: Oh, that guy... Fun, fun.

Fashionable Humorist

14,000 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Winged 100
Mage Ragepunk
*Defibs thread*

After a very long break from a lack of time to spend on here, the zOMythbusters are back, and (hopefully) better than ever! We're gonna start hunting down more myths, and busting as we please.

If you wish to be a zOMythbuster, be serious about helping out. I won't be keeping anyone anymore if they don't seriously make an effort towards contributing.

Have you added the myth that the recipe "Formula 3: Mint Sundae Sweets" drops from ONLY FFK or BL?

I have gained the minty from both BL and FFK >> in the same day emotion_awesome

A Furry

33,675 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Hop, Hop, BOOM 500
  • Dig Dig Dig! 250
Hi guys.

I've been told by a shady source that I don't really trust that Formula 3: Mint Sundae Sweets drops from the Giant Stone Coatl instance as well... emotion_eyebrow

Would you mind looking into that one? owo;;

Also, for the lulz: Apparently you encounter the Hive Queen at Wave 500 in Hive World. >w>;; No clue if this has been implemented, but it might be fun... in a sick and twisted kind of way. o3o

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Ren Orenji Doragon
Hi guys.

I've been told by a shady source that I don't really trust that Formula 3: Mint Sundae Sweets drops from the Giant Stone Coatl instance as well... emotion_eyebrow

Would you mind looking into that one? owo;;

Also, for the lulz: Apparently you encounter the Hive Queen at Wave 500 in Hive World. >w>;; No clue if this has been implemented, but it might be fun... in a sick and twisted kind of way. o3o
. . . I just don't even.

cxnceited's Senpai

Omnipresent Spirit

17,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
Ren Orenji Doragon

OKAY, EVERYONE SHUT THE ******** UP FOR A SECOND.

NONE OF THIS CRAP IS MAKING ANY SENSE TO ME ANYMORE!

I MEAN REALLY, HOW COULD ANY OF THIS BE POSSIBLE! scream

Ren changed her avatar o3o

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas