Welcome to Gaia! ::

Prop Concepting

Similar to the environment itself, individual props located in any given level go through a concepting phase too. There are usually quite a few designs that are unused after this process, since we are limited by time and resources. The ones that do get chosen continue on to be created in 3D and used in game.

Many times prop concepts are done right inside the overall environment concepts, and this is how many of our levels were handled. After the whole environment is created, the individual props are extracted out and used independently.

Here are some example concepts for props used in Otami Ruins and Sealab Compound. Many of these you'll recognize, while others never made it any further than the paper it was drawn on.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size

Full size

Next time I'll start getting into more of the Maya 3D end of the creation process--

Previous topics:
Overview of Environment Art Pipeline

Concept to Flash Implementation

Vicious Nerd

10,900 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
Interesting o.o

Otami has some weird plant life.

Any chance of something from OA? I love me some OA. >.<;;

O.G. Nerd

These are some really cool concept drawings. Otami is by far one of my favorite areas, so these are really nice to see ^^

Fashionable Hunter

7,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
sweetness! heart heart

Dangerous Businessman

8,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

Casrial's Bae

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Otami is one of my favorites when it comes to the environment. I just think it looks so cool. I see the tree got changed a little bit.

Witty Shapeshifter

Okay, now those sketches are awesome.

T'would love to see some of the prop sketches from Zen and / or VG! I love some of the props on those maps, so... >u>

Enigmatic Duelist

i really like zen garden when the blossoms were falling , now their just plain...is there anyway to bring that back?
Wow! Thank Otami is my favorite area. Thanks!
Nice biggrin

Familiar Lunatic

Sweet Otami stuff. My fav area in terms of look. And chaos.
The mushrooms... Have faces. That is all.

In my whole zOMG career, I've reached the Sea Compound something like half a dozen time.
Always in a blase of lag. Haven't covered most of the map yet. Blasted computer. >.<
twister of shadows
i really like zen garden when the blossoms were falling , now their just plain...is there anyway to bring that back?
I think this lead to severe performance issues. Pasta.
I love the concept art for Otami Ruins. Really. I think the art in the actual game, combined with the music, is awesome.

It's probably the best-done map of the entire game.

I especially love the music for it. When I'm listening to it on my ipod IRL, I totally picture myself in there.

I'd love to see more exotic plant life, though. D:

Familiar Lunatic

CleoSombra
I love the concept art for Otami Ruins. Really. I think the art in the actual game, combined with the music, is awesome.

It's probably the best-done map of the entire game.

I especially love the music for it. When I'm listening to it on my ipod IRL, I totally picture myself in there.

I'd love to see more exotic plant life, though. D:
Exotic as in trying to kill you? That's the only thing missing in Otami. Along with rolling-ball of stone and pit filled with crawlies type of traps.

I'm not sure how deadly plants would work story-wise. We already have garlic, thought.

The music that plays when the event starts is just plain fudgin EPIC.
cool. i like the mushrooms. : )

Familiar Lunatic

Virtual Aids
cool. i like the mushrooms. : )
Yar, love em' too.
They don't really fit Otami, thought.
The style, yes. The, theme, not quite.
It's just that I don't expect such kind of mushroom in a jungle.
But what do I know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces