Welcome to Gaia! ::

How well did this tutorial help you?

Yes - Amazing difference, this ought to be a sticky 0.47969991173875 48.0% [ 1087 ]
Yes - Moderate difference 0.24448367166814 24.4% [ 554 ]
Yes - Minor difference 0.12577228596646 12.6% [ 285 ]
No - I was unable to notice a significant change 0.15004413062665 15.0% [ 340 ]
Total Votes:[ 2266 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 69 70 71 > >>

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. walking for Dart000

didn't know about the hertz. we'll see if it helps or not.

i dont think i'll be trying pipeline though.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.my eggie/hatchling
I agree to powderedvinegar :3

Hype Master

18,000 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
I tried this, Jan, and though it made the pages load quicker, it didn't make zOMG run any smoother. It's still jerky and difficult in Firefox for me.
MUCH smoother in Safari.

I also couldn't download the add-on. It's not available for Macs.
Tartarga

Enjoy trying this jan mrgreen

If you guys do this and the comp is slower now, just undo everything. Set everything to default and that is all

MozillaZine thread : lul

Rofl provided by an experienced vendor way more then me 3nodding but yeah there are many variables to try out and it does depend on the persons PC and Connection I believe the current pipelining tutorial which I provided is the really basic, user friendly and most of all conflict free.

I am currently working on some more advanced pipelining methods, I shall definitely enjoy going over the additional variables which you just provided Tartarga no wonder you often PWNE me in the MP rofl

PowderedVinegar
perhaps redo the thread while it's early and take page one and two.

and then, for details and advanced settings: users can go to page to, this way it's much less cluttered and users who aren't as... advanced, won;t explode from information masses XD

I have considered this when creating the thread and no worries, the "thread open" post can be used for additional content but if it comes down to it I'll sure make a new thread. So far since opening this thread I already have quite a bit of feedback and research and development to conduct, not to mention further user testing xd

-x- CocoNoire -x-
I tried this, Jan, and though it made the pages load quicker, it didn't make zOMG run any smoother. It's still jerky and difficult in Firefox for me.
MUCH smoother in Safari.

I also couldn't download the add-on. It's not available for Macs.

I cannot confirm if Add-Ons work on Mac's but I guess that the links which I provided are for the PC, did you try to search the mozilla site for them?

Try this method select Tools> Add-Ons> Get Add-Ons> Browse All Add-Ons. The search for adblock and noscript. I presume the Firefox version should recognize if your running a windows, Linux or Mac based version of Firefox. Also ensure you have the most recent version of Firefox which is version 3 I believe.

Shy Werewolf

Nice to meet you.

Just one thing. Are you sure the PDA still causes framerate issues? Qixter said they cleared it up rather quickly.
Have a good day.
Since I believe most of the lag is actually on my computer's end I'm not sure how much these will help, but I sure will try them! But before I attempt the pipelining: what is it? What does it do? And in case you've had to answer this question before, you might want to add that to the front page. Some people aren't very willing to try something on our computers if we don't know what it does.

Shy Werewolf

MistressBebop
Since I believe most of the lag is actually on my computer's end I'm not sure how much these will help, but I sure will try them! But before I attempt the pipelining: what is it? What does it do? And in case you've had to answer this question before, you might want to add that to the front page. Some people aren't very willing to try something on our computers if we don't know what it does.
Nice to meet you.

Computers can never do two things at once. It may seem like it can do a ton of stuff at once, but that's just because of how fast it switches. Well, your computer normally switches around incredibly fast between things. Pipelining makes it so that it stays doing one thing for the program at a time, instead of doing them all at once. In some cases it helps.

Thing1 > Thing2 > Thing3 is the order it should go in.

Pipelining makes it so that Thing1 is completely downloaded before it starts downloading Thing2, and etc. with Thing3.

Not pipelining means that it downloads them all at the same rate. As a random number pulled out of a hat, let's go with 10%.

Thing1 - 10%
Thing2 - 0%
Thing3 - 0%

Thing1 - 10%
Thing2 - 10%
Thing3 - 0%

Thing1 - 10%
Thing2 - 10%
Thing3 - 10%

Thing1 - 20%
Thing2 - 10%
Thing3 - 10%

etc.

Was that too confusing? User Image
Have a good day.
Bladeglory
Nice to meet you.

Just one thing. Are you sure the PDA still causes framerate issues? Qixter said they cleared it up rather quickly.
Have a good day.

It's true the PDA map does not cause much of a frame rate issue but when closed and you have less active HUD the ingame transitions definitely load quicker and smoother. A good example is lets say you go into Barton with the PDA map open and observe the animation it's jerky and does take a while longer, then repeat the same process with the PDA closed and you can see a considerable difference in both animation and loading times. I use this as an example because it's the easiest one visually, the normal map screen transitions are also smoother.

Divine_Malevolence
Interesting.
Two things.....
1)Google Chrome. I've not heard anything bad about it, but firefox and IE have had plenty of complaints.
2)Even though I've probably allready threatened your clan, I must restate it now. Clan blood shall flow.

1. Firefox is on the forefront of Opensource, it's definitely the people's favourite browser and 2nd largest used browser to date. I know being the popular choice does not make it the best, however it's performance and add-ons are amazing with the addition of manual pipelining gives both good pc, bad pc, good connection or bad connection a method to improve their online experience.

IE7 is preferred by some people, I dislike the copy of FF2 they did with it and it's installation file size is less then desirable.

Complaints, well people always complain about something. It's a case of 1 is it a genuine complaint for functionality issues or 2 user error? it's tough to answer this but most complaints need to be evaluated from a subjective view to validate and justify it. With PC's, Linux or Mac's there are many hardware variables, softwares installed and ISP local connections making PC bug reports tediously tough to analyse unless they provide a Dxdiag which Mac's cannot do as far as I am aware.

In regards to google chrome, I'm taking a neutral stand on it for now it's too new and I want to see how it progresses but it does seem to have a fan base of users, I'll definitely investigate it another time.

2. Totally irrelevant to the topic, this tutorial is to help the zOMG community enjoy the game and I welcome all subjective feedback or criticism as long as it's on topic of making the user experience better.

Dapper Capitalist

I figured you would make one of these things! Let's hope it's highly used!
Bladeglory
Nice to meet you.

Computers can never do two things at once. It may seem like it can do a ton of stuff at once, but that's just because of how fast it switches. Well, your computer normally switches around incredibly fast between things. Pipelining makes it so that it stays doing one thing for the program at a time, instead of doing them all at once. In some cases it helps.

Thing1 > Thing2 > Thing3 is the order it should go in.

Pipelining makes it so that Thing1 is completely downloaded before it starts downloading Thing2, and etc. with Thing3.

Not pipelining means that it downloads them all at the same rate. As a random number pulled out of a hat, let's go with 10%.

Thing1 - 10%
Thing2 - 0%
Thing3 - 0%

Thing1 - 10%
Thing2 - 10%
Thing3 - 0%

Thing1 - 10%
Thing2 - 10%
Thing3 - 10%

Thing1 - 20%
Thing2 - 10%
Thing3 - 10%

etc.

Was that too confusing? User Image
Have a good day.

That explains it very well. Thank you. ^^

Additional question: In my past experience with Gaia games if I don't leave at least one window with regular Gaia and update it every once in a while I'll get logged out and the game will start glitching. Would leaving one page open really slow down zOMG that much? I understand that changing pages or refreshing Gaia will slow down the game while it's happening, but a page just sitting there?
MistressBebop

That explains it very well. Thank you. ^^

Additional question: In my past experience with Gaia games if I don't leave at least one window with regular Gaia and update it every once in a while I'll get logged out and the game will start glitching. Would leaving one page open really slow down zOMG that much? I understand that changing pages or refreshing Gaia will slow down the game while it's happening, but a page just sitting there?

Interesting question, one which I definitely did not consider. usually when I play zOMG I do leave Gaia in the background but often avoid the homepage because of the animated advertisements which do cause slow down to the game for most users. The best pages to be on are static idle pages like your clan forums as the usual forums have the "Forum Pulse" feature which would also cause slow down. I would recommend going to the clans, market place, or even an NPC store whilst playing zOMG.
Divine_Malevolence
1) Second largest?
What's the first?

2)On topic or no, all clans that make themselves known by the zOMG! forum, I must threaten.

Browser Share

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

The blue is IE sigh, orange is Firefox and then miscellaneous others.

2. ... right rolleyes
3.1b is way better than 3.0.5 or whatever the current stable that is out. I posted a topic about that as well. Also, you can configure firefox for automatic cache clearing on every restart. And eBooster (Windows XP version of readyboost) increased the threshold by 50% for when zOMG was crashing things. Actually I'll just post to my other topics lol... I had long performance one too, but it's not as in depth as the ones I've seen here.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/zomg-gaia-s-mmo/for-those-you-who-crash-with-firefox/t.45684619

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/t.45730631_12/#12

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces