Welcome to Gaia! ::

Noble Werewolf

5,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Rally Tyro 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Is zOMG down for anyone else? :S

Perfect Saint

They removed it weeks ago because of some security leak that is just too hard for them to fix.

Dedicated Hellraiser

11,175 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Myrielle
They removed it weeks ago because of some security leak that is just too hard for them to fix.

It sounds like "lazy" is the better term to describe on why they removed it.

Perfect Saint

Gothor Salvator
Myrielle

Or too expensive. Either way, it's not coming back so we can call it what ever we want. I will settle with 'pie swatter' myself.

Dedicated Hellraiser

11,175 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle

Or too expensive. Either way, it's not coming back so we can call it what ever we want. I will settle with 'pie swatter' myself.

Not sure about the statement with it not coming back. I've been seeing a lot of people striving to try to bring zOMG! back. I myself want zOMG! to come back. That's basically the reason I joined this site in the first place.

Perfect Saint

Gothor Salvator
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle

Not sure about the statement with it not coming back. I've been seeing a lot of people striving to try to bring zOMG! back. I myself want zOMG! to come back. That's basically the reason I joined this site in the first place.
People strove to keep it alive and advance as a feature for years, but it died anyway.

Dedicated Hellraiser

11,175 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle

People strove to keep it alive and advance as a feature for years, but it died anyway.

Ah. Gaia should've kept it as a game on here, lol. Or at least that's how I think on it.

Perfect Saint

Gothor Salvator
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle

Ah. Gaia should've kept it as a game on here, lol. Or at least that's how I think on it.
Maybe. But if it's a leak that can get my account hacked, then I would rather not have it. I do prefer my avatar over zOMG at the end of the day. One of the main reasons I stopped playing in 2012 was that it was sucking gold meant for my wardrobe.

Dedicated Hellraiser

11,175 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle

Maybe. But if it's a leak that can get my account hacked, then I would rather not have it. I do prefer my avatar over zOMG at the end of the day. One of the main reasons I stopped playing in 2012 was that it was sucking gold meant for my wardrobe.

I don't think anyone or even very many people knew about the hack anyways, until Gaia opened their mouths. I noly played zOMG! because it was fun, and pretty much almost all of the rest of the stuff Gaia has to offer is boring to me.

Perfect Saint

Gothor Salvator
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle

I don't think anyone or even very many people knew about the hack anyways, until Gaia opened their mouths. I noly played zOMG! because it was fun, and pretty much almost all of the rest of the stuff Gaia has to offer is boring to me.
I don't think it really matters if people knew or not as long as it's there and a source of vulnerability. Why wait until someone did exploit it? That is not a thing I want happening.

Dedicated Hellraiser

11,175 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle

I don't think it really matters if people knew or not as long as it's there and a source of vulnerability. Why wait until someone did exploit it? That is not a thing I want happening.

Then here's a question I have for them, that I'm curious about. Why did they wait all this time only to then say something about it and purposely shut it down? That's what I don't get. It was all so sudden. And the fact they say "they couldn't fix it", kinda makes me think that it was only a fib to not have to deal with trying to fix a large bug. Sorry if it seems like I'm rewinding all the way back to the start of what I said, but that's kinda what I think on the subject. I mean, they did NO updates, nothing but refreshing the servers, they pretty much neglected most of zOMG! as a whole when they started spewing out all these gold generators and stuff, that it just makes NO sense why they suddenly stop zOMG!. Was it for profit by getting more Gaia Cash? Was it simply because they got tired of it? Was it because the company that owns Gaia simply has plans on changing the site as a whole? Because as of now on the way I see it, the site is going down the shitter fast. It almost worries me that the site will pretty much be closed down in 2015, at the rate it's going. The only thing I ever see in the announcements is mentions of Gaia Cash, and nothing more, except a couple of other things here and there. I don't know if they REALLY value account security, because they sure as hell value that pretty penny a LOT.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like an a*****e, or thinking selfishly, but can you blame anyone for thinking that based on what has been happening?

Perfect Saint

Gothor Salvator
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle

Then here's a question I have for them, that I'm curious about. Why did they wait all this time only to then say something about it and purposely shut it down? That's what I don't get. It was all so sudden. And the fact they say "they couldn't fix it", kinda makes me think that it was only a fib to not have to deal with trying to fix a large bug. Sorry if it seems like I'm rewinding all the way back to the start of what I said, but that's kinda what I think on the subject. I mean, they did NO updates, nothing but refreshing the servers, they pretty much neglected most of zOMG! as a whole when they started spewing out all these gold generators and stuff, that it just makes NO sense why they suddenly stop zOMG!. Was it for profit by getting more Gaia Cash? Was it simply because they got tired of it? Was it because the company that owns Gaia simply has plans on changing the site as a whole? Because as of now on the way I see it, the site is going down the shitter fast. It almost worries me that the site will pretty much be closed down in 2015, at the rate it's going. The only thing I ever see in the announcements is mentions of Gaia Cash, and nothing more, except a couple of other things here and there. I don't know if they REALLY value account security, because they sure as hell value that pretty penny a LOT.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like an a*****e, or thinking selfishly, but can you blame anyone for thinking that based on what has been happening?
I can't really claim that I know their thought processes. There had been some explanations thrown about to dispel speculation of users by other users, but sadly, I neglected to keep a record of them.
I would like to say that the staff did genuinely want to keep zOMG around and did try to get it fixed. Unfortunately, the code proved much too robust and old for the devs to handle it within a reasonable period even with the help of a former zOMG developer. Someone threw around the concept of Heartbleed; perhaps it was Zero Omega himself. I can't really give you a technical explanation aside from the similar situation of uncovering a hidden bug that led to the ability to reveal way too much information that could possibly be exploited at some later date. While fixing it was a possibility, it was just not feasible given the amount of time, manpower and money involved in repairing the problem. I have no idea what goes into making the code of a now-outdated platform, but I can see that there are tasks that are just not fixable within a certain window of possibility. Rather than risk the entire population of Gaia, the staff had to make that difficult decision to cut of the disease limb. It's just sad that the limb was zOMG.
I've played zOMG since open beta until a few months after the release of DMS and I gravitated to other aspects of Gaia like even go deeply into Heralds of Chaos. I managed to max out my level there, but the game ultimately died as well. I also went to the sister site Tentacl.com and I also maxed out the old cap of level 50 before they added level 51 which nobody broke before the site was taken down. Even before Gaia, I've had old forums vanish into the ether. I am no stranger with having the rug pulled out from under me, you see. I guess that did give me some lessons on how to roll with the blows and find other things to keep me occupied.

I digress. I can't really tell you about the nuts and bolts of the reasons to anyone's satisfaction except my own. I guess I am willing to just take that explanation and just go on with my Gaian experience. After all, Gaia was around without zOMG and it will continue to do so after it's gone. As nice as it is to think there are a ton of users playing zOMG, even at its peak in 2009 or 2010, it accounted for only around 5-10% of the users on Gaia. It was not even the most popular virtual world back then. Still, I loved that bugger and am sorry to see it gone.

Dedicated Hellraiser

11,175 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle
Gothor Salvator
Myrielle

I can't really claim that I know their thought processes. There had been some explanations thrown about to dispel speculation of users by other users, but sadly, I neglected to keep a record of them.
I would like to say that the staff did genuinely want to keep zOMG around and did try to get it fixed. Unfortunately, the code proved much too robust and old for the devs to handle it within a reasonable period even with the help of a former zOMG developer. Someone threw around the concept of Heartbleed; perhaps it was Zero Omega himself. I can't really give you a technical explanation aside from the similar situation of uncovering a hidden bug that led to the ability to reveal way too much information that could possibly be exploited at some later date. While fixing it was a possibility, it was just not feasible given the amount of time, manpower and money involved in repairing the problem. I have no idea what goes into making the code of a now-outdated platform, but I can see that there are tasks that are just not fixable within a certain window of possibility. Rather than risk the entire population of Gaia, the staff had to make that difficult decision to cut of the disease limb. It's just sad that the limb was zOMG.
I've played zOMG since open beta until a few months after the release of DMS and I gravitated to other aspects of Gaia like even go deeply into Heralds of Chaos. I managed to max out my level there, but the game ultimately died as well. I also went to the sister site Tentacl.com and I also maxed out the old cap of level 50 before they added level 51 which nobody broke before the site was taken down. Even before Gaia, I've had old forums vanish into the ether. I am no stranger with having the rug pulled out from under me, you see. I guess that did give me some lessons on how to roll with the blows and find other things to keep me occupied.

I digress. I can't really tell you about the nuts and bolts of the reasons to anyone's satisfaction except my own. I guess I am willing to just take that explanation and just go on with my Gaian experience. After all, Gaia was around without zOMG and it will continue to do so after it's gone. As nice as it is to think there are a ton of users playing zOMG, even at its peak in 2009 or 2010, it accounted for only around 5-10% of the users on Gaia. It was not even the most popular virtual world back then. Still, I loved that bugger and am sorry to see it gone.

Ahh. I see. Things sure change fast, it seems.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff