Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
***EDIT***
I figured it was about time I updated the OP on this to reflect the fact that we have heard from both [JK] and Swarf since it was written, and they both have said that zOMG! will not be being taken down.
While it is true that we've been put into "Maintenance Mode", and that means that there will be no new content, no Events and no new glitch repairs, the Servers will continue to be cycled and the game kept up and running. They even held out the faintest glimmer of hope that, when things settle with their new properties, they might be allowed to come back to work on zOMG!, so it's not as bad as it first appeared.
So if you decide to read the rest of this Topic, keep in mind that it was written when the news was still fresh and we hadn't yet heard from Swarf and [JK].

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Well, seeing as I just read Environmental Unity's Topic in the GCD about half an hour ago, the news is still pretty fresh and I haven't yet really managed to sort it out.
Needless to say, I came straight to the z!F to not only get greater detail, but to see how my fellow zOMGaians were taking the news, and through them, gain a better understanding of exactly what this all means for zOMG!

Imagine my surprise to find almost nothing! No outrage, no empassioned debate, no analysis. Just the odd observance here and there.

Not to be overly dramatic about it, but for me personally, reading the news had an actual physical impact that I felt in my chest.
The same sort of thing that I feel when I'm struck with sudden and unexpectedly bad news about someone I know and care about, and I'm surprised to find the z!F so still and calm.

Is it possible that people just haven't heard the news yet, or that people have resigned themselves to zOMG!'s ineveitable demise?
Or perhaps it's that the passionate zOMG! Community is simply too shocked and hurt to discuss it yet.
I don't know.

All I know is that, the way I see it, this is the end of zOMG!
Sure it'll stay up and running for a while, but inevitably, what resources it has now will be directed elsewhere, the game will be neglected and ultimately, be seen as requiring more than it is worth to even maintain.
One day we'll get a Dev Notice that, like some other neglected and under utilized features on the site, zOMG! will have developed more issues than Gaia can rationalize repairing, the plug will be pulled, and zOMG! will die a sad and ignoble death, with only a few remaining stalwarts left to mourn it.

I think I might actually cry... crying .

zOMG! is what brought me to Gaia a little over two years ago, and despite it's limitations, glitches and seemingly never-ending dance upon the precipice, it has been what kept me here.
It's sly and sweet humour still appeals to me after countless hours spent roaming it's varied and lush environs, it's soundtrack as familiar to me now as the songs of my youth to which I still retreat when confronted by the discordance that is what popular music has become.

Sure there are other games out there.

But they're not zOMG!

Nothing else I've seen advertised has captured my imagination, and while pretty, I doubt that "High Fantasy" will prove any different.

After having spent the vast majority of my long (compared to the avergae Gaian's) life, eschewing gaming, I found something that fit me perfectly, and made me understand why gaming can be such an impactful element in people's lives.
zOMG!, is not just a game, it's a Community. One that, like any community, has it's good and it's bad, but unlike many communities, has a passionate, involved and devoted following, that would make any political leader drool with envy.
Ever since the beginning of the end, a little over a year ago, this Community has come together and worked tirelessly to save their game. To save their home.
They've organised drives, Events and letter writing campaigns, and spent, spent, spent, in order to prove zOMG!'s financial viability, and just when it seemed that their ardor and faith were to be rewarded, right in the midst of the annual Love-Fest that is the Gaia Anniversary, the rug is pulled out from underneath them.
I can't help but feel betrayed. That all of the time, money and love that I and others have directed at saving zOMG! has been callously ignored, and that, in some way, we were being used as a test demographic.
If a small batch of dedicated users could generate as much money as we did, just imagine how much more could be made if a similar game could be made available to the massive audience that facebook can offer.
I can see the rationale, but I suspect that the tall foreheads at Gaia HQ may be disappointed when they find that the average FB user has the attention span of a humming bird, and the loyalty of a Gaian Executive.

Anyways, a quick proof-reading of what I've written so far, shows that I am on the verge of building an insurmountable wall of text, so, as is my wont, I will leave my final thoughts on the matter in the form of a poem.
My thanks to any who get this far.

Eulogy for a Friend

The King is dead.
Long live the King.
Make free your Pets
And Salvage your Rings
Redeem your Orbs for a piece of Gold
Assaults on The Keep, for e'er withhold.

Fond dreams of new adventures, passed
Our noble friend has breathed his last.
So don your shroud, a sad dirge sing.
The King is dead.
Long Live the King.

Tom Hanks in You've Got Mail: "It's not personal. It's business."
Meg Ryan: "It was personal to me."

Lonely Member

8,225 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I'm shocked... but now I have no reason to get attuned, really...

Romantic Shapeshifter

9,675 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
crying What no more zomg crying

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Loki_Dragon

Not "no more zOMG!" so much as nothing new, and no Events ever again, until it finally dies from neglect and lack of interest.

Romantic Shapeshifter

9,675 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
WideEyed
Loki_Dragon

Not "no more zOMG!" so much as nothing new, and no Events ever again, until it finally dies from neglect and lack of interest.

But i just finished shallow seas yesterday. I finally have all normal rings and am leveling them up for DMS. Whats the point if zomg is on the slow burner for death.

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
sailoranimecode
I'm shocked... but now I have no reason to get attuned, really...

I know the feeling.
I mean, it's not like anything has really changed.
I still have Kam to beat for the first time, and a Bloodbat recipe to craft, but somehow knowing that there'll never be anything new again, that I won't be racing around zOMG! with my Fleet and Hunter's Bow, sniping Easter Eggs next month, or ever see Barton decked out for Trick-or-Treats again, makes the whole thing seem kind of pointless and sad. emo

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Loki_Dragon
WideEyed
Loki_Dragon

But i just finished shallow seas yesterday. I finally have all normal rings and am leveling them up for DMS. Whats the point if zomg is on the slow burner for death.

I honestly don't have a good answer for that question.
I too am feeling rather abandoned and aimless with regards to zOMG! right now.
At least you still have DMS to experience, and it is definitely worth experiencing!

Still, I can't see me getting the 8800 blood droplets I still need in order to craft my Bloodbat recipe.
That would be months, if not years of grinding, all for an Item who's soul purpose, (for me at least), was to wear while playing zOMG!

With zOMG! officially pronounced dead, there's not much inspiration for that long a quest to be honest.

8,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Saw the GCD post too which brought me here to see how this forum is taking it.
I don't understand Gaia. Why are they doing this?! So much time was spent waiting for "battle" and I really enjoy playing Zomg even if I don't do it all the time. They need to focus on what the site already has.

Romantic Shapeshifter

9,675 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
WideEyed
Loki_Dragon
WideEyed
Loki_Dragon

At least you still have DMS to experience, and it is definitely worth experiencing!

Still, I can't see me getting the 8800 blood droplets I still need in order to craft my Bloodbat recipe.
That would be months, if not years of grinding, all for an Item who's soul purpose, (for me at least), was to wear while playing zOMG!

With zOMG! officially pronounced dead, there's not much inspiration for that long a quest to be honest.

really whats the point now for me trying to get a bloodstone item. If i want into DMS i will have to wait for the free passes. This makes me sad. No more events either. I was looking forward to both Easter and Halloween events this year.

King Noob

wow seeing that zomg is a multiplayer game only a crystalball will determine if players will leave zomg for the new game...

I thought gaia website could barely afford zomg wouldn't it cost more to start from scratch instead of working on what they have already? >.<

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Nisailei
Saw the GCD post too which brought me here to see how this forum is taking it.
I don't understand Gaia. Why are they doing this?! So much time was spent waiting for "battle" and I really enjoy playing Zomg even if I don't do it all the time. They need to focus on what the site already has.

I think it comes down to the last two lines of my OP..."It's not personal. It's business."

I think that DMS proved to the Higher Ups, that people would spend serious money to advance in a game.
The thing being, zOMG! is limited by the size of it's Gaian audience and the platform on which it runs.
By creating a new game, one that they hope will have the same broad appeal as zOMG!, but one that is based on a newer technology, and make it available to the admittedly massive FB audience, I think they hope to attract the same huge palyer bases as some of the bigger on-line games.
And the revenues that go with huge usership.

To be honest, it's not unreasonable.
It's just cold, impersonal business.
It just seems incongruous when superimposed upon the "Community" aspect of zOMG! and Gaia that the Executive so loves to play upon.

Fluffy Bunny

22,650 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Personally, I'm not surprised that they aren't working on zOMG or adding anything new to it for a while. DMS is still relatively new, and a large percentage of users still have yet to complete it, let alone complete any recipes. We still have TONS to do in DMS, and it will keep us busy for a long time to come. It makes sense that they would work on other things in the mean time, while we still make our way through DMS.

Before DMS was released, the world and his wife has beaten EB a bajillion times, so we were in need of something new. But now we have something new, and something HUGE at that, that takes many many hours to do. This doesn't mean the end, it's just a rest for zOMG.

King Noob

WideEyed

."

Wow just heard the news today. Have to say I agree with everything you said.

And....what they are showing us as the new "replacement" for zomg.....is not a GOOD replacement....

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Grace Gubreez
wow seeing that zomg is a multiplayer game only a crystalball will determine if players will leave zomg for the new game...

I thought gaia website could barely afford zomg wouldn't it cost more to start from scratch instead of working on what they have already? >.<

If you follow this Link to the Topic in the GCD, you'll see that they already appear to have a lot of it done.
These things don't happen over night, so I would imagine that this is what the creative staff that was "re-assigned" last year has been doing.

I don't know if it's a case of Gaia not being able to afford zOMG!, so much as it being that zOMG! could never generate enough revenue to justify the resources needed to keep it alive and growing.

If, as [JK] said at the Meat, Shockwave is a dead technology, zOMG! is dead along with it, and can never grow to the extent that something based on current tech could.

I think this was a done deal long ago, and we were too blinded by hope to see it.

Original Genius

16,250 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
Loki_Dragon
WideEyed
Loki_Dragon
WideEyed
Loki_Dragon

really whats the point now for me trying to get a bloodstone item. If i want into DMS i will have to wait for the free passes. This makes me sad. No more events either. I was looking forward to both Easter and Halloween events this year.
Exactly, I've been questing the bloodstone gem for such a long time, and finally got it, selling the items I don't need but really want, and deciding if it's worth it, such a waste if zOMG is gone.
zOMG is the ideally the main reason why most users get onto Gaia, and I am included, so if zOMG is gone then... no more Gaia emo

Plus, the new game that they're putting much efforts on, looks like it's just going to be one of those games on FB, useless

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff