Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Codger

8,600 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
sailoranimecode
WideEyed
In the interest of keeping as much straight as possible, here's a POST which says that Soul Crash is not the "New Game", so maybe our initial fears of it being tied to Facebook are premature?

Maybe. It's hard to say, until more info about the new game comes out.
God. I really hope it's not a FB game. I %&^$* HATE FB and their games. I tried with Monster Galaxy, I really did, but it runs so slowly and costs way too much real money to actually advance. . . Damn it. Just as I decide to come back to zOMG after my hiatus.

. . . Isn't that just a kick in the teeth?

Profitable Lunatic

WideEyed

That's pretty much my point. There will be that grinding and badge getting that is where everyone will be at. Although trying to get past the green rooms and kill Kamila over and over to make all the recipes if that's something that interests you that will take the casual gamer a very long time. I would say at least 6 months or more. Now if that gamer wants to hardcore and get that s**t done with playing 6+ hrs a day or more then yeah it will be a lot less time, but I would say why do that to get yourself burnt out. Look at the majority of those who have beaten Kamila and crafted things they are bored and they were in such a rush.

Unbeatable Lunatic

13,350 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tipsy 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
Grace Gubreez
WideEyed

."

Wow just heard the news today. Have to say I agree with everything you said.

And....what they are showing us as the new "replacement" for zomg.....is not a GOOD replacement....

D: Could you link me to the post or thread where they are showing what the replacement is...I never wanted zOMG to die, I still enjoy'd it v.v But what is this "new game"?

Junior Seeker

The only reason why I came back from a year of hiatus was because DMS was released. I had gotten bored of SS/EB and just came back occasionally to check for updates and events. I have to admit, once I get bored of DMS, I won't be coming back if there's no new content.

Magnetic Sex Symbol

15,050 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Wall Street 200
what do you mean no more? I can still play it.. are they going to disable the game?
Gaia is a buisness, so I somewhat understand the decision. If it's for the sake of making money, buisnesses will happily screw over all of their customers. Buisnesses exist to make money, not to make friends or to make people happy. Charities do that, and Gaia isn't a Charity.

That said, I don't like how they treat us. I feel like the executives have been treating us like we're the idiots that they want to keep hidden in a quiet little corner to themselves. Whenever we get too loud, they release some small update or new cash shop item to pacify us so that we'll shut up again.

I also don't like how the money we've been spending on the Zomg cash shop items has been likely been flowing into the facebook games that Gaia's been developing. Honestly, devoting all your time and money into something that's not even going to go on your site puzzles me. I don't see any sense in it for the long run. Why make a game that attracts people to someone else's site when you could use the same game to attract people to your own? It'll work as long as the Facebook fad continues, sure, but when Facebook becomes the new Myspace it'll likely crash and burn. Along with the money we spent to support Zomg.

So then, ultimately, they've accomplished nothing for their own site. Instead, all they did was deepen their own pockets and make loyal users feel resentment towards the site. As long as they have sheep that will follow whatever new fad they're participating in, stuff like this will continue forever, since, like I said before, it's not about making friends, it's about making money. If something doesn't make the amount of money that they deem acceptable, it'll get shut down eventually.

And, honestly, though I do love the game, i think that if the plug was pulled on Zomg, while a small amount of users would be enraged and sad at it's absence, the rest of the site would mourn it's passing about as much as the internet mourns the overdue death of an overused meme.

Party Gaian

20,425 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
Since OP isn't going to wall of text, I will, because I've had some time to think about this since my initial ******** THIS s**t post. That and its 3:30AM, no one is gonna read this.

I'm trying to stay positive about this, but I can't. Half the cause of me being upset is the foreclosure aspect on zOMG, the other half is me finally fed up with Gaia's incapability to follow through with something they plan to do. The s**t we've seen in writing, confirmed to be truths, plans on the slate that we know about, NEVER coming to fruition because some stupid new idea comes along, cheaper and easier. I've been a customer since 2003. Some ******** integrity, transparency, just a warm body at the zOMG developing table is all I ask! I'm sick of the roadblocks to Durem. Talk about a dream deferred! Buccaneer Boardwalk hasn't even been loaded up with crazy little mini games and silly side quests! PIRATES I never get to meet!

And what do I do on that dark day that zOMG dies? Go back to the forums, where an old relic like me is neither read, respected nor revered? Not appealing. For me, the days of making friends in forums are over. Do I hang out in towns and yell SMOB like an idiot? Tempting. Fill Gaia's coffers so they can continue to develop new s**t that loses taste like cheap gum? I'd be hard pressed to do that.

Look, the new "high fantasy" looks sweet and all, but I'm gonna be realistic here, case specific to me. "Strategy" just reads like FINAL FANTASY to me. Thinking ahead stops short at assigning buffs/debuffs and defibs to six people. That is why zOMGs format is just so perfect for me. I run at about a 3 meg when everyone else in the state runs at about a 15 meg. My laptop is from 2004 and still has factory installed hardware. Regardless, I run crews for hours, from hive to smeb and beyond, booyah. cool

But more to the point, I'm 20 and I'll buy bills and groceries and cigarettes before the I get the amazing super computer I'm gonna need to play the new hotness. I have a life in the real world now and I cannot start getting into hardcore strategy games, especially one that plans to overtake it's predecessor. And those who can? Face it. Kids here are 13-18 and residents of facebook first, not Gaia, and most of them have loyalties to school and sports teams before either of these websites even come into consideration in their top 10 life activities.

And how well is monster galaxy doing on the facebook? Oh, you mean it's come over to be on Gaia full time? No big surprise here smile

There is a saying, "If you build it, They will come." The Gaia team just doesn't get it... The world map, the 2 dimensional world map that I USED to use to get around, to shops and forums? hasn't been updated since 2006, at BEST. The most basic thing! Gaia stopped producing games that were Gaia Brand and let OMGPOP put it's smelly Draw My Thing on the games page. WHY. Way to outsource, jerks. The inventory organizer? Dude, for people with 1000+ items and for all the multi-pose items, it's just a headache, and super inconvenient. Get the message devs! We don't want new s**t, we want new innovations on the s**t that already exists! Madonna didn't just produce Like a Virgin and quit her job, that woman reinvented her brand in every way she could think of for 30 years and STILL sells out STADIUMS. GM still makes Cadillac, they're just not pointy and pimpy anymore, they're sleek and sophisticated for the rugged moneymaker. Instead of making "High Fantasy" the new hotness separate from zOMG, how about putting the new game AND it's dev team INSIDE zOMG. Forget this "port stuff to zOMG later" cop out. I'm not buying it. No one is porting anything once this new project has an identity of it's own, this is an inevitability. Build "HF" into the pre-existing zomg system because that is what makes sense and is more efficient.

I'm not ending this with a "do my bidding or I'm leaving" because I'm not 15 anymore. I'm a pissed customer and I'd rather not write personal letters to every person in the Gaia Office, including the "high foreheads" OP referred to, telling them to stop herp derping.

Jesus effing Christ.
Now there's some passionate for ya.
i hate her.

And what do I do on that dark day that zOMG dies? Go back to the forums, where an old relic like me is neither read, respected nor revered? Not appealing. For me, the days of making friends in forums are over.

I completely agree.

I remember when I first started playing on Gaia and one of my friends in real life was telling me about this new game they were coming out with that he was hoping to be a beta tester for. But I didn't even try it out for a long time. I used to just play jigsaw puzzles, and pinball and talk to a couple friends and play around on towns. I'd post on the forums sometimes or lurk them - the GD and some others. What was I thinking? This was back when I'd make an avatar on tektek that was around 250k and think I should maybe do something cheaper. I made like 5k during a week of hard grinding on jigsaws and pinball, lol.

Eventually I got bored, but one of my friends wanted me to come back a year or maybe longer than that later. So I did and I started "humping" trees in towns for gold. Someone on towns told me Booty Grab was better for gold, and after that I heard of zOMG. My first reaction was that it wasn't very good for gold (compared to BG it really wasn't in the beginning), but I went through all the quests even though. I got to 10.0 after 3 weeks of playing casually. Later on, I started doing the main things people burn their time with after they've gotten to the end - Papa Saw, Shallow Seas and End Boss. I got into sEB for a while. I used to sit on Gold Beach just sweet hearting people until I got a crew. I was on a lot, haha. I got a few 5k badges, the halloween event pumpkin fluff one, the anchors and some others, and I was working on a few. I got my TC to 50k and then I started to get bored.

So I tried to find some other things to do with zOMG. I tried to solo some bosses on hard, and play some instances that people don't normally do like the hive. Took some really long hiatuses. Stopped caring. So far I've gotten 6 accounts to level 10.0, but there's not much else to do that's not incredibly time consuming and repetitive (even DMS). I can't be bothered to reach level 12.0 because the instance takes so long and isn't very exciting. I would have loved a new chapter and more places to explore that didn't require a crew. Of course that wasn't possible with the state of zOMG.

Without zOMG there really is nothing else on this site that would ever make me check back. I used to want some items but only so I could have a nice avatar for zOMG. The forums are an awful waste of time. I normally get ignored or rude responses. Towns is a mess, and none of the other games appeal to me.

But I'm no longer attached to zOMG. I won't miss it. But I'll remember it fondly. And I wish the best for JK, though I never attended a dev meet or actually spoke to him. But regardless, I admire his dedication and how he wanted so much for zOMG to survive and improve. I liked the game set up, and the art especially. It was a good run. heart

Anyway, just reminiscing, you don't have to read all that. xD

Why am I still awake? emotion_facepalm

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
darkness child 555
Zomg has been on the march of death since its first year. It became glaringly obvious to me after i had aquired all the rings and assembled what many would view as an arsenal. within a week that. most people would not see the beautiful social opportunity this game brings to gaia. I will be sad to watch it march the black road to oblivion as it walks the plank out of the minds of those who lack loyalty to it any more. Much the way of the great societies of Rome and Greece. this mighty wonder has fallen. bend a knee and shed a tear the titan has been usurped by its own sons and cast into the eternal pit never again to rise by the Herculean strength it birthed. Farewell my friend. you will be missed.

You sir, have a way with words. smile

I completely agree with your comments regarding zOMG!'s social aspect.
That was one of the first things I noticed about zOMG! as I wandered through VG, trying to recover from Flamingo attacks, and found myself being healed and Buffed by passersby.

I'm not massively social, but have found the interaction with others, and collaborative nature of the game play to be one of it's strongest attractions. I think that, because zOMG! is not your typical "shoot 'em up" or "Sword and Sorcery" MMO, it attracts a different type of player, and while there are the inevitable Noobs, they are generally pretty easily avoided and in the minority.

For me at least, zOMG! is unique, and attracts unique people.
I think it's something rare and special, and if it were to die, I doubt I'd find it's like again any time soon.

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Drift Soul
WideEyed

That's pretty much my point. There will be that grinding and badge getting that is where everyone will be at. Although trying to get past the green rooms and kill Kamila over and over to make all the recipes if that's something that interests you that will take the casual gamer a very long time. I would say at least 6 months or more. Now if that gamer wants to hardcore and get that s**t done with playing 6+ hrs a day or more then yeah it will be a lot less time, but I would say why do that to get yourself burnt out. Look at the majority of those who have beaten Kamila and crafted things they are bored and they were in such a rush.

Well, as long as zOMG! is kept running for the next few years, I might still have a shot at crafting my Blood Bat recipe. xp
It's really the only recipe Item I want to craft from the DMS batch, but I really would like to get t done.

I agree with you about the folks who burned the game out in the first month or two.
They're a level of gamer I'll never be, and to some extent I'm glad of that.
True, I'll never craft, or maybe even get, half of the recipes available, but at least I have something to strive for still.
I remember before DMS opened, I had gotten pretty bored and moved on to other things on Gaia.
It's been great coming back to my favourite game and actually having something work on. smile

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
xKellyTheAwesomeOnex
D: Could you link me to the post or thread where they are showing what the replacement is...I never wanted zOMG to die, I still enjoy'd it v.v But what is this "new game"?

We're speculating that THIS is the new game, based upon what has been presented at some Gaia Panels at conventions recently.

It certainly looks nice, but it just as certainly isn't zOMG!

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Strawberry Black Cat
Gaia is a buisness, so I somewhat understand the decision. If it's for the sake of making money, buisnesses will happily screw over all of their customers. Buisnesses exist to make money, not to make friends or to make people happy. Charities do that, and Gaia isn't a Charity.

That said, I don't like how they treat us. I feel like the executives have been treating us like we're the idiots that they want to keep hidden in a quiet little corner to themselves. Whenever we get too loud, they release some small update or new cash shop item to pacify us so that we'll shut up again.

I also don't like how the money we've been spending on the Zomg cash shop items has been likely been flowing into the facebook games that Gaia's been developing. Honestly, devoting all your time and money into something that's not even going to go on your site puzzles me. I don't see any sense in it for the long run. Why make a game that attracts people to someone else's site when you could use the same game to attract people to your own? It'll work as long as the Facebook fad continues, sure, but when Facebook becomes the new Myspace it'll likely crash and burn. Along with the money we spent to support Zomg.

So then, ultimately, they've accomplished nothing for their own site. Instead, all they did was deepen their own pockets and make loyal users feel resentment towards the site. As long as they have sheep that will follow whatever new fad they're participating in, stuff like this will continue forever, since, like I said before, it's not about making friends, it's about making money. If something doesn't make the amount of money that they deem acceptable, it'll get shut down eventually.

And, honestly, though I do love the game, i think that if the plug was pulled on Zomg, while a small amount of users would be enraged and sad at it's absence, the rest of the site would mourn it's passing about as much as the internet mourns the overdue death of an overused meme.

I can't disagree with a thing you've said.
To them, it's not personal, it's business.
Unfortunately, it's personal to us.
I too find myself wondering about the fact that Gaia seems to be developing properties for Facebook, while having third parties develop properties for their own site. I find it puzzling because they seem to be acting in a somewhat schizoid fashion.
Many companies these days contract out portions of their business to third parties in an effort to cut overhead, and many other companies provide third party services to them.
Gaia seems to be both buyer and seller.

I'm also puzzled, as you are, by all the efforts directed at creating content for other sites while their own site is, in some regards, neglected.

It almost makes me wonder if the Exec has seen a new direction for the Company.
One arm would maintain Gaia, contracting much of the underlying work out to third parties in order to keep costs down, while another arm would focus on creating products to market to other providers.
As a business model, it seems to make sense to generate new revenue streams while protecting existing revenues.
It would be very unfortunate though, if zOMG! were to be one of the facets of the old model that was scrapped in the process.

cxnceited's Senpai

Omnipresent Spirit

17,900 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
maikhelle
what do you mean no more? I can still play it.. are they going to disable the game?

No.

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
i hate her.

You know....the thing about posting something to the Forums is that, regardless of when you post it, it's gonna be there for a while and there's always the chance that someone is gonna read it.
Raises hand. wink
As a matter of fact, I read it a couple of times, just to be sure I got it all.. xp

So anyways, you make a ton of good points, but what really stands out for me is that when you say, quite rightly for so many of us, that we don't so much want something new, as we want the features we already have to be allowed to reach their potential.
zOMG! has all these little doorways all over the game...tiny, teasing hints about what's to come and all most of us ever asked was that a few of these doors be opened to us.
I know I always hoped to be able to explore more of Uncle Kin's world, and honestly expected that some day, I would actually find Mark's Ring somewhere around Bass'ken.
When you consider the potential that zOMG!'s story line had at the outset...all those little dangling threads throughout the game, waiting to be drawn together and woven into the next chapter, and the next, and the next, the care and creativity of it's creators is obvious.
You just have to know that they had so much planned for their game, and for us.
And when you look at all the concept art that has been dangled in front of us by the artists and devs, you have to know that they still loved the game, and still wanted to explore the possibilities and fulfill the promises of it's intial release.
As busted up as we are, I can only imagine how heart broken some of them must be. emo
For them, it must be almost like losing a loved one.

I've looked at the slides of the "New Hotness" (nice M.I.B. reference there! cool , and I can't deny that it's visually spectacular, but it certainly isn't zOMG!, and while anything any of us has to say about it is pure speculation at this point, it certainly doesn't look like it would allow us to use our Avvy's and wear all of the outfits we've lovingly chased and put together of the years.
Neither does it seem to have zOMG!'s wonderful quirkiness that has been a huge part of it's appeal for me.

If indeed it comes to pass that zOMG! is relegated to the shelf, never to see another update or Event, I'll still play because, even though I'm pretty much a non-entity here for the most part, zOMG! is my Home base on Gaia, and it has become something special to me.
To leave now would feel like I was abandoning a friend right when they needed me most, and that's just not part of who I am.
So I'm staying.
Only time will tell what's going to happen and how long we've got, but for now at least, zOMG! remains the same as it's always been, and what it has always been works for me. heart

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
maikhelle

Not disable.
Shelf.

According to [JK] at Friday's Dev Meat, zOMG! is being put into "maintenance mode", which basically means, no new content, no Events, and no further repairs of existing glitches.

He says that Gaia HQ has other priorities.

When I say it is finished, I am merely speculating. Reading between the lines as it were, because zOMG! has been pretty much put on the back burner by Gaia for quite some time now, and does not appear to figure in their plans for the future.

The way I see it, even though the end is not now, it is inevitable.
With no Dev's to maintain and fix code, sooner or later it will break to such an extent that it will be deemed not worth the time and expense to fix, and then they'll just pull the plug.

I have no idea when it will happen, or even if it will happen when you get right down to it, but, based on past performance, I'm pretty sure the count-down has begun.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff