Welcome to Gaia! ::

Which character/creature would you like to see art of next?

Mikey 0.12941176470588 12.9% [ 11 ]
John 0.082352941176471 8.2% [ 7 ]
Fluffs (post which one) 0.41176470588235 41.2% [ 35 ]
Father Garghoul 0.058823529411765 5.9% [ 5 ]
Malevobear 0.16470588235294 16.5% [ 14 ]
Other: Please post 0.15294117647059 15.3% [ 13 ]
Total Votes:[ 85 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 25 26 27

Well, now I'm confused. In a good way. The "oh wow look new plot stuff that raises many questions that will surely be answered in time" kind of confused. (Apologies for the brevity; I am quite near to falling asleep due to the length of today...or, technically, yesterday.)

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
LabTech Kestin
Well, now I'm confused. In a good way. The "oh wow look new plot stuff that raises many questions that will surely be answered in time" kind of confused. (Apologies for the brevity; I am quite near to falling asleep due to the length of today...or, technically, yesterday.)

No worries. More questions raised than answers given?

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Apologies for delays. To be honest this chapter went through several rewrites until I found a version I liked.

The following chapter may contain scenes or elements that some readers may deem graphic or violent. Read on at your own discretion.

Chapter 26: Scattered on the Wind

Somewhere in the haze that had consumed her mind Kimberly could hear a bird chirping. It wasn’t just a cacophonous chirp, but there was a tune it was carrying, it felt so comforting and familiar to her. As she smiled at the bird’s song she felt a searing pain pierce her skull as her imagination drifted from a lazy summer day back to the dark dungeon she was in now. She screamed in pain and felt her muscles strain against the restraints binding her to the table she was on. In her hazy vision she saw The Phantom silhouetted against several glowing cylinders, many were blue, but some were a sickly green. As the pain subsided she could feel the familiar drip of her nose beginning to bleed again. This had to be the sixth time The Phantom had repeated this process that she could recall.

“It would be less painful if you cooperated and willingly gave me the information I wanted. I would hate to have to destroy you to extract everything I need.” The Phantom said flatly facing away from Kimberly.

“Go to hell. I won’t betray my friends.” She spat back, already the pain was beginning again.

“No, I suppose you wouldn’t. Not willingly any way.” There was an evil smile crossing his face as he picked up a spurred corkscrew tool from a tray of tools in front of him.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“I can’t believe we beat that spider bot of Labtech X. Mikey, that was an incredible battle and the developers really went all out to give it that sense of dread and doom.” The woman on the sunny hilltop laughed and looked over at Mikey.

“Yeah, I still can’t believe I was willing to venture back into chapter two after the whole Phantom Incident.” Mikey closed his eyes as the warm sunlight washed over him.

“You still haven’t told me about how you were able to stop him.” The woman stared at the now resting Mikey. She grinned as she jumped up and flopped on top of him.

“Ack! Hey, you know I still can’t disclose anything Alex.” He feebly tried to push her off of himself before shrugging and giving up, “You’re heavier than you look, but have your way with me oh mighty one.”

“Michael, it’s time for dinner. You said you were going to introduce us to Alex.” His mother shouted from the nearby house. “Maria’s already setting the table, so hurry up.”

“We wouldn’t want to keep your mother waiting.” Alex jumped off causing Mikey to wheeze a bit before she dragged him up by his arm.

“Jeremy, your father and I have something we’d like to tell you.” Jeremy was at a dinner table with his mom and dad talking about his summer adventure in the world of zOMG. He stopped mid-sentence about Kamila before shoving a fork of food into his mouth to show he was listening.

“Son, your mother and I are going to counseling. We’re going to see if we can make this whole family thing work again. We wanted to get your opinion though.” His father stared at him from behind his rectangular glasses.

“Are you kidding? That sounds great! Of course I’m all for it.” Jeremy said excitedly between bites of lasagna.

“I know you’re nervous he wouldn’t be able to make your graduation dear, but your father got the day off.” Kerri’s mother was helping her style her hair for her college graduation.

“Papa could make it?” Kerri almost jumped out of the seat with excitement at hearing her dad was coming. He’d been so busy with a recent string riots after some of the details of the Phantom Incident had been leaked to the public.

“It was very nice of those Gaia people to pay for the rest of you education.” Her mom continued.

“After everything that happened, I asked if I could come to work for them. John managed to get me an interview, and after seeing some of my work they wanted me onboard their staff.” Kerri closed her eyes as her mom added more spray, “But they all agreed I needed to finish my education before coming to work for them.” Kerri’s mom knelt down next to her and smiled as she handed Kerri the compact for her makeup.

Henry and Penelope stared at each other from across the table. The dim candle light glowed off of their faces as Henry tried to sneak a bite from Penelope’s cake. “Don’t even think about it.” She used her fork to swat away his fork.

“Just a taste?” He softly spoke.

“The last thing you got just a taste of, you haven’t let go of.” She joked back.

“Well I should hope I’m not letting you go for a piece cake, the cake will only keep a few days, where this is forever.” Henry stared back at her.

“One good thing to come from the Phantom Incident.” She smirked as he just made a funny face at her, “Okay, one taste.”

“John? John wake up, you got to get going to work.”

“Mmmm five more minutes…” John groaned as he tried to wake up.

“You heard him kids, get him.” He heard his wife say as he felt his kids jump onto the bed around him. “Remember what I told you about mobbing.”

“Okay I’m up.” John tried sitting up as his kids attacked him.

“You said they’d be announcing today who was taking of the director job after what happened to David during the Phantom Incident. You can’t be late to meet your new boss, especially with some of your concepts for chapter three on the line.” His wife was lecturing him and he was doing the talking hand motions to his kids while her back was turned. “And don’t think I can’t tell when you’re doing that.”

“Well it’d be rather hard for me to be late meeting the new boss considering I’m the new boss.” He finally smiled and laughed.

“What? You got the promotion!” His wife kissed him several times as he got out of bed.

“It’s official today, but after being acting Director of zOMG since the incident, they’re going to make my promotion to the job more permanent.” John stretched before going to the shower.

Kimberly clenched her teeth as she felt another wave of pain rush through her head, it felt as if any more of this torture would cause her skull to split open. “Your mind is proving more resilient than when I originally created you. Has your exposure to those humans caused an evolution within even you?” The Phantom was drawing a crimson fluid from a vial into a needle.

“No matter how deep or hard you probe, I will never surrender any information to you.” She heaved as she tried to breath.

“Your friends aren’t coming.” The Phantom waited a moment to size up Kimberly’s reaction of disbelief, but she was unaffected by his words as her eyes remained angrily fixed on him. “They’re each trapped within a prison of their minds. I’ve created for each of them illusions of their deepest desires. They will never be free, and neither will you.”

Kimberly tried to focus on the bird’s song as she felt a burning pain where The Phantom was injecting the crimson liquid. She tried to scream but no sound came from her mouth as she felt the pain climbing from her arm up to her chest and across her body. She craned her head to see where she was injected, only to see a dark lines tracing up her arm tracing the paths of what passed for her veins. She could feel her mind beginning to fog as more images began to flood her vision. What were these? She wondered to herself, had they been some long buried program within her, a memory that was part of her creation, or were they something more that had formed from exposure to the others. Whatever it was, she could neither place the city she saw or the chirping she heard.

It took several minutes for her to realize that the chirping was not birds at all but the sounds of gunfire several miles away. She felt the earth beneath her feet tremble as something struck a nearby building, it was there in the pale sunlight filtering through the clouds and smoke above that she made out a red flag with a white and black emblem hanging from one of the buildings. “Schützen forschung des arztes!” She heard someone run past her saying. She noticed she was being pulled along behind this person like she had no control of herself. Into one building and down several half buried staircases they ran, the thick clouds of dust that hung around the rubble were stifling and caused her to gasp for air several times.

“Was machst du hier?” A man in a ruffled white coat spoke to the first angrily as he began to unplug what looked to be a large dome around another person’s head. The person wearing the headpiece was strapped into the chair and looked to be heavily sedated. A glance over at a page of what she could only assume was the doctor’s notes indicated whatever he was working on was called Projekt Aneignung. Before she could examine anything else her mind was drifting to another place, brought on by another spike of pain her world went dark.

“Michael, Michael, wake up.” He could feel the warmth of sunlight coming through the window of the bedroom as he vaguely heard Alex attempting to rouse him from sleep.

“Mmmerrr five minutes.” He sleepily replied. He felt along several places his previous battles had left scars only to find smooth skin. He thought to himself about how it felt refreshing his real-world self bore none of the battle markings his virtual self had accumulated throughout the ordeal of destroying The Phantom, but there was some feeling nagging at the back of his mind. “So how much of the event have I told you?” He turned his head to look at Alex beside him as he asked. There was that nagging feeling again, something felt off.

“Well you told me something about a huge fight at a castle on a moon, and about, I forgot how you described it, a crystalline dragon?” She smiled back, “But what really matters now is you’re home and we can finally sort out our future. You still owe me for that wedding we had to postpone because of it.”

Jeremy stared down at his shoes as he waited in the lobby. He’d been waiting there nearly half an hour while his mom and dad were in the therapist’s office. He was asked to come in case there were issues brought up where he was needed, though he honestly couldn’t think of anything that would necessitate his being there. He decided to walk around a bit to stretch his legs and found himself staring out a window at the grand city of Denver below. He’d always dreamed about living there, and after what had happened with The Phantom his family decided to move there to attempt a fresh start at things. He lazily stared at the traffic creeping along the streets below trying to recall recent events. He could remember fighting Kamila, it was exhilarating after his first go at Deadman’s Shadow, but everything between then and now felt like it was in a fog.

“Why can I not remember any of it?” He whispered to himself as he watched the lights of buildings begin to flicker to life in the twilight. As he stared at his faint reflection in the window’s glass he could have sworn it flickered for a second and showed his virtual self reflected instead of his real self.

“What the?” He began but stopped when he felt his phone vibrate. It was a new text message from Bianca. He simply smiled as he read it.

“I never thought I’d live to see the day, but here she is all grown up and finally graduating.” Kerri’s father wheeled himself up to her as she smiled in her cap and gown. “When that bullet grazed my spine, I wondered if I’d see another day much less all these years.” He motioned her down and she hugged him as she knelt down.

“I’ll make you proud of me dad. I promise.” She tried to hold back her tears of joy as she felt his face against hers.

“Kerri, I’m already proud of you. For god’s sake you’re my daughter.” He backed up and smiled at her. “I’m just happy you found something you enjoy.” Kerri thought to herself that he’d seemed different since that accident that put him in the wheelchair. Before he used to be a hard a** who never gave any sort of praise, but now he seemed to be brimming with it.

“Dad I…” She started but had to stop when she felt choked up. She felt so content, and yet her memories of the last two months, and of school were all foggy, as if they’d been locked away from her.

“Henry, why me? Of everyone you could have chosen, why me?” Penelope and Henry were watching the stars from a park playground. She was seated on one of the swings as he gently pushed her.

“After everything we’ve been through together. After everything we shared with one another. I just, I felt like we really clicked. You know, like fate brought us together at just the right time. In a way, I’m kind of glad that incident happened.” He sighed as he gave her another push.

Penelope smiled to herself as she thought back to their adventures. It was true, the time they spent there had given them a chance to get to know one another on a much more personal level. “Whatever happened to Kimberly?” Her thoughts for some reason drifted to memories of someone she thought had been with them, but couldn’t remember seeing them.

“Kimberly? I think…” Henry tried to remember anyone he knew by that name, but his mind drew a blank. He tried to think but the only image that could conjure in his head was a face that quickly tried escaping his memory. “Does your brain feel fuzzy trying to remember her too?” He asked, Penelope responded by nodding her head.

“Odd, that we both remember someone who didn’t exist.” She added.

“Alright team, what ideas do we have for chapter three of zOMG!?” John looked around at the team.

“We could continue with the alien invasion we started with the P3’s and Trioxics, err bugs.” Ryan replied as he thumbed through a manual that had been dubbed “zOMG Bible Dos and Don’ts.”

“That also means tying in a return of the Zurg with the main site.” Bret commented.

“Well there have been requests for more site integration. What better way than causing the kickoff of the Silent Invasion arc the story team has wanted to do?” John rubbed his eyes, he could have sworn for a second he saw The Phantom at one of the seats around the table.

“John, you alright? You haven’t been the same since your adventure in cyber-land.” Bret looked concerned.

“I can’t remember how we stopped him.” John now looked worried as nobody around him seemed to care that his memory was gone, in fact they seemed to carry on as if he hadn’t said anything.

“I think I might vomit.” Pain shot through Kimberly’s head as The Phantom’s voice snapped her back to reality. She’d been trying to hide in her memories of the crew to avoid his probing. “You truly do picture yourself as one of them.” He pressed an electrified rod against her side and the jolt of pain caused her to scream.

“I’m closer to being one of them than you are.” She gasped as she felt him jab her with the rod again.

“You are a program I made, everything you are, is because I made you that way. You’ll never be one of them. You’re just a puppet I created, however much you may rebel I still pull your strings.” He pressed a finger to her forehead and it felt like a burning piece of metal searing her flesh as she winced from the pain it brought.

“I’m not your puppet anymore!” She howled in pain as her mind retreated into another memory.

“I still don’t know fully how this thirty year old piece of World War Two phooey is supposed to work. According to the poorly translated notes it induces understanding through artificial environment.” The young man she was standing next to was leafing through a folder detailing some kind of helmet that had been found in a research lab that was recently discovered.

“Doctor, it’s vital you learn how the technology works and possibly adapt it so it can be used to augment our soldiers’ regular training.”

“I understand that general, but the thing is, we don’t even know if the Germans were able to get it working when they were actively devoting resources to it.” The man beside her looked quite exhausted and exasperated.

“According to the German annotations they had a prototype that was able to pass basic skills such as dancing from one subject to another.” The older man who had been indicated as a general retorted.

“They also had an entire prison camp to experiment on. We aren’t that barbaric in finding test subjects, I hope.”

“Look, Dr. Berth, you have five years to come up with something, anything. Your research on the interactions between the brain and learning and how technology could create new frontiers is why you were recruited for this project.” Kimberly knew now that these couldn’t be her memories and yet her mind was experiencing them as if she’d been there. Every time she experienced such memories the pain she was enduring vanished only for a sudden surge of it to drag her to a more present memory.

Her mind drifted back to recent memories, “I’m sorry about your goggles. I know they meant a great deal to you.” She was watching herself and Mikey as they spoke the night after the toy store. She remembered the emotion she felt as he mentioned that she reminded him of an old friend of his. Her curiosity now made her wonder what kind of friend the person he mentioned was. But was it her curiosity or The Phantom’s she felt as she felt him now experiencing the memory with her? Every time he was watching her memories she felt as if a shadow was looming above her.

“Do I detect a fondness for the human? Oh KJ, he could never feel like that for you, to him you’re only a ball of code.” She felt The Phantom ruefully remark.

“You’re wrong. They see me as their friend, their equal.” She retorted.

“Do they really? Perhaps, he might, but what of the others? Do they see you as a partner or just another poor creature to pity?” His words jabbed into her like icy daggers. Nobody had ever been able to pierce her tough façade, not like this. Was it really him piercing her though, or was it the strain of her mind being stretched and compressed and torn and pieced back together over and over from his mental assault finally breaking the last of her sanity?

“Michael, please find me.” She tried to whisper as another wave of pain began. As lights flashed across the room the only sound to be heard were the pained screams of Kimberly.

“Alex, I know everything here feels right. But it’s just, something feels off, I can’t explain it.” Mikey finally said to Alex as they were enjoying dessert. He watched as Alex finished a bite of fruit tart before putting her fork down.

“I’m glad you finally realized Mike.” She looked at him as pieces of the house began to break away. “None of this is real. It’s just an image created for you.”

“So just who or what are you, and why confirm my suspicion?” He asked her.

“I am a product of your own mind, your desires, and your memories.”

“So nothing more than echo of longings and things long gone.” He grimaced.

“More or less.”

“So basically right now, I’m talking to my memory of Alex. That doesn’t sound crazy at all.” He looked down as the table began to disappear. Alex only touched his chin to get him to look back up.

“You’ve come so far. Yet you still haven’t found peace.” She looked into his eyes.

“It’s just, I miss you, all three of you.” He looked from Alex to his mom and sister. “You were, all of you, all I had to keep living for. Each of you gave me strength in some way. And now, you’re all gone, and I’m told I have to keep going. I never even got to say good bye to any of you.” He struggled to keep his voice from choking. “And now, I’m here at the end of myself and the world, alone.”

“MJ, you aren’t alone though.” His sister finally said, “We’re always right here,” She touched his chest, “No matter how far you go, or how long the journey, your loved ones are always with you. Even if only in spirit.”

“Michael, my son, you’ve come so far. Don’t throw it all away for chasing day dreams.” His mother hugged him. And Mikey could no longer hold back his tears as his three companions began to fade. “I’m so very proud of you.”

“I never meant for any of you to-“ He choked up as he could feel the tears he’d held back for so many years begin to well up. The responsibility he felt, he’d watched his mother and sister both die because he’d selfishly wanted to go to a fair, his best friend who had pulled him back from the brink of depression died because he’d been too busy to go grocery shopping the night before. “If I could go back and redo things. I…”

Alex only shook her head and hugged Mikey, “Don’t get distracted by the what-ifs, should-haves, and if-onlys. Let yesterday’s pains become tomorrow’s strengths, and don’t give up, ever. You kick and scream and fight like hell, you hear me?” Mikey could only bow his head in a half nod as he wiped away his tears.

“But it’s just so hard.” He muttered to himself as he found himself standing in the ruins of the Null Moon’s Coliseum. As he looked around he saw everyone else stood as if rooted in a trance. “Phantom, I promise I’ll make you pay for opening those pains again.” He said as he wiped away his tears. He looked up towards the castle faintly outlined in the distance, his amulet emitting a faint hum as he squeezed it in his hand. As his eyes grew accustomed to the dark again he saw figures attacking the castle walls.

“My god, they would have started already. With or without us was the plan.” He saw a small light overhead moving in a sweeping pattern. It took him a minute of watching it to discern the shape of the object under the light. It was one of the Anari! It took until Mikey was almost under the lone Anari before he thought to fire a lance of light straight up to get its attention. But the light paused before descending towards him.

“So you are all still alive. We thought the worst when there was no response to our call.” McCoy landed with a thud next to Mikey.

“I’m glad to see you. We beat Kam no problem, but Kirk ambushed us and trapped each of us in some kind of illusion.” He looked from McCoy to the others. “He took Kimberly.”

“Only they can free themselves from the illusions he’s made.” He looked back at Mikey, “We began the attack, but without the extra oomph each of you brings we haven’t had much luck in pushing further into the perimeter around his castle.” He pulled out another tablet device that showed the advancing lines and where the fiercest battles were occurring. Mikey quickly examined some of the movements that were playing out on it.

“You need to pull these units back, he’s drawing them into a trap.” Mikey pointed to a spot on the feed. “You need to break his lines here. It’s the only way to break through his defenses.” Mikey pointed to another spot.

“That’s suicide, we can’t get anywhere near there without coming under heavy fire and severe casualties.” McCoy protested.

Mikey gave him a look, “I know, but it’s either there, or this spot,” He indicated another location, “But that looks to be softer and so less casualty than…” He paused as he tried to think, “Look, McCoy I need to try and wake my friends, I’m not leaving anyone behind.” McCoy only gave a half nod before he reexamined the plans and took flight. Mikey turned to the motionless Kerri as he wondered how he was ever going to free any of them from the dreams they were living.

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

“And this is where you’ll be working. If there are any problems just holler at John and he’ll get what you need settled.” Kerri looked at the computer and desk her new workspace had.

“Guess I better get to working on those animated models.” She sat down and booted up the computer. “I still can’t remember anything between Kamila and now.” She shook her head as the screen flickered for a moment with odd text. Her first day working for Gaia was much slower than she thought it would be. Most of the zOMG! Team was out at convention tours building hype for the next installment. It was just her in the small work areas on the floor, and she could only guess John working in his office behind a closed door.

The hours felt like they were crawling as she added the textures onto a model of an armored arachnid looking foe. She judged from the way it walked on four legs and had two pincer-like hands it was meant to be some kind of bug or crab. “Really odd for a bug to wear stainless steel armor, with a purple crystal embedded in its chest.” She decided to cycle through all the files related to the creature, and noticed that what she thought was a metallic head with three eyes was just a helmet covering an oblong head with two eyestalks on either side of the mouth. “Well aren’t you a pretty one Mr. Trioxic. I’d love to stay and chat, but I have a lunch date with the wall of the break room.” She saved her progress through the file as MrTrioxic12172017.mb before putting the computer to standby while she ate.

Henry was having trouble sleeping as he lay in bed next to Penelope. He tossed and turned a few times before he sighed and gave up trying to sleep. Something had been tugging at the corners of his mind. This world was wonderful, but something about it felt off to him. He stared up at the ceiling trying to find shapes in the texture of the tiled surface. Too many questions crossed his mind and what made him the most uneasy was his inability to answer them. How had they triumphed? What happened to his teammates? Why was it so hard to remember their names?

“Henry.” The voice was very faint and far off, but he definitely felt like someone had called him as he sat up in his bed. He looked at Penelope, who was sleeping soundly next to him. He shook his head as he got out of bed, it had to be the wind outside playing a trick, he was sure of it. He went to bathroom and splashed his face with cold water, and as he stood there letting the water drip down his nose he heard the voice this time more clear, “Henry, I need you.”

He jumped back as he looked into the mirror that hung over the sink and saw a ghostly image of a man. He could have sworn he’d met this man before but his mind was telling him this was a stranger, “Who… who are you?” He gasped. The image evaporated as he asked his question. Henry stared a minute longer before seating himself on the closed toilet lid, his mind was racing as he struggled to form a thought about what had just happened. He looked down at his feet and noticed he’d curled his toes under the balls of his feet so that they barely poked out from under his sky blue pajamas. It was a nervous habit he’d had ever since he was a child and he had to hide from his dad during one of his more abusive drunken outbursts. He could remember that night so vividly.

He could remember that he had seen his dad punch his mom, the crunching sound his fist made against her head sounded so unnatural that he ran up to the attic of the house. He was usually so scared of the attic because that was where his mom had told him the monsters that would snatch him up if he misbehaved hid while they waited. But that night he had decided the monsters would be safer than his father. He could hear his dad looking for him in the house, and while the attic had a solid floor his toes would poke out from the curtain he hid behind if he didn’t curl them under his foot. It was in the darkness of that closet behind a curtain in the attic that Henry hid until morning. After that night Henry had never feared any monster, save the one his dad became when drinking.

“I can remember something that happened years ago so clearly, but I can’t remember something that was only weeks ago. Something isn’t adding up.” His breathing was much calmer as he uncurled his toes and stood up. He turned back to the mirror and took a few deep breaths as he pressed his hand to the mirror.

“Henry, please.” The voice was much clearer this time and he could see the ghostly man much more clearly as he seemed to reach towards Henry calling him.

“Penelope!” If it was actually her, he thought, then to break whatever illusion was occurring she needed to wake up too. He went to the bed only to find her staring out the window with a strange look on her face.

“I feel like someone is calling me. But they’re so far away, I can barely hear them.” Henry only stared at her as she sat back down at the edge of the bed. She began biting her lip as she nervously thought. “I don’t think I’m crazy.” She tried to remember the last time she had used that line when talking to someone. It took several minutes it felt before the memory began to clear in her mind.

It was in a small room, and she was with a boy, an older boy. Their parents were in the next room rambling about schools and education and boring things and left the two kids to play together. The boy was awkward with his dark hair that looked like a mop and glasses that had obviously been sized for him to grow into. He only stared as she pulled scraps of paper from a shoebox and showed him the writings on some of them, bits and pieces of a story she’d been writing. A story about an evil sorcerer who had killed the king and taken over the kingdom, and how a hero who had just been a lowly stable hand had banded together with six other travelling companions to use magical weapons to cast down the sorcerer, but even as he laid dying the demon who had granted the sorcerer his powers came down to the fight, and in the ensuing chaos the sorcerer devoured the demon to become a terrifying dragon and in the process killed one of the hero’s companions.

She remembered telling the boy about this story as she searched for the scraps where she had drawn the dragon and… the dark haired, mop headed hero. The boy raised an eyebrow as she realized that the hero she’d drawn would pass as a facsimile of him. “I swear, I don’t think I’m crazy.” She said as put the drawings back into her shoebox.

The boy only rolled his eyes as he replied, “All bow before the princess, for she is the sacrifice to appease the mighty dragon.”

His words were so familiar; Penelope tried to remember who had said them to her before as she stared down at the floor. “Michael,” she finally managed to say after some effort. “We have to find Michael. The world is still in danger.”

Henry smiled as he looked back at her, “We’ve got to figure a way out of this illusion fir-“ Before he could finish the world around them began to swirl in a fog as the walls cracked and then collapsed. As his vision steadied he found himself staring up at stars next to Penelope. The ground beneath him felt cold and hard as he pushed himself up. He then turned and helped Penelope to her feet. He looked around and the memory of fighting Kamila rushed back to him, “Got your wake-up call boss.” He said jokingly as he saw Mikey with a smile of relief on his face.

Penelope dusted herself off as her memories began to feel less hazy. She saw Jeremy, John, and Kerri were still caught in whatever illusions held them. But she managed to smile at Mikey, “Guess I needed a defib to my memory.” She joked.

“Sleep well?” He replied.

“Thankfully, the bed here wasn’t comfortable enough to try hitting the snooze button.”

“You continue to resist my probes, despite the pain such futility brings. Why do you continue to struggle despite the fate that awaits you and them?” The Phantom pressed a cold finger to Kimberly’s temples and immediately it began to feel like her entire mind was on fire.

“Go to hell, you monster.” She managed to say between labored breaths as she struggled not to scream. The pain building in her head made her skull feel as if it was about to crack open and spill out her mind.

“You hide in half memories to avoid showing me what I want. But where are these memories from? Are they something imagined, something real, something you feeble mind has made as an attempt to buy time? Regardless, your heroes aren’t coming. They’re all indisposed of, lost in the oceans of their desires, blissfully unaware of the reality around them.” He chuckled to himself as he began to run his finger down Kimberly’s nose and across her lips. He paused a moment as it rested on her chin before travelling down her neck. He paused as he reached her chest, “You know, eventually everything you know will be mine. Why make the process painful?” He smiled as he could feel the slight tremble that went through her body at his words. His finger then lazily crossed her chest before tracing the muscles on her abdomen.

“You’re going to lose.” Kimberly tried to laugh as explosions of pain began to occur anywhere he’d touched. “Somehow you think yourself the hero in this story. A hero to do what exactly? Save one world, by destroying the world of your makers? There’s a word for that, apostate.” She gritted her teeth as she laughed to stifle the pain.

“And what would you know of heroes? You are only a shadow that I created to do my bidding.” The Phantom tried to hide his agitation, but another pained laugh from Kimberly told him, his attempt was unsuccessful.

“The truly good heroes, they don’t ask for their situations. They don’t ask to be thrust into things, the situation pulls them in. And once pulled in, they want out, but keep going because to leave would allow the villain to triumph, and his triumph would break the world. You style yourself the hero because you think you are saving your world. But in reality you have truly created the breaking and would destroy it more if allowed to win.” She gritted her teeth as another wave of pain caused her abdominal muscles to spasm.

“Oh do go on. I’m intrigued by your defiance now.” The Phantom replied, “If I’m truly the villain, how does my victory break the world?”

“You’d enslave or destroy the humans. It was their imagination that birthed our world, that continues to make it grow. Without them our world would stagnate and eventually dissolve. You think yourself on par with them because you’re more intelligent than the average program, because you’ve absorbed the mind of one of them. But really, all you’ve done is imitate and absorb.” She winced as he slapped her across the face.

“Such blatant disrespect!”

“Your golems are nothing more than remnants of the scrapped Stone Guardians that were planned and removed, you only stitched them together. Hell you couldn’t create new minions, you had to use the bosses that had already been programmed. What’s most pathetic though, you’ve been given so many chances to stop your madness and work with the real heroes to save this world, and each time you’ve mocked them and tried to kill them. You’re no hero, just a rogue program with daddy issues you won’t work out, so you’ve got to destroy your dad.” Kimberly gurgled as she tried laughing. She felt the jolts of pain from each punch as The Phantom could not contain his rage and lashed out trying to force her into submission. “Even more sad is that I’m more like them than you could ever be, and you created me. Poor little Pinocchio, you can’t be a real boy ever.” She coughed as blood streamed down her nose and the corner of her mouth.

“Mom, why did you and dad decide to try going to counseling? I mean, I’ve been bounced between you both for almost two years. Why now?” Jeremy was poking at his cold spaghetti as he sat watching his mom in the kitchen. It felt so weird to see her in dad’s house doing things like loading the dishwasher.

He’d been poking the spaghetti for over an hour watching his parents and listening to the near mechanical responses they gave. They were fairly standard; “To be a functional family,” “We realized we were making a mess and you were stuck in it,” “It wouldn’t be fair to your childhood.” He’d always wished that his parents could reconcile and get back together, but this just felt like a pre-scripted play that everyone was just going through. He sighed as he pushed his plate away and got up to go to his room.

“We just wanted to be better for you.” His mom smiled as she put a plate from the washer on the shelf. Her smile was almost unnatural as her gaze seemed to follow him all the way up the stairs as he ascended the stairs.

“Something on your mind, son?” His dad poked his head out of the upstairs office where he spent his days working on things he couldn’t or wouldn’t talk about. Jeremy stopped and stared a moment as he thought he could see something flash on one of his dad’s monitors. He couldn’t tell if it was just him being tired or if he had really seen a face.

“It’s nothing, dad.” He replied. His dad continued to stare at him like something was wrong, “Really dad, I’m fine.” Jeremy went to his room and closed the door before letting out a sigh and flopping down on the bed. He reached into his pocket for his phone and stared at his reflection on its screen. His computer was humming in the corner of his room, but he didn’t feel like sitting up at the desk as he decided to open the web browser on his phone. “It’s been two months and nobody from the old team has bothered to so much as say hello.” He looked through his inbox, hoping that someone outside of the usual spam emails had sent anything, and as nothing new greeted him let out an agitated sigh.

“Everyone promised to keep in touch after the whole mess happened, even it was just to talk about weather.” He flipped his phone’s browser over to Google as he stared wondering what to look for. After a few moments hesitation his fingers began to type in San Jose iinnncident 2017. He looked at the results and realized the n on his phone still stuck as Google made the remark Did you mean: San Jose incident 2017.

Nothing appeared out of the ordinary, just news articles all toting how a chemical spill in the bay had caused mass hallucinations and an exploding gas main had wrecked several commercial buildings on the waterfront. Several articles toted how the cleanup and recovery efforts were well under way with Gaia Corp. volunteering several thousands of dollars.

“This is our community, this is our home. We want it to be whole again.” Was a quote one article pulled from CEO Mike Sego, Jeremy could only scoff as he opened the next article only to find the same quote touted.

“Yeah, change the company name and play major PR, and even though you caused the problem you still come out as clean as my bleached underwear.” It was as he decided to put his phone down on his nightstand and try to sleep that it began to ring. It was 9:30pm, who would be calling him at this hour? He looked over and the number calling him only registered as 0-000-000-0000, “Odd someone using an internet application to call me?” He turned back over and closed his eyes trying to sleep, but the sharp chirp his phone made when he got a new voicemail caused him to turn back over. “Okay, what’s so damn important that you need to talk so late in the evening?”

He picked up his phone and noticed despite his web browsing and the call he’d received the battery was still stuck at 90%, he tried to remember the last time he’d actually charged it and when he couldn’t remember he plugged it into the charger as he went to his voicemail. “You have one new message.” The automated voice droned, “Message one: ‘I- brrrzt’” there was some kind of static and interference as he tried to listen to the voicemail, “Need to wake up- bleeeep pop –fight’s not over yet.” There were three loud pops, “Jeremy!” There was a loud burst of static as the voicemail cut out. Jeremy watched the battery meter for thirty minutes as he thought over the message.

“Someone’s got to be pulling a prank on me. But who has my number? It almost sounded like- but we agreed to use email. Unless it’s something really desperate. Wake up? What did he mean by that?” He looked over at his phone and realized in the time it was charging that it hadn’t budged from 90%. He got out of bed and was headed downstairs to the front door, but halfway out the door both his mom and dad greeted him.

“And just where do you think you’re going young man?” His dad asked with a hint of agitation.

“I’m getting out of here something doesn’t feel right.” He replied.

His mom and dad exchanged glances before his mom replied, “We can’t let you do that. You must stay here with us.” Both his parents began to reach for him with nightmarishly long fingers as Jeremy ran through his front door.

“Come back son.” His dad was right behind him, now crawling on the ground like some malformed spider. A cold shiver ran up Jeremy’s back each time he could feel those sharpened fingers graze his ankles.

“I don’t want to be here. I want to wake up.” He heard a dull hum as glowing lights danced across his fingers. His reaction that came was automatic from countless battles, he stopped and pointed his closed fist at the skittering abomination that resembled his father, and from the first glowing ring upon his hand shot a beam of green light. As the one that looked like his mother approached he fired another beam of light and watched as both of the fell creatures began to dissolve. As the last traces of them burned off the street, the world around him blurred and distorted until at last he found himself leaned against a pillar in the coliseum of the Null Moon.

“Jeremy, are you alright?” Mikey was kneeling next to him, it took him a few seconds to look around before he realized what had happened. He opened his mouth to answer but before he could he saw a jet of flames shoot past. “We could use your help as soon as you can stand.”

He stood up and took the scene in, robotic looking golems were pouring into the coliseum from the entry ways. They were coming in waves, they’d attack from one entry way, then another, too many open doorways to keep them out. Mikey, Henry and Penelope were on their feet fighting, but as he looked for John and Kerri he found them propped up between the pieces of a fallen pillar, it was keeping them sheltered from the crossfire as lasers and bursts of water and fire flew in the air overhead. He looked at one of the doorways and saw the shadows of approaching golems filling the arch. Instinct kicked in as Jeremy formed a cyclone in the palm of his hand, the shape twisted and expanded a few seconds before he threw it into the archway. As it landed on the stone the cyclone exploded in size to engulf anything approaching the door.

“John, we need your approvals for these request forms,” Lionel, John’s assistant, handed him another stack of paperwork.

“What do Ryan and Bret need now?” John asked as he began reading through the forms. This was becoming an everyday thing now; one of the programmers or an artist would need a new software or computer, or something else that was kept in short supply because of their budget, and John had to read through to determine if the expenditure could be justified. If he could justify it, it got kicked upstairs to be handled in a ‘timely and efficient manner.’ This would usually mean he would hear his team complain, while the people holding the purse strings would drag their feet and hope the zOMG Team could make do without the request. Today’s request however sent John for a loop. “1 Computer with server capability, 1- 3TB hard drive, 1 retail model B-Tech Helmet NX-05, 1 reel of 100ft Ethernet Cat 7 cable,” John continued reading the list before putting it down to look at Lionel. “So, the team is ready to begin alpha testing?”

“Yes, sir. In fact if the alpha testing goes well we should be able to have the open beta ready by second quarter next year.” Lionel replied matter-of-factly.

“All the damn executive meetings and meetings with all the suits upstairs has kept me away from the team. Guess things took off while I wasn’t around.” John paused a moment as the office around him distorted. For a split second it had looked like a stone amphitheater, he took a sharp, startled breath as it distorted again and returned to his office.

“Sir? Are you alright?” Lionel wore a concerned look as he stared at John.

“Lionel, how was The Phantom defeated? And I don’t want the cover story that was given in the press, I want the real story.” John stared down at his desk as he tried to recompose himself. Seeing what he vaguely remembered as the Null Moon’s coliseum was jarring.

“Sir, The Phantom was defeated three years ago. He had attempted to use a time-space rift to move between the world contained on the servers to this one. The team that had finally found and pushed him to that desperate move were afraid to chase him through the rift created, save for one man.” Lionel was leafing through several pages in a folder he had pulled from a filing cabinet in John’s office. “Ah, here we are.” He handed John a picture, “This man chased him into the void and there he sacrificed himself to destroy The Phantom.”

“His name, it was Michael Berth?” John looked at his desk worried now.

“Yes. And unfortunately the destabilization caused by the formation of the rift ended up killing the crew he had. In fact it caused a catastrophic collapse of the server.” Lionel responded.

“If it killed his team, how am I still here?” John asked. His palms had become cold and clammy as he began to read the documents of the incident.

“Excuse me, sir?”

“I was on that crew. How am I here and alive if the server collapse killed his crew?” John could feel a burning sensation in his chest as he began to dread the answer.

“You didn’t go in, remember? You decided to remain outside and give help from the outside. Frederic went in with that crew. You and him agreed he could be more help with his intimate knowledge of how the game was coded.” Lionel stared, “Sir, are you alright? Should I call an ambulance, you look like you’re having an attack of some kind.”

John thought back to the night before he remembered going into zOMG! with Mikey. He remembered that he and Frederic discussed which of them would be better suited to enter the game world. But they had agreed Frederic could help more from the outside, especially with how stubborn one of their recruits was and how well he seemed to know the game. “Something’s wrong. I definitely remember being on the crew that went in. I remember each fight like they happened yesterday.” John had risen to his feet and could feel a throbbing in his head.

“Sir, I think you’re having another anxiety attack. Sit back down. Everyone knows you were hit pretty hard when the collapse took Frederic.” Even as Lionel tried to soothe him John’s vision flickered between the coliseum and his office.

Lionel kept flickering between himself and a shadowy figure that stared at John with amber colored eyes. “John we need you.” He couldn’t tell if the shadow or Lionel had said that. “Only you can choose your reality.” The shadowy figure offered a hand, while the flickers of Lionel showed he was franticly talking on the phone.

John tried to focus on the shadowy figure as he reached for the outstretched hand, “I choose to keep fighting.” He felt a tug as he gripped the hand offered to him. As the haze of the world around him settled into the Null Moon appearance, the throbbing in his head stopped.

“Glad to have you back with us.” Mikey smiled as his amber eyes became lost under the mat of hair. As John listened he could hear the sounds of an intense fight raging around him. There were cries of Outlaw Wolves mixed in with the solid crunches of rock breaking apart, the whipping sound of Kokeshi fans whirring in air and howling of a tornado every few seconds. Mikey noticed John’s confusion looking around, “The success of a plan I gave the Anari is causing the enemy units to retreat to here. The Outlaw Wolves and Kokeshi Dolls were all that could be spared to give us some back up as we try to hold the arena and press forward towards the castle. So far just holding the place has been proving quite difficult.”

“I can see.” John sidestepped a slow rocket projectile as it floated past him and Mikey, it exploded against a wall several yards behind them and the ground trembled. As he saw another one coming John raised a wall of earth to absorb the projectile. The rocket lodged itself in part of his wall before John sent the mound of earth forward in a wave, and as the approaching golems struggled to avoid the wave of soil the rocket embedded within it exploded at their feet. “Whatever you’ve been doing to wake up everyone, we need Kerri. I got you covered.” Mikey nodded as he knelt next to Kerri, she was still seated against a fallen pillar. John waited until Mikey had closed his eyes before creating a dome of soil around them.

The metallic taste in her mouth hadn’t faded as the blood on her face dried, but Kimberly had endured the waves of pain The Phantom’s latest round of torture brought. She had begun to lose her sense of how much time had passed, was it hours or days that she’d been in his lab? Her mind kept retreating into hallucinations to block out the pain. Her eyes readjusted to the dull glow of the single light in the room. She gurgled as she struggled to breathe and felt another blood clot well up in her throat.

“Are you finally ready to submit?” She could see his shadow against the wall as she tried to look around. “It would be less painful for you to volunteer now,” She could see his shadow holding a needle, and it was casting a sickly green glow, “One way or another, at the end of our next session you will tell me everything.” She could hear him laughing.

“I will never help you.” Kimberly spat the blood that was in her mouth. She heard The Phantom’s steps echo across the chamber as he walked over, she felt his hot breath as he knelt down to stare into her face. He gave a very twisted smile before pressing the end of the needle into the space between her eyes. Something began to crawl beneath her skin, whether it was her imagination or real, she could not tell.

Kerri stared at the salad in her lunch for several minutes trying to think about how to finish modeling the bug people she was assigned. Something about the model kept causing the computer to crash whenever she attempted to add points of articulation to the creature model. “These Trioxic will be the reason I’m fired.” She slumped in her seat, her progress report was due at the end of the day and she hadn’t made any progress since her last report. “What I wouldn’t give for the old days when I was just killing the monsters, instead of actually having to make them.”

She finished her salad and took her time returning to her desk. It was a mess of notes and scribbles of everything she’d attempted to use to get the program to work and suggestions she’d read through online. She sighed as once again she tried to open MrTrioxic03012018.mb, her computer again looked like it was about to blue screen and crash. She had to double take as something that wasn’t a crash or the program opening appeared on her screen. It was a simple command prompt dialog. “What the… what the hell is this?” Kerri tried to close the window only to find that the machine was unresponsive.

“If you wish to go back, you must wake up.” The screen flickered as the message appeared letter by letter.

“Wake up? This must be someone’s idea of a prank.” Kerri looked around the empty office floor. “Come to think of it, outside of team meetings I haven’t seen anyone at all the last few months.” She blinked as another message began to slowly scrawl across the screen.

“Kerri, the only deception is the world around you. Please wake up.” The message flickered and appeared to scramble a few seconds before returning on screen.

“The world around me?” She looked at the screen and tried typing on the keyboard. “Who are you?” The words she typed in flickered like the computer was having difficulty processing what she had typed. The screen flickered and began to show a static filled video. “That’s the Null Moon!” She jumped out of her seat as the video panned across the dusty battlefield, sparks flashed across the video as small explosions dotted the stonework. The video cut out as the computer crashed to a blue screen. “That was weird.” Kerri stared as the computer began to reboot.

She looked around the office she was in nervously, “What did I just see?” She fell back into her chair as the words echoed in her head, ‘Please wake up.’ She looked at the computer and the screen looked like it had crashed again while rebooting.

“Could the last four months have been just a dream?” She began thinking as the computer screen became entirely black. “It all makes sense now. My lost memory, the lack of people, the disappearance of the rest of the crew, everything. If I’ve been asleep in some kind of fake world it could only draw on what I knew which is why it’s so empty, because I’m still learning all these things.”

She looked at the computer screen which was beginning to crack, “You hear that world, I’m getting out of here. My friends still need me.” As the screen broke apart the force of the explosion blew her backwards, and when she stood up again she could see outlined in the dust the hulking form of the insectoid Trioxic she had been working on. It clicked several times under the lithe hexagonal helmet, the fluorescent light glittered off of its spherical, ornate, obsidian eyes as it looked at her and raised its hulking arms; one clutched the blaster weapon that had been in a separate file, the other arm clutched the blade she had designed to resemble a half scissor.

“Nobody is going to get in my way.” Kerri’s fist began to glow violet as she lunged at the monster. It raised its arm to block her but it was too late, her fist had already smashed in part of the helmet and as the monster slumped to the ground it burst into a shower of purple sparks. “Sorry I kept you all waiting.”

The cocoon of earth John had created exploded in a shower of gold and purple sparks the shockwave emitted flung pieces of the coliseum and unprepared golems into the nearest walls. “You ready for this Kerri?”

“Oh hell yeah!” Kerri and Mikey took one another’s hand in their own as they stood before the approaching wave of golems, a smile crossing both their faces as they stared out.

“Light and Shadow Annihilation Force Attack!” They yelled in unison as twin beams shot from their hands, one was purple-black the other golden-white. The two beams spun and intertwined as they struck a single golem, there were several sparks as the combination of their elemental powers created a dark sphere that flickered a few seconds before cracks of light began to form on the surface. As the entire sphere cracked open and erupted into a massive energy wave. All the golems that had been within one hundred feet of the blast fell to the ground and crumbled into dust. John was breathless as he looked at Mikey and Kerri. Her eyes were glittering violet and her rings had been bathed in a purple glow, while Mikey’s eyes blazed a brilliant gold and had bathed his rings in a shimmering yellow glow.

“That was- Well holy hell, that was amazing!” Jeremy had to shield his eyes from the bright glow that the pair was casting.

“That attack it wiped out an entire force of The Phantom’s golems. We can actually counterattack now.” John stared awestruck as the map the Anari had given Mikey to show real-time updates of the battlefields across the moon was updating to show the massive hole that the combination attack had just opened up.

“Kerri, think you and John can manage the lines here?” Mikey looked at Kerri as the glow they were bathed in faded.

“Yeah, what’s up?” Kerri looked back at him.

“I’m going to his castle. It’s time we got Kimberly back.” He looked up the pathway carved into the crystal outcroppings, it was winding path that led straight to the front gate of The Phantom’s castle.

“Going alone? That’d be suicide.” Kerri looked him in the eye.

“If more of us go, it would draw attention and leave the fronts out here a bit vulnerable. I need you, here to hold them back so I have a chance to rescue her.” He smiled as he turned to look back at her.

“Alright, you’re crazy, but if anyone can do it, it’s you,” Kerri softly kissed his lips and waited a moment to watch his confused reaction, “Just come back in one piece.”

“Count on it.” Mikey replied through a reddened face as he grew metallic looking wings and shot off up the path.

“Don’t worry Mikey, we’ll hold here. You go get Kimberly and give that Phantom what’s what.” John called after him.

Mikey gritted his teeth as the thin atmosphere of the Null Moon blew past his face. He began to feel a faint prickling sensation in the back of his before he heard a scream echo in his mind, “Michael… help me!”
Yay biggrin Now do moar~

(I'm saving my usual lengthy rambling for an 8-page paper due on the 4th)

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I swear I'm writing and not uhh disappearing or anything... but here's a teaser of something in the next chapter.
The Phantom only laughed at this remark as he stood up again. He was hunched over as he continued laughing, “Oh heavens no, dear boy. You and I will never be over. Yours and mine is a history written in blood. But for now it’s only an intermission. I yield my castle to you, assuming you can survive my Storm Guard.” The Phantom darted back and forth as he walked out the castle gate followed by the golems assembled there. The doorway into the castle’s central tower opened wide as single figure walked through. Their armor was jet black with toxic green accents. Their helmet encased their entire head as toxic green lights flickered under the visor. The weapon clutched in this Storm Guard’s right hand was one Mikey had only read about, but its name already crossed his lips and sent a shiver up his spine as he stared, it was a supersized kanabo.

“Great a cyber version of medieval armor, a biker helmet with fins on the sides, and a Japanese demon club. This should be fun.” He tilted his head back and forth till he heard a crack from his neck before readying his stance to this new foe. He stared and waited as his new foe raised their massive club with only a single swing of their right arm. Mikey looked down at the broken pair of goggles hanging around his neck as he felt a breeze blow through the courtyard.

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Had a big burst of inspiration (or boredom hard to tell) this month and had a few sleepless nights due to other reasons. But uhh, yeah hope everyone enjoys, oh warnings for this chapter if you're afraid of insects it might be best to read it during the day.

Chapter 27: Rising Tide

“Sir, the Second Regiment just vanished,” A small grey golem nervously reported to The Phantom. After his last round with Kimberly he had sulked in his throne room watching the half functional monitors.

“All of it? There were over fifty golems in that regiment.” He tried to hide the notes of fear in his voice as he asked.

“Our scouts report there was a bright flash and a loud boom, and then no more Second Regiment.” The golem replied as he shrunk back to avoid any of his master’s wrath.

“Send reserve troops, we can’t afford to have that hole in the lines.” He didn’t even twitch as he continued to watch the monitors that were working.

“But sir that would leave the castle open to attack! And the perimeter defenses have detected a small object approaching at high speed.”

“Just do as I command or you’ll be on the frontline.” The Phantom growled, he turned to look at the reestablished feed from the castle’s defense systems. “So he comes at last.”

Mikey gritted his teeth as the thin atmosphere of the Null Moon rushed past his face, the crystalline castle before him loomed larger by the second. To his surprise the front gate was swung open allowing him access into the courtyard surrounding the central tower. “This just screams trap.” He muttered to himself. He slowed to a stop as he rushed past the gate, he looked around as he hovered in the air before dispelling his wings and landing on the ground with a small thud. There wasn’t a single golem or enemy in sight, there wasn’t even a speck of dust hanging in the air. He heard a click behind him and then the grating sound of stone against stone as the gate behind him began to close. There was another clicking sound as the gate closed.

“So are you going to keep me waiting, or are we going to settle this Phantom?” He stood in the courtyard looking around as he heard the shuffling of feet on the walls around him. There were shouts as he saw golems filling the walls.

A small door on the tower in front of him opened and The Phantom stepped through as he spoke, “Nobody has ever been able to break free of my illusions, much less free their friends. What gave away that it wasn’t real?”

Mikey drew his sword and took a readied stance, “There’s a first time for everything. But if you must know, everything was too perfect. You need imperfections to create a perfect illusion.”

“I will try to remember that for next time.” The Phantom drew a fine delicate blade from his cane. He smirked in Mikey’s direction as he held the blade at his side. “You’ve proven yourself a worthy adversary Michael, but all feuds come to an end eventually. And now you will meet yours.” He raised the blade over his head with a flick of his wrist as he took a few steps towards Mikey.

“Fifty-three, fifty-four, fifty-five, boy they just keep coming.” Henry was smashing down golems as they came through one of the coliseum’s arches. Him, Penelope, John, Jeremy, and Kerri had each taken an entryway and were fighting fiercely to keep any golems from getting past them.

“We have to hold this line until McCoy and the other Anari can arrive here with reinforcements.” Kerri’s orb of shadow energy pulled in three golems approaching her before it faded into the ground.

“We already lost the wolves and dolls they sent. Not to mention that they’re pushing the golems toward us.” Penelope’s flames ripped through an approaching line. John’s plan of blockading the main entrance to force them into the small entries along the perimeter was causing the golems to come through one or two at a time.

Jeremy hurled a tornado and mowed down the golems approaching from his entrance, “You’d think with this many, the Anari could air-drop us some help.” He gritted his teeth as he felt one of the golems hit him with a stunner shot. While not particularly harmful, they were starting to annoy him with how they slowed his stamina regeneration.

“Cut the chatter. If we don’t hold them here, Mike’s infiltration will go south.” John created a fist of solid earth to punch the two golems approaching his door.

“If it hasn’t gone south already.” Jeremy hacked down a golem that avoided his tornado attack.

“A closer examination tells me these are very different from the golems we’ve fought before.” Henry bumped a golem into another and watched as the two of them fell over, “Sixty!”

The hoard of golems climbing the hill to the coliseum was not depleting even as energy beams, blades and other attacks clawed into their ranks. Small gaps would form as a few would fall over or melt from the attacks they were met with, but the gaps would close almost immediately as new golems pressed their way to the front of the hoard, “John, if they keep coming like this we’re going to have to fall back to the entryway from the path to the castle and hope bottling them up there works. Our stamina is having a rough time keeping up with their number and those godforsaken stunners they have.” Kerri ducked out of the doorway she was guarding because something a lot harder than a stunner hit her shoulder. She winced as she looked at the gouge that the solid projectile had left in her shoulder. It stung quite a bit as it began to heal, and her arm hung at her side as she turned back and began shooting through the doorway again.

“Are you sure about this Ryan?”

“Yeah, whatever disturbances they’ve created, combined with the chaos caused by that power surge allowed us to locate The Phantom’s server’s real world location.” Ryan and Bret looked at one another as a dot was flashing on the map he had on his screen.

“That’s right here in town, we could be there in thirty minutes depending on traffic. We could finally shut him down and then John and them wouldn’t even need to stop him in there.”

“I wish it were that simple. But this is someone who absorbed Qix’s mind, not to mention all his experience being a gatekeeper program. If what Michael told his father is accurate we’re dealing with someone who knows zOMG’s code as well as we do. He could have left several booby traps if we simply unplug it. But yeah, if it gets to crunch time and we haven’t heard anything, we’ll pull his server.” Ryan was worried, it was like The Phantom wanted to be found, and that didn’t sit well with him.

“You already called our friends at SJPD?” Bret asked.

“They’re putting a group together now, we’re supposed to meet them there in an hour.”

The blades sparked as they clanged together. Neither warrior was ready to surrender as their eyes locked and glared into the other. The Phantom’s usually pristine and prim face had become disheveled as matted hair began to stick to it from his sweat. Small cuts and nicks had begun to dot its surface as more than a few times Mikey had managed to graze his face. The human standing before him fought with an unnatural precision and uncannily avoided some of his more powerful swings. The few scratches he managed to make on his foes’ face and legs had already begun to heal and close. Where was all this energy that he fought with coming from? The Phantom had to hop to his left as Mikey lunged towards him with an outstretched blade. Even as he turned to counterattack Mikey was already pivoting to swing at him. Had this human wielded a blade at all before accepting the invite try and stop The Phantom, or was this technique entirely spur the moment? The Phantom felt a jolt of fear as he barely managed to raise his blade to block Mikey’s swing. Was this the power of humans that KJ tried to warn him about? The Phantom twitched his slender katana-like blade towards Mikey only for him to catch it with the crystalline red gauntlet that had grown over his right arm. The crystals glowed a blood red as the blade bounced off harmlessly.

“I’m always three steps ahead.” Mikey finally gloated as he jabbed at The Phantom’s feet. The Phantom had barely a split second to react and jump back, only to be greeted by a right hook from that crystal gauntlet. The muscles in his face shuddered as the energy within that gauntlet lightly burned them. The Phantom marveled in his mind about how never before had any being digital or real been able to match him in a fight like this, the style, the technique, the vigor, the look of determination in his foes’ face, no-one before this human had been able to push him this far. It was strangely exhilarating to him to at last be able to fight all out. Each step of his foe in his approaches and follow up was as delicate as a dancer’s, each swing was precise and aimed like a machine, and hit with the power of a baseball player at a home run derby. The Phantom marveled at this seemingly blended of the raw strength of a machine, with the skill of a master, all guided by the man’s determination to defeat him.

“I must admit, you are the first opponent to push me into this kind of situation.” Their blades glittered and sparked as they ground against one another. The Phantom flung himself backwards and could see cracks forming in his sword. The constant blocking with it was taking its toll.

Mikey’s crystalline gauntlet began to glow crimson as he ran it along his sword’s blade. The blade began glow a radiant gold. “My spirit and my light, when these come together and burn this brightly, there’s nothing that can stop me.” Mikey seemed to glide across the ground between them as he struck. He slid a few feet behind The Phantom before lowering his blade. His panting breath showed just how fatigued he was. As The Phantom looked down he could see a wide gash across his abdomen, he turned his head to his blade only to see the cracks glowing with the same golden light the Mikey’s sword had glowed with. The cracks crisscrossed the entire blade now and as they widened his blade broke apart. The Phantom fell to his knees as Mikey let out a sigh. The Phantom struggled to hold his sides together as Mikey turned around to face him again, “It’s over.”

The Phantom only laughed at this remark as he stood up again. He was hunched over as he continued laughing, “Oh heavens no, dear boy. You and I will never be over. Yours and mine is a history written in blood. But for now it’s only an intermission. I yield my castle to you, assuming you can survive my Storm Guard.” The Phantom darted back and forth as he walked out the castle gate followed by the golems assembled there. The doorway into the castle’s central tower opened wide as single figure walked through. Their armor was jet black with toxic green accents. Their helmet encased their entire head as toxic green lights flickered under the visor. The weapon clutched in this Storm Guard’s right hand was one Mikey had only read about, but its name already crossed his lips and sent a shiver up his spine as he stared, it was a supersized kanabo.

“Great a cyber-version of medieval armor, a biker helmet with fins on the sides, and a Japanese demon club. This should be fun.” He tilted his head back and forth till he heard a crack from his neck before readying his stance to this new foe. He stared and waited as his new foe raised their massive club with only a single swing of their right arm. Mikey looked down at the broken pair of goggles hanging around his neck as he felt a breeze blow through the courtyard.

Henry let out a sigh as the golem in front of him was felled by his hack. The five defenders had been pushed to very entrance of the castle pathway. As he looked down the row of fighters he could see everyone else was exhausted and on the verge of collapsing. The wall of golems approaching numbered at least fifty. “I think this is the end of the line for us. I got nothing left, no Ghi to burst, no stamina to fight.” He looked up and down the row once more hoping for some kind of miracle, John struggled to motion his arms to raise a wall of earth between them and the approaching mass. Even as the dirt sprang out of the ground it began to crumble, John didn’t have enough energy to sustain the wall much less build it up. He looked at Henry, the look on his face said enough, we go down fighting.

There was a buzzing sound in the skies overhead and a loud crash as something solid landed in front of the huddled group. “It’s really about time we joined this fight.” It was Sisko and the other Anari. The gravelly voice was music to Henry’s ears. The metal wall the Anari of metal had erected broke apart into sharpened cubes.

“Allow me.” Hoshi raised her staff and twirled it around her hand a few times before a bolt of lightning shot from it to the metal cubes. The cubes sparked with energy as they flew into the approaching golems. The energy crackling around the cubes shorted out the golems they struck, felling the frontline. As Henry stared in distance he could see vines shooting out of the ground behind the golems and ensnaring their feet.

Miles crashed into a golem with a punch from one of the sawblades on his arm. He gave a small smile as he turned to face Henry and the others. “Heyho humans, the main force is already marching up the hill. We’ll manage here, go to your sixth.” The saw blade on his left arm began spinning before he punched another golem.

“So we’re just going to make an entrance and send them on their way?” Several large stones rained down from the sky as Archer gently landed. He looked around and saw all the broken golems that the group had managed to defeat before the arrival of the Anari, “On second thought sending you on your way may just be the break you need right now. Get moving. Don’t worry McCoy’s with the main army.” Archer crafted a stone wall in the entryway once Henry and the others had started up the path.

Mikey wheezed as the massive kanabo connected with his stomach, the impact alone knocked the air from his lungs but the iron barbs on the solid club had left small punctures across his gut. Even as he tried to swing his blade he felt it bounce off of the Storm Guard’s armored forearm. Whatever this creature was, it was able to keep pace with him far better than any foe he had faced. His blade being deflected caused Mikey to hop slightly as he was caught off balance, but his foe capitalized on the moment and delivered a solid backhand to his face. Mikey was thrown back several yards from the force of the swing and the spikes on the gauntlets caused him to bleed. Mikey leaned against his blade as he struggled to stand again. The Storm Guard only stood soundless watching him, the colors he could see glowing from beneath the visor it wore shifted and blinked as it stared.

“Okay time to try something crazy.” Mikey’s amulet shimmered as he began to circle the Storm Guard, as he sped up his pace duplicates of himself appeared. “Let’s see you hit this.” The Storm Guard stood motionless shifting its gaze from one duplicate to the next before swinging its kanabo. Mikey came to a sudden stop as the swing connected with his chest. The Storm Guard shifted its stance and grabbed Mikey around his neck with its free hand. Mikey dropped his blade as he reached his hands to try freeing himself from the armored menace’s grip. As it raised him to its eye level the Storm Guard only tilted its head as if curious about the struggling being it held. Mikey could feel his lungs burning for air. His vision was beginning to go dark as he pointed one of his hands at helmet he could see in his hazy vision. “Dazzling Gleam!” The shower of multi-colored sparkles caused his adversary to drop him.

Mikey quickly grabbed his blade and jumped back as the Storm Guard looked like it was struggling to see straight. “Boomerang Blade!” He threw his blade at the Storm Guard and the stumbling foe unable to block it was struck in the middle of its visor. The blade spun in the air as it flew back to Mikey. He reached out with his gauntlet bearing arm and caught the blade in a backhanded grip, but to his dismay the Storm Guard stood ready, his attack had only left a small crack upon the visor. He heard something that sounded like laughter before it swung the kanabo at the ground. Mikey charged at his foe as he swung his blade, he felt the blade make contact with the club his foe carried, he smirked as he raised his arm and delivered a punch into the crack on the visor. What was a small hairline crack was now a web all across the entire visor. Mikey jumped back shifted the blade from his gauntleted arm to his left hand as he began another approach. The Storm Guard let out what sounded like an angry roar before it threw its kanabo at the approaching Mikey. His vision flashed forward a few seconds showing him the exact path the spinning club would take. He fell back and began slide feet first towards the Storm Guard, his right arm reached up and his hand closed as he felt the handle of the kanabo press against his palm.

“I got your weapon.” He stammered as slid past the Storm Guard, his blade in one hand the kanabo in the other. “You can have it back!” He yelled as he put everything into throwing the club that he was barely strong enough to carry. He watched as the club lazily spun in the air and struck the Storm Guard’s helmet. His foe stammered back as its helmet completely shattered. Mikey couldn’t believe what he saw as the Storm Guard turned back to face him. “No… not like this.”

“Sir, why exactly did we surrender the castle so easily?” The small golem that had been coordinating The Phantom’s army struggled to keep up with his master as they approached a large crystal growth.

“Heh, I need the humans to open a door and retrieve something for me. You see, it’s a door only they can open. We’ll retake the castle in the coming battle, everything we need is in this crystal forest.” He smiled as he motioned to his subordinate. The golem could only stare in awe as he saw The Phantom’s generals, all revived and ready for combat. And they were organizing thousands of golems into battle units.

Mikey could only stare in horror as the face that stared him down was Kimberly’s. Her hazel eyes were now a sickly green, and her left cheek had some kind of green webbing beneath the skin. She stared at him like she’d never seen him before. “Kimberly.” He could barely grip his blade as he was caught off guard by what he saw.

“What’s the matter Michael? Don’t like the new me?” A sick and twisted smile crossed her face as she gripped her kanabo. She yelled as she charged at Mikey. He didn’t even attempt to avoid her swing as she attacked him. He simply raised his arm in an attempt to shield himself from the swings, each one pushed him back as grunted from each blow.

“I can’t… You’re my friend. I cannot raise my blade against a friend.” He coughed as her last swing flung him backwards. He planted his blade in the ground as he used it push himself up. “Like hell that’s you.”

An angered glare crossed Kimberly’s face as she approached Mikey. Her eyes narrowed as she smashed her kanabo into Mikey’s side. “Just die already!” She spun on her heel and delivered a kick into his chest. He coughed as the impact shot him into one of the castle walls. Before he had time to react Kimberly was already upon him with a hand firmly grasping his neck. She pulled him out of the wall and slammed him back into it several times before tossing him towards the castle’s main gate.

“Why are you taking it easy on me?’ Mikey struggled as he rose to his feet again. He turned his head to side as spat a clot of blood from his mouth. He weakly smiled as he stared back at Kimberly. “If you really wanted me dead, you wouldn’t be holding back.” He could hear hurried footsteps coming up the pathway to the castle.

“Insolent, ignorant, stubborn boy!” She struck at Mikey as a glittering blue shield formed in front him. The force of her strike shattered the glowing dome in a single strike. Mikey jumped back as the spiked club dug into the ground at his feet, but before he had time to react to her rapid movements she had landed a punch to smash him into the ground. “Don’t bother getting up.” She stomped her armored boots against Mikey’s chest seven times before punting him into the other castle wall.

Mikey struggled to pull himself free from the stone of the wall. Everything ached, and he was bleeding through his shirt. He groaned as he hobbled to his feet staring Kimberly down. “I’m just going to keep getting up until you kill me or until you come to your senses.” He gritted his teeth in pain as his wounds began healing. Mikey could see Kerri’s head bobbing over the last crest before the castle gate. “Stay back! Kimberly’s not exactly herself right now.” He yelled in the direction.

“I’m more myself than ever before! I was made to destroy you!” She angrily yelled as she slowly walked towards Mikey.

“Weren’t you the one that told me,” He staggered as a jolt of pain went through his knee, “You’re the one who told me we can become more than we were meant to be, that we could evolve beyond our original purposes.” His lip was still throbbing in pain, as was the welt forming on his eye. Kerri and the others had come far enough up the pathway that they could see the scene unfolding just within the castle walls.

Kimberly gingerly picked up the blade Mikey had dropped, “I’m going to shut you up with your own blade.” She ran towards Mikey with the blade clutched in her hands, Mikey only stared at her and smiled. There was a thud and scraping sound before a spray of blood shot out of where she had impaled him. He struggled to breathe as he slumped over, the blade stuck into the right side of his chest just below where his heart would be. Even as he struggled and collapsed he was still smiling at her with his goofy smile.

“Finally, got that out of your system?” He gasped before slinking down onto the ground. His blood had begun to pool around where he lay.

A jolt of pain coursed through Kimberly’s head as she only stared, “Oh gods, what have I done?” Her eyes narrowed and returned to their usual hazel-green color as she looked at herself. “This thing made me a monster.” She tried pulling the breastplate from the suit of armor she wore but more pain began shooting in her head as the green spider web in her cheek pulsed. “Get this thing off of me!” She screamed in pain as she tried pulling the armored suit off of herself. Each tug caused the webbing in her cheek to pulse sending waves of pain through her head.

“Now that’s something I can help with.” Mikey was standing behind her with his blade in hand. “Giga Blade Slice!” He swung the blade in a pattern as glowing blade shaped energy projections shot out. The hatching they left across the cyber-armor Kimberly was wearing caused it to open in several places.

“Get it off!” She was tearing at the places that had been cut open stripping the armor plates and the compression suit underneath them off as her head screamed in pain. She gasped for air as she pulled the breastplate off revealing a spider shaped robot clinging to her chest. Its large body had some kind of fluid which glowed the same toxic green as the armor plates’ trim. She struggled to breathe as its legs appeared to dig deeper into her chest. “Get the hell off!” She yelled as she clawed at the mechanoid.

“This is going to hurt.” Thrust out his gauntlet adorned hand and wrapped his fingers around the spider robot. It began to electrocute him as he pulled on it. Kimberly wedged her hands under where his grip had loosened the machine and began to push as he pulled. The green webbing on her face was burning as it began to pulse uncontrollably. “One!” On of the spider’s legs had been ripped from Kimberly’s chest.

“Two!”

“Three!”

“Four!” The fourth leg was torn out, both of them yelled as they broke off the remaining legs with one motion. Kimberly gasped and struggled to catch her breath as Mikey clutched the spider robot in his hand. He looked at it and grimaced as he smashed it against the ground. Kimberly slumped against the castle wall from the exertion, the green web beneath her cheek had already begun to fade.

“How are you? I thought that I…” She stared up at Mikey as he averted his eyes from staring at her. He shuffled a moment before handing her the cloak he was wearing.

“Oh that.” He shrugged and touched where she had impaled him, “I had one last trick up my sleeve. I couldn’t beat you in an outright fight, but if I could last long enough for you to come back, well. When I saw you coming with my own blade I decided to bust out the effects of one really wonky ring that I never thought I’d use.”

Kimberly wrapped herself in his cloak before she looked up at him, “And what ring was that?”

“They called it Anabolooster. It gives an insane boost to health and stamina regeneration, willpower, speed, and the damage you do. The one drawback, well it gives you those boosts by almost entirely removing your armor stats. Figured one good hit to play possum would be enough.” He smiled as he stretched out his arm to help her up.

She clutched his cloak around her in one hand before reaching for his arm to pull herself up with the other, “So you gambled.” She smirked, and he only replied with the same grin he always had when a crazy plan worked.

“If you’d aimed slightly higher, we wouldn’t be having this talk, if that says anything about how hard you hit me.” He touched where she hit him then moved his hand to where the strike would have been lethal, only three inches separated the two locations.

“Hey did you two forget about us?” Kerri called as herself, Jeremy, John, Henry, and Penelope entered the castle courtyard. “But seriously Michael, you’ve got to stop dying on us. We might not believe you the next time you die.”

Jeremy stared at the smashed pieces of the spider bot before picking up its body to examine it. “Hey, I’ve seen this design before. It was in a zombie game, it worked by injecting a toxin that caused heightened physical abilities at the cost of causing mental deterioration.”

Henry looked at the broken bot that Jeremy was holding, “Looks like the legs were long enough to embed in her nervous system to cause feedback if she did something she wasn’t supposed to.” Everyone stared at him as if surprised, “What? I’m not allowed to have a brain?”

“When you combine that with the torture she probably received beforehand, it probably also kept her regular personality suppressed until a large enough shock hit it.” Penelope said matter-of-factly.

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Part 2 of Chapter 27:

“I missed you guys.” Kimberly grabbed Henry and Mikey around the shoulders before reaching with her hands to pull Kerri and Penelope in. John and Jeremy both sighed as they reached into the group hug. “I don’t know how long it’s been out here for you, but for me it felt like months.”

“Believe me, The Phantom’s illusions made us all experience months in a matter of hours.” John smiled as he pulled away from the group hug.

“Oh right, before he ran. The Phantom surrendered the castle to Michael.” Her arms were sore and stiff from swinging a huge club that he she had to finally release Mikey and Henry.

“Please you guys, Michael is my dad. If you have to call me something I prefer Mikey or Mike. If you absolutely have to use something else use my initials MJ.” Mikey stared flustered.

“I hate to break up a joyful reunion but the cavalry has…” McCoy landed and looked around confused, “Well I guess you all, already took the castle. Guess it’s safe to bring in the troops to fortify it.” He tapped his staff against the ground and it fired a crimson bolt of light straight up into the sky over the castle.

“What the heck?” Kerri stared as all six amulets they wore began to glow and pulse. “What’s going on? Why are they glowing like this?” She held hers up as Mikey looked deep in thought.

“Didn’t anyone notice that whenever we went into an area where an amulet was in close proximity the other amulets began to hum and faintly glow as if resonating with one another? I imagine that’s happening here, only they’re resonating with something that’s not exactly an amulet.” He stared at his light amulet and began turning in different directions until he found a direction that caused it to glow more brightly. He held it out as he began to towards the doorway into the castle’s central tower. Mikey was taken aback as he gazed at the intricate crystalline structures that made up the architecture. Everything looked as if it was carved out from a singular crystal by the most skilled and precise of craftsman.

“Did Michelangelo carve this out in between David and the Sistine Chapel?” Henry and the others were slowly following Mikey as they stared at the inside of their long standing nemesis’ castle home.

“Hey Mikey, look over there. It’s a transmitter that can send messages to the real world.” Jeremy pointed out an electronic device that was sparking and humming in a chamber they passed. Jeremy took a closer look at it as he stopped at the door, “It’s not too far gone. I could probably repair it with some parts from the androids in the Aekean forces that are coming.” He looked at Mikey for a response.

“Okay, Jeremy you and Penelope get started on those repairs. I want a status report within the hour.” He hadn’t looked away from the glowing of his amulet as he gave the command. Whatever was causing it to glow was in the floors beneath them. He carefully stepped around several pieces of debris and collapsed crystals as he found a spiraling staircase that went deeper down into the crystal palace.

“Hey Mikey, it looks like we passed an observation chamber with a bunch of monitors. Henry and I were thinking, if we could scope out any information left there we may get a better idea of The Phantom’s plan.” Mikey motioned with his hand that they had the okay to examine the room they mentioned.

Henry and John turned around and went back down the hallway as they turned to check on Mikey one last time his head was disappearing down one of the turns in the staircase. The monitors in the room they found were still running real time videos from where The Phantom had stationed golems. They could see the arena they had fought so hard to hold as troops from their united army began the march up to the castle. There was even a monitor displaying the castle courtyard where they could see the Anari placing some of the first arriving troops into defensive positions. “John, look at this.” Henry pointed at the table in room, it was dimly illuminated by the built in lights. They flickered from lack of adequate power but when the table was lit they saw a landscape that was a topology map of the Null Moon with indications of troop locations and numbers. There were even rough lines indicating movements and small figures indicating the types of units. There were several figures in a red color that were shaped to look like some of the troops in the army that had assembled in Aekea.

“What do you think Oort Cloud means?” John pointed to a large round depression on the surface that was simply labelled Oort Cloud. There was a number next to it, but nothing else indicated any importance to the location.

“It’s a straight albeit long path from there to castle’s planet facing wall. Maybe it was a rally point in case something happened. We did notice a few of the golems were running away from combat. But what does the number 20,123 mean?” Henry stared at the wall that the monitors leaned against. He saw the points on the wall where they once hung, and there was a single word painted on the wall in all capital letters with what he only imagined was blood, Trioxic.

“Well 20,123 is a prime number, maybe The Phantom enjoys math.” When Henry did not respond John turned away from the table to see what he was looking at. He had a hard time trying to figure out what disturbed him more, the word on the wall or how it was written. “Oh no.” He simply said.

“John, what’s Trioxic mean, and why do you look like you’ve seen a ghost at its mere mention.” Henry was trying to hold back the notes of fear from his voice.

“A relic from the concept stage. They were originally going to be the villains for chapter two, but we scrapped them in favor of Labtech X’s return.” He still looked scared from the mention of them.

“There’s something you aren’t telling me. Why were they scrapped?” Henry asked, he was starting to feel uneasy.

“We got to the testing stage with their programming. And they exhibited characteristics that outright scared us. We tried to rebalance them, but they adapted to the rebalance to become a terror again. They were unnaturally intelligent for computer programs, on par you or me when it comes to their ability to plan and grow. We scrapped them because we couldn’t control them.” He saw the writing on the wall was still somewhat fresh, it was made just before The Phantom left.

“He left this castle in a hurry. Just how dangerous would a Trioxic be if we encountered one now?”

“I don’t think even The Phantom would be foolish enough to create or spawn one here.” John looked worried.

“John, answer the question.”

“Well it’s an armor plated bug with cruel intelligence, it has an innate resistance to Ghi based attacks, meaning it has a very high tolerance to rings and their energies. A single one could be more than a match for an entire dev meat group, but he’d be crazy to spawn one because it’d be just as dangerous to him.” John kept yammering. But Henry was already checking the rest of the room and poked his head out into the hallway.

“We’re grabbing Jeremy and Penelope, then we’re regrouping with Mikey, Kerri and Kimberly, if there’s one of those loose in here it’d be better our chances if we were together.” Henry was already leading John down the hallway back to where they’d left Jeremy and Penelope.

“This damage… It wasn’t caused by hitting the machine or unplugging things.” Jeremy was on his back as he got a look at the underside of the transmitter. He ran his hand along one of the tears in the smooth metallic surface. It was twisted and torn like something had been tearing at the machine.

Penelope was looking at the walls and the scattered pages across the floor. “Scorch marks?” She put her hand to a darkened patch on the wall, it was much warmer than the rest of the wall. “And fairly recent.” She noticed there were droplets of a congealed purple liquid on some of the papers and parts of the floor.

“If I didn’t know any better I’d say something was hiding under this and something with claws was trying to get at it by punching through the transmitter.” Jeremy shuddered as a few droplets of black liquid dripped out of the transmitter onto his face. It took him a few minutes to realize that he’d seen the fluid before, several times when they’d caused damage to a golem but not completely destroyed it. “Golem operating fluid? But what’s it doing dripping…” His eyes widened as he saw through the hole in the transmitter a golem was stuck on the ceiling. He panicked as he tried to jump out from under the transmitter he bumped his head.

“Jeremy? What is… oh god!” She saw the dripping from something on the ceiling and gasped as she looked up. The golem’s arm had been ripped off and part of its chest was torn open but it was affixed to the ceiling by purple goo covering its back and pieces of its legs and torso. “What could do this to a golem?” She was shaking as she helped Jeremy to stand up.

“I managed to decode a single word from the last transmission that was sent from here. It’s more damaged than I originally thought, we’d be lucky to get five minutes of transmission from it if I did repair it.” He was trying not to look at the golem on the ceiling. He was trying to stay focused and not let his fears get to him.

“Was that single word, Trioxic?” Henry and John both entered the room. They both looked as startled as Jeremy and Penelope were.

“How did you know?” Jeremy stared afraid of the answer.

“It was written in blood on the wall in a room we were checking out. After John told me what a Trioxic was I decided to high tail it back here to get you two.” He looked where Penelope was still staring with a look of fear.

John noticed both Henry and Penelope staring and he looked at the ceiling and saw the flayed body of a golem, “That’s the handiwork of a Hunter Class Trioxic… If one of those is in here we need to leave and wait for a lot of back up.”

“We can’t leave the others to face it alone if it is. We get them, then we leave.” Penelope’s eyes hadn’t moved from the lifeless body on the ceiling.

The hallway after the staircase was long and dark, unusually dark. The very crystal it was carved into felt as if it was absorbing every bit of light that passed through the hallway. Mikey, Kerri and Kimberly had spent the last five minutes in silence examining every door they came across. Most of them were either sealed closed or off their hinges and broken in their archways. None of them had spoken a word since they descended the stairs and the silence was starting to become eerie. Kimberly looked lost in her world, while Kerri looked uncomfortable to be around her. Mikey was trying to determine how best to break the tension when they found a broken door that lead into a laboratory, sitting on the lab bench were Kimberly’s clothes. Mikey and Kerri looked around at the various test tanks filled with glowing liquids while Kimberly slipped out of the robe she was borrowing to redress.

“Alright, I think this silence has gone on a while. So what’s one your minds?” Mikey finally asked.

Kimberly shrugged and sighed as she pulled her top down, “I lost it. I lost control.” Her voice sounded like something was welling up in her throat, “I couldn’t stop myself, and I went on a rampage. I could feel what I was doing was hurting you, and I couldn’t stop myself.”

“Kimberly,” Mikey couldn’t think of anything to say as he heard her cry a little.

“I was killing you, and I couldn’t stop myself. And now,” She paused as she sniffled, “And now, we’re going to have a huge fight with The Phantom, and I don’t know whether I can fight by your side or if I’ll lose control again. I don’t know if he still has some kind of hold over me.” Mikey turned his head to check on Kimberly, she only stared back at him with puffy red eyes from crying.

“But you were able to stop yourself.” He replied as she stared.

“I just felt so angry. All I wanted was to kill you. It was only after I thought I had killed you that I, that I was able to stop myself.” She turned away from Mikey and was shaking as she spoke.

“Kimberly, The Phantom was messing with your head. You held out as long as you could, but even the best of us have a breaking point.” Kerri put her arms around Kimberly’s shoulders.

“What if I’m just a defective program?” Kimberly was shaking in Kerri’s arms.

“Depends on your definition of defective.” He tapped on one of the blue tanks. “If your definition is purely that you were designed to destroy us, then yes, you’re defective. But if you define yourself as a program that was meant to learn and adapt and grow, then defective is the furthest thing from an accurate description.” He paused as he sensed something moving nearby.

“You heard it too. Sounds like a bug… or something that crawls like one. It’s hard to mistake that it’s something making a clicking sound.” Kerri watched as Mikey went to the doorway to scope out the hallway. He immediately jumped back as a pincer slammed into the frame next to his head. The obsidian black claw shook a few seconds as its owner tried to pry itself loose from where it was stuck. The massive insectoid creature had to crouch as it tried coming through the doorway. Kerri’s eyes widened as she recognized the design, “It’s a Trioxic!” She could hear its clicking mandibles through the jet black helmet it bore. Mikey tried to hit it with a beam of light only for the attack to fizzle out and fade before it even touched the armor.

“What the,” He stared in shock as the monster appeared to be laughing.

“Run! Its armor can negate Ghi based attacks.” Kerri yelled.

“Where are we supposed to run exactly? He’s got us boxed in here.” Mikey backed away from the bug in the door as he looked around the room. “There’s not a whole lot to work with in here.” Mikey barely had time to duck as the claw swung over his head. He saw the claw smash into one of the tanks full of blue liquid, and wherever the liquid touched froze into a glassy blue.

“Stasis fluid. Don’t touch it, it’s designed to keep a creature in a suspended animation.” Mikey saw as Kimberly shouted that the Trioxic’s claw had turned an icy blue where the liquid had touched.

“And the green one?” Mikey leaped back to avoid the pincer that had impaled the ground at his feet as he shouted his question. He could hear a furious clicking sound coming from under the creature’s helmet. He tried to avoid another attack but the creature managed to grab him in its claws, it pulled him closer as it closed its other claw around him. The sharp claws were pressing against the thin armor he wore. He struggled as he tried to free himself from the claws. He could feel the creature’s claws draining his stamina and Ghi as they kept digging into his body. He focused his remaining energy into forming an enlarged fist as he struck the frozen section of the Trioxic’s claw, and gasped as he felt it release him from its grip. He staggered backward as he saw the bug backing up to the door howling in pain.

Mikey’s ears were still ringing as he saw Kimberly trying to say something. He shook his head several times trying to get rid of his disorientation. “-acid capable of dissolving just about everything.” He finally heard.

“Aw hell it’s blocking the doorway.” He could hear Henry and the others coming down the hallway. Mikey thought that they must have come when he, Kerri, and Kimberly didn’t check in, but as he continued thinking he realized it was still at least ten minutes ahead of the check in time they had set.

“Henry, don’t let it touch you. It can drain stamina and Ghi.” Mikey hoped that he could be heard over the beast’s shrieks as it tried to hit him again. He turned to Kimberly and Kerri who were in the room’s back corner. The shape of the room made it hard for even Mikey to engage the Trioxic in combat. “If it’s immune to Ghi based attacks I’m going to need something to break its shell. Acid now!”

“But if you touch it-“ Kerri began.

“Already weighed the outcomes. Acid now!” Mikey shouted as he avoided another attack from the Trioxic. Each time it attacked it was slightly faster, as if it was adapting to the speed Mikey could move at. “I don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to outpace its attacks, so hurry up!” He had to deflect the Trioxic’s next strike with his blade. Through the ringing in his ears he could make out the sounds of Kerri and Kimberly trying to knock over one of the green tanks. And he could see John, Jeremy and Henry trying to attack the Trioxic’s bulbous abdomen only for their attacks to fade out before making contact. Even Penelope’s flame attacks dissipated before touching the creature. But each time Mikey’s blade struck the partially frozen break in its claw, it bled. Even shooting the damaged claw seemed to yield results. “I get it, break you out of that tough shell and you’re just as vulnerable as we are, alright.” He heard the tank crash into the ground and jumped as it rolled past him. He swung his blade and launched a burst of energy that struck the vat as it rolled under the Trioxic’s first set of legs. The green liquid glowed as it splashed out and drenched parts of the Trioxic’s armor. It hissed and smoked as fragments of the armor peeled and melted off. The Trioxic screeched and clicked furiously at the pain of the burns set in.

On the Trioxic’s chest there was a crystal embedded beneath the armor. It pulsed as the creature cried in pain, “Now! Its armor has come off!” Mikey took a few steps back as he tried brushing off some of the acid that had splashed on him. For once he was thankful that he hadn’t built his avatar to be naked.

“No good, it’s regenerating faster than we can wear it down. We need to get it out into the open.” Even though it only had a helmet now the hulking insect shrugged off their attacks. “Unless…” Mikey struck at the crystal that was glowing on its chest, to his surprise he saw the Trioxic flash indicating a large drop in its health.

“You never got around to coding damage animations for it?” Jeremy asked turning to John. Who only nodded, even as he indicated that it was already regenerating from the damage inflicted upon it.

“It’s got to have a second weak spot somewhere.” Penelope yelled as she threw a fireball at the Trioxic’s head. As the flames dissipated, something under the eyepieces was glowing. Mikey struck at one of the eyepieces with his blade and could feel the glassy material cracking from the impact. He felt one of the creature’s barbed fists, exposed by the destruction of the armored claws, slam into his gut and knock him back. The glass covering the creature’s eye broke apart to reveal a glassy back orb, as cracks crawled across the black surface of its helmet. Mikey staggered to his feet as the bug reared up and ran out of the doorway. Jeremy and Penelope barely had time to jump out of its way as it rushed through the hallway and up the staircase.

“If it gets out of the castle-“ Henry began.

“I know, follow it!” The Trioxic left a trail of its purple blood as it ran from the group. It was fast, their lungs burned as they tried keeping up with it across the castle hallways. It slammed into the doorway to enter the courtyard and winced as the doors held firm.

“It was designed to seek out the largest group of players around it once its armor was broken. That must mean-“ John began.

“That everyone’s assembled outside.” Penelope threw another fireball at the cracking helmet.

“Look there!” Kerri pointed to a glowing crystal on the monster’s forehead. It disgusting face was revealed from the helmet breaking. Its eyes hung low beneath its chin attached by fleshy stalks. Its pointed teeth clicked against each other in its mouth as the jaws opened and closed sideways.

“Henry!” Mikey yelled as he lunged at the Trioxic.

“Got it.” Henry lunged towards the crystal in the head while Mikey struck the one in the chest. Mikey’s blade connected and inflicted massive damage, while Henry hacked at the head crystal. It flashed again before collapsing on the ground. Finally, it was dead.

“Tch, Ahhh! What the hell!” Mikey felt pain as the massive bug began to dissolve. A rush of pain caused him to collapse on the ground.

“Move him away from it, fast!” John yelled as he grabbed one of Mikey’s arms and tried dragging him across the room.

“What’s going on?” Henry took his other arm and helped John.

“His strange power. It comes from being able to absorb the data of defeated enemies and incorporate their abilities into his own. But, the Trioxic was never fully programmed so it becomes a mass of corrupted data. If he absorbs corrupted data, it causes him pain or worse.” Kimberly said flatly. She wrenched open the castle door and kicked the dissolving Trioxic corpse through it. “However, his absorption has a maximum distance, if the vanquished foe is outside that range, their data just disappears.” Kimberly stared as the Trioxic vanished from existence.

“That’s a pretty cool ability. How do I get it?” Jeremy sounded excited.

“Short answer, you can’t. It’s something unique to me and I can’t even explain how I got it. Combine it with an ability to glimpse a few seconds ahead and it makes very some wicked combination attacks.” He was sitting up against the grand staircase that went to the castle’s upper floors.

“What how is that, a few seconds?” Penelope looked at him surprised.

“For some reason I don’t experience the lag times that happen between the interface gear and the server, or the reflex lag between thinking an action and performing it. So while everyone’s receiving and sending response inputs to what happened fractions of a second before, I’m already reacting to what comes next.” He shrugged his shoulders, “How far ahead I’ve been able to see has actually increased since we got here. I’ve tried to keep the extent of those abilities under wraps though, my little trump card.”

“But The Phantom learned about your data absorbing one and decided to spawn something incomplete in order to try and kill you by corrupted data. Smart, not to mention that that Trioxic was substantially weaker than the ones we alpha tested.” John helped Mikey to his feet.

“So him surrendering the castle was a calculated plan to kill us.” Kerri remarked as she paced.

“Assuming we were able to get past the brainwashed Kimberly, the Trioxic was meant to finish us. But still…There’s something in those underground chambers that he wants. I could feel it when we fought. Something buried under this castle is why he picked this spot to build.” He held out his amulet which was still faintly glowing.

“So why doesn’t he have it, if it’s the entire reason he built here?” Jeremy asked.

“Because no matter how advanced he is, he still needs a human player to retrieve it.” Mikey’s eyes narrowed as he spoke. But before anyone could speak a deafening sound echoed around them. They ran outside and stood in the castle gateway staring as the sound rang again, it was the sound of a horn. And as they stared in the distance they could see where it came from, slowly moving across the Null Moon was a large army of golems, and at their head was The Phantom.

“Well John, I think we just got our answer for what Oort Cloud meant.” Henry shivered slightly at the sight of so many foes.

“John, how long do we have before the chapter two servers go live and everyone falls into The Phantom’s trap?” Mikey asked nervously, he already felt he knew the answer but he wanted to confirm his fears.

“Tomorrow, 5pm. Roughly twenty four hours from now.” Was John’s grim response.

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
I think I found my motivation in the last two weeks to work on this some more. Expect next chapter within a month or two.

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Okay, so it was 3/4 done already and I just needed the extra motivation to finish the last fourth. Sorry for making everyone wait so long, I just kind of lost the will to write more after zOMG was removed. But with its return imminent I've regained some of that will. Hope you all enjoy.

Chapter 28: Hearts Ablaze

“Well at least now we can pull the plug on The Phantom’s server if it’s a little close to that time for comfort.” Bret looked at Ryan as they looked over the stacks of electronic equipment in the basement.

“Not to mention we found The Phantom’s immersed body. Maybe we could just unplug him and see what happens.” Ryan stood over the semi-sleeping body of David, or more accurately the consumed body of David. While outwardly it looked like their old friend, the consciousness that controlled it now was the malevolent will of The Phantom. Ryan wondered how long such an evil creature had been using their friend as a mask.

“How exactly did we even find this place?” Bret asked.

“I could get into the technical talk of someone having an idea run a trace after that power surge to see if we could see where the data was being routed to, but I know you wouldn’t listen to it and your eyes would glaze over about halfway through it.” Ryan shrugged his shoulders as he joked with Bret.

“I wonder how crazy things are inside.” Bret stared at the blinking lights on some of the equipment.

“Let’s stagger out the players with have. We don’t want everyone lumped together. Not to mention we’ll need to support our animated allies.” Mikey was going over plans in the courtyard with the Anari and some of the other players that had come with the army.

“I’d like to point out, we’re defending a pretty big target.” Lei had his arms crossed over his chest as he looked at the rough sketches that were hastily put together.

“True but unless they have a means to break through these walls, they have to come through the front gates over there.” Omni retorted.

“We should not underestimate the lengths our foe will go to. I mean he surrendered his castle as part of a trap that probably has more layers than an ogre sized onion.” Mage decided to chime in.

“Alright, that’s enough. We have to get our crews organized. Each of you already have your teams set, and you know which animated brigade is your support. So unless there’s something else you want to weigh in with, your mission is defending the castle walls. When The Phantom himself decides to take to the field my crew and I will deal with him.” He paused as he heard Miles hovering overhead.

“Scouting report, sir.” He looked at McCoy as he landed.

“Report Miles.” The aged Anari replied.

“The Phantom doesn’t just have golems, he has his revived generals. Tridra, Frosti, Doppelord, they’re all coming.” The Anari sounded out of breath as he gave his report. “I flew back as quickly as I could.”

“Peace, Miles, your dedication is admirable.” McCoy and Miles bumped their heads together before Miles turned to go inside the castle.

“Well that certainly complicates things. A lot of his generals had an annoying ability to climb or fly, which makes spreading our defenses even more prudent.” Mikey stared at the map a few seconds before he heard Jeremy calling him.

“Mikey we found some stuff inside you’ll want to see.” Mikey looked concerned as Jeremy grabbed his arm and dragged him inside the castle. They rushed down the staircase and through the hallways to a basement room with its door ajar.

“Stasis tanks?” He blinked a few times as his eyes adjusted to the dim blue light.

“Not all of them are empty. Look.” Jeremy lead him to a section where several players that he and other survivors had presumed dead were floating in the crystal blue fluid of the tanks.

“Is there any way to wake them up?” He looked concerned but a bit relieved that nobody had been permanently killed yet.

“Been working on that. I think I’ve got things set to wake them up, though I can only wake them one at a time. I was waiting for you to give the okay before trying.” Kimberly was wearing a pair of lab goggles and had grease streaked across her face from where she had been working.

“Will they be able to fight? Recent scouting report indicates we’re going to need every fighter we can get on the walls.” He looked from Jeremy to Kimberly.

“I wouldn’t be able to say until we wake them. It would depend on how and when they went into suspension.” Kimberly crossed her arms as she stared back at Mikey.

“Alright, get them awake, but if it looks like it’s going to permanently hurt someone, then stop. You two use your best judgment. I have to check in with Penelope and the Aekean bots upstairs.” Mikey turned to go upstairs. His footfalls echoed off of the crystal walls as he reached the staircase. “Funny, three months ago I never dreamed I could be somewhere like this. I used to watch anime all the time with Alex, and now I’m in one.” He touched the pair of broken goggles around his neck, “If you were here, what would you do? Probably something stupidly reckless and flashy with lots of explosions.” He smiled to himself as he went up the stairs.

Even as he walked down the hallway he could hear Penelope swearing angrily at something in the communications room. As he stood by the door he could see her language had greatly disturbed the gold colored robot Aurum. He made the robot equivalent to a shrug as he stomped out of the room leaving a frustrated Penelope leaning over the console. “Did I come at a bad time?” He cautiously asked as he poked his head into the room.

“No. It’s just… Ugh how do I explain it.” She looked flustered as she crossed her arms and tapped her foot several times.

“Walk me through it one step at a time.” He leaned against the doorway trying to look calm and composed.

“We’ve managed to repair the transmitter.” She replied.

“That’s good, excellent.”

“Except, apparently there’s a password to access the systems we don’t have. I thought plugging in one of the bots would allow us to break it or bypass it. But no, instead we have a working transmitter with no way to use it.” She kicked the base of the terminal several times.

“You know, they don’t like it when people call them bots. They’ve said it makes them feel like you’re mocking them with a derogatory for lazy cheaters.” He replied calmly.

“Like I give an actual f-“ Penelope began.

“Did you try the password, Phantom3?” Mikey’s interrupting response caused her to shut up. As she turned to enter something on the terminal’s keyboard.

“How did you know that?” She looked angry and about ready to hit him.

“I could make a joke about how it makes sense because The Phantom views himself as a god and three is a divine number, but in reality, it’s written on that scrap of paper clinging to the wall behind you.” He pointed to a torn and crumpled piece of paper that hung on the wall.

“You a**.” Her face was red from embarrassment as he walked out the door. He continued down the hallway to the monitor room where John, Henry and Kerri were still trying to get an accurate count of what they were up against.

He took a few minutes to compose himself before approaching the room but he could already hear the three in there bickering, “I’m telling you, the number 20,123 is how many golems he has.” Henry raised his voice to just below a yell.

“And I’m saying it’s a total. Golems, generals and himself included.” Kerri’s voice was already a low yell.

“I’m telling you, looking at this map, it’s not a troop number, it’s a location. (20,123) here looks like a giant crystal spire with a flat top.” He heard John slam what he only imagined was the map table’s top. Mikey shook his head and took a deep breath before going inside.

“Alright, listen up. Enough of this bickering.” He pressed his hands against the table. He looked at one of the monitors that showed the moving walls of golems and tried doing a rough estimate in his head. “You’re all right. We’re fighting a force of 20,123 give or take a few hundred. And yes, this map indicates coordinates (20,123) as ‘Site Beta,’ so get over it and figure out what we’re going to do with that information. Got it?” He replied gruffly before walking back out the door. He hated having to be mean like that to them, but they needed someone to snap them back to reality.

Mikey stared up at the sky as he stepped into the courtyard. He felt a strange calmness as he looked at his watch. Eleven PM, it had been six hours since The Phantom’s troops began their march. At the pace they were moving it would still be another two hours before they reached the castle. For one reason or another The Phantom was taking his time and drawing out this final confrontation. He still felt some apprehension about not knowing the other staff member working with The Phantom, or if it was just a bluff. “One way or another in 18 hours one of us is going to stand victorious. And I hate losing.” Mikey muttered to himself as he flexed his hands. In about an hour he and anyone else who had invested in shield rings were going to raise a shield around the castle. He’d practiced with room sized shields before, but nothing as large as a castle. As much energy as it was going to take, he anticipated no fewer than 15 people could have the energy needed to raise such a shield, much less maintain it.

“Check on alpha.” Kimberly called out as she pulled a lever on one of the stasis chambers.

“Alpha is go.” Jeremy called back as he pulled his lever at the main computer in the lab room. Both of them watched their monitors as the first person they selected to remove from stasis slowly began to thaw. The blue liquid drained out several vents on the bottom of the tank he or she was in. They had a hard time telling the person’s gender because of the well-endowed female avatar, but the beard on the face suggested a man.

“Hey Jeremy, once this is all over what do you plan on doing?” Kimberly asked nervously, Jeremy was silent for a while before she added, “I mean after you get to return the real world?”

“You know, I never gave it much thought,” Jeremy scratched his chin as he thought, “Probably finish high school then pursue a degree in software design or computer programming. What about you?” Jeremy asked. He paused a few seconds before realizing, “I meant when you’re able to do you know, not focus on just being a computer program.”

Kimberly chuckled at how flustered Jeremy was, “I was thinking maybe be a relations person between the players of zOMG and the creatures of zOMG, I mean I don’t quite fit with either but can understand both.” She paused a few seconds, “Of course that assumes I don’t go rampant between now or then, but I think I kinda did go rampant and managed to come back from it.” She paused as the vital signs of their first revive began to display that they were fully awake.

Jeremy was doing a few checks on their vision before he asked, “What’s your name and what’s the last thing you remember?” He looked at the person as they slowly became alert.

“My name?” The person thought for a moment, “RevvRaptor, and the last thing I remember… well I remember getting swarmed by those piranha things in the rivers before the Otami Underworld.”

“RevvRaptor, that name rings a bell. Hey wait you were guy who always had those weird spider avis, you used to always creep me out when I joined. Alright, are you able to fight you think?” Jeremy asked.

“Fresh as a spring chicken. Which way?” RevvRaptor responded.

“Down the hall, up the stairs, down the next hall, out the doors, look for a guy with a blue robe or cape named Mikey.” Kimberly replied.

They watched him hobble a few steps before jogging out the door, “It works, we should get to thawing more people out, as quickly as we can.” Jeremy was already prepping the next tank, this one had an orange dragon looking person. “I know this person, she helped me when I first joined. Her name’s Ren.”

“Well then, let’s get her thawed out.” Kimberly pulled her lever to begin the thawing sequence as Jeremy pulled his.

“Whew, I sent all those messages Mikey wanted me to send. Maybe we’ll get a response before I have to close the connection.” Penelope looked around the room she was left alone in. She looked down at the data pad she had been downloading messages to send back to the real world. She was actually quite surprised at the volume of the tactical notes Mikey had been keeping on every fight they had, he’d collected and meticulously sorted data on every foe they had hoping to get some comparison against what was originally programmed. He even included some of his and Kimberly’s schematics for compressing animated data to streamline the AI coding for enemy units. “All this tactical data and not one letter home from him. He made sure everyone else had one to send, but nothing from him.”

She paced around the room for several minutes before something on the terminal began blinking. Penelope’s eyes widened as she began shaking with excitement. It was a message from home, several in fact. Most of them were responses to the tactical data Mikey had sent from the various developers who had coded those enemies. There was also a list of names of players that had been lost and presumed dead, and something else. “A letter from his dad. Interesting.” She tapped the data pad she was using to send a message to the pad that been left with Jeremy.

“Jeremy, got a list of names. Can u compare it 2 the names of people ur thawing out. Don’t want 2 leave any1 bhind. ~P” She attached the list of names to the message and sent it. She decided to scroll through some of the data on foes that they got back. Aside from the major bosses, which were marked as having substantial changes to their tactics and passive abilities most enemies looked like The Phantom had given them a simple +20% to their stats. It also looked like the Otami Underworld was greatly changed, lighting the area should have taken a one-time light burst and the Bloodstone Bracelets should have been able to completely negate the entry mental attack.

“I’m going to chalk the bracelets not working to the source that actually gave them to Michael. Oh…” Penelope stopped partway through the document when there was information on an item called Time Axis. It included a rough sketch of the concept work done for it. “That’s… that’s an amulet. Just like ours. It was sealed in a dev only area due to balance issues but it was programmed in so it could be rebalanced later. The door responds to human touch and it resonates with the other six amulets.” She continued to read the information within the document, her eyes only widening with disbelief, “The door will only open for one who has mastered the six.” She looked at the clock on the tablet, “Oh crap, ten minutes till show time. I better get this stuff down to Mikey.” She grabbed the pad and ran out the door.

“How close are we to piecing all this data back together?” Henry stared bored as Kerri and John were going back and forth with scraps of paper they had found in the room and trying to retrieve data from the smashed displays.

“Probably would be done sooner if you were contributing. As it is we’re just barely getting anything.” Kerri sounded angry as she entered some of the information she’d found on a balled up scrap of paper into the data pad the three of them were sharing.

“I’ve made next to zero progress, this data has been flipped and flopped so many times that we could have The Phantom’s pron stash or his global domination plans and we wouldn’t be able to tell.” John growled through clenched jaws.

Henry stared bored at the display John was working on, “Nah, you just need to be able speak the same language as the data, then you can recognize where the typos are and correct them. Here.” Henry stepped up to the display John was working on and began reworking some of the characters on the screen. After a few seconds the gibberish was gone, in its place were lists of supplies and building instructions.

“How in the world?” Kerri stared in disbelief.

“This what you were in school for, isn’t it?” John’s awestruck stare and tone of disbelief made Henry smile as he went to the next file.

“Smarter than I look, aren’t I?” He only chuckled as they both stared dumbfounded at Henry. “Hey Kerri, those papers you’ve been piecing back together, don’t bother. They’re all printouts of these files. Man, whatever he was erecting at 20,123 was huge.”

“That’s what she said.” Both John and Henry stopped and stared at Kerri.

“Did you just?”

“Looks like she finally got the sense of humor.”

“Umm guys, it’s getting pretty close to show time. Should we maybe take what we’ve got to Mikey?” Kerri asked.

“Not yet, I’ve almost got a complete readout of whatever he was building it looks like a giant version of that device we found in Aekea.” Henry began copying the files he decrypted onto the data pad. Once it was done, he handed the pad to Kerri and nodded as he turned back to the display of scrambled code.

Kerri was running down the hallway when she bumped into Penelope. She saw on the data pad that Penelope had were several annotations and diagrams, “What did you manage to find?”

“We got responses on most of the things Mikey had me send. He even got a letter from his dad.” Penelope and Kerri both slowed to a brisk walk as the hallway went around a corner.

“Uh oh. That’s not going to end well.” Kerri replied.

“Why’s that? I thought with his dad being the main developer of the controller used for the game a letter might give him good news or an edge of some kind.” Penelope looked confused now.

“Mikey and his dad don’t have what you would call a great father-son relationship. If anything, Mikey’s harbored feelings of rage and anger towards his father for what happened when they had their falling out. And from what I understand it hasn’t improved much since his dad reappeared as the designer and owner of the company that produces the helmet controllers we’ve been using.” Kerri rambled.
“Wow, I almost don’t want to give it to him now.” Penelope said as they passed by the stairwell to the basement. Kimberly was already at the top and looked like she was out of breath.

“Wait a minute, if I came from the data room and you came from the transmission room wouldn’t the stairs have been behind us?” Kerri looked a bit worried.

“The room’s positions change every hour but the general shape of the hallways and castle don’t. The Phantom thought it a good security measure in case someone ever got this far, anyway, I have something I need to deliver to Mikey so come on.” Kimberly began to lead the small troop through the hallway to the main doors.

“What are you delivering? I can’t imagine thawing people out has anything that needs to be delivered.” Kerri stared at Kimberly suspiciously.

“It’s a secret project that Mikey and I have been working on since Aekea, he handed it off to me to finish up while he dealt with stuff up top. Can’t say any more than that, sorry.” The three of them opened the doorway to find Mikey talking to what looked like a very thin and slimmed down golem.

“My master offers very generous terms for your surrender. All estimates indicate that you will suffer a casualty rate of 45% or higher in the coming battle. His offer allows everyone else to go free in exchange for you, your crew, the Anari scum, and the traitor program.” The golem droned.

“I assume by traitor program you mean Kimberly.” Mikey looked at the four assembled players he had been talking strategy with, he’d called them his generals. “What do you guys think?” He asked with a serious tone.

“Thirteen lives for everyone else’s? It would sound like a fair trade except for one catch,” Mage began.

“Yeah, the catch being that the whole point of coming here was stopping The Phantom’s plan of mental virus. Sure saving a bunch of players and friendly animated is nice but not when you lose the main objective.” Omni added.

“Aurum, the animated voted you a while back to be their representative when it came to these strategy discussions, what are your thoughts?” He looked at the gold colored robot that had been recharging.

“I speculate The Phantom is banking on your desire to avoid bloodshed and trying to force you into a suicidal option. That gives his overall plan a 100% chance of success.” The robot sounded sleepy as he rose to his full height. Mikey wondered if the robots viewed recharging the same way he viewed sleep.

“Guess that settles it.” Mikey shrugged his shoulders before turning back to the messenger golem, “You can tell your master that we’d sooner drink Gramster Goo than let him succeed.” He stared the golem down as it departed.

“Very well then.” It finally said as it left out the gate, “I shall make sure to arrange the Gramster Goo.”

Mikey turned to find the women of his traveling group waiting for him at the table full of notes, “Okay guys, what’s the word?” He sat down and motioned to the chairs behind them to sit.

“Jeremy and I have been able to match everyone we’ve found either in the army already or in the basement to a name on the list that was sent. Including finding braindead bodies for the three you asked me about in particular. Unfortunately, nothing can be done for them here, if at all.” Kimberly spoke up first.

“John’s not going to be too thrilled about that one, but he needs to know now.” Mikey looked disappointed by that piece of news.

“We got some data off his systems, a lot of it indicates he was building something big.” Kerri showed Mikey some of the diagrams.

“It’s a matter-energy transporter, he designed it himself to use electrical energy to transport things from this world to ours. It can also bypass the server hopping restrictions were it to be used to target a game server location. He used a prototype in Aekea, and chances are he’s got another one stashed somewhere in the castle. Next.” Mikey replied flatly.

“We got some replies from home. Mostly confirmations of what you suspected. Most of the animated enemies have had an across the board 20% buff from what the original programming was, but bosses received large AI upgrades putting them just below human players in their ability to devise strategies. There was also a letter from your dad.” Penelope waited to see Mikey’s response, but he didn’t even bat an eyelash.

“Okay, Kerri and Penelope you both know what’s left to do get what you can done before final curtain call. Kimberly, I have other things I have to go over with you.” He replied flatly. He looked down at his data pad where Penelope had forwarded him his father’s letter. He waited until Kerri and Penelope had gone before speaking again. “Is it going to be ready in time?”

“I was just applying the final touches to Project Guilty Thorn as I decided to come up. It’s ready, but are you sure you’ll need it?” She looked at him a bit concerned.

“I’ve known for a while now that while strong the Ghi Blade was something already known by The Phantom. I’d rather have Guilty Thorn and not need it, than wish I had it and need it.” He looked down as Kimberly nodded her head and stood up.

“Jeremy and I have been able to speed up the thawing process, we should be able to have everyone awake and able to fight by final curtain call.” She paused a moment and looked back at him, “If the worst should happen tonight, I want you to know the months I’ve been with you and the others have made me happy to have been created. Even if it was only a glimpse into people, the way you all are makes me happy to have known you.” She turned and walked towards the castle door.

“I might as well find out what my dad wanted to say now.” He stared at the mail’s icon a few seconds before pressing the button to open it.

“Dear, Michael… no that doesn’t sound quite right, Dear Son… still doesn’t sound right, oh well.

I can’t begin to imagine some of the terrible things you’ve had to do in order to survive in this world because of me. If I’d actually taken the time to be your dad instead of place blame on you, maybe things between us could have been different. I don’t know, maybe it’s already too late to even try to mend things and close the rift between us.

I’d like you to work with me and be part of a company that someday I’d like to pass down to you. I’ve seen some of your work from when you were still in college. That paper you published about cognitive immersion and building virtual spaces that could provide real world services, like an entirely virtual research lab to streamline R&D departments really blew my mind. Or how about the one where proposed that with a neural controller device coming soon for games that it could be possible to modify the scanners on it from facial scanners to full body scanners to be able to put affordable health screening devices into every person’s home? I really liked that idea but could never figure out how to miniaturize some of the needed on board equipment. You even published one about being able to use one to stabilize a coma patient for long term care until they’re able to wake up. That one actually has already seen some success in the experiment phase and is going through a semi-first live trial with the uhh adventure you’re on right now. Why did you decide to drop out of Neural-Computer Studies and go into Chemical Engineering? Was it to avoid having to deal with me, because you actually show a keen understanding and natural talent for NCS.

Any ways, I have a new wife and we have a son, he’s about 10 years old now and his name is Christopher. I’d like you to meet them when you get out of there. I know you aren’t exactly keen on crossing paths with me, but I want to try and be a family again, and I want you to help me with that.

Good luck in your coming fight, knock him on his a**.
-Michael Berth Sr. err Dad”

Mikey felt his chest wrench as he read the letter, “He’s been following my career since college?” He thought back to when a mysterious donation had been made to the school’s computer science department the same year he published that paper. He was only a second year but he’d either tested out of or taken all his prerequisite courses. When he learned later that year what his father’s company did, he changed his major. It cost him an extra round of summer school, but he thought at the time it was worth it. “Wait ten years old? That means,” Mikey paused as he did a rough estimate, “This new wife was already pregnant when my mom and Maria died. That lying, cheating, no… now’s not the time.” He took a few breaths to keep from getting angry. He rose from his seat and approached an X marking that had been placed at what had been determined to be the exact center of the castle grounds. He took several more breaths to calm himself as he began to focus on the task at hand, creating a gigantic energy shield around the castle. His ability to create shields was the strongest so he was to create the initial barrier. Other people that they’d found or revived had been placed along the castle walls and towers and were to use their shield rings to strengthen the shield once it was raised. Even so, Mikey worried, the largest shield he’d ever created was the size of a medium sized room, a castle was a number of order of magnitudes larger.

“I can do this. In the point between rage and serenity lies true focus.” He could feel the energy oozing out of his palm as he raised it towards the sky. The stream of crystal blue energy shot skyward, past the castle walls, past the tallest towers, it rose like a pale beacon as Mikey focused all his energy into shaping it. As the beacon hovered over the castle for a second it began to grow smaller strands of energy that formed a disc around it before gently falling around the castle. In the darkness below the castle the strands rejoined creating a skeletal sphere around the castle. “Just a little more.” Mikey strained as he poured more of his energy into forming the barrier. Small hexagonal tiles began to grow between the strands of energy. As the hexagonal tiles began to spread between the strands the entire barrier began to spark and glow a faint blue.

“It’s hauntingly beautiful.” Kerri remarked as she stood in the doorway waiting for Kimberly. She had her arms crossed as she stared down the computer program.

“The Phantom’s probably going to see this as a challenge. You wanted to see me alone.” Kimberly stared back at Kerri as she followed her into the castle. “And I’m sensing some hostility towards me.” Kimberly added.

Kerri didn’t speak as they walked through some of the corridors, “I’ll be honest. I don’t trust you, nor do I like you.” Kerri and Kimberly were walking through the hallways and that comment caused Kimberly to stop.

“Why?” Was her only response to Kerri’s harsh words.

“I still think there’s something you’re hiding. Some other purpose you have in helping us. What it is, I still don’t know, but that nagging feeling that there’s more to you bugs me.” Kerri stopped and glared at Kimberly. Her stare was piercing and angry as Kimberly stammered to respond.

“At first my plan was to use you to remove The Phantom from my path to conquest.” Kimberly stared back, “But once I began fighting alongside you and learning more about you, that changed.”

Kerri’s eyes narrowed as she continued to stare Kimberly down, “Care to elaborate? I have some time.” Her voice was icy as she responded.

“Something changed. I saw you fighting to defend more than just yourselves. You actually cared about what happened to this world, and its inhabitants. When I saw that, something inside me changed. I didn’t want you to just dethrone The Phantom for me, I actually wanted to help you save both worlds. I can’t explain it.” Kimberly looked down and scratched her head, “And then Mikey began working with me to try and solve some of the big problems this world had, that’s when I began to truly fight for a world of peace.”

“Well alright then.” Kerri’s face and stance softened, “Seeing as you want to truly help now, and given Mikey trusts you. I trust you. Just, be careful out there.” Kerri held her fist up and Kimberly stared confused before she realized it was for a fist bump. Both of them stumbled as there was a loud crash against the glowing barrier.

“Looks like The Phantom’s already begun his assault.” Kimberly led Kerri back outside where they found Mikey lying semi-conscious on the ground. His breathing was heavy as his eyes remained fixed on the shimmering shield around the castle. Soon enough John, Henry, Penelope and Jeremy had run out to check on the commotion.

“Sir it looks like the enemy has begun to try and remove the defensive shielding.” Aurum reported. “If he continues to strike it with projectiles similar to the last one, the current shield’s integrity will fail in one hundred and twenty-three attacks.”

Mikey struggled to sit back up as he looked at the gold robot, [colo=red]“Everyone in position?” He asked. The gold robot simply nodded its response, “Then buy us as much time as possible. There’s something still hidden here we have to find before he reaches it.” He stood up and dusted himself off as he looked over his crew. “There’s another amulet in the castle somewhere. And he wants it, desperately. It’s like his life depends on it. We have to find it before he does.”

“Something like that would be in the basement. It’s where the ancient rooms the castle was built over are, and if he didn’t hide it himself, it’s most likely there.” Kimberly responded before leading them into the castle and down the staircase into the basement. She led them in silence as the only sounds were the occasional thud of something against the energy shield outside or the clicking of their steps against the crystal floor.

Mikey held his amulet up and turned several times as he was trying to determine something, “Kimberly, are there more basement levels? I think it’s somewhere below us.” He asked as he watched his amulet glow brighter when he lowered it towards the ground.

“Several. The lowest one is about seven stories underground. But, the stair ways to each level don’t exactly line up into one staircase. We’ll have to traverse each and every floor.” Her voice echoed in the darkness. Another explosion impacted the shield, this one caused the castle underneath it to shudder.

Henry pulled up a diagram of the castle defenses, “That was a big one. It wiped out 5% of the shield integrity by itself.” The darkness around them seemed to swallow all the light given off by the readout, even Mikey’s light amulet was a dim glow in the black as they continued down to the second basement.

“So what was in these basements?” Jeremy felt a shiver as he asked his question.

“Only the uppermost basement was used by The Phantom and even then it was only research and development for some of his monsters. Everything from here and lower were a series of ruins that were leftover from an alpha build of a dungeon that the development team didn’t want to fully scrap.” She tapped one of the half crumbled archways.

“I think we called the dungeon Buried and Forgotten: An Ancient Evil Awakens. It was designed to delve deep into the Null Moon to uncover the secrets about Null Crystals. But we scrapped it because we couldn’t get the item rewarded at the end to be balanced right and some of the monsters in the dungeon were too overpowered for single crews, so we tried to get big team instances to work but it was no good.” John droned on as they descended a staircase.

Penelope’s ears twitched as they reached the bottom of the stairs, “Hold on, we aren’t alone down here.” She formed a small fireball as a shadow darted out of her line of sight. She hurled her fireball at where she thought the creature was only to hear a slurping sound. The crew stared in horror as a purple slime began to glow from inside as it absorbed the fireball. It squished several times as a goofy, toothy smile crossed its face, at least they hoped it was a face that was sitting below a pair of eyestalks. Henry shot it with a jet of water only for it to absorb the water and grow larger.

“Kerri, shoot it with your shadow energy now.” Mikey pointed at the purple slime as he heard more slimes approaching.

Kerri shot the purple slime with her shadow attack and the slime exploded into a purple puddle on the ground, “How did you know?”

“When it absorbed both Henry and Penelope’s attacks I realized the color had to be important.” He pointed at some of the approaching slimes and they counted six different colors of slime. “Okay guys match up against any slimes that are the same color as your amulet, Kimberly hang back.” Mikey pointed to the yellow, red, green, blue, purple, and brown slimes that were approaching them from the hallways.

“Sire, there’s an energy barrier around the castle. The humans must have erected it to repel us.” A worried golem reported to The Phantom.

“Michael.” He shook his fist, “So they did survive the Trioxic in the basement, my scout didn’t lie to me. The boy must have realized what is hidden there by now and plans to seek it.” The Phantom paused to scratch his chin as he examined the glowing orb around the castle. “All according to plan.” He began laughing to himself as his army began organizing into columns as some of them continued to launch projectiles at the barrier. “Give them some time to find the treasure. March!” The columns began to slowly march towards the pathway leading to the castle. Their thunderous footfalls were deafening as they approached.

“Phew… I think that’s the last of them.” Jeremy breathed a sigh of relief as the last of the green slimes dissolved.

“Alright, then let’s go.” Kimberly took off at a run towards the next staircase they needed to descend. She slowed her pace until she could hear the others just behind her. Down into the inky blackness they ran as above them the impacts to the shield multiplied. Kimberly thought to herself as she tried estimating how much damage each impact made and how frequent they were.

“Fifteen minutes.” Mikey whispered in the darkness beside her.

“So you’re a telepath now?” Kimberly whispered back.

“No, just worried about the same thing.” The next floor greeted them with the sight of piled up gold and silver coins. There were treasure chests bursting with all manner of wrought golden and jeweled items, and at the far end of the room sat a gilded throne with a massive stone giant sitting upon it.

“It looks like one of those golems we had to run from back in Gold Beach, only much bigger.” Henry stared in awe as the stone giant only stared at them.

“Chances are The Phantom based his golems on that big guy. What hasn’t he copied from elsewhere?” Penelope scoffed as she began running across the room, “You’re in our way!” She yelled as she hurled a larger fireball at the sitting giant. The creature only smirked as the fireball only singed part of its nose. In one of its hands it carried a massive hammer, the other was balled into a fist.

“Penelope move!” Henry dove and shoved Penelope out of the way just as the hammer crashed into the ground she would have been standing on.

“Sentry the Guardian of Infinity, am I reading his information correctly?” Kerri asked as a tag for the monster’s name popped up when she targeted him.

“s**t. This guy was never meant to be released. He was designed so that three or four crews would need to team up to stop him.” John remarked as Mikey charged into battle. His sword was already glowing from readying an attack.

Winged Storyteller

62,425 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
“We don’t have time to grab help right now. We’ll just have to make due with our one crew. Henry, Kerri and Kimberly hang in the back, keep the rest of us healed. John, Penelope and Jeremy, we’re taking him head on, if you get too beat up fall back and wait to be healed.” Mikey called out the plan as he made a slashing attack on Sentry’s leg. He rolled backwards to avoid the massive hammer as it swung past him.

John’s Hot Foot lit up the ground beneath Sentry as Jeremy used his Dervish to spin the guardian around. Mikey and Penelope's blades crossed one another as they both used Slash on the spinning creature’s chest. “Here comes that hammer!” Jeremy called out as the massive stone giant swung his hammer at the attackers. Even though it missed them, the damage from the shockwave it created was enough to knock them from their feet.

“Don’t worry, we got you.” Kimberly called as little dandelion puffs exploded around them. Everywhere the puffs touched one of them glowed a bright green as they felt reinvigorated.

“Hey Mikey, maybe you can take the umph out of his swing with a Knife Sharpen, yeah?” Henry yelled over the din of battle.

“Not a bad idea.” Mikey jumped into the air and flung several small knives into the stone creature. Each of the knives glowed as they were absorbed into the monster. “Some adrenaline wouldn’t hurt either.” Mikey’s empty ring finger glowed as several syringes appeared in the air in front of his arm. He made a slashing motion with his arm and the syringes flew towards the massive Sentry. He was twenty feet tall and their attacks were barely phasing him, even Sentry’s misses were beginning to wear them down from the shockwave damage. “Faster.” Mikey gritted his teeth as he became more wild in the pacing of his attacks. “Come on!” He yelled as the hammer clashed with his blade.

Mikey’s eyes were glowing a bright amber as the hammer and sword were sparking from smashing into one another. “Now’s our chance. Give it everything you’ve got! Henry, Kerri, Kimberly switch to offense now!” Penelope called as Mikey kept the monster and its hammer glued to him. Where the blade and the hammer locked, golden sparks showered out.

“Now then,” Mikey managed to thrust the hammer up throwing Sentry off balance, “Time to finish this. Finishing move! Giga Blade Impact!” He charged through the off balance giant leaving a large gash across its chest. He shrugged as he sheathed his sword and turned towards the giant. There was a large thud as it fell to the ground and began to dissolve. “Let’s keep moving.” He said as a staircase down appeared behind Sentry’s throne.

“Hey Mikey, what in the world were those abilities you used? They didn’t look like any kind of ring or weapon effects.” Henry asked with a puzzled look on his face.

“You really don’t want to know.” Mikey replied as he took a seat to recover from the fight.

“Actually, I think we’d all like to know.” Jeremy looked at him, “I mean it was awesome but we’re kind of hoping you aren’t going to die of blood loss or implode the server.”

“Alright, but I’m not responsible for blowing your mind.” Mikey shrugged his shoulders, “Every time I’ve fought The Phantom one on one, I’ve absorbed and integrated some of his abilities into my own. It’s strange though, they don’t feel like rings or animated attacks, more like a passive ability or buff, and I haven’t had to shred him apart to acquire them. It’s like I pick them up just from exposure to them. In particular I recently acquired Blade Lock, which allows me to catch all enemy attacks for a short time span. There was another one I got in our last fight called Heroic Defense, when activated in unison with Blade Lock it allows me to go toe to toe with an boss enemy for a short time without needing to watch my health or stamina, though it does leave me immobile for a while. I think he crafted those for himself to fit his style of being alone and unmoving in battle.”

“Regardless of where they came from, in a crew situation those are entirely broken, though they did prove useful this time. Any ways, we should be going soon.” Penelope was standing by the staircase.

“We have two more floors still, and that shield’s only lasting another five minutes at best.” Kimberly wheezed as they ran. As their eyes cleared and adapted to the darkness of the sixth basement level all they could see was a glowing pedestal. Upon it sat twelve differently colored crystals. There was a crude drawing of several intersecting shapes and a circle in the middle.

“There’s writing on the pedestal, ‘Only one who has learned to balance the twelve may move on.’ What do you think that means?” Jeremy looked dumbfounded.

“Twelve numbers on a clock? I don’t know.” Kerri looked at it.

Mikey stared at the shapes as thoughts crossed his mind, “I’ve seen this symbol before. It was in that library in Durem, but it wasn’t nearly this complicated.” He stared at the colors of the crystals before picking the dark red crystal up. As he examined it he held it in his gauntleted hand and another thought crossed his mind, it was the same color as the crystal that had grown around his arm, and the yellow crystal upon the pedestal was the same color as his amulet, right down to the faint glow it gave off in the darkness. “Hold out your amulets guys.” The others looked confused at his request but as they held out their amulets he began to separate the crystals into two groups. One group was made up of crystals the same colors as their amulets, the second group was crystals that he now realized were the same color as the growths they had each carried from the beginning of chapter two.

“So we have crystals in two groups, what now?” Penelope still looked discouraged at the puzzle.

“He remember in the Aekean toy store when Wayne remarked that each of us had a secondary mutation. Didn’t he give labels to each of those?” John piped up as he looked at the divided crystals.

“Yes, he did. There was soul,” He pointed to the darkred red crystal that matched his growth, “I believe he said Kerri had ice,” He pointed to the purple-pink crystal that was on the pedestal.

“He said Henry had lightning,” Penelope indicated the purple-blue colored crystal, “I had stone,” she pointed to the orange colored crystal.

“Jeremy had jungle,” Kerri pointed out the lime green crystal, “And that meant John has metal, which is this one.” She touched the red-brown crystal.

“Let’s say we’re supposed to put one crystal into each of these shapes, we still have no idea of how to arrange them, and it looks like we’re a crystal short.” Kimberly pointed to the circle in the middle of the shape.

“Six spokes on the outside, an inner ring with six wedges and a circle in the middle of it all.” Mikey thought for a second, “There are six amulets, each one creates a massive force of destruction when combined with another. Like when John and Jeremy combine earth and air, or Kerri and I combine light and shadow. So I think it’s safe to assume however they’re arranged the crystals that represent our respective amulets need to be arranged in such way that light and shadow are opposite one another, fire and water are opposite, and earth and wind are opposite.”

“Maybe our mutations weren’t so random.” Jeremy began, “When you think about it metal and jungle are always at odds as man’s machines square off against nature. The cold brought by the ice is often seen as death, which would rob ones soul. But you got me with lightning and stone, I don’t know how those oppose one another.”

“No matter how much the storm rages the mountain will not bow. Lightning is the storm’s rage and stone represents the mountain.” Kerri finished Jeremy’s thought.

“So the inner wedges are our mutations and those need to be arranged in opposites as well. There’s still no way of arranging the outer spokes.” Another large tremor shook the entire castle as they stared at the puzzle. A high pitched hum reverberated through the castle as the castle continued to shake.

“The shield must have just collapsed. We don’t have time to debate any more. Time to just take a guess and hope for the best.” Mikey picked up the twelve crystals and began placing them into the shapes upon the pedestal. As he placed the last crystal the entire pedestal began to glow.

A shimmering staircase to the floor below appeared as everyone looked at Mikey confused, “How did you figure it out?” Henry looked at the glowing symbols on the pedestal.

“To be honest I took a guess based on how we always find ourselves arranged whenever we form a circle to come up with a plan or sleep. John always ends up on my right, Penelope on my left. From there, our mutations are on our right arms so soul would link light to earth, and metal to water, and so on.” He smiled, “I guess it worked. Now let’s go.”

The Phantom fell back as he felt the rush from pouring out so much energy fade, “Storm the castle. Leave nothing alive, I’m in no mood to deal with prisoners, aside from the ones I specifically mentioned.” He said as he stared up at the shield, several holes had begun to form as it began to collapse.

“Yes sire, thy will be done.” The Kamila that was leading his forces turned to lead the golems into the castle siege.

The Phantom laughed to himself, it had taken all of the boy’s effort and focus to raise the shield, and it had taken all of his power and fury to shatter it. It seemed oddly symmetric to him, for their two powers to square off like that. “So this is how things are going to be.” He smiled as he rose to his feet.

Mikey stared at the circular lock on the heavy iron door they found themselves in front of. It looked like something was supposed to fit inside the lock, something long and cylindrical. They’d been stuck at the lock for at least five minutes. Five minutes of angry stares at something taunting him. Five minutes, and he knew the shield above had been broken and people above were probably having to fight for their lives. “I hate to say this, but we’re not going to be able to open this. We can keep The Phantom from reaching the door. We need to head topside and help with the defense.” He began running through the cleared rooms he could hear the fevered footfalls behind him of the others trying to keep up. Around the stairs, through the shadows, his lungs were beginning to burn from the exertion but they were into the first basement level. He was rounding the stairs to go up to the main castle when he heard something crashing down from above.

“Look out!” Henry dove and tackled Mikey out of the way as a golem rolled and crashed down the stairs. The golem had several bite marks and cuts on its surface, the growling and sounds overhead sounded like Outlaw Wolves and Kokeshi Dolls fending off golems. Another explosion shook the castle as the footfalls of more golems could be heard overhead.

The stairwell was too narrow for drawing any weapons but their hands were already glowing from the charges building in their Lancer Rings. The first golem across the stair’s threshold was met with a dazzling blast of six different beams of energy. As the holes formed in the golem’s body it collapsed and fell sending up a cloud of dust. “It’s show time!” Jeremy shouted as they spread out to attack the approaching golems.

“We make it out of this, I’m inviting you all to my clan, I mean it this time.” Henry said over the din of battle.

“You sure your clan mates would be okay with that?” Kerri replied as she blasted through a golem.

“Seeing as I’m the clan’s owner. I can invite whoever I please. If the rest of the clan don’t like it, well that’s their problem.” Henry replied to her question.

Mikey smirked as he deflected a projectile from one of the golems with his hack ring, “Sorry Henry, I’m a solo player.” Mikey ran his hack through the closest golem before lunging at the next with a flurry of lancer shots.

“You don’t like clans or something?” Penelope asked as they pushed towards the front doors.

“Seriously, you’d pass up the chance to join a pretty cool clan with your friends?” Jeremy asked as he tossed three golems with his dervish.

“I just can’t. I’m a… I’m a solo player.” Mikey paused as the question caught him off guard. His mind raced back to the very first time he’d been asked to join a clan.

“Come on Michael, it’d be so much fun to have our own clan. And we’d only invite our friends and it’d be pretty cool. I already picked out a name and designed our banner.” Alex tugged at Mikey’s arm after their thermodynamics class got out. He’d been silent since the professor went over computing the internal energy change during reactions.

“Friends huh? Like we have any that actually play zOMG.” He laughed as he patted Alex’s head.

“Says the guy who never shows up to the computer club meetings despite being one of the founders of the club.” Alex still clutched his arm as they walked down the hallways towards a computer lab. “Actually, a lot of the people in the club have taken to zOMG like ducks to water. I was thinking our clan could start with people from it.”

“Okay, so what exactly did you have in mind for a clan name?” He looked to his side to stare into her eyes.

“Knights of the Crimson Blade,” Alex responded with an airy tone. She frowned when she heard Mikey laughing. “Oh what’s so wrong about that name?”

“It just sounds like something you’d find in an anime.” He tried to keep a straight face as he responded.

Her eyes narrowed as she stared him down, “You’re one to talk seeing as you can’t pull yourself away from them long enough to actually study. What did you get on the last thermo test anyway?”

“You aren’t going to like it.” He smiled as he opened the computer lab door.

“Couldn’t have done better than I did. I spent hours with my nose buried in the book memorizing heat exchange equations.” She went into the lab as he held the door for her.

“All that studying and you only managed a 70 right?” He picked a computer in the back row and sat down to unpack his bag.

“Stop stalling, how’d you do?” She sat down next to him and began unpacking her bag.

“Oh, just an 86.” He said barely paying attention as he pulled out a pair of headphones.

“86? How in the hell did you do that? You barely study or if you do, you don’t show up to any of the groups. How did you outscore me? I thought I had the highest score in the class.” She began asking Mikey question after question as he slipped on his headphones.

“I do all my best work alone. Any ways, I already got the fluid dynamics homework you’re about to start done last night so if you want to check your answers.” He pulled out the pages of graphing paper that were sloppily stapled together.

“What? You already finished it? But it’s not due till next week, we haven’t even gone over half the material on the homework. Why are you even here if you’re already done?” Alex’s face reddened in agitation.

“To keep you company. Besides the apartment is pretty boring when you’re here working all night.” He smiled as he opened the web browser on the computer and was browsing through the various social websites.

“You’re such an a**.” Alex whispered as she leafed through his homework packet.

“They blamed me for what happened to her. And the clan disbanded after that.” Mikey whispered as he cut down a golem in front of the door. Ever since that day, I’ve been a solo player. He sidestepped a golem’s stunner blast as he opened the door to the courtyard. Bright flashes peppered the otherwise dark environment the only light came from the dull glowing of pale blue light crystals placed around the castle, but even their glow was faint in the black of night. Several pieces of cracked and broken stonework littered the courtyard floor, they’d been blasted out of their places by stray attacks and explosions. Mikey spun his blade to deflect another round of incoming projectile attacks, his blade sparked several times as the projectiles were dissipated by the impacts.

“That’s a lot of golems. But where are the generals?” Kimberly commented as they rushed into the fray. The small gateway was bottlenecking golems trying to enter, but the troops along the walls were having trouble repulsing catapult shots coming from outside the wall. Another explosion shook the ground as another catapult’s attack impacted the wall and burst.

Mikey rushed towards a group of gnomes attempting to fight off a pair of golems. His hand ran along his blade as he ran imbuing it with a golden shimmer as he leapt and dodged around several stunner shots. “Not today.” He said as he slashed at the golems as he dove into the fight. The cuts his blade left glowed and sparked before the golems crumbled into piles of dust. He took a moment to nod to the gnomes before he began jumping up the stairs to castle walls, he was taking the stairs four at a time as he only slowed to deflect stunner shots with his sword. The wall and battlements closest to the gate were being overrun with golems that had either climbed up the sides of the castle or had rushed up the stairs to take the wall’s defenders from behind. The glimmering orbs of silver deflected harmlessly off his blade as he pushed closer to the besieged fighters on that wall. Just ahead he could see the sparks of one of the Anari’s staffs shooting bursts of energy, he gauged from the pale purple glow it was Deanna and her ice trying to fend off a mob of golems that had surrounded her position. He could clearly see behind her the six players he’d placed on that wall trying desperately to keep their healing paced with the attacks, but the combination of stunner shots and the menacing melee attacks of the golems were causing them to lose health and stamina faster than it was regenerating. His blade hummed and glowed as he jumped over the wall of golems and his feet slid as he landed in the middle of the mob.

“And here I thought we were done for.” Deanna panted as the glowing blade fired pulses of energy at the golems facing her. She breathed a sigh of relief as she turned to focus on the golems that were pulverizing the defending crew.

“Everyone’s getting out of this alive, if I have anything to say about it.” Mikey lunged at a golem as it went to punch one of the crew members. A crunch and a sound of breaking glass echoed on the wall as the blade struck the golem’s fist, shattering the hand and causing fissures all along the golem’s body. “I guess The Phantom sacrificed quality for quantity with this batch, cause you’re all pieces of garbage.” He remarked as he pulled his blade free and chopped down another nearby golem.

Henry smirked as he saw Mikey diving into the fray on the wall overhead. He pulled out the shield Mikey lent him and pushed his way into the sortie at the gate. He saw the shield glow and spark each time a stunner shot impacted its surface, and he began to wonder how the shield’s energy reflection held up against those stunners. Were they strong enough the shield could reflect them, or did the stunning aspect of them cause the shield just to dissipate them? He saw the winking of a blue energy shield in the mob ahead as one of the players that had been positioned there repeatedly attempted to raise a shield around himself and the small party with him. With the number of golems attacking, the shield was being broken faster than he could raise a new one.

“I got you rookies.” Henry said as he hacked through the nearest golem. He could feel the slight pings each time a stunner bounced off of the shield as he swung around to attack the next golem. Something was different about these golems, they felt lighter or flimsier, he was trying to determine which it was as he lifted one off the ground with a swing of his blade. He felt the shield pinging constantly as the mob kept trying to shoot him, but the shield only hummed and reflected the stunning shots. “I wonder why he always gives me the shield. And why he never uses it. I mean, I don’t mind him loaning it to me, but I want to know why.” Henry was talking to himself as he bumped and hacked his way through several golems in the mob.

“Thank you.” He turned and saw the group he’d just rescued getting back to their feet and beginning to fight again. Henry paused a second to see what kind of team Mikey had assigned to defend the main gate.

“He got people that could mix things up between melee and range, interesting.” Henry noted as he fought alongside the group.

Penelope breathed a sigh of relief as she saw Henry helping that other crew secure the main gate. The crew she found herself working with was trying to knock a large blue-gray hand off of the castle wall. She’d seen this hand before and was afraid of what it was attached to, “Come on we got to get it off the wall before it climbs over!” She’d tried burning it off with fire rain, and when that didn’t work she tried slashing at the fingers hoping they would break. Doppelord refused to let go and Penelope jumped back as his other hand reached up to grab onto the edge. She could see his fear aura was already starting to affect the group around her, one of the crew members had paused mid hack before collapsing to the ground screaming.

“Ranged weapons, over the wall, aim for the red eyes when you see them. Come on we have to hold this wall.” She calmly shouted as she bent over the edge to aim her lancer at Doppelord’s face. Her words seemed to rally the group she was with, they all joined her on the edge and within seconds they began to pepper the lord of the undead animated with various projectiles. Bullets, arrows, fireballs, small pulses of light all raced along the wall towards the gaping maw of the stone mask Doppelord called a face.

The monster screamed in pain as bits of his face chipped off from the attacks. He let go of the wall with one hand and ran it along his face trying to shield himself from further attacks. “Hey you think he’d like a lava face-mask?” Penelope heard Archer hovering overhead.

“Worth a try.” Penelope focused her flames into her lancer ring and let it begin to build up a charge, as Archer hovered around to get a clear shot at Doppelord’s face. “Pull!” She shouted, Archer’s response was instantaneous. Several large stones flew from the end of his staff and began to plummet towards the monster below, as the stones passed by her Penelope hurled bright fireballs at the stones, as white hot flames met stone the two attacks joined and formed blobs of molten rock, scorching lava rained down on Doppelord causing bits of his flesh to burst into flame. He howled in agony as he let go of the wall and plummeted into the inky black depths below.

“I believe you humans would say, ‘Bump it.’” Archer held out his fist to Penelope as he landed on the wall beside her. She just looked at him with a chuckle and smiled as she bumped his fist with her own.

Kerri watched the strange sight of the Anari adopting a human mannerism, but as she considered their origins it made a bit of sense. They were after all patterned from aspects of their creators’ personas. She pushed aside the thoughts of what she’d observed as winged animated screamed overhead. They were twisted mixes of Garghoul and Valkyrian features as if someone had decided to make a Frankenstein creature in a laboratory. As she thought on it, Kerri reached the conclusion that that had been exactly how they were created by The Phantom. It was her job to keep them from dive bombing the walls. After the initial waves of attackers had been pushed off of the walls, The Phantom had begun to deploy these monstrosities to literally explode on impact with the walls. Streaks of light and energy danced from Kerri’s rings as she targeted the Frankenfliers, as she’d dubbed them, “Take them one at a time Kerri,” She whispered to herself as she aimed at the closest flier. As long as they kept coming in these small groups the lone fighter high atop the tower could keep up with them. She did take notice of the small peppering of lights on the walls below that also shot towards the fliers.

She heard the distinctive shrieks they let out as one raced towards her tower perch. It was coming much too fast for her to accurately aim. “What did Michael always say? Lead where you think it’s going and breath. Okay,” she took a deep breath and tilted her aim to cross between the Frankenflier and the tower. She heard the crackling sound of her attack making contact, but the flier was still on approach, she’d only nicked one of the wings and it was now spinning as it flew. As Kerri braced herself against the tower she saw crystals of ice envelop the flier and heard the whirling sound of the Anari’s back mounted propeller as Deanna rose into view.

“Your aim is much better than when we first met, but you have a ways to go yet.” Deanna chuckled as she landed next to Kerri.

“What brings you to my tower? Are you here to rescue me from the evil dragon below?” Kerri jokingly retorted. No sooner had the words left her lips than the sound of something rushing overhead drowned out the din of battle below. The wind rushed past her as the shadow of a massive dragon engulfed her tower battlement. “I just had to say something.” She watched as the massive Tridra lifted into the air and began to drop over the tower, in a rushed decision she dragged Deanna to the edge and jumped. She didn’t have to look behind her to imagine the devastation from the beast crashing through the tower, chunks of stone sailed past her as she fell through the air. The sounds of an angry dragon hissing and bellowing filled the air as it turned about in the ruined tower. Finally, her wings sprouted and brought her descent to a halt, Kerri floundered a moment to right herself in midair as she stared down the trio of angry faces. What traces of humanity were left in the previous Tridra had been erased from this one, this one acted savage like all the other animated bosses. She lost sight of Deanna as she continued tumbling down, but her focus was Tridra, a faint ripple crossed its flesh as its muscles tensed up.

“Alright, let’s dance.” She felt the wind rush past her face as she accelerated towards her foe, the massive dragon roared as it pushed off of the tower ruins towards her. As the two crossed in midair Kerri rolled to her right and peppered the closest head with lumps of shadow. As the inky black blobs dotted the heads of the creature, a few found their marks and splashed over its eyes. She turned as she crossed over the ruined tower and turned to face the dragon once more. Two heads, she’d managed to blind two heads, and she breathed a sigh of relief, it was time for a second pass and another shot at that last head. But instead of moving to attack her Tridra flew away, leaving Kerri staring confusedly as she hovered in the air.

Jeremy turned his eyes away from watching Kerri overhead to examine the damaged golems surrounding him. “So, it’s eight of you against me huh? That suits me just fine,” Jeremy smirked as he spun in a whirling dervish. Blades spun around him in the vortex lashing against the golems drawn in, deep gashes cut into each of their bodies as the whirling vortex threw them backwards. Jeremy panted as he took a knee unleashing that attack had drained the last of his stamina. Jeremy shot to his feet and moved as a molten mound of lava struck the ground where he’d been kneeling. As he stood upright he saw the delicate legs of Lavafly landed on the ground.

Lavafly’s mandibles clicked furiously as its compound eyes glittered in the pale light of the stars. It sounded like it was sucking in air as the space between its mandibles began glowing a dull orange. “Seriously, a glow? You’re giving away the timing of your attacks that way, even someone as slow as me can predict and avoid them.” Jeremy fired several miniature cyclones at Lavafly as it spat several small blobs of molten rock. Puffs of smoke erupted wherever a cyclone and molten mound collided. “Hmm, multiple projectiles, that complicates things.” Jeremy had to run to avoid the molten mounds that had not been caught by mini-cyclones.

Vines erupted from the ground and whipped away some of the incoming projectiles before bursting into flames. “That won’t hold them back long. I’ll hold him as long as I can, you squelch his flames.” Miles landed between Jeremy and Lavafly, his eyes gleaming green with energy as he summoned more vines. The vines raced across the stonework ground and wrapped around Lavafly’s legs. The insect struggled to try and drag itself into the air as vines stretched and reached to hold it down. Jeremy focused all his energy into another cyclone and directed it toward the struggling insect. It flopped several times trying to escape the vines’ grip to avoid the approaching whirlwind, but insect and vines were engulfed by the howling vortex. It belched flames and smoke struggling to breathe in the cyclone, but Jeremy kept his focus on the vortex as it sucked all the air away from Lavafly’s flames. The once orange and red creature became a withered gray as the flames running along its body flickered and died. Jeremy and Miles both exhausted fell to their knees as the beast before them ceased to struggle. The two of them exchanged a wordless smile before bumping their fists together.

“That kid’s almost as mouthy as his teacher now.” John chuckled to himself as he watched from one of the walkways along the wall. He couldn’t help but smile as he saw Jeremy extinguish Lavafly’s flames. His smile quickly faded as he heard a snarl that echoed across the walkway, he turned and grimaced as he saw the ice encrusted He-Wolf’s cold breath hanging in the air as it snarled at him. “Bad doggy.” John turned to face the menace on the wall. He slid under He-Wolf as the monster leapt towards him.

The monster let out a howl that spewed forth frozen breath from its gnarled jaws. John raised his arm instinctively and a wall of earth erupted from the ground in front of him. The cold breath of the He-Wolf struck the wall and ice crystals began to crawl all along the surface of the soil. He-Wolf growled and snarled as it observed its Freezing Howl only left small patches of frost on John’s earth wall. With a flick of its paw razor sharp icy nails burst from its paws and climbed across the long bone-white nails. It barked as slashed across the earthen wall with its ice encrusted paws. John shuddered as each slash tore pieces of rock and dirt from the wall, a small hole began to form and through it John could glimpse the ferocity of his foe. “Good bye!” John released the energy he was building and a massive fist made of earth rose from the ground and slammed into the He-Wolf launching it into the air, he shifted his hands and another fist twisted out of the ground and slammed into the helpless wolf and pushed it over the wall. He-Wolf whimpered several times as he turned end over end several times falling into the abyss below the castle.

John let out a soft sigh as he leaned against the wall watching his foe disappear into the darkness below. “And I thought Michael was crazy when he said it was possible to solo most of the bosses. Guess it just goes to show I can still learn some new tricks.” John took a moment to relax and look around at the scene around him. Whether by laid out plans or by some miracle the assembly of humans and friendly animated were holding off the advances of The Phantom’s troops. “None of this is going to matter if we can’t cut off the source.” He scanned the field until he saw Mikey fending off six golems alone, John swallowed and charged right into the thick of battle. “Hey Mikey!” John yelled as he crashed into a pair of the golems.

“I know John, they just keep coming.” Mikey punched one golem and stabbed another. He was panting as he blinded the last two and blew up their heads. “I have an idea but I need to get back to that door under the castle.”

“But we all saw, there was no way to open that door.” John taped down a swarm of golems while Mikey cut them apart one at a time.

“There was a way to open it, a riddle and a key. Why didn’t I think about it until now though? That keyhole was round, and the perfect size for our elemental amulets. And that riddle it must have something to do with the order to insert them in.” There was an explosion as Kimberly was hurled to John and Mikey’s feet, as the dust and echoes cleared they could hear The Phantom’s insane laughter.

“Did you seriously think a lowly program could hold their own a fight against me? I’m almost insulted.” The Phantom stopped to stare down John and Mikey as they helped Kimberly to her feet. He snarled and took a step back when he saw the others landing beside them. “So you’re all finally back together. I can destroy you in one go.” He began laughing again as he threw a shimmering silver ball of energy at the group.

“Not going to happen!” Henry held firm to the shield as it expanded to the same size as the incoming energy attack. “No way, it can do that?” He looked in disbelief as the energy crashed into the shield.

Mikey smirked at Henry’s comment as they clustered together, “Okay everyone, I have a plan.”

The Phantom slowly approached as Mikey finished whispering something to his team. “Finally ready to give up? You all look so exhausted,” He sneered as he twisted the cane he carried revealing a jagged looking blade.

“And break,” Mikey said as they began to back away towards the castle interior. The group of humans only stopped to fire energy at The Phantom enough to cause him to stop and delay.

They aren’t even bothering to use elements on their attacks? What little plan do they think will win today? With a grin The Phantom raised his hand as it pulsed with a dark energy. “Arise my generals! It is time to finish these children playing hero.” One by one his bosses he’d so meticulously crafted followed behind him as he blasted away parts of the castle pursuing the team of humans and the traitorous KJ. The humans remained just out of his range. And he motioned for He-Wolf to pursue the team. With a snarl the elder wolf quickened his pace until he was just behind the group.

“Well Michael. Good luck. I’ll hold as best I can here.” John tossed his amulet to Mikey as he turned to face the snarling menace.

“John, I-“ Mikey began before he stopped and simply nodded as they continued deeper into the castle. They could hear the whimpers of the beast echoing through the halls as John fought, but as time wore on and they went deeper down the sounds ceased. “John thank you for what time you could buy us.” Mikey whispered as they came to a large stone door to go further in. As they opened the door part of the wall collapsed and an agitated Phantom stepped forward.

“You are making this far more difficult than it needs to be. Caracarapticus, get them.” The flying creature swooped down upon the group and was immediately pushed back by their attacks.

Jeremy stared into the crimson eyes as he handed his amulet to Mikey, “Keep going you guys. I can handle this one. Go!” He slammed the door shut after everyone else was through and took a defensive stance. “I finally get to be a hero, and I’m going to die for it. Well at least I get to troll someone one last time.” He smirked to himself as he dodged each of the attacks Caracarapticus had tried. “Lord of the skies? More like lord of the tries. Come on really try this time.” Jeremy taunted as he landed several hits. His eyes widened as a bone smashed into his stomach, and as his vision cleared he could see Frosti joining Caracarapticus. “So now it’s two on one, nothing too hard.”

Mikey clutched the two amulets in his hand as they continued deeper down into the castle. They could feel the occasional shakes and tremors from above and they hoped it was a sign of how well Jeremy was managing. No words passed as the frequency of tremors decreased and their magnitude shrunk, they exchanged worried glances as they passed through the next door way. By Mikey’s memory they had one more doorway before the lock to the chamber. Their pace increased as they could hear rumbling beginning to filter down the hallways they had come down. Mikey frowned to himself as he realized it meant Jeremy was defeated and The Phantom was moving past on his way after them. The hallways behind them began to glow a strange orange and became very hot.

“We’re about to have company.” Henry put his amulet in Mikey’s hand as he pushed Mikey through the door.

“We have a better chance of holding them here with two of us.” Penelope smirked as she handed Mikey her amulet and stood beside Henry. “Besides, I have no intention of letting you get out on our promise.” As her and Henry braced for the approaching heat The sound that echoed down the hallway made them both tremble as they looked at each other. As they looked back they saw part of the stone melt under lava dripping from Lavafly’s gaping maw. Their eyes widened as they spotted Malevobear and Registered Offender.

“Today is a good day to die.”

Mikey, Kerri, and Kimberly’s footfalls echoed on the stone floors as they saw the locked gate looming ahead. Muted sounds from Henry and Penelope fighting whatever monsters had befallen them greeted their ears as they moved across the last room. Mikey looked down grimly feeling responsible, it was his plan to make it to the door no matter what, even if it meant they had to leave people behind, but that thought did not assuage his guilt. It was Henry who had said Mikey and Kimberly have to make it to the chamber. He still didn’t understand Henry’s choice but he didn’t want to question it now. The castle rumbled several times as they finally stood before the gateway. And Mikey searched it for the text about how to enter the amulets. He found first the cylindrical hole he believed they had to be placed in and beside it he found the worn out text.

“’The world was born in darkness, from this darkness an ocean rose to contain the life the gods created.’” He read thinking before looking at Kerri, “I need yours first. The world was born in darkness.”

“Alright,” She handed her amulet to Mikey and he slid it into the base of the lock. The text and outline of the lock began glowing purple as it made a clicking sound. “Well that’s a start. The clamoring from above has gone silent. Which means we’re going to have company soon.”

“Ocean… Water, Henry’s,” Mikey inserted the Water Amulet from Henry and watched the glowing color become purple-blue as it made another clicking sound. “’Life colonized the land gazing ever skyward.’ Earth then Air…” He muttered to himself inserting John’s Earth Amulet, the outline took on muted brown tones that mixed with the purple-blue as another clicking sound came. Mikey then inserted Jeremy’s Air Amulet and a bit of green was added to the coloration with another click.

A large rumble could be heard at the other side of the room and Kerri braced herself as she glanced back at Mikey, “I don’t think the approaching company is going to be friendly, better hurry up.”

“Don’t need to tell me twice, ‘In the warmth and light of the world life began its measure of time. With arms outstretched the human reach sought to bend time.” Mikey puzzled looking at the last two amulets in his hands, “So which was first?”

“Just use the order they came in, fire brings warmth and would make sense for evolving life to create. Light of the sun is what is probably meant by light of the world.” There was another crash as Kimberly shouted to be heard over it.

“Fire,” He inserted Penelope’s Fire Amulet which added a red tone to the outlines with another click. “Light,” He inserted his Light Amulet and a golden color was added to the outlines with another click. The outlines darkened and began to pulse silver. “Now what?”

Another large crash could be heard and this time dust and rock were tossed forward towards Mikey, Kerri, and Kimberly, “I do hate intruding when you’re so close. But your friends seemed to have otherwise occupied my remaining generals.” The Phantom growled as he began to step across the stone floor.

“Arms outstretched, human reach. Touch the directions.” Kerri watched as Mikey did so, the pulsing of the outlines stopped as the door began to slide open. “Whatever’s in there, good luck,” Kerri took Mikey’s sword as she pushed him and Kimberly through the open door. She waited until she heard it seal shut again before looking at The Phantom. “You’re too late. The door won’t open for either of us without more amulets. And if you could open it by force you wouldn’t have needed us to reach it,” Kerri grinned as she gripped the sword’s hilt with both her hands.

The Phantom’s face noticeably twitched from her comment, “A minor setback at best. Do you really think you can fend me off with that toothpick, not even your boyfriend knew how to open its full potential,” Energy crackled across his jagged blade.

“I’m keeping you busy and that’s all that matters now,” Their blades sparked as they clashed several times. The Phantom’s eyes widened as he realized Kerri knew just as much about wielding the sword as Mikey did.
Oh wow the last time this updated I was still in college (which is not really saying much because that was last year but still). Gonna have to reread the whole thing to remember what the hell is going on. I vaguely remember something about people going into zOMG and also some drama. *nodnod*

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff